Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Allegedly the producers didn't want Danny to be at "full power" until 3rd season. Seems presumptuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Why is Molly not wearing a hat? :argh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why is Molly not wearing a hat? :argh:

In the trailer Hulu showed at their upfronts, she was wearing a hat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

howe_sam posted:

In the trailer Hulu showed at their upfronts, she was wearing a hat.

Crisis averted.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, and he did the prison fights. So he knows how to fight to some extent of another That's just different from like the dozen characters with concentrated martial arts training with the explicit purpose of becoming soldiers in some ninja war.

That's actually something I kind of overlooked. Danny and Matt basically were both trained since childhood to fight the Hand. Stick might not have anything to do with Kun Lun but their purpose seems to be the same. And of course Collen was trained to be on the other side of that war. I don't imagine she'll factor big into Defenders but I'd me mildly curious to see what Stick and Matt think of her origin story.

Matt wouldn't give a poo poo I dont think. To start with he was trained by Stick for a few years maybe, but Stick left when Matt started making him friendship bracelets and looking at him like a father-figure, so after that he pretty much trained on his own so far as we know so he didn't really get brainwashed into the war like Electra. Matt also never put much stock in Stick's 'war is coming' stuff either and even after the Hand and Nobu and all that crap happened he remained skeptical of Stick's bigger picture.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Isn't there a dinosaur?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well that's what I think would be interesting. Just seeing them all come together and say "Wait, you were trained from childhood for the same war I was trained since childhood for? That's weird. Lets talk." And Colleen coming from the other side of it. See if Stick has a connection to Kun Lun. What his opinion of Hand sects is.

I don't think Matt would turn on Colleen like Davos did but I imagine he'd be intrigued by the connection they all have and all this Hand stuff they're mixed up in. With Matt largely thinking its nonsense, Danny being a true believer until recently, and Colleen being a true believer who has realized she was on the wrong side and lied to, its three unique takes from roughly the same beginning.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't there a dinosaur?

When Marvel posted the photo the text was "Where’s a velociraptor emoji when you need it?”. So maybe Old Lace is in it but hasn't been rendered yet? I can't imagine she'll be in the series as much as she was in he comics.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Well that's what I think would be interesting. Just seeing them all come together and say "Wait, you were trained from childhood for the same war I was trained since childhood for? That's weird. Lets talk." And Colleen coming from the other side of it. See if Stick has a connection to Kun Lun. What his opinion of Hand sects is.

I don't think Matt would turn on Colleen like Davos did but I imagine he'd be intrigued by the connection they all have and all this Hand stuff they're mixed up in. With Matt largely thinking its nonsense, Danny being a true believer until recently, and Colleen being a true believer who has realized she was on the wrong side and lied to, its three unique takes from roughly the same beginning.

Again, Matt wasn't trained from childhood for the war. He started training and then Stick left when he was still a child. So its not a perspective he can speak from/about. EDIT: and the reason he has a hard time buying into the war and everything else I mentioned before.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I should have worded it better, but yeah, I know. I meant that all three were taken in as children and trained for the war. Obviously Matt didn't stay in it the way Danny and Colleen did and didn't even really know what Stick was doing. But they all basically started at the same place from 3 very different directions which would be an interesting thing to explore.

Granted, you're right. Matt didn't get indoctrinated into it and didn't spend his whole life thinking about it. But he knows Stick's intent now and the fact that Danny and Colleen are sort of a "What If?" for him could be interesting if done.

My guess is they will address it with Matt and Danny if even just with a mention and asking Stick what he knows about Kun Lun and the Iron Fist. Because its too much of a "coincidence" not to bring up. But Colleen would be an interesting extra aspect if she were part of it (which I doubt she will be because she's obviously a secondary character).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edmund Lava posted:

When Marvel posted the photo the text was "Where’s a velociraptor emoji when you need it?”. So maybe Old Lace is in it but hasn't been rendered yet? I can't imagine she'll be in the series as much as she was in he comics.

They pretty much have to include Old Lace if they're including Gert because her only superpower is "Can telepathically control a velociraptor".

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm finally catching up on the Marvel Netflix stuff. I've seen both Daredevil seasons & Jessica Jones (when they first aired) but just got around to watching Luke Cage and just started on Iron Fist.

What's the timeline for Luke's relationship w/ Reva? He met her in prison, busted out, she erased their identities, then...they got married, Jessica Jones killed her under Killgrave's spell I think? Was he bartending while they were married or did that come after her death? It's been a long time since Jessica Jones so I'm a bit foggy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In JJ he says he had the bar with her and its his last memories of her. And I believe Pop says that Reva introduced them and he knew her from when she was a kid. So presumably after she broke him out of jail they went to NY to her home neighborhood, got married, bought the bar, and then Kilgrave finds her looking for the tape of him. They never really give any details about what happens between the jail break and Kilgrave and I'm not sure if they give years to say how long it was.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ok cool, so pretty much what I thought happened then. Thanks!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

White Tiger occasionally.

