Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Carebearz posted:

I did the same thing with my Half Orc Paladin, but with a greatsword and sweet rear end Smite and great weapon master against someLich.

Got wrecked by 2 max damage crits in a row, used the half orc "gently caress you i'm not dead" ability, hit back with a max damage crit of my own with drat near max damage on the smite roll.

the best part of that was after the Lich ws in its BBEG "NO I CAN'T BELIEVE I LOST!" bullshit I lay on hands'd myself

5e Half Orcs are rad to the max

I had a half-orc vengance paladin in a 5e Curse of Strahd game that wrapped up a month or so ago. Not only was it pretty awesome to have one of two non-angsty people in the party, the whole setup made me feel like a badass. Hitting a big badass with a critical greatsword attack with attached smite for 6d6+12d8+15 damage always feels good, and blowing through all of Strahd's 100 temporary HP in one round was also super gratifying. It didn't stop him from dropping me to 3hp or less five times in three rounds, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm just really enjoying half-orcs in general in murderhobo games. Who cares about things like morals or the common good when you have people to fight? Evil tends to be stronger than good, so go kick evil in the shins until it either crushes you or you become stronger. Fighting is fun!

FunkMonkey posted:

My players advised me to have a prepared name back to draw on because they knew if I ever hesitated to give someone's name they clearly didn't matter and could be safely ignored.

This is naturally a tendency I've learned to exploit eventually. Never trust a man named Greg.

When I did Monsterhearts I ran a name generator and pulled 100 male and female names for exactly this reason. Everyone got names, generally shortly before dying.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Robindaybird posted:

Just an excerpt from a friend:

Friend
Ok so at this point I can't do a time travel tabletop

Because it would involve Wrestle Jesus

Headbutts with the crown of thorns

Takes out a fish, multiples them into a multitude, then does a moonsault off the fish pile

I dunno about you guys, but to me that seems like the perfect reason to do a Time Travel game (particularly in the vein of Time Squad)

A brutal headbutt from Christ and it looks like he's going for the pin but OH HERE COMES JUDAS WITH A MAJOR CROSS TO BEAR. You might want to look away for this folks.

Edit: "THIS ELBOW IS MY BODY, COME EAT OF ME. OOH YEAAAAAAAAAH."

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 5, 2017

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

bbcisdabomb posted:

I had a half-orc vengance paladin in a 5e Curse of Strahd game that wrapped up a month or so ago. Not only was it pretty awesome to have one of two non-angsty people in the party, the whole setup made me feel like a badass. Hitting a big badass with a critical greatsword attack with attached smite for 6d6+12d8+15 damage always feels good, and blowing through all of Strahd's 100 temporary HP in one round was also super gratifying. It didn't stop him from dropping me to 3hp or less five times in three rounds, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm just really enjoying half-orcs in general in murderhobo games. Who cares about things like morals or the common good when you have people to fight? Evil tends to be stronger than good, so go kick evil in the shins until it either crushes you or you become stronger. Fighting is fun!

When I did Monsterhearts I ran a name generator and pulled 100 male and female names for exactly this reason. Everyone got names, generally shortly before dying.

100% why Vengeance Paladins are the best Paladins

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

FunkMonkey posted:

A brutal headbutt from Christ and it looks like he's going for the pin but OH HERE COMES JUDAS WITH A MAJOR CROSS TO BEAR. You might want to look away for this folks.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

PMush Perfect posted:

If Star Wars has taught us anything, it's that there is no problem that can't be solved by liberal application of the Force and explosions.

Ran a star wars game a while back where the PCs ran afoul of a bunch of droid fencers, they'd capture service droids off the city streets, disable them and then memory wipe them to re-sell. The PCs took the gang down and a big part of their "loot" was a small warehouse full of fresh-brained service droids (mostly pure household droids, with a couple of higher-functioning protocol or repair droids).

So the very first thing the party tech does is wire every empty cavity in the droids with explosives. In particular almost half-a-dozen mouse droids where outfitted with remote-rigged thermal detonators.

They were actually so thorough at this that at one point they realized the best approach for them to deal with a group of land-bound opponents was to fly their (barely armed) ship over them and just drop mouse-droids from the cargo bay on them, detonating them in midair.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

oriongates posted:

a bunch of droid fencers
Got me imagining a pack of robots with fencing foils attacking people on the street. Not gonna lie, was a little disappointed to find it was the other kind of droid fencing.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

FunkMonkey posted:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, watermark aside, that is absolutely the Axe Cop guy.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Tonight's game had the party attempting to find a way past the borg-like hordes of mecha-zombies guarding the overlord's fortress (built from the corpse of a titan.)

