Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It struggles for not having a recurring supporting cast other than his editor and Ryland, neither of whom are in it very much;
I'm still unreasonably amused that the actor who played Ryland (and a very camp minor villain in Department S) was also the melting Nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

I'm still unreasonably amused that the actor who played Ryland (and a very camp minor villain in Department S) was also the melting Nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Ronald Lacey?

You may already know that he also played the Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells in Blackadder II.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ronald Lacey?

You may already know that he also played the Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells in Blackadder II.

HOLY poo poo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I know, right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm 5 episodes into Westworld and struggling to get through it. Does it ever get more interesting or is this all it is? Besides Ed Harris there isn't any interestingly acted characters and I just don't seem to be giving a poo poo about the actual plot beats. Is it safe to give up on it or does it get incredibly good in the last half?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm 5 episodes into Westworld and struggling to get through it. Does it ever get more interesting or is this all it is? Besides Ed Harris there isn't any interestingly acted characters and I just don't seem to be giving a poo poo about the actual plot beats. Is it safe to give up on it or does it get incredibly good in the last half?

Personally I like it a lot, but if you didnt enjoyed so far, you can safely put it away. The second half wont change your opinion

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Solice Kirsk posted:

Basically the season 1 finale should have been the very first episode. Partly joking but also partly serious about that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solice Kirsk posted:

haha wow

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I think it was oversold to me. People kept telling me it was a super original mix of Memento and Blade Runner presented in a very amazing way and it's most assuredly not really any of those things....maybe a little of Blade Runner. It's why I asked if it's just a super slow burn to get to anything more interesting or original. I think if I had watched it in a vacuum I wouldn't have this lingering feeling of disappointment anytime Ed Harris or Anthony Hopkins wasn't on screen.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, I think it was oversold to me. People kept telling me it was a super original mix of Memento and Blade Runner presented in a very amazing way and it's most assuredly not really any of those things....maybe a little of Blade Runner. It's why I asked if it's just a super slow burn to get to anything more interesting or original. I think if I had watched it in a vacuum I wouldn't have this lingering feeling of disappointment anytime Ed Harris or Anthony Hopkins wasn't on screen.
ah, it may not be for you then, it was pretty much laser focused at my interests minus the wild west stuff. I love scientists working on things, pretty far along in their development, they don't understand at all. As far as """original"" the WW thread pretty much guessed every major plot point by episode 3 and it was all pretty accurate, or close to what went down. If you're not interested in the hosts, or curious to see how they work, or what goes on inside the Mesa facility, you could probably make it through the entire season like: "oh...that was it?"

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
sense8 season 2 is up on netflix now. Someone make a thread!

E: there is a thread now

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 5, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I got about 2 thirds of the way through the first episode before I switched it off out of annoyance. The dead girl comes off as a narcissistic bitch and the rest is boo-hoo sad teenagers stuff. I have personal history with depression and suicide and the idea that someone would have enough wherewithal and emotional intelligence needed to pull off the central plot premise while suffering a suicidal episode is absurd. So instead the dead girl just seems like a manipulative rear end in a top hat who forgot that you don't get to see your plans come to fruition if you're dead.

Give the show points for accuracy at least; who knew high school kids were selfish, petty drama queens?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Personally I like it a lot, but if you didnt enjoyed so far, you can safely put it away. The second half wont change your opinion

If you're on the fence though, a lot of poo poo goes down in the second half, and Anthony Hopkins' character gets WAY more interesting.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
New MST3k is great, though we're only binging at a rate of 3 or 4 a week. Strongest episodes so far have been Cry Wilderness, Avalanche & The Beast of Hollow Mountain. I do wish that new Tom's voice was a tad more similar to Kevin Murphy's, but the show is pretty much unchanged otherwise imo. It does take some time to acclimate. The frequency of jokes I get or find funny is roughly similar to the old season, maybe a tiny bit higher.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

If you're on the fence though, a lot of poo poo goes down in the second half, and Anthony Hopkins' character gets WAY more interesting.

Yeah, I finished it out and the last half was a lot better, but still dragged on for me in parts. The last episode was really good though. I hope they drop the multiple timeline storytelling for season two. I don't think it was handled as well as it could have been.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Decided to start watching Elementary. It's not bad at all so far (I'm about half a dozen episodes into season one) but I'd hesitate to call it a great Sherlock Holmes adaptation yet. Maybe it'll find its groove as it goes along but at the moment it feels like a Lie To Me or The Mentalist type detective procedural show (not a mark against it in and of itself because I usually like detective shows regardless - I enjoyed The Mentalist a lot early on before it became a bit entangled in its own mythology with Red John) where the characters all just happen to have Sherlock Holmes names.

Sherlock has a lot of flaws but it feels a lot more like a 21st century update of Sherlock Holmes to me. :shrug:

I think the Guy Ritchie movies remain the best adaptations of the past decade or so.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Elementary is superior because it's creators know that Sherlock Holmes is a series about a detective solving strange crimes in an episodic manner, while Sherlock's showrunners deludely turned Sherlock Holmes into being about slick high-stakes story movie-length events where Holmes need to act Unexpectedly and Outrageously but without anything of substance or real interesting happening.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's really obvious on rewatch that Sherlock only starts to be about Sherlock Holmes as a public figure in season 2, as a response to the reception season 1 got.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Elementary is superior because it's creators know that Sherlock Holmes is a series about a detective solving strange crimes in an episodic manner, while Sherlock's showrunners deludely turned Sherlock Holmes into being about slick high-stakes story movie-length events where Holmes need to act Unexpectedly and Outrageously but without anything of substance or real interesting happening.

