Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
DUCKS DON'T HAVE EARS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tiler Kiwi posted:

DUCKS DON'T HAVE EARS

But they do have money.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

david_a posted:

Alright, you guys have convinced me to embrace my Scandinavian heritage and buy some duck comics.

What about Carl Barks? Although I probably prefer Rosa because of the detail, Don seems to always have considered himself working in his shadow. No Barks, no Rosa. His body of work is pretty intimidatingly gigantic, though. I might pick up some of the more famous ones, like the story that influenced the opening of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Like you said, no Barks, no Rosa. I mean, I could debate the pros and cons of their individual work until the heat death of the universe, but ultimately, they're both legends.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Like you said, no Barks, no Rosa. I mean, I could debate the pros and cons of their individual work until the heat death of the universe, but ultimately, they're both legends.

This. You can't go wrong with any of their work. Though Life And Times of Scrooge should be essential reading for anyone into comics.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein was incredible, but I really appreciate his Swamp Thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's some new TNG Mirror Universe comic out with swole Picard.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

zoux posted:

There's some new TNG Mirror Universe comic out with swole Picard.

Jean-Luc Cage

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
There... are... FOUR squat racks and you guys are doing bicep curls in all of them! The line must be drawn here! No further!

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Animal-Mother posted:

There... are... FOUR squat racks and you guys are doing bicep curls in all of them! The line must be drawn here! No further!

You must ENGAGE your core!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Biceps <- not a plural-s :eng101:

Does anyone else like the Italian Disney artists? I'm especially fond of Massimo De Vita

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Scandinavia got nothing on Finland when it comes to Ducklove. I mean, Don Rosa literally drew and wrote a story for the entire nation of Finland because we love them so much. My greatest treasure is a signed edition of that story. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and many of his other work are not just among the best Duck stories, but among the best comics, period. And as an artist...don't know many who can cram as much detail into a page, no matter what the story is about - he brings his A game to each and every one. I didn't know about his eye problems either, and that loving sucks :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Don Rosa once arrive in either Finland or Norway and was greeted at the airport by a deputation which included the prime minister?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know what language they're initially published in, but we've had european Disney comics here in French Canada ever since I can remember, usually in oversized paperback magazines. In fact one of my friends always thought of Mickey Mouse and Goofy as a detective duo because that's the only version of them he knew when he was growing up.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't Don Rosa once arrive in either Finland or Norway and was greeted at the airport by a deputation which included the prime minister?

Finland. Seriously you can't overestimate how drat popular he is here

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know what language they're initially published in, but we've had european Disney comics here in French Canada ever since I can remember, usually in oversized paperback magazines. In fact one of my friends always thought of Mickey Mouse and Goofy as a detective duo because that's the only version of them he knew when he was growing up.
From what I remember, that reality might overlap with the one where Donald Duck is a Batman-type superhero.

Paperinik/Duck Avenger/Superduck/Stål-kalle is apparently mainly an Italian thing, so I guess the rest of Europe is not immune.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

From what I remember, that reality might overlap with the one where Donald Duck is a Batman-type superhero.

Paperinik/Duck Avenger/Superduck/Stål-kalle is apparently mainly an Italian thing, so I guess the rest of Europe is not immune.

Isn't Donald Duck is a Batman-type superhero pretty much Darkwing Duck?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Darkwing Duck is the Shadow.

Drake Mallard = Kent Allard.

His costume is basically the Shadow's costume too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean there's definitely a lot of Batman in the mix.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Madkal posted:

Isn't Donald Duck is a Batman-type superhero pretty much Darkwing Duck?
Paperinik first showed up in 1969 while Darkwing Duck was created in 1991, originally intended as an off-shoot of DuckTales. I'm not sure anybody, anywhere actually cares about Disney Duck continuity (other than maybe Rosa building off of Barks).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Darkwing Duck literally had a Dark Knight Returns parody episode

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

purple death ray posted:

Darkwing Duck literally had a Dark Knight Returns parody episode

Called the Duck Knight Returns.

Also there are darkwing duck comics.

Also those comics are really really good.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Laser Time podcast just had an episode where they interviewed the creator of Darkwing Duck and Rescue Rangers - it's worth a listen, he goes into detail about the creation of both: http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2017/05/01/laser-time-the-history-of-disney-afternoon-featuring-tad-stones/

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The Laser Time podcast just had an episode where they interviewed the creator of Darkwing Duck and Rescue Rangers - it's worth a listen, he goes into detail about the creation of both: http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2017/05/01/laser-time-the-history-of-disney-afternoon-featuring-tad-stones/

This guy sounds so close to Griffin McElroy that its distracting. Its like Griffin with a stuffy nose.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

The cover of one of the Darkwing trades is literally a parody of the Miller DKR cover.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

david_a posted:

Fantomiald in France.

