Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

John Charity Spring posted:

India is split between the Maratha Confederacy and the Mughal Empire and the Marathas are almost sure to win since they're the playable faction with the better roster. Then they face no serious competition in their home territory (unless the player intervenes) and can launch world conquest from there. Empire: Total War went from AI nations being unable to transport armies from one theatre to the next, to the Maratha Confederacy semi-reliably mounting full-scale naval invasions of Britain in some reversal of history. Which is pretty funny but also a definitely unintended bit of balancing.

This is sort of beautiful and I look forward to it being used in British Empire apologia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was funny until the 3rd or 4th game where said blob kept throwing a spanner in my end game works. Austria you fucks, I had good long term trade relations with you and left you mainland Europe and hoped you'd fight them seeing as your a completely different religion but no got to gently caress with the player close to actually finishing the game instead!

The Mughals really should a)be equal to them in strength and b)in the perfect world with ETW, we'd have a slightly bigger India with more factions involved!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess in a perfect world I'd like a little slider that dictates how off the wall things are allowed to get in historical games, so that at one end it's mega-India invading Russia and at the other India is crushed by penalties and the British start interfering there at set times with hefty bonuses.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fangz posted:

I guess in a perfect world I'd like a little slider that dictates how off the wall things are allowed to get in historical games, so that at one end it's mega-India invading Russia and at the other India is crushed by penalties and the British start interfering there at set times with hefty bonuses.

Really it is something they should look into putting more attention too. I love it when these games go alt history crazy now (as long as it doesn't gently caress with my own plans of course) so perhaps having a gameplay mechanic that monitors or controls it would be great. Letting people turn it off too will let the more unfun by the books type not need to scrape out another mod.

The irony of my frustration is that because I decided to focus on just dealing with North America, I needed to max out my trade and the Maratha were more than happy to trade with me and I didn't have much else choice....

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's one of the reasons I like Shogun 2 and Attila so much, things going kind of crazy doesn't seem all that weird, it fits the settings.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's the reason I like to pick the full length campaigns now and start right the beginning too, I dislike the medium and short stuff because all that potential crazy never occurs.

I still remember the time where for some reason the HRE in ETW decided a North African Empire benefitted them more than keeping the Balkans, or Sweden taking over all of Russia.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I haven't played Empire in a while, but don't the Mughals have poo poo units that get shut down by anyone using line infantry?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

I haven't played Empire in a while, but don't the Mughals have poo poo units that get shut down by anyone using line infantry?

This means nothing in AI versus AI auto resolve. The cruel cold nature of math and statistics are the masters of that domain not musket nor sword.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

This means nothing in AI versus AI auto resolve. The cruel cold nature of math and statistics are the masters of that domain not musket nor sword.

Oh yeah I wasn't talking about their ability to blob, but about that blob's ability to effectively fight the player.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Really it is something they should look into putting more attention too. I love it when these games go alt history crazy now (as long as it doesn't gently caress with my own plans of course) so perhaps having a gameplay mechanic that monitors or controls it would be great. Letting people turn it off too will let the more unfun by the books type not need to scrape out another mod.

The irony of my frustration is that because I decided to focus on just dealing with North America, I needed to max out my trade and the Maratha were more than happy to trade with me and I didn't have much else choice....

Yeah this is something Paradox games are generally pretty good at. EU4 has the "lucky nations" option which gives bonuses to nations that did well, historically, so they'll be more likely to survive and follow their historical routes, but when you turn it off everyone is on equal footing.

I'm not sure how they'd really do it for TW games though. You can't really just "turn off" the advantages playable factions have, because those advantages usually are that they just have better troop rosters than the generic set the non-playable factions get. Maybe it could be more of an AI tweak, where on "historical" settings, the AI would be less aggressive once they've achieved their historical borders, leading to a generally more stable world with conflicts mostly occurring over one or two disputed territories rather than whole factions getting swallowed up by others.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There's a mod for Rome 2 that tweaks auto-resolves to immensely favor whichever AI nations you put on a list. All sorts of adjustments for it too so you can choose whether they dominate or just have an advantage, and whether they try to hide it from the player or just do it openly and so on. It works pretty well for ensuring certain factions thrive.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Goddamnit, I am getting an itch to play Total War: Empire of all things. What mod should I be getting to make the experience the least painful possible?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZearothK posted:

Goddamnit, I am getting an itch to play Total War: Empire of all things. What mod should I be getting to make the experience the least painful possible?

