Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's grimly fascinating when you realize just how many British atrocities are acknowledged by historians but completely invisible to the public consciousness. People are sort of vaguely aware of the Irish potato famine but all those Indian famines, right up to the midst of World War II, went right down the memory hole. Sure, you can look them up in a few obscure sources or the occasional book published in the left-wing press, and serious historians don't actually deny that they happened, but the amount of selective forgetfulness is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the approximate british consensus is that the empire was maybe a bit rude so don't brag around outsiders but we civilised the savages and they should be grateful

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Helsing posted:

It's grimly fascinating when you realize just how many British atrocities are acknowledged by historians but completely invisible to the public consciousness. People are sort of vaguely aware of the Irish potato famine but all those Indian famines, right up to the midst of World War II, went right down the memory hole. Sure, you can look them up in a few obscure sources or the occasional book published in the left-wing press, and serious historians don't actually deny that they happened, but the amount of selective forgetfulness is astounding.

WW2 was a big Lysol wipe over Anglo-American history.

Though I have to say post-Iraq war a lot of patriotic hawkish types don't even bother with the moral high ground argument anymore.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dinesh D'Souza is proudly pro-colonialist and spends a big portion of his weird movie about Obama's Dad arguing that much of Asia was better off under the British Empire (including India, where he is from). I'm sure this isn't terribly uncommon among Anglo neocons, theyre still all about the white man's burden

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

tbf to the British colonial administrators, they probably would have let their own poor people starve too

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Fullhouse posted:

Dinesh D'Souza is proudly pro-colonialist and spends a big portion of his weird movie about Obama's Dad arguing that much of Asia was better off under the British Empire (including India, where he is from). I'm sure this isn't terribly uncommon among Anglo neocons, theyre still all about the white man's burden

This is an established career path in British journalism and academia. The "pro-empire wog" character goes right back to the early Victorian era, D"Souza just plies it on Americans.

Plus now we've got the Niall Fergusson "colonialism was wrong, but now that I've got that out of the way let me praise every single thing about it" school too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

is d'souza's family from goa? that was never british, it's easy for him to say "the british empire was good" if he were on the outside looking in

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
has corbyn instituded full school lunch communism yet

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Pomp posted:

has corbyn instituded full school lunch communism yet

not quite, but the good news is that we're all hopelessly hosed for life. i hope that's some consolation?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Helsing posted:

Even the potato famine was taught much more as "this terrible thing that happened" rather than an the logical end result of British colonial policy.

The Almighty, indeed, sent the potato blight, but the English created the famine.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the english are God's blight

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kurtofan posted:

the english are God's blight

that's why it's called old blighty

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A cool book on this subject is Britain's Empire: Resistance, Repression and Revolt by Richard Gott (2001), which aims to deconstruct the British version of empire history in which the British where met with only minimal violence and resistance.

Here's a quote from a 2001 guardian review, lol how the times have changed:

Guardian review posted:

Gott has done well to remind us that violence was always at the centre of the "empire story". But this is not a book to make any British person feel guilty. For guilt could arise only if the reader made a narcissistic identification with the past of the British empire. Gott shows instead that today's Britons can, if they dare, choose to identify with the rebels rather than the conquerors, and to claim Lakshmi Bai and Gandhi, rather than Victoria and Churchill, as spiritual ancestors.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/dec/07/britains-empire-richard-gott-review

oliwan has issued a correction as of 12:41 on May 3, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it would be much fairer for the average Briton to hold up the everyday everyman who didn't give a poo poo about the colonies, and was being cheerfully robbed at home themselves as their idol, because that's a much more realistic and representative example for most of us than Chin Peng or Ghandi.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"I'm the Qahtan Muhammad al-Shaabi of trying not to fall behind too far on my gas bill and to get a pay rise in line with or slightly above inflation."
"Same."

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

oliwan posted:

A cool book on this subject is Britain's Empire: Resistance, Repression and Revolt by Richard Gott (2001), which aims to deconstruct the British version of empire history in which the British where met with only minimal violence and resistance.

Here's a quote from a 2001 guardian review, lol how the times have changed:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/dec/07/britains-empire-richard-gott-review

lmao grauniad as gently caress

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
there's one thing that gives me solace in these trump filled times, and that's that no matter how bad it is here in the us, it's worse in the uk. schadenfreude sustains me.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/janinegibson/status/859873524005163008
https://twitter.com/janinegibson/status/859873995679780870

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

there's one thing that gives me solace in these trump filled times, and that's that no matter how bad it is here in the us, it's worse in the uk. schadenfreude sustains me.
we're constantly one-upping each other in stupidity. god has truly blessed the anglo-american alliance

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The feelings of the British people are about to be hurt

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
someone found the last horcrux

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mycroft Holmes posted:

while the nhs still exists this isn't true

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Yeah we have the moral high ground since trump only got in on a technicality, the American people were wise and picked Hillary by a big margin, but the brits legit voted for brexit.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

while the nhs still exists this isn't true
I have bad news for you...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

someone found the last horcrux
no harry potter references on star wars day please

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/jxckhy/status/859922949331181569

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

get that OUT of my face posted:

no harry potter references on star wars day please

Theresa May the force be with you

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yer a Jedi, Harry

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

corbyn wouldn't use a shield smh

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I swear John Harris is one of the few journalists left who actually has real conversations with ordinary people, but yeah, his web series was really good last election and it seems to be hitting the same notes here. As bleak as Britain circa 2017 deserves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9SqH7ynY1g

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

where is the original interview

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Everyone except the conservatives gets destroyed at the local elections confirming our descent into a third rate shithole run by an incompetent authoritarian Christian.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

Everyone except the conservatives gets destroyed at the local elections confirming our descent into a third rate shithole run by an incompetent authoritarian Christian.

probably because the government have been deliberately making cuts worst at councils they didn't control

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

labour~

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SNP are probably bad because the Scots are just going to keep refusing to leave the UK.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nonsense posted:

SNP are probably bad because the Scots are just going to keep refusing to leave the UK.

Yeah "scotland the brave" is some particularly lovely joke.

In shocking news: the arrogant jackass jeremy corbyn has again refused to resign after leading his party to disaster in a major election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
corbyn is going to get rear end-hosed because he is an uncompromising marxist and it turns out you have to be flexible on a lot of issues to be liked by dozens of millions enough to be voted into power