Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

NuclearPotato posted:

Yeah, Taito used that to make the sprite artwork on their games back in the early 90's, from what I understand.

what the hell is there a video of this being used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

No video, but I dug up this article with more screenshots after a bit of searching:

http://videogamesdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/160230210495/when-graphic-designers-from-taito-snk-and-other

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That thing actually has a lot of very useful shortcuts that a modern sprite artist would love to have in something like Photoshop. My Japanese is extremely basic but it looks like there's buttons to move the cursor up/left/down/right by one or eight pixels, a mirror flip button for horizontal or vertical, area and line drawing buttons, an animation control and an eraser button. This genuinely looks like an easier way of drawing pixel art than clicking with a mouse, in an era before the tablet stylus.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

quote:

You would use the joystick and the buttons to draw the sprite. He didn’t believe this when he started there, until one of the higher ups showed him by firing up one of the machines and drawing a kickass sprite of Robert Garcia in like 10 minutes”.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
with cabbagepots probated until 2028 he might have that giant fetish fighting game ready for that years evo

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dhamster posted:

I changed my mind, this is the ultimate control method.

This is cool but Sega had a dedicated workstation with a touchscreen

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It recently came out that Sakurai's development hardware for Kirby's Adventure was a Twin Famicom with a trackball controller and an on-screen keyboard interface.

The graphics for some of Nintendo's later arcade games like Punch-Out were input with a Famicom controller as well, I think.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my posts are cursed

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://compete.kotaku.com/in-this-fighting-game-tournament-each-round-lasts-two-1794964919

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

it has to be like this since you can run away forever since there's no corners. horrible game

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've never been able to get into a Tekken game, but drat it, T7 looks pretty cool.

Is stick required for Tekken or can you play it okay on a regular pad? Also, is there going to be cross-platform play?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

DizzyBum posted:

I've never been able to get into a Tekken game, but drat it, T7 looks pretty cool.

Is stick required for Tekken or can you play it okay on a regular pad? Also, is there going to be cross-platform play?

A lot of high level players play on pad, play with what makes you feel comfortable.

There will be no cross platform play

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Tekken is probably the game where pad players are most common

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

inthesto posted:

Tekken is probably the game where pad players are most common

Mortal Kombat

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

That's awesome, it's like a tournament for the tag team counters from Project Justice.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Wasn't it Tekken 5 that actually had slots for PS2 controllers in the arcade machines?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Medullah posted:

Wasn't it Tekken 5 that actually had slots for PS2 controllers in the arcade machines?

ya

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DizzyBum posted:

Between lots of tap motions and the importance of returning to neutral, a controller is a great way to play Tekken. I like to claw grip the buttons and map throws to L1, L2.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
hey madcatz is dead now

what should I get if I'm a sanwa boy that wants a new stick

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hace posted:

hey madcatz is dead now

what should I get if I'm a sanwa boy that wants a new stick

A hrap and sanwa parts to put in it, a razer, or a qanba

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
cool thanks

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I am excited for some Tekken you guys

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Did you guys see the doggo from the Punch Planet game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j13HC9ePWrs

This is important because I like dogs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That looks...rough...

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

T7 not having cross platform makes me feel it's going to be dead on PC.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
PC versions of fighters are almost always the superior choice.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Unless you want to play against other people

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I get em on the console. :shrug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Keegers posted:

It'll be populated with Koreans.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
I can't see it being just dead. Tekken is a huge series, and the game won't be awful. There should be plenty of people around here at least to play with on PC.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Keegers posted:

SF4 didn't have crossplay and it seemed to have a healthy PC population at the tail end of USF4 on Steam.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

teagone posted:

SF4 didn't have crossplay and it seemed to have a healthy PC population at the tail end of USF4 on Steam.

Tekken - 44 million[4]

Super Smash Bros.- 40 million

Street Fighter - 39 million [5]

Mortal Kombat - 37 million

Soulcalibur - 12 million

I take back my statement. No idea tekken sells more than sf.

Edit: source

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

PC versions of fighters are almost always the superior choice.

unless its just a poo poo console port

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

KungFu Grip posted:

unless its just a poo poo console port

Since T7 is built on Unreal 4, wouldn't that make it easier to port to PC? I'm just assuming this outta my rear end with no development knowledge whatsoever.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Keegers posted:

Tekken - 44 million[4]

Super Smash Bros.- 40 million

Street Fighter - 39 million [5]

Mortal Kombat - 37 million

Soulcalibur - 12 million

I take back my statement. No idea tekken sells more than sf.

Edit: source

if these are lifetime sales for the series, keep in mind that Tekken was new and very popular during a time when Mortal Kombat was outputting complete bullshit (more than usual, I mean) and Street Fighter 3 was only on the Dreamcast

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MKX runs on UE3 and was made and ported by non-Japanese studios and they still hosed up the port.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DoubleDonut posted:

if these are lifetime sales for the series, keep in mind that Tekken was new and very popular during a time when Mortal Kombat was outputting complete bullshit (more than usual, I mean) and Street Fighter 3 was only on the Dreamcast

tekken 3 was like literally the only 3d fighting game that wasnt trash and released on a not trash console, making it the only actual fighting game to the average consumer in the year 1998

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DoubleDonut posted:

There's also the fact that Street Fighter was king when arcades were the primary way to play fighting games, not consoles. Not to mention gaming wasn't as "mainstream" in the 16-bit era as it was in the PS2 and even PSX days. Tekken is still a major series, but judging by life-time sales of Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 it isn't the juggernaut it once was. It seems only Super Smash Bros. and to lesser extent Mortal Kombat still maintain their heavyweight status that they carried on from yesteryears.

anime was right posted:

tekken 3 was like literally the only 3d fighting game that wasnt trash and released on a not trash console, making it the only actual fighting game to the average consumer in the year 1998

This is a good point. The alternative 3D fighting games available on the mainstream consoles in the West at the time were Dead or Alive, Soul Blade, and (I guess?) Tobal No. 1. The were actually a few more, but they were really bad. Like really really bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MKX runs on UE3 and was made and ported by non-Japanese studios and they still hosed up the port.

That has more to do with Warner Bros. than it does with how fighting game developers view PC ports.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 6, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I like my Saturn and my Saturn likes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

anime was right posted:

bushido blade came out in 1997