Imperial Splendour and the no forts mod. gently caress fort battles in Empire, they are just godawful.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's the reason I like to pick the full length campaigns now and start right the beginning too, I dislike the medium and short stuff because all that potential crazy never occurs.

I still remember the time where for some reason the HRE in ETW decided a North African Empire benefitted them more than keeping the Balkans, or Sweden taking over all of Russia.

ETW seems a lot more vulnerable to that sort of thing than the other games, for a couple of silly reasons. First, massive transcontinental empires like the French and Dutch have only one or two European provinces, and their overseas territories either declare independence or dissolve if they lose them. I've seen France get knocked out in two turns by a massively weakened Austria, then come back while Quebec just sits there, hating them.

Second, the diplomatic AI is loving stupid. Why yes Prussia, I, the great rani of the Marathan empire would love to trade one of my core territories for Silesia. You're not just doing this to get out of that spot of bother with the Poles, are you?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's always funny as hell to remember that all of France in ETW is considered just one province.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

It's always funny as hell to remember that all of France in ETW is considered just one province.

^Germanic propaganda

(It's France and Alsace-Lorraine :ssh:)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In my first ever game of E:TW I attacked and conquered France on turn 5. It was not super well-balanced.

I then turned off taxes to deal with the unrest, and when I remembered to turn them on again like 70 years later there were 120 million people in France.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sadly to this day they still haven't found a way to edit that campaign map in ETW now. A shame, too.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gobblecoque posted:

I found this super weird too. Maybe it simulates how centralized the country was back then, or something.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The thinking was that the distribution of important buildings throughout a province in minor settlements (away from the fortified capital) would incentivise defending and fighting to control other locations, not just the capital, as well as making certain provinces that have a surfeit of locations more valuable than others (like France). It's a decent idea in theory and, to some extent, it works - it just doesn't work for a single province as big as France, and the subsequent approach of provinces split into regions that you can capture individually works a lot better in practice.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah, it is a shame the game was a complete fire during testing (they launched way too early) they might have picked up the fact that by 1730-40 the game being decided might not be the best of balance.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, it is a shame the game was a complete fire during testing (they launched way too early) they might have picked up the fact that by 1730-40 the game being decided might not be the best of balance.

I remember buying it on release, playing about half an hour then uninstalling it. It was such a buggy piece of poo poo

re: The Maratha's. Bit the bullet and sent four max stack armies into India, and after about 30 turns they have three provinces left. The Mughals re-emerged so I gave them some cash and tech and they immediately expanded from one province to four, but that's crumbled to two now I've decided that they're going to die as well. Just crushing their max stacked by un-teched armies just seems to drain their will to fight

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I will never understand why it launched so early. Did somebody in SEGA bet their house or something and needed to pay off a gambling debt fast?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I distinctly remember doing the artillery tutorial and watching the gunners slide as if on ice when loading and firing

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was a game where the development team thought Quality Assurance was a super cheap poundland version of sweets.

i'll never forgive them for choosing to dish out the interesting looking units with DLC and just doing the bland template thing with the games units.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Something about Total War in the Empire setting just doesn't feel right to me. I don't know why, but conquering the world in the 1700s as the Austrian Empire is weird compared to conquering Europe in the 1300s as the Holy Roman Empire. Especially when you can build "Austrian" soldiers in India or whatever.

Maybe Paradox games have poisoned my brain. Something something rise of nationalism during this period something something.

Also Empire definitely suffers from its ambition of "a Total War game where the map is THE WORLD" because then you inevitably get stuff like one-province France.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

disjoe posted:

Something about Total War in the Empire setting just doesn't feel right to me. I don't know why, but conquering the world in the 1700s as the Austrian Empire is weird compared to conquering Europe in the 1300s as the Holy Roman Empire. Especially when you can build "Austrian" soldiers in India or whatever.

Maybe Paradox games have poisoned my brain. Something something rise of nationalism during this period something something.

Also Empire definitely suffers from its ambition of "a Total War game where the map is THE WORLD" because then you inevitably get stuff like one-province France.