Most opted to create a distraction and then sneak past, but not Rancor the minotaur. He grabbed an assortment of knives from his backpack and tried to convince the mecha-zombies that he was a traveling knife salesman. And also that they shouldn't try to assimilate him because then they wouldn't be able to buy knives from him at his crazy, crazy prices.

It, uh. It didn't go so well for him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Falstaff posted:

Tonight's game had the party attempting to find a way past the borg-like hordes of mecha-zombies guarding the overlord's fortress (built from the corpse of a titan.)

Most opted to create a distraction and then sneak past, but not Rancor the minotaur. He grabbed an assortment of knives from his backpack and tried to convince the mecha-zombies that he was a traveling knife salesman. And also that they shouldn't try to assimilate him because then they wouldn't be able to buy knives from him at his crazy, crazy prices.

Points for trying, though, right?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Absolutely. I wish he'd rolled better, but alas...

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Falstaff posted:

I hope the player pretended his knives were Cutco knives. Everyone I know at least three people who have worked that pyramid scheme multi-level marketing career opportunity. It went about as well for them as it did for Rancor.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

If he had, I would have given him a penalty on his roll. These were near-mindless borg-like mecha-zombies, but they weren't stupid.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

oriongates posted:

Ran a star wars game a while back where the PCs ran afoul of a bunch of droid fencers, they'd capture service droids off the city streets, disable them and then memory wipe them to re-sell. The PCs took the gang down and a big part of their "loot" was a small warehouse full of fresh-brained service droids (mostly pure household droids, with a couple of higher-functioning protocol or repair droids).

So the very first thing the party tech does is wire every empty cavity in the droids with explosives. In particular almost half-a-dozen mouse droids where outfitted with remote-rigged thermal detonators.

They were actually so thorough at this that at one point they realized the best approach for them to deal with a group of land-bound opponents was to fly their (barely armed) ship over them and just drop mouse-droids from the cargo bay on them, detonating them in midair.

At that point, why didn't they just drop the explosives directly? Why waste the droids?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Volmarias posted:

At that point, why didn't they just drop the explosives directly? Why waste the droids?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Volmarias posted:

Basically, it was faster to just grab a droid and hurl it overboard than grab one, open it up, take out the explosives and then hurl it out.

And that's really the only reason they needed.

(they basically used up all their explosives pre-emptively wiring up the droids on the apparent assumption that they might need to have an exploding droid ready to go at any moment as opposed to an explosive anything-else).

oriongates fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 9, 2017

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It's so they could make that adorable mouse droid squeal as they plummeted to their explosive doom.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The level 1 cleric in the game I'm running, just decided the fastest way to get down from the top of a fort was face first. the player then proceeded to poorly explain why she decided to
jump 25 feet into a pit of jackals instead of taking the stairs. of course they took exactly there hp in damage so I decided to end things there. It was just too much.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Last night's game, the PCs embarked on a quest to discover what was behind the strange, magical summoning that was luring their townsfolk off into the badlands (and to their subsequent doom). They track down one boy's father, deep in the grip of the siren call, who was trying to escape a pack of predatory tigeroos (tiger-kangaroo hybrids).

These are epic-tier heroes, mind. They've previously achieved such feats as shattering mountains with their bare hands, sang doomsday monsters to sleep, and cured curses that were by definition incurable. They do as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Yet, in the course of the encounter:

-Several PCs end up badly injured.
-The father is mauled nearly to death.
-One of the tigeroos ends up eating an artifact that gives it sentience and great power...
-...which then escapes (to appear as a villain in a future adventure)
-A fortress is leveled in the ensuing battle
-In the end, they only barely manage to fight the tigeroos off.

This was all during the first encounter of the adventure.

It was a hilarious streak of probability-defying luck that almost stopped the adventure before it really began during what was meant to be an easy filler encounter to get things rolling. Though if nothing else, my players are looking forward to getting a rematch with the newly-awakened Neshu the Tigeroo Goddess.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Falstaff posted:

It was a hilarious streak of probability-defying luck that almost stopped the adventure before it really began during what was meant to be an easy filler encounter to get things rolling.

