Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ came out just over five months ago and was largely panned by community for being relatively light in content while also adding a bunch of stuff that actively made the game less fun. While some of the negatives were patched out, the relatively small amount of new content (very little of which was actually new, the new area it ads is just a mix of tilesets from all the existing levels and the new final boss is a glorified boss rush) was excused by the creators with the promise that with the new mod tools they would be patching in user-created content as official new material every month.

Cue five months later, there has only been one of these booster packs and it added a paltry 9 items and 3 trinkets :nallears:

so nobody learned from afterbirth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you want BoI to be fun again just get Antibirth.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

0 rows returned posted:

So I've been playing Nier, and really the only thing thats dragging down the game for me is the lack of lock-on, especially when nier gets in the way of aiming the low-powered energy blasts unless its during a boss fight or something that pulls the camera up much higher in the arena. It does bug me a little when you can get sidequests for items that are in areas that you can't access fully at the time you get the sidequest, like the junkheap. Other than that it's great, probably building up to one of my favorite games of all time.

Yeah, the combat in Nier is kinda all over the place since you can't really target anything, especially if your a spear user later on. The only things that have really good aim are the starting swords, and the spell where you shoot bolts, which is pretty much the only magic I ever really felt I needed.

My personal peeve with the game is that if you want to upgrade a weapon, you have to run all the way to the junk heap. It would be nice if fast traveling there was a thing. I think you unlock a form of fast travel later on, but it just dumps you at the foot of the bridge leading to the junk heap.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

If you want BoI to be fun again just get Antibirth.
Just play Nuclear Throne.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Kirk hammer sucks!!!!!!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

oldpainless posted:

:wrong:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

oldpainless posted:

More like oldhunterless.

Stellaris is still kind of boring but also weirdly compelling at the same time. Maybe it's because I don't have the latest expansion, but it's still full of nothing happening. The ai gets into wars that achieve nothing and change nothing, and either I get attacked and have to engage with the miserable fleet combat or I'm strong enough to roll over everyone and it's boring for a different reason.

Nothing really seems to happen outside my borders that isn't peaceful expansion. In any other paradox it's super interesting to get caught up in your own country for a decade or two and then spend some time panning around the map to see what's happened. Maybe because they're all interchangeable alien names on a randomised galaxay, so it's not as clear when things are different? I don't know.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The final boss of Specter Knight was kind of a let down, which is a shame because every other boss fight was pretty intense. I'm sure people enjoyed the fight, but chasing after the guy on a rail while he shoots attacks that do more to annoy you then hurt you just didn't click for me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gitro posted:

Stellaris is still kind of boring but also weirdly compelling at the same time. Maybe it's because I don't have the latest expansion, but it's still full of nothing happening. The ai gets into wars that achieve nothing and change nothing, and either I get attacked and have to engage with the miserable fleet combat or I'm strong enough to roll over everyone and it's boring for a different reason.

I've enjoyed what I've played of it well enough, but yeah it's just kind of that Paradox issue where early on in it's life the game can be neat, but there's a visible lack of stuff for a while, then it gets the real meat on it's bones a year or two later after it's had like half a dozen major expansions.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 03:04 on May 7, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

The final boss of Specter Knight was kind of a let down, which is a shame because every other boss fight was pretty intense. I'm sure people enjoyed the fight, but chasing after the guy on a rail while he shoots attacks that do more to annoy you then hurt you just didn't click for me.

I'm the nerd who got mad that they made a kick starter backer's deviant art OC an actual plot relevant character and final boss.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I'm the nerd who got mad that they made a kick starter backer's deviant art OC an actual plot relevant character and final boss.

Kickstarters that offer putting a pledger's character in games is going to be the biggest red flag for me.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

Kickstarters that offer putting a pledger's character in games is going to be the biggest red flag for me.

I can accept a backer oc as a background NPC, at a high price. The ones in Pillars were a bit overbearing from time to time but at least they were mostly ignorable.

I can accept a backer oc as a sidequest thing that can be ignored and is carefully woven into the world's fiction.