It's funny because the whole "Rise of nationalism" is very much present in another Total War game... Attila.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sadly to this day they still haven't found a way to edit that campaign map in ETW now. A shame, too.

The early version of the Warscape engine that Empire and Napoleon use is a total shambles with way too many hard coded absolutes.
What I remember most about Empire was their hilariously inept depiction of towns, TWC's meltdown over mandatory steam connections, and CA's current PR guy Keiran Brigden pretty much saying "sorry not sorry" during any public statement.

Oh and I remember when it came out that exactly one person had been working on the AI and then he quit, which led to the moronic enemy forces who couldn't stand in a straight line.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hope that guy has got a really petty nickname from his former work colleagues or something now.

Also disjoe, don't take the game too seriously. I've always pictured it as just an over the top version of RISK set in a Blackadder inspired alternate history. How else would this explain the fact that soldiers are ugly as sin clones with the same vague height, uniforms and the fact everyone is telepathic and must fight to the death?

I still think they should have kept the map and models design for the campaign, It fit the theme fine.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

My favourite weird AI trick was from Medieval 1, I'd wiped out an entire French army except one unit of cavalry who would refuse to rout. So I sent my remaining cavalry after them and the proceeded to act out a chase reminiscent of Benny Hill in max speed until the time limit was reached

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ty whoever recommended oriental empires, drat good game aside from some glaring issues with the AI.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Deltasquid posted:

I found this super weird too. Maybe it simulates how centralized the country was back then, or something.

If there's one thing I learned by listening to the French Revolutions part of the Revolutions podcast, it's that Paris is fully the most important part of France by a significant margin, and as it goes so goes most the country.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

My favourite weird AI trick was from Medieval 1, I'd wiped out an entire French army except one unit of cavalry who would refuse to rout. So I sent my remaining cavalry after them and the proceeded to act out a chase reminiscent of Benny Hill in max speed until the time limit was reached

Funny thing about the Risk-style map in that one: if you attacked one province with an overwhelming army the AI would usually retreat into a neighbouring province. If you move another army into their target province in the same turn, the first army will disappear instead of fighting. This meant that, for example, the HRE could conquer Poland's initial three provinces by moving an army into each of them on the same turn and only one of them (typically the weakest, usually consisting of some basic spearmen and town milita) would actually fight you, the other two being lost in the ether.

One thing about the first Shogun that was slightly frustrating was how your army would always enter the battlemap from the same direction regardless of which province they entered from. The northwesternmost province on Kyushu would always be a bridge map where the enemy was on the far side and would block your crossing, even if you sent in one army from each of the adjacent provinces.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sky Shadowing posted:

If there's one thing I learned by listening to the French Revolutions part of the Revolutions podcast, it's that Paris is fully the most important part of France by a significant margin, and as it goes so goes most the country.

On a bit of a tangent, but the Haiti Revolution follow-up/companion piece of that was so great. They lived so far away that every time they got the news from France EVERYTHING had changed and they had to wildly overcompensate to get back in line only to discover that things had completely changed again by the next time a news dispatch arrived.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

turkish horse archers with skirmish mode on in Medieval 2 :allears:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
At least M2 would force an auto-rout after a while of this.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
One of my main memories of Empire Total War's marketing campaign is that they put out a video purporting to demonstrate how the AI would make its army form a 'battalion square' (read: newbie box) if faced with lots of cavalry. This was 100% a lie and the video must have been a multiplayer thing with another player controlling the supposed AI. On top of that, the tactic wouldn't even have worked in-game because it just involved lines of units making up a larger square and lacked the mechanical bonuses from the actual in-game square formation. I've tried to find that video since and failed - I wonder if it was purged from the internet in embarrassment.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Napoleon Total War, Uniform editor. They hired some right desperate shits for PR and promotion.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 8, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I do wonder if an Empire 2 could succeed or if that setting is just un-total-war-able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fangz posted:

I do wonder if an Empire 2 could succeed or if that setting is just un-total-war-able.

I say they should give it another go, Fall Of The Samurai was great.

Just this time hope they actually plan things through and not be overcome by a new engine/SEGA picking them up/STEAM/coders leaving/weird issues with TWC/Modding issues/bad PR and desperate promo DLC. Christ, ETW was really unlucky.