Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

wow lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
undercard was fun. main event was completely laughable, just like when it was announced

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Go home and be a family man, Chavez.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

now Julio can go and drink all the Tecate and eat all the sopes he wants to

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

meat CRime posted:

loving lol that Canelo stood the whole fight

had to do something to make this more interesting. its like those dudes who play punchout blindfolded or whatever

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
This is my second boxing ppv ever and I think I'm more impressed with Max Kellerman's interviews than anything else. Canelo's cool too.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
How would a prime JCC Sr. fare against Canelo?

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
hopkins coke bottle glasses, lmao

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

even THIS is worse than expected

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Really? Canelo v GGG in Sept?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
BAW GAWD THATS GGG's MUSIC

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

HBO seems pretty confident about Canelo/Golovkin happening at 160 lb instead of some other goofy weight limit, let's hope that's the case.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Canelo GGG announcement is the silver linining of this poo poo main event. Hope it really happens.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Forceholy posted:

BAW GAWD THATS GGG's MUSIC

I can't believe i missed this, because it sounds legitimately great

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Es con mucho orgullo que vuelvo al ingles para seguir platicando sobre boxeo con ustedes en los foros de Something Awful

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I can't believe i missed this, because it sounds legitimately great

It was actually underwhelming in the moment but is Chavez to blame for killing everyone's buzz.

Also no way this won't be full middleweight. Golovkin just gave up everything else which is what you do as the b side because that's the business.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm glad I didn't get up real early to watch this, but I'm real glad I decided to bet on it because that was some easy money.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

please, Canelo vs GGG Big Drama Show, be somewhere that I can afford to go to, because I WILL want to see this fight and buy this shirt
https://twitter.com/DuranSports/status/523644253889503232

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That was the dumbest goddamn fight I've ever watched in my life and now I feel like a chump because you loving know that everyone in both camps knew this was just a setup to announce the Golovkin fight.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Troy Queef posted:

please, Canelo vs GGG Big Drama Show, be somewhere that I can afford to go to, because I WILL want to see this fight and buy this shirt
[url]https://twitter.com/DuranSports/status/523644253889503232]

Is Canelo not universally loved in Mexico like Pac in the Philippines?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/DuranSports/status/523644253889503232
Lmao

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the fight report for this is the 13th story down on boxingscene. who organises that site

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Glad I missed this one, I'll catch he replay I guess.
Canelo thinkin he can box because he outboxed JCC Jr makes me want to realllly favor GGG

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's not like Canelo doesn't box though

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I feel like Canelo can at the very least do a decent job emulating the strategy Jacobs used.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
The difference is that Jacobs is 6'1 and canelo is like 5'7.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

mike- posted:

The difference is that Jacobs is 6'1 and canelo is like 5'7.

And Danny moves a lot better, and has a ton of power.

Canelo didn't look like he ever staggered Chavez last night.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Klitschko/Joshua, Ward/Kovalev II, Canelo/Golovkin... 2017 is shaping up to be a huge year for boxing.

Pity that this fight was a total joke. Let's hope Chavez goes back to smoking bowls poolside for the rest of his life.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Hot new theory as to why Canelo-Chavez sucked so much of course involves shady dealings with Oscar and combat sport's favorite mysterious (possibly non-existent) power broker.

https://twitter.com/GabeOppenheim/status/860646422571397120

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Don't think you need to go that far out of your way to explain why notable lacklustre boxer JCCJR was lacklustre against one of the best. Also if they were rigging it they would have made it look more exciting.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Yeah Chavez just sucks.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Chavez's extreme suck not withstanding it's estimated that the fight did about a million buys. Even my casual as hell work buddy bought it after Chavez made weight.

The Golovkin fight will do massive numbers. All else equal I'd say anything south of 1.5 million would be disappointing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Name recognition is a hell of a thing

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/18/conor-mcgregor-claims-he-has-agreed-to-fight-floyd-mayweather-jr-ufc-boxing

I guess this is really (maybe) happening.

quote:

McGregor, who currently holds the UFC lightweight title, has concluded his side of the negotiation process and hopes Mayweather will sign the deal “in the coming days” after months of speculation linking the two multi-division champions first came to prominence in May of last year.

In a statement issued to TheMacLife.com, the Irishman said: “It is an honour to sign this record breaking deal alongside my partners Zuffa LLC, The Ultimate Fighting Championship and Paradigm Sports Management.

“The first, and most important, part of this historic contract has now officially been signed off on. Congratulations to all parties involved. We now await Al Haymon and his boxer’s signature in the coming days.”

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Looks like it.

This was the original release:
https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/exclusive-conor-mcgregor-talks-signing-contract-to-fight-floyd-mayweather/

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

what a waste of a floyd fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ready for that sweet ko

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Floyd still hasn't agreed which is the big hurdle

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I keep thinking about that very early mma fighter with control issues who you