I'm counting Claire as being White Tiger in this scenario.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Something that occurred to me re:Runways, Fox owns part of Hulu right? There's no rights conflict if they wanted to make Molly a mutant if I'm understanding he situation correctly. Have they actually said that this new series is part of the MCU? I can't imagine it'll tie into anything given hat the Netflix series haven't to any large degree.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zythrst posted:

But which version of the comicbook character will she be based one? The Hispanic woman with magical bracelets which give her super powers and who is trained by Daredevil and later dies and is resurrected by The Hand, or the white bengal tiger which is evolved into human shape and who fights Misty Knight over Iron Fist's affections?

I'm hoping for the reverse weretiger scenario.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zythrst posted:

But they've already called her Night Nurse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

They've actually said she's specifically not Night Nurse. (Because the love interest in Dr. Strange is Night Nurse since they based it partially off The Oath.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Goodbody posted:

They partially based her character on Night Nurse and even mentioned that name in an episode but they were told by the movie division that Night Nurse was reserved for use in an upcoming film and Claire couldn't be the official MCU Night Nurse.

The original Claire Temple was a doctor in the old Power Man comics in the early 70s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Temple

Night Nurse was a 1970s comics with three nurse characters. Linda Carter was the 'official' Night Nurse and later went on to appear in a whole bunch of superhero comics and the character actually got her start in the 1961 Atlas Comics series 'Linda Carter, Student Nurse' before Marvel Comics even existed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Nurse_(comics)

One of the other main characters in the Night Nurse comics was nurse Christine Palmer who was the basis for the nurse character in the Dr Strange movie.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

They've actually said she's specifically not Night Nurse. (Because the love interest in Dr. Strange is Night Nurse since they based it partially off The Oath.)

I don't care about that, in the TV show Claire is a nurse, at night, and she does superheroic stuff, and they called her the Night Nurse

In the Dr. Strange movie, that lady was a nurse during the day, didn't do any superheroics, and was never called the Night Nurse

:colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Patsy Walker/Hellcat also has a really long comics history. Her comic strips were first published in 1944 and were originally a teen humour series similar to the Archie comics which then turned into a teen career/romance series after she graduated high school in 1964. Patsy Walker #95 and Journey into Mystery #69 were actually the first two comics ever published under the Marvel Comics imprint.

The Patsy Walker romance comics ended in 1967 but in 1972 she became the superhero Hellcat and start appearing regularly in superhero comics such as The Avengers and The Defenders. The older romance comics were retconned to be semi-autobiographical comics written by her mother, just like in the Netflix series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patsy_Walker

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

bloodychill posted:

Allegedly the producers didn't want Danny to be at "full power" until 3rd season. Seems presumptuous.

This is actually not the worst idea, at first thought. One of my problems with Luke Cage was that he was already at his peak and nearly unstoppable when his season began. It made it feel a bit anticlimactic watching people shoot at Luke because we already knew it wasn't going to do anything till Diamondback showed up with a magic bullet.

Daredevil in season 1 was barely a step above his adversaries (even a step below Nobu in their fight) and had to improve as he went, so having Danny have to work his way updoesn't sound that bad. The only problem is Danny is supposed to be training for 14 years and just doesn't show it in any way, on top of having a glowy fist for punching doors- he never used it on a person.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Edmund Lava posted:

Something that occurred to me re:Runways, Fox owns part of Hulu right? There's no rights conflict if they wanted to make Molly a mutant if I'm understanding he situation correctly. Have they actually said that this new series is part of the MCU? I can't imagine it'll tie into anything given hat the Netflix series haven't to any large degree.

i mean, one of the points of the early runaways stuff is that they were on the west coast far far away from where most of the big name supers are around which is partly why their parents get to be these big crime bosses that no one knows about or looks into and why they can't just flag down the avengers and have them deal with their parents

so really it shouldn't really matter either way if it's a part of the mcu

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Slashrat posted:

I could buy that the life-long martial arts training in the mystical, insular mountain monastery just isn't as good as you'd think. When all you have to train against is other people who've had the exact same training, then maybe the quality of the training might have slipped without anyone noticing.

You'll notice that Danny performs best against opponents with similar training, and in more "formal" fights. That's what he;s trained for. 15 years of sparring in the dojo can make you, in many ways, a badass, but it isn't the best preparation for dealing with some Slavic rear end in a top hat in the back of a moving 18-wheeler who's trying to kill you with a meat cleaver.

Streetfighting is very, very different to a sparring situation. It's taking him a while to get comfortable with opponents who aren't using the formal styles he trained on.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

mllaneza posted:

You'll notice that Danny performs best against opponents with similar training, and in more "formal" fights. That's what he;s trained for. 15 years of sparring in the dojo can make you, in many ways, a badass, but it isn't the best preparation for dealing with some Slavic rear end in a top hat in the back of a moving 18-wheeler who's trying to kill you with a meat cleaver.