Sure, that's a fair point. I'm not sure what it is about Elementary that hasn't quite managed to click yet. I imagine I just need to watch more so all the characters are settled in.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, that's a fair point. I'm not sure what it is about Elementary that hasn't quite managed to click yet. I imagine I just need to watch more so all the characters are settled in.

Well, I didn't say it was particularly good.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I'm starting on the Americans, am I wasting my time?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a great show. Combined a modern day arranged marriage with gritty spy stuff. Also really funny wigs and disguises. The ratings for the show are terrible but the FX president loves it so much he keeps renewing it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Sitcoms are great for half-paying-attention-to-while-shitposting

I've gone through Friends, HIMYM, and am now on Frasier.

Also Forensic Files is good for this too.

What do ya'll like to queue up when you're hanging around the house?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished binging through Season 1 of The Magicians on Netflix. It really had my interest all the way up until episode 12 of the 13. At 12, I was intrigued by how the season was shaping up and thinking it's corny but the characters are likable for the most part and watchable and entertaining. Then, loving hit me with a bus, episode 13 was the most screwed up, unwatchable, disappointing, and just god awful sack of poo poo, 50 minutes of television I'm ever seen.

So do I stop here, or does Season 2 salvage this worthless plot line they've stumbled into? Do I cut my losses or should I keep going?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno how to answer that. Like without knowing exactly what you categorize as "interesting" that they "stumbled into" and exactly what you considered "disappointing" and "unwatchable" its hard to say how it goes. Because I feel like anything on Magicians could go either way.

Magicians isn't a good show. Its plot and writing and characters are loving stupid and unlikable and that never changes and probably never will. They actually embrace it way more in Season 2, if anything. If I were to recommend Season 2 I'd say they kind of just go all in and do a whacked out season about hosed up Narnia and all kinds of other weird, nonsense, often uncomfortable poo poo. But I could just as easily tell you that it stays the same poo poo show it was in S1 and you're never going to get a satisfying ending.

I watch it purely as a "turn my brain off" guilty pleasure. Week to week it manages to hold my interest, but I think both season finales have been massively underwhelming wet farts because that's where the nonsense story and characters really (try to) come together and stop being distracted by stupid poo poo. And that's not something this show does well at all.

At its best Magicians is basically True Blood's "glory days." But without the celebrity nudity and overly graphic sex scenes.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That tells me what I was looking for. The show is poo poo and I should only expect more poo poo in the future.

I enjoyed the shows attempts to push the boundaries on some of the sexual themes. At this point though, I don't even think overtly gratuitous sex would keep me interested. Penny is truly the only character with a compelling plot line; even though I like Alice as well. I was truly distraught by the idea of allowing and even precipitating the murder of three people and the mutulation of two others in order to advance your desire for revenge to murder someone that raped you was very hosed up.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 7, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just finished season 4 of the sopranos.

holy poo poo what a horrible episode was the one about Columbus Day and the Italians heritage versus native Americans. My fiancé and I tried extremely hard to stay awake for that one. The one prior to the finale was pretty slow as well. Here's hoping Carmen is shown a little less or she just moves to Italy with the kids and starts loving Furio. Very glad to see Ralph die, though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

EvilElmo posted:

I'm starting on the Americans, am I wasting my time?

Only if you don't enjoy suspense, intricate storytelling, and absolutely fantastic acting.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

maskenfreiheit posted:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and That 70s show are both shows I do that with.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Cheers is my current one, and God drat is it fun. It makes me wish Netflix had night court as well.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Not necessarily on streaming, but How It's Made is my favorite background noise show except that I always stop what I was supposed to be doing and instead will watch how they make Pop-Tarts toaster pastries and hot air balloons and steam engines and rope for like 8+ hours.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Despite the long list of shows I keep meaning to watch, I think I'm just gonna watch Legion again because drat that show was awesome.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just finished Iron Fist. It was okay. A bit lackluster. I've started Luke Cage again. Hopefully I get time to get past the 4th episode. After that it'll be Legion and then Agents of SHIELD.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

Despite the long list of shows I keep meaning to watch, I think I'm just gonna watch Legion again because drat that show was awesome.

Never heard of Legion until your post but I'm a couple episodes in and yah this show is awesome.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

johnsonrod posted:

Never heard of Legion until your post but I'm a couple episodes in and yah this show is awesome.

Its good, but I wonder if Im alone in disliking the main character acting? He just not good at playing a deranged person, he looks kinda like a teenager pretending to be retarded for laughs

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its good, but I wonder if Im alone in disliking the main character acting? He just not good at playing a deranged person, he looks kinda like a teenager pretending to be retarded for laughs

turn ur tv on

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Welp because of MBMBAM I am blasting through Terrace House and loving it. Basically Real World in Japan.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Decided to start watching Elementary. It's not bad at all so far (I'm about half a dozen episodes into season one) but I'd hesitate to call it a great Sherlock Holmes adaptation yet. Maybe it'll find its groove as it goes along but at the moment it feels like a Lie To Me or The Mentalist type detective procedural show (not a mark against it in and of itself because I usually like detective shows regardless - I enjoyed The Mentalist a lot early on before it became a bit entangled in its own mythology with Red John) where the characters all just happen to have Sherlock Holmes names.

Sherlock has a lot of flaws but it feels a lot more like a 21st century update of Sherlock Holmes to me. :shrug:

I think the Guy Ritchie movies remain the best adaptations of the past decade or so.

Elementary has the best Irene Adler of the three imo.

(Also the best Moriarty)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Senerio posted:

(Also the best Moriarty)

I liked Elementary's Moriarty a lot at the end of season one, but I still like Jared Harris best for recent versions of the character.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Elementary's Moriarty a lot at the end of season one, but I still like Jared Harris best for recent versions of the character.

That's fair. Elementary still had the best Irene tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Clyde