Yesterday during a fight with an adult red dragon, my Sorcerer literally spent the entire fight frightened by dragonfear and paralyzed by carrion crawlers because he could NOT make a save to, well, save his life. The rest of the party was getting their rear end kicked as one would when fighting an adult red dragon, and there I was getting auto-critted twice a round and worried that my level 12 Sorcerer was going to die at the hands of a CR 2 creature.

To quote Skeever, "The Senators goalie made more saves today than Varis did."

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Falstaff posted:

Last night's game, the PCs embarked on a quest to discover what was behind the strange, magical summoning that was luring their townsfolk off into the badlands (and to their subsequent doom). They track down one boy's father, deep in the grip of the siren call, who was trying to escape a pack of predatory tigeroos (tiger-kangaroo hybrids).

These are epic-tier heroes, mind. They've previously achieved such feats as shattering mountains with their bare hands, sang doomsday monsters to sleep, and cured curses that were by definition incurable. They do as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Yet, in the course of the encounter:

-Several PCs end up badly injured.
-The father is mauled nearly to death.
-One of the tigeroos ends up eating an artifact that gives it sentience and great power...
-...which then escapes (to appear as a villain in a future adventure)
-A fortress is leveled in the ensuing battle
-In the end, they only barely manage to fight the tigeroos off.

This was all during the first encounter of the adventure.

It was a hilarious streak of probability-defying luck that almost stopped the adventure before it really began during what was meant to be an easy filler encounter to get things rolling. Though if nothing else, my players are looking forward to getting a rematch with the newly-awakened Neshu the Tigeroo Goddess.

This reminds me of when a string of critical fumbles, critical hits, and just plain failures led a character in one of my old 3.0 D&D games to get treed by three wolves. Not dire wolves, not celestial wolves or whatever. Just vanilla wolves. The character was level five or six. And was a ranger. He never lived that down.

CobiWann posted:

Yesterday during a fight with an adult red dragon, my Sorcerer literally spent the entire fight frightened by dragonfear and paralyzed by carrion crawlers because he could NOT make a save to, well, save his life. The rest of the party was getting their rear end kicked as one would when fighting an adult red dragon, and there I was getting auto-critted twice a round and worried that my level 12 Sorcerer was going to die at the hands of a CR 2 creature.

As both a Pens fan and as a DM, I heartily approve of this post.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I appreciate that 'the Senators' still makes sense as a sports team name if that line is in-character.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Continuing the trend of mathematical improbability, I have never rolled so many 1s for damage in my life as I did last night. On one attack, I did 6 damage on 4d6. Which was really lucky for my players since they decided to attack a city of drow in the volcano lair of the dragon ruler, who recently ascended to godhood (aka 1 level in Dragon Ascendant). They decided to abandon the attack since they were still getting beaten down by the sheer number of drow defenders and the dragon basically only missing on a 1.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Continuing the trend of mathematical improbability, I have never rolled so many 1s for damage in my life as I did last night. On one attack, I did 6 damage on 4d6. Which was really lucky for my players since they decided to attack a city of drow in the volcano lair of the dragon ruler, who recently ascended to godhood (aka 1 level in Dragon Ascendant). They decided to abandon the attack since they were still getting beaten down by the sheer number of drow defenders and the dragon basically only missing on a 1.
Were you trying to spook them or kill them?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

We were absolutely going to get killed if we didn't pull out.

Yawg has a way with encounter design that lets the players realize they're in over their heads organically, without him having to explicitly tell us that it's too strong for us.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Railing Kill posted:

As both a Pens fan...

:hfive:

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I was playing in an Alternity Dark*Matter game (think X-Files) many years ago, where our combat character had a flaw where a critical failure on an attack roll would cause him to take a wound level, representing a never fully healed war wound that acted up occasionally. The party got ambushed on the road, he took cover behind the van, and critically failed three firearm attacks in a row, causing him to pass out without actually being attacked during the whole fight.

e: lol, just realized I posted this story in this very thread like 3 years ago

Lucky Guy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 22, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PMush Perfect posted:

First one, then the other.

I can't wait for next week, when they try to defend a incredibly desecrated and horror-riddled ziggurat from three drow tribes at once. I expect there will be some planning involved on the hike there.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So let me step back a little on my last post because i was mentally exhausted when i wrote it.