Streetfighting is very, very different to a sparring situation. It's taking him a while to get comfortable with opponents who aren't using the formal styles he trained on.

Actually, the reason the Danny's power (and overall character) is completely inconsistent is that the fights were really badly conceived, prepared, shot and executed under the supervision of a guy that thought the best way to end Dexter would be to have him throw his sister (who briefly became a drug addict then wanted to have sex with him but then didn't) off a boat, leave his beloved son with a serial poisoner and run away to become a lumberjack).

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 7, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Which is so weird. They got a decent actress who's been all over TV, movies, and stage to play Night Nurse and wrote the character well. Then the movie peeps just straight up veto'd it for a character who ended up being a considerably less interesting Pepper Potts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bloodychill posted:

Which is so weird. They got a decent actress who's been all over TV, movies, and stage to play Night Nurse and wrote the character well. Then the movie peeps just straight up veto'd it for a character who ended up being a considerably less interesting Pepper Potts.

The MCU films have made over $11 billion worldwide and that trumps absolutely every other consideration.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The MCU films have made over $11 billion worldwide and that trumps absolutely every other consideration.

The MCU Movies and the other portions of Marvel which are still under Ike's tight fisted control also aren't on the best of terms, so casual dickery just because they can is going to happen.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Spermanent Record posted:

Actually, the reason the Danny's power (and overall character) is completely inconsistent is that the fights were really badly conceived, prepared, shot and executed under the supervision of a guy that thought the best way to end Dexter would be to have him throw his sister (who briefly became a drug addict then wanted to have sex with him but then didn't) off a boat, leave his beloved son with a serial poisoner and run away to become a lumberjack).

Yeah I'm not going to accept an in-world explanation either. They screwed up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite piece of action storytelling is how Matt changes his fighting style as he fatigues. He always starts with fancy flips and poo poo, before eventually curling his body into a boxing pose.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Matt will still do flips near the end of a fight. Check out the hallway fight.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

I assume by the time a second season of Iron Fist rolls by Finn will have had enough time to train and poo poo so he's not worthless.

I assume by the time a second season of Iron Fist rolls by people will still be clinging to their initial opinions of the show like a feral dog with a meaty bone full of marrow.

Zythrst posted:

That wouldn't be terrible.

As Nero Danced posted:

The only problem is Danny is supposed to be training for 14 years and just doesn't show it in any way, on top of having a glowy fist for punching doors- he never used it on a person.

It will straight up murder a person if Danny Iron Fists them. Look what it did to the things he did use it on.

mllaneza posted:

No, it sucks because

Spermanent Record posted:

Yeaaaaaaah, there we go. That's the stuff. That's the delicious vitriol plants crave.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Nah, even the "formal" fights weren't done that well. Not one fight scene in iron fist had an "oh poo poo!" moment for me, where daredevil and luke cage had several. Hell even Jessica Jones had a few.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really happy for you that you managed to come up with a head canon that explains why the Immortal Iron Fist who fought a dragon to get magical punching power is actually really terrible at fights and can get beaten by just random dudes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I assume by the time a second season of Iron Fist rolls by people will still be clinging to their initial opinions of the show like a feral dog with a meaty bone full of marrow.

Yes, those fleeting and unfounded initial opinions formed after watching the entire first season. Oh why won't anyone realize that Finn Jones is actually the second coming of Bruce Lee and that the fight choreography of Iron Fist is actually spectacular. If only they didn't let their biases get in the way.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't get why people poo poo on Jessica Jones' fights.

Her fight against Luke Cage was great, as was the Patty vs Captain Roided apartment scene.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

I don't get why people poo poo on Jessica Jones' fights.

Her fight against Luke Cage was great, as was the Patty vs Captain Roided apartment scene.

They came after Daredevil season 1's fight choreography is my bet. The fight scenes suffer in comparison, but then again Jessica isn't supposed to be a Kung Fu master.

Danny, on the other hand...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She doesn't even get in any real fights besides Luke and Captain Roids. And Patsy does half that one while Jessica nurses broken ribs.

Its just not a "fight" show. That does seem like part of the fan reception issue that since the Defenders started with Daredevil everyone's expected similar fight shows. That's understandable with Iron Fist but not really with Cage or Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

STAC Goat posted:

She doesn't even get in any real fights besides Luke and Captain Roids. And Patsy does half that one while Jessica nurses broken ribs.

Its just not a "fight" show. That does seem like part of the fan reception issue that since the Defenders started with Daredevil everyone's expected similar fight shows. That's understandable with Iron Fist but not really with Cage or Jones.

Their stories inevitably devolve into 'fight' shows, though, so at least near the tail end of things that's all they've got going for them.