Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

For those of you who don't know, RiffTrax is primarily Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett (of Mystery Science Theater 3000 fame) riffing on cheesy movies. Established in 2006 when it was just Mike, a microphone, and a copy of Road House, RiffTrax has established itself as its own entity, having lasted longer than MST3K's original run! The business model can be divided into three equal parts: "Just the Jokes", B-movie riffs, and Shorts.

"Just the Jokes"
The bread and butter. RiffTrax sells you an audio file (usually about $4) to which you sync to a mainstream movie (or, in some instances, TV show).

Essentials
The Avengers
Jurassic Park
Road House (Three Riffer Edition)
Twilight
X-Men

B-movie riffs
At one point a niche product, now the main point of emphasis, these pre-synced movies (usually costing about $10) range from regular camp to :wtf:, and it's generally agreed the more :wtf: the movie is, the harder you'll laugh.

Essentials
Fun in Balloon Land
The Guy From Harlem
Miami Connection
R.O.T.O.R.
Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny

Shorts
For 99 cents you can get a short, sometimes a educational piece.

Essentials
The 'At Your Fingertips' series
Drugs Are Like That
Setting Up a Room
Shake Hands With Danger
This is Hormel
What is Nothing?

There is also RiffTrax Presents, which is a catch-all for riffs not featuring Mike Nelson. These usually involve the teams of Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl, Cole Stratton and Janey Varney, and Matthew J. Elliott and Ian Potter. Your mileage may vary.

In addition, RiffTrax usually does 3-4 live shows a year shown on movie screens nationwide. Traditionally, they will do one blockbuster and fill the remaining slots with B-movies. Make sure you see them in theaters - it takes a long time for the shows to be released for download, and that's only if they have the rights to do so!

So, what are you waiting for? Watch or listen to Mike, Kevin, and Bill today!

Twitch channel
YouTube channel

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This thread's title prompted me to finally see if it really was TMBG doing the theme song and it's... not! It's just some guy who sounds exactly like John Linnell.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

A buddy took me to the recent live riff of Samurai Cop for my birthday, and we all had a great time (us and the four other people in the theater).

Then he gave me a 25 dollar gift card for more Rifftrax. So thanks for the list, I think I'm gonna check out the shorts (the living chalk short in front of Samurai Cop was hilarious).

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I encourage everyone to get Rollergator. It's the greatest cinematic experience you will ever have.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bob James posted:

I encourage everyone to get Rollergator. It's the greatest cinematic experience you will ever have.

Seconded.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Established in 2006 when it was just Mike, a microphone, and a copy of Road House, RiffTrax has established itself as its own entity, having lasted longer than MST3K's original run!
I remember when I heard of Rifftrax back in 2006 and thought "Well, that's a cool project I guess, I wonder if it'll go anywhere." I also remember how excited I was when Kevin and Bill joined, even though it usually was only one of them riffing with Mike at that point.

Basically I'm trying to say "jesus christ I feel so old right now :gonk:"

[e] I'd personally add the Harry Potter riffs to the list of essentials. Not all of them are super amazing (Order of the Phoenix is my least favorite by far, as it has too many dick jokes even by my standards) but the first three or four are really good.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 22, 2017

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Bob James posted:

Hard disagreement. Its the hardest thing I had to sit through even with the riff track. Boring , slow, incoherent and above all annoying -it is just upseting maddening poo poo .
And dont get me started on the never ending one the note guitar twing soundtrack, poo poo is unbearable.

admataY fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 22, 2017

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Doc Morbid posted:

[e] I'd personally add the Harry Potter riffs to the list of essentials. Not all of them are super amazing (Order of the Phoenix is my least favorite by far, as it has too many dick jokes even by my standards) but the first three or four are really good.

"Wand" is a euphemism for penis :eng101:

I love the HP riffs and would definitely recommend them. Lord of the Rings and the Star Wars riffs (especially the holiday Life Day special) are wonderful as well.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
While making fun of The Room might seem cliche now, their Room episode is pretty amazing.

Gotta say though, surprised based on the timing that you didn't just make a more generalized MST3K and associated projects thread.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If we're doing recommendations, Cool As Ice clicks with me in a very strange way. It's a very competently made film which I think adds to the absurdity of it all. It's like Vanilla Ice's "8 Mile" but... so goddamned early 90s. And the riffing is viciously top-notch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If anyone wants to check it out for free, Pluto.TV recently added a Rifftrax channel. I'm not sure what episodes are in the rotation.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Timeless Appeal posted:

While making fun of The Room might seem cliche now, their Room episode is pretty amazing.

Gotta say though, surprised based on the timing that you didn't just make a more generalized MST3K and associated projects thread.

There IS the MST3K thread :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I think my all time favorite short is Loooooooove That Car! I could barely breathe during that one for all the laughing I was doing.
Also, it's been 10 years and I still want to know why Cathy doesn't eat breakfast.