I can't comprehend leaving your final boss open enough that a kickstarter person gets to stick their oc in there.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The four extra bosses in the original Shovel Knight were Kickstarter rewards and they were all fine. :shrug:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Somfin posted:

I can accept a backer oc as a background NPC, at a high price. The ones in Pillars were a bit overbearing from time to time but at least they were mostly ignorable.

I can accept a backer oc as a sidequest thing that can be ignored and is carefully woven into the world's fiction.

I can't comprehend leaving your final boss open enough that a kickstarter person gets to stick their oc in there.

At least in Pillars you could murder a bunch of them to get some PRETTY GODDAMN NICE gear with little or no repercusion.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

The four extra bosses in the original Shovel Knight were Kickstarter rewards and they were all fine. :shrug:

One of them comes back as the main focus of Spectre Knight's entire storyline and becomes his final boss. "Hey, here's some funny side bosses" is one thing "here's a character that actively has the entire plot revolve around them" is another.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Eh, it's not like the donation was to have the character be that important. The character was put in as an extra boss, and then years later they decided to make him more important because, hey, he's a character in the fiction and he fits the role needed pretty well. It didn't come across as particularly out of place or anything without the metaknowledge of the character's origins.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Leal posted:

Shovel Knight is a fantastic game and all of those were great bosses though? Their inclusion seemed a little weird insofar as everyone else is a knight, even the tiny bird man with a mask and the dude that's just a scuba diver, but none of them came anywhere near dragging down the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I got Hollow Knight and it looks cool and stuff. But what the hell is up with these controls? I decided to use a gamepad instead and for some reason the inventory menu is forcibly bound to the touch-pad on the dual shock 4 and there's literally no way to rebind that one. There's an unused button right next to it! You can rebind every single keyboard control you want. But all you can really do with the gamepad options is swap which buttons activate your skills. Also the game doesn't pause when you minimize it which is kind of annoying, and again no menu option to stop that.

EDIT: Also maybe it's just me, but the jump feels really unresponsive. I keep falling off ledges because there's like half a second of delay between hitting the jump button and actually jumping. Also no quick dodge abilities or invincibility time after getting hit is kind of annoying. Their favorite trick so far is a one-two of a rock falling on your head and knocking you into a death pit of spikes in the middle of some platforming. :effort:

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 06:28 on May 7, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah that rock falling poo poo is infuriating. The weird part is that it's all in the early parts of the game and then goes away. I don't know why they would think that was appropriate for an introduction.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I've enjoyed what I've played of it well enough, but yeah it's just kind of that Paradox issue where early on in it's life the game can be neat, but there's a visible lack of stuff for a while, then it gets the real meat on it's bones a year or two later after it's had like half a dozen major expansions.

It's weird, because at the time eu4 had already had some of its best dlcs and stellaris is a step back in a number of ways.

The music's real good though, I'll give them that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pretty much any game where you are forced to walk or move slower than you normally do during gameplay.

I'm playing The Division and every time you leave or enter your main base you a forced to walk through the decontamination zone. You can't even walk normally in regular gameplay (I think?) so it sticks out even more. I'm sure its to hide a loading screen or whatever but it still bugs me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gitro posted:

It's weird, because at the time eu4 had already had some of its best dlcs and stellaris is a step back in a number of ways.

I think because Stellaris was breaching an entire new game type for them. Although they seem similar, 4X and Grand Strategy have some pretty key differences. While I'm not justifying Stellaris's rather anemic release, I can see why it didn't have the same feature build as the next entry in a flagship franchise.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gitro posted:

Paradox's composer, Andreas Waldetoft, is absolutely fantastic. I have a bunch of his music saved into Spotify playlists for background music when I'm reading something period-appropriate.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty much any game where you are forced to walk or move slower than you normally do during gameplay.