I know that because I picked up a TPB of some of his adventures on my recent Paris vacation.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gaz-L posted:

The cover of one of the Darkwing trades is literally a parody of the Miller DKR cover.

Darkwing Duck is too good for this world.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

haitfais posted:

Darkwing Duck is too good for this world.
maybe all we really need in life is duck comics

makes you think

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Darkwing duck will cameo in the New duck tales show. (from that podcast linked) says the creator of darkwing duck. Multiple episodes about him it sounds like.

Gaz-L posted:

I mean the title is Duck knight returns. Its not being subtle.

Again those comics are really good. Like really good. The creator also loves them and says they amazed him by capturing the show.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 18, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wouldn't be shocked if the Darkwing eps of the new DuckTales features Donald in that superhero persona, seeing as the show seems to be hewing closer to the comics than the original.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if the Darkwing eps of the new DuckTales features Donald in that superhero persona, seeing as the show seems to be hewing closer to the comics than the original.

It sounded like they are doing a whole meta universe though. "Doubt be surprised if the Boys find a vine covered castle and an ancient vial of gummiebear juice" So I have no idea at this point. The writers were given free reign to use all content with the weird exception of Chip and Dale.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Bombadilillo posted:

Wasn't there a fake Darkwing Duck or Ducktales MMO that goons "invented" and people believed it was real for a while?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

You could do a great deal worse than "the comics but with Webby".

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just wanna jump in real quick and mention that Laser Time is the best.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

It sounded like they are doing a whole meta universe though. "Doubt be surprised if the Boys find a vine covered castle and an ancient vial of gummiebear juice" So I have no idea at this point. The writers were given free reign to use all content with the weird exception of Chip and Dale.

Disney have this odd aversion to updating Chip and Dale since Rescue Rangers. Every other thing they've been in, they've been basically identical to their early shorts. Maybe they're afraid Tom Selleck will sue because of the Magnum PI homage? (Cuz Chip's Indiana Jones outfit isn't an issue anymore, obviously)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Disney have this odd aversion to updating Chip and Dale since Rescue Rangers. Every other thing they've been in, they've been basically identical to their early shorts. Maybe they're afraid Tom Selleck will sue because of the Magnum PI homage? (Cuz Chip's Indiana Jones outfit isn't an issue anymore, obviously)

The podcast interview implied that there was some dead movie with them that was still technically 'in development' so those characters were hands off.

He did confirm that rescue rangers started as literally Magnum PI with cartoons, when they sat down to write they said, "well we cant have them doing drugs" so the added other things to make it what it became. Its just interesting to me that the base wasn't The Rescuers, or Indian Jones, loving Magnum PI was the foundation!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If you guys all haven't, you should listen to that. Maybe just skip to the interview bit because the first half is the hosts speculating about things, then asking the same things in the interview and getting the real answer. kind of odd, but a good listen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I was little, Talespin was the weirdest one to me. I "got" all the other ones but "Balloo the Bear as a bush pilot" confused me. Probably just too far away from the movie: I was a kid who loved old Disney movies and Jungle Book was one of my favourites; you can put the classic characters into different settings but Balloo et al. are Jungle Book characters and it was weird for them to be wearing clothes and being anthropomorphic all of a sudden.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was little, Talespin was the weirdest one to me. I "got" all the other ones but "Balloo the Bear as a bush pilot" confused me. Probably just too far away from the movie: I was a kid who loved old Disney movies and Jungle Book was one of my favourites; you can put the classic characters into different settings but Balloo et al. are Jungle Book characters and it was weird for them to be wearing clothes and being anthropomorphic all of a sudden.

Talespin ruled dude. Your childhood sucked.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Shere Khan as an evil cooperate villain was really good though.

But even my 6 year old brain called bullshit on Kit Cloudkicker skysurfing physics of not strapping onto that board.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mostly saw the Disney Afternoon stuff as reruns on the Disney Channel UK a few years after they'd originally been on. I liked Darkwing Duck a lot but my favourite Disney cartoon when I was a kid was Recess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mostly saw the Disney Afternoon stuff as reruns on the Disney Channel UK a few years after they'd originally been on. I liked Darkwing Duck a lot but my favourite Disney cartoon when I was a kid was Recess.

gently caress yeah, that show ruled. I like when the swing kid made it over the bar and ascended and the kids made a cult religion around it, but the kid really just went home.