Timeless Appeal posted:

The live version of The Room is even better, if only because they removed the awful Disembaudio bits and replaced them with the concept of "hip dick."

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 24, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why are there two rifftrax threads now? I thought this was the new one. I'm so confused.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
This IS the new thread.

raditts posted:

Also, it's been 10 years and I still want to know why Cathy doesn't eat breakfast.

I think it might have something to do with the petaluma chicken.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
A lot of them are on Amazon prime. For some reason not seeing characters sit at the bottom of the screen makes it less funny that MST3K

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Finally got around to watching the Jurassic World riff.

Riffs were okay, but the movie was meh.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Back in the saddle again.

Cannot wait for them to release the Mothra riff

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, what is the deal with classic sci-fi movies going to the Moon and finding a cave full of air?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

muscles like this! posted:

Man, what is the deal with classic sci-fi movies going to the Moon and finding a cave full of air?

"If only our characters didn't have to wear helmets!"

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

RIP the old thread. You had a good nine year (!!!) run.

As noted, many of the live shows are available for purchase as well, and I think a few are essentials. My personal picks:

-Christmas Shorts-Stravaganza
-Jack the Giant Slayer
-Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny (Jack and the Beanstalk is much more watchable than Thumbelina. Your brain cells will thank you for it)

Also it might be blasphemy, but I like the Rifftrax Live version of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians more than the original MST3K episode. I think it's the There Will Be Blood jokes that do it for me.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Ballz posted:

Also it might be blasphemy, but I like the Rifftrax Live version of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians more than the original MST3K episode. I think it's the There Will Be Blood jokes that do it for me.

The updated riffs on classics are pretty awesome, I've enjoyed the ones I've seen

Like I was a young kid/didn't have cable when the show was in its heyday, so I was late to the MST3K party. Over the last few years I've watched some of the originals on youtube where they annotated the origin of every joke and was surprised by just how many I didn't really get, still, in present day as an adult (I just loaded up Mitchell and in the first minute of movie there are riffs on both the watergate scandal and some lady who hosed yanni?? I understood half of one, and some negative quantity of the other)

The fact that kid-me grew to love the show anyway speaks to the quality of their entertainment!

e: also I really like lovely movies

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 7, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is definitely great, the first Christmas Shorts was really good too. I think Reefer Madness is the all time best live show, and Anaconda is really good, too.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
All I want to know is when will they do a Pacific Rim riff? A Pacific Riff, if you will.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Some of the early Rifftrax have pretty dated references already, too. There was like a solid year where any large on screen object was parlayed into a "Jorge Garcia is fat" joke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched Cat-Women of the Moon last night as it is on Amazon Prime and it's super loving bizarre how once they get to the moon it is almost exactly the same plot as Missile to the Moon.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

raditts posted:

Some of the early Rifftrax have pretty dated references already, too. There was like a solid year where any large on screen object was parlayed into a "Jorge Garcia is fat" joke.

The first 50 or so riffs referenced Schnappi.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I kinda like dated riffs. It feels like a deep pull now compared to it being a current reference. I watched an MST3k the other day and they mentioned Richard Jewell and I totally forgot about him.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
One of my favorite riffs is when there's a shot of a bridge at night with no lights on and one of them says "It's the Mary Jo Kopechne memorial bridge!"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Same deal that causes them to put lights inside the helmet that shine in the actors' eyes. Lazy filmmaking and a combination of `I paid for this actor, you're going to see their face` and `You're not paying me enough to keep my face hidden`.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Pff, kids these days with all their sci-fi snobbery. There was a time all you needed to go to the moon was an old leather football helmet and a dry cleaning bag! Killing selenites with a bop on the head from an umbrella, I tell you whut...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like in the 1960s adaptation of The First Men in the Moon, the explorers land on the moon and wander around in Victorian diving suits... complete with total lack of gloves. So just bare arms against the lunar vacuum. Men were manlier back then, I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Missile to the Moon.

I have no idea why but that's one of my favorite Rifftrax Presents. Possibly because it's one of the most "MST3K-ish" movies they've done.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

How is the Samurai Cop riff?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I really liked it a lot. Although, I feel the movie is so hilarious that you can watch it without the riff and still laugh yourself sick.

Still waiting on a Prince of Thieves riff, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Bridget and Mary Jo short Duties of a Secretary is amazing. Although you can basically say that about every Bridget and Mary Jo short.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Asnorban posted:

How is the Samurai Cop riff?

Not as good as R.O.T.O.R., which might be one of the funniest things I've ever watched, but it's solid.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Bridget and Mary Jo short Duties of a Secretary is amazing. Although you can basically say that about every Bridget and Mary Jo short.

Agreed! The Bridget & Mary Jo shorts are consistently hilarious. "Continuous ice circles"

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Joel is a Christian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
....Yes and?

What does Joel have to do with Rifftrax