I'm playing The Division and every time you leave or enter your main base you a forced to walk through the decontamination zone. You can't even walk normally in regular gameplay (I think?) so it sticks out even more. I'm sure its to hide a loading screen or whatever but it still bugs me.

a particularly annoying one is in star trek online, where you have to spacewalk around the outside of deep space nine without any combat or dialogue. And apparently you weigh fifty times more in space because you're locked to a snail's pace.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think because Stellaris was breaching an entire new game type for them. Although they seem similar, 4X and Grand Strategy have some pretty key differences. While I'm not justifying Stellaris's rather anemic release, I can see why it didn't have the same feature build as the next entry in a flagship franchise.

Yeah, there's obviously a lot of stuff that was new in Stellaris compared to their other titles and a lot of the mechanical faults like the jankiness in fleet building or whatever is somewhat excusable. Just things like the galaxy itself being fairly inactive isn't something I'd expect given how much of the world goes on without you in their other games, probably other areas it's been too long for me to remember when compared to how polished ck2 and eu4 were at the time of its release.

I just screwed up buying ck2 DLC from the paradox store and now I'm stuck waiting for a reply to my support ticket in case installing any of it voids a refund for the bits I don't want :(

e: Oh yeah other things for Stellaris - the game lies and says you can get cheevos even if you have mods enabled. Survey automation is locked behind a midgame tech for some reason and there's no way I can see to automate construction ships and building upgrades. I'm in the mood to grab achievements for it but I'm not playing the game while doing all the fiddly bullshit.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 09:53 on May 7, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tunicate posted:

a particularly annoying one is in star trek online, where you have to spacewalk around the outside of deep space nine without any combat or dialogue. And apparently you weigh fifty times more in space because you're locked to a snail's pace.

In Knights of the Old Republic there was a dungeon with an underwater sequence which was a total slog because your character would slowly waddle across the ocean floor in a diving suit, pausing every few moments to use a sonic weapon to kill sharks.

Then in KotOR 2 they recycled the model and animation for a space walk but were nice enough to have it move as fast as normal walking, only they played the bouncy water/space walking animation at like triple speed. :laugh:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gitro posted:

Nothing really seems to happen outside my borders that isn't peaceful expansion. In any other paradox it's super interesting to get caught up in your own country for a decade or two and then spend some time panning around the map to see what's happened. Maybe because they're all interchangeable alien names on a randomised galaxay, so it's not as clear when things are different? I don't know.

One of the coolest parts of Paradox games for me is watching (or making) history go off the rails. You're not going to have that in a space 4x. Together with the lukewarm goon reception, it's one of the few Paradox games I'm giving a pass.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Away all Goats posted:

It's definitely a loading screen, but doesn't make it any less irritating. You used to be forced into a walk animation to get into the basement as well, but they managed to patch it out. Sprinting down an empty corridor should not be that satisfying.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Had no idea that Reize was a backer OC. I don't really think I mind that too much though, but I honestly do think a second phase on solid ground would have made the final boss fight a lot more memorable instead of a gimmick boss fight where the only real danger is missing a scythe jump.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So I got Hollow Knight and it looks cool and stuff. But what the hell is up with these controls? I decided to use a gamepad instead and for some reason the inventory menu is forcibly bound to the touch-pad on the dual shock 4 and there's literally no way to rebind that one. There's an unused button right next to it! You can rebind every single keyboard control you want. But all you can really do with the gamepad options is swap which buttons activate your skills. Also the game doesn't pause when you minimize it which is kind of annoying, and again no menu option to stop that.

EDIT: Also maybe it's just me, but the jump feels really unresponsive. I keep falling off ledges because there's like half a second of delay between hitting the jump button and actually jumping. Also no quick dodge abilities or invincibility time after getting hit is kind of annoying. Their favorite trick so far is a one-two of a rock falling on your head and knocking you into a death pit of spikes in the middle of some platforming. :effort:

I've heard a couple other people talk about that delay but I've never experienced it myself and I don't see it mentioned often, so maybe it's something caused by hardware/drivers/whatever? Everything was pretty responsive in my playthrough.

