Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just hope they've fixed the "guns are deprecated late game because of attack speed math and reloading" issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just hope they've fixed the "guns are deprecated late game because of attack speed math and reloading" issue.

I'm just glad we have more bear based options.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

Powder Burns was critting my Pallegina/Eder for triple digit damage, so it definitely hit too hard for me to be willing to tag my own guys with it with any real frequency, and the positioning was too drat finicky to be worth the effort, especially when you consider that guns are generally worse than bows at the high end already AND that Powder Burns means you have to deal with the Ranger blinding themselves.

Powder Burns is an ability I REALLY wanted to like but which just had so many downsides that I could never find a situation where it was worth taking, especially since it competes against "oh your awesome bow now shoots two arrows".

There is a random stronghold quest that gives you an item which makes you immune to blind. If you can grab that, it makes Powder Burns much better. I thought the blind was too harsh a penalty though since you already have to contend with friendly fire with PB and have to wait until way late in the game to even get access to it. It should have been self blind or friendly fire but not both imo.

The other problem with it is you're going up against Bows which tend to have better on hit effects than Guns do. The best gun in the game is like Silver Flash but it's a Blunderbuss and therefore the cone effect with Powder Burns makes it even more unwieldy to target with than using a Pistol or Arquebus.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Buff party. Buff party. Buff party. Ok now unleash barbarian!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

rope kid posted:

Imagine a world where the base class is arguably as valid a choice as a subclass.

*Lord Richard Attenborough voice* Welcome... to Deadfire!

B-but my Paladin 1/Sorcerer 1/Fighter 3/Shopkeeper 5/Blackblade of the Dire Twinks 10!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Also if you played Rangers the capstone abilities for guns and bows was hilariously lopsided in favor of bows. 'Hmm, do I want to double my damage output or get very situational nuke that requires a ton of bullshit positioning. Also the nuke blinds you'

It didn't help there were no real interesting guns while there were a ton of really good bows as well.

I just wanna shoot a gun while my pet eats things faces and not have it be really ineffective;

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ginette Reno posted:

That sounds amusing but I don't see how it won't be horribly weak unless I'm misunderstanding how it works. The confuse debuff is one of the fastest ways to a wipe in Poe1 that I can think of (the other being charm/dominate). Worse still, if you can't choose what you're targeting you not only have to worry about friendly fire but about your Barb targeting enemy tanks rather than enemy casters/dps.

Dragon Leap to the backlines, turn Berserk on, pray it elapses before your Barbarian comes back in range of your party.

I can see how this could be fun.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zore posted:

I just wanna shoot a gun while my pet eats things faces and not have it be really ineffective;

My friend, have you heard of our lord and saviour, the Crossbow?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I could see it making Carnage turn into a friendly fire ability. That would still make it highly debatable as a kit worth taking because dps is not as great when it's killing your party too.
What I see is the potential for 6 of those guys multi-classed with Monk, all loving each other up for extra wounds.

e: Or 5, I guess.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 7, 2017

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Zore posted:

I disagree, they should keep the firearms just as they are right now, with an extremely low fire-rate accompanied by big damage and an extremely satisfying "BOOM!". That's how you make a slow but powerful weapon feel right.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

X_Toad posted:

I disagree, they should keep the firearms just as they are right now, with an extremely low fire-rate accompanied by big damage and an extremely satisfying "BOOM!". That's how you make a slow but powerful weapon feel right.

They may feel good, but mechanically they lag pretty far behind bows. There's no reason they can't keep their feel but be more effective.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mechanically, I think firearms are in a good position right now, having low DPS but high damage-per-shot. They're meant to take out priority targets immediately, and they excel at that. The obvious downside is that they don't offer much in the way of sustained damage, but that's what bows/crossbows are for.

Powder Burns could probably stand a small buff, though. It's a powerful ability, but having two strong limitations (friendly fire and the blind effect) is a bit too much.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 7, 2017

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Just got caught up on the thread, after backing this on the strength of enjoying the IE games and POE1, plus wanting to support Rope Kid so that he can go on to be wildly successful and make Wallenstein Simulator 2018. The new direction looks rad as hell and I'm really excited for this after going on an IE binge with the enhanced editions.