I'm running a campaign with 6 players and for the most part things are going good. the players are a team of assassins taking out criminals, bandits,and corrupt nobles and everyone has buy in. the thing isis that there's one player who... well...

okay so there character is a cleric of the trickery domain, a servant of tiamat, okay so far. but it was once the game started that things started to get... weird. the players first decided to split up to case a business there first target was hiding, maintain a low profile, etc.
what does her character consider maintaining a low profile? Ordering all of the raw meat in the establishment.

So that's character quirk number 1. eating raw meat.

now the players learned the building is owned by a tiefling mobster. things get weird when while everyone else is plotting on how to get the target out of the building, our special player decides to crush on the mob lady. but whatever it works. but then after killing her lieutenant. she goes back to the scene of the murder to ask mob lady out on a date to which she, the mobster, politely declined.

so next week. this is where things begin to escalate. we are doubling down on the raw meat thing. to the point that she refuses to purchase rations. but now that's old news because her character has taken to saying the word "pleasurable" as her catchphrase. now, none of this has me as concerned as her desire to actively be the least stealthy member of the party. while half the party is luring the target to an ambush she decides to instead, just stand in the open. I don't let it set back the rest of the groups plan. Then she decides to declare to all of the players at the table that she wants to have sex with the Dragonborn.

there's a pause of bewilderment, because seriously where the gently caress did that come from, and i make the mistake of leaving it to the dice. well the dice lead to the highest rolls of the night, i have the dragonborn ask for her hand in marriage because this is like a joke right? no. she says and i quote "No, sex first". mercifully another player offers just to shoot the drat dragonborn and end this awkward hell, but that leads to the two players turning against each other at which point I invoke the "This never happend" rule and jump back to the fight before.

Once the fight is over they discover the target was hauling child slaves. our special player asked to keep the cutiest one to which everyone answered "No."

Then there was the boobie-lady Incident, weird but unremarkable, but we I now know her characters cupsize though.

And finally there was the jumping off of a fort. just jumping down from 40 feet up. she spent half the next session unconscious because no other character had a healing potion. they could have left her dead but begrudgingly they all worked together to save the unconscious dragonborn cleric packed with rotting meat from a pack of wild jackals.

How did her character repay the others? By abandoning the team mid encounter to loot the fort then go to sleep.

I'm sure that at least 3 of the players are done with her poo poo and two are mildly concerned about her mental health. Personally i don't know what to do. I know at least a couple people i'd rather be playing with but i don't know.

Interesting side note. the only npc's she's wanted to bone where the ones I drew. I don't know what to do with that information either.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You already know what you need to do. Whatever issues she's having, keeping her in your D&D game is not the way to treat them.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

OmanyteJackson posted:

Bad gaming stuff

:sever:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo, that chick has issues, and probably thinks she's being HILARIOUS.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Also: :siren:WARNING! As tempting as it may be, do not stick your dick in the crazy.:siren:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Nurture your special snowflake and keep us informed. It's for :science:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

OmanyteJackson posted:

I'm sure that at least 3 of the players are done with her poo poo and two are mildly concerned about her mental health. Personally i don't know what to do.
:murder:

Seriously, you have 5 players without her? That's heavy by one when I run games. She's dead weight in character and a loving nightmare out of character. There is absolutely no reason for you to let this person stick around.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

With someone like that, you have two options: You ask her to not come back, or keep her and end up with 2-3 players quitting down the line because they can't stand it

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Robindaybird posted:

With someone like that, you have two options: You ask her to not come back, or keep her and end up with 2-3 players quitting down the line because they can't stand it

Seconding this. Sever.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If you want to be nice, you can pull herself aside and warn her to play nice and stop disrupting the game and tell her that's her one and final chance, otherwise she's gone. But I suspect if she's that disruptive and unconcern about being cooperative that such a warning won't make her shape up and may cause her to flounce.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

OmanyteJackson posted:

Then there was the boobie-lady Incident, weird but unremarkable, but we I now know her characters cupsize though.

Interesting side note. the only npc's she's wanted to bone where the ones I drew. I don't know what to do with that information either.

Pretty sure we all know what she's hinting at. And is that really JUST her characters cupsize?

Cartoon posted:

Nurture your special snowflake and keep us informed. It's for :science:

This because this thread needs more cringe stories and you're sitting across from a veritable goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nerds are really really bad at pruning awful/crazy people out of their social or gaming circles.