You do get a 'dodge' style ability and a charm that increases invincibility time later on, though. That said, the invincibility charm takes up charm slots, so it has a cost.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
I loving hate the motion control tilting puzzles in Breath of the Wild. So far I've completed two of them, and both times I managed to cheese the puzzle and cheat because the actual solution was frustrating as hell.
There's one where you have to tilt a ball through a maze but the camera never adjusts angle, so as you tilt it towards the top of the maze, you can't see what the gently caress you're doing at all.
I just flipped the whole puzzle upside down and rolled the ball along the flat underside. :colbert:

Also I'm playing on the Wii U and using the Pro Controller, so every time I have to do one of these I have to switch back to the game pad. It's a pain in my rear end because I try not to use it much, it's not very comfortable in my tiny baby hands :blush:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Away all Goats posted:

What's especially annoying is that even when you fast travel to the main base, it still plops you out on the street and you have to take the slow walk in. And the Terminal tunnel is long enough that you're not gonna save any time fast traveling directly there and coming in the back way.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

I loving hate the motion control tilting puzzles in Breath of the Wild. So far I've completed two of them, and both times I managed to cheese the puzzle and cheat because the actual solution was frustrating as hell.
There's one where you have to tilt a ball through a maze but the camera never adjusts angle, so as you tilt it towards the top of the maze, you can't see what the gently caress you're doing at all.
I just flipped the whole puzzle upside down and rolled the ball along the flat underside. :colbert:

Also I'm playing on the Wii U and using the Pro Controller, so every time I have to do one of these I have to switch back to the game pad. It's a pain in my rear end because I try not to use it much, it's not very comfortable in my tiny baby hands :blush:

It's awful on the Switch as well, I ended up flicking the ball into the air and miraculously it landed in the right place. Quite a few of the puzzle shrines are objectively a pain in the rear end actually. That Stasis one where you have to fire a ball across a room sucks if you want to get the extra item at the end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not that far into Breath of the Wild yet, but going after every last chest and sidequest seems a bit pointless now. In earlier Zelda games you never knew if you weren't about to get rewarded with a heart piece, now it's the one thing you 100% know you won't get from a random sidequest. Rather, rewards run along the lines of a weapon or rupees, and I'm already as likely to have an inventory full of weapons as I am to have a sack full of gems just from picking them up as I go.

I'm not even sure I'd consider it a thing that's dragging it down. I've never found it so easy to leave a sidequest or puzzle unsolved in a game. Usually I get a bit obsessive. It's relaxing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

John Murdoch posted:

What's especially annoying is that even when you fast travel to the main base, it still plops you out on the street and you have to take the slow walk in. And the Terminal tunnel is long enough that you're not gonna save any time fast traveling directly there and coming in the back way.

i wonder what the Division speedruns are like..

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I didn't really like The One Reborn fight in Bloodborne. It reminded me of Tower Knight in Demons Souls with the support mobs in the ramparts but the guy takes up too much of the screen for you to keep your eye on the little guy at the top to see if it's charging up an aoe or chucking flesh chunks at you.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 19:27 on May 7, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The strategy for The One Reborn is pretty much to just pop a Bolt Paper and DPS race his dumb rear end. Thank the good blood for rallying health back.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 19:39 on May 7, 2017

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

I find that when I switch to the gamepad for these puzzles it screws up the orientation of the puzzle too, so I spend as much time trying to get it to cooperate as I do trying to actually finish the puzzle.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zinkraptor posted:

I've heard a couple other people talk about that delay but I've never experienced it myself and I don't see it mentioned often, so maybe it's something caused by hardware/drivers/whatever? Everything was pretty responsive in my playthrough.

You do get a 'dodge' style ability and a charm that increases invincibility time later on, though. That said, the invincibility charm takes up charm slots, so it has a cost.

Probably is something on my end. I only notice it when I move and jump. Standing still? Fine. Every other button and command in the game so far? Excellent. Walking left or right and hit jump? Nope, walk right off that ledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Finally got my greasy mitts on Nier Atomato. Didn't get to play it too much, still getting used to the combat and holding the controller with my fingers over all of the back buttons, but I'm liking it.

One problem I'm having though is that I keep thinking its Breath of Wild and that I'm going to jump to the side of a building and start climbing it.