About to do a run through as a cruel Bleak Walker with 2H weapons. Anyone got tips on statting a character like that - I'm thinking lowish dex and high might and resolve?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I had a firearm on every party member all game because the ability to delete 1-6 enemies before combat even got going was pretty great.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Samuel Clemens posted:

Mechanically, I think firearms are in a good position right now, having low DPS but high damage-per-shot. They're meant to take out priority targets immediately, and they excel at that. The obvious downside is that they don't offer much in the way of sustained damage, but that's what bows/crossbows are for.

Powder Burns could probably stand a small buff, though. It's a powerful ability, but having two strong limitations (friendly fire and the blind effect) is a bit too much.

Yeah, I remember giving all casters arquebuses and blasting away any healers at the beginning of combat being a pretty effective strategy. gently caress your priest, bandit gang #156!

[edit] gently caress it, I'm gonna start a new game where I only focus on guns. Edér, Pallegina, Zahua, etc. All guns, all day.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 7, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Arquebusses are great for Paladin alpha strike builds. Giving one to Pallegina and having her FOD a caster is a massive chunk of damage right there and then you can follow it up with a sworn enemy/wrath of five suns. Nothing is gonna live through that.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Just got caught up on the thread, after backing this on the strength of enjoying the IE games and POE1, plus wanting to support Rope Kid so that he can go on to be wildly successful and make Wallenstein Simulator 2018. The new direction looks rad as hell and I'm really excited for this after going on an IE binge with the enhanced editions.

About to do a run through as a cruel Bleak Walker with 2H weapons. Anyone got tips on statting a character like that - I'm thinking lowish dex and high might and resolve?

You'll want high Might (for damage/healing) and high Int (for longer duration on buffs + bigger aura radius). Then you can put your remaining stats wherever. Resolve is fine if you want. I wouldn't dump any stats on a character like this as all of them are useful for a Paladin. If you're set on 2handers then Great Swords are a nice choice. Hours of St Rumbalt can be a nice weapon if you focus on crits. Tidefall is solid too. You can get both of them early.

Another option is to dual wield. Bittercut is a terrific weapon for a Bleakwalker because Bleakwalkers can do bonus corrode damage with their Flames of Devotion with their special talent you can take. Bittercut does Corrode damage so it's a natural fit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

X_Toad posted:

That's not the issue. The problem with guns in PoE 1 is that items that increase attack speed don't increase "reload" speed, so ranged weapons without reload speed (bows) dramatically outperform xbows and guns in the late game. The slowness and "feel" isn't the problem, the problem is purely game mechanics.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
After ~100 hours over 2.5 weeks, I finally beat PoE and also WMI/II.

(no ragrets)

And yes, I took a son who was not mine into Sun in Shadow. I'd like PoE2's intro to make acknowledgement of this.

Edit:

Question: I haven't dug around in PoEII material yet. Will there be an ideal 'conversationalist' class? And what are you all's thoughts on the subject?

I built my PC around a roughly even distribution of skill points and geared him around maximizing all of his stats. Passing skill/stat checks is the best!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 7, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

That's not the issue. The problem with guns in PoE 1 is that items that increase attack speed don't increase "reload" speed, so ranged weapons without reload speed (bows) dramatically outperform xbows and guns in the late game. The slowness and "feel" isn't the problem, the problem is purely game mechanics.

I suppose if the intention of the developers is that guns are only alpha strike weapons then they're in a decent place at the moment.

I worked out the actual dps of gun builds vs bow builds in the late game once and guns are pure unadulterated poo poo for anything except alpha strikes.

A ranger with a low recovery set up and the wounding hunting bow/stormcaller with twin shots will completely trounce even the most optimal gun set up.

I'll run the number again later on.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Accretionist posted:

And yes, I took a son who was not mine into Sun in Shadow. I'd like PoE2's intro to make acknowledgement of this.
* daughter

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Hmm, I see you remembered

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 7, 2017

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Second consecutive week with no update.

Why doesn't Obsidian love us anymore?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

vaporware

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
They must've remembered that you can also keep the remains of the dead priests murdered tortuously by Wirtan underneath the ruin of a destroyed burning temple, and are now rewriting the intro to acknowledge this as well.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Airfoil posted:

I can't believe Pillars of Eternity 2 is now officially trapped forever in development hell

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Airfoil posted:

My friend, worry not, for Rope Kid brings special effects on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/861993759789039616

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
the devs fell in2 a deEp despaiR when YdwiN romance stretch goal wasnt hit

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

the announcement goes out that the stretch goals have failed

Rope Kid sits at his computer and highlights ydwinchanromance.txt

"Gomen'nasai" *hits delete*

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

That's gonna be in the DLC, just not in the main game.

Litany Unheard posted:

the announcement goes out that the stretch goals have failed

Rope Kid sits at his computer and highlights ydwinchanromance.txt

"Gomen'nasai" *hits delete*

He was gonna do that anyway, Rope Kid is good people.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

I can relate. But for sea monsters.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Any evil run pro-tips?

I've just started with a merchant pale elf cipher who's here to massacre caravans and foment authoritarianism, and I am all out of caravans.

So far, I've got:
  • Take care of the caravan (✓)
  • Gloat to Aufra (✓)
  • Don't let Skaen's blood pool go to waste
  • Don't let Heritage Hill's tower go to waste

Added:
  • Authoritarianism
    • Suppress insurgency in Gilded Vale (✓)
    • Suppress animancy in Defiance Bay
    • Strengthen Woedica
  • Vailian Nationalism
    • Subvert Dyrwooden trade
    • Anger the gods on behalf of Dyrwood
    • Work House Doemenel
  • Misc.
    • Snuff the candle (✓)
  • Companions:
    • Eder (✓)
    • Durance (✓)
    • Kana - Talk into promoting Rautaian isolationism
    • Aloth - Groom for leadership

Edit: Or, any prior discussions I should read?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 14, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Accretionist posted:

Any evil run pro-tips?

I've just started with a merchant pale elf cipher who's here to massacre caravans and foment authoritarianism, and I am all out of caravans.

So far, I've got:
  • Gloat to Aufra (✓)

Obviously, take a deal with a (every?) god then betray them all to Weodica for personal power, ravaging the Dyrwood.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Any evil run pro-tips?

So far, I've got:
  • Gloat to Aufra (✓)

Pro-authoritarians should probably at least kill Kolsc, though both works too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Obviously, take a deal with a (every?) god then betray them all to Weodica for personal power, ravaging the Dyrwood.

Haha, yess. That's perfect; my character's Old Vailian.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 12, 2017

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Help out house Doemenel as well.

Not sure quite what the evil option in white march is, to be honest.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm thinking:
  • Authoritarianism
    • Destroy Eyeless - Harms Abydon. Monotheism is the way and the light.
  • Vailian Nationalism
    • Wipe out Ogres -- Prevent ogre-local national alliance

In my heart, I am the first Woedican monotheist.

Reminder: From Order Flows All Things

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Been like a year but I'm playing this game through again. How big is the difficulty jump from normal to hard? I've got a pretty good grasp of Infinity Engine mechanics but some of the fights in BG1 and BG2 were ball busting hard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vargatron posted:

Been like a year but I'm playing this game through again. How big is the difficulty jump from normal to hard? I've got a pretty good grasp of Infinity Engine mechanics but some of the fights in BG1 and BG2 were ball busting hard.

Not very. You have to make more consistent use of buffs/debuffs, but most fights are still pretty trivial with a solid tank line and good ranged damage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Not very. You have to make more consistent use of buffs/debuffs, but most fights are still pretty trivial with a solid tank line and good ranged damage.

Path of the Damned is the only real difficulty hike but even that gets pretty easy after about level 9 or so when you start having good gear/spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DoctorTristan posted:

Help out house Doemenel as well.

Not sure quite what the evil option in white march is, to be honest.

Sure the Doemenels are crooks, but the Crucible Knights are more authoritarian, plus you can help them make robocops.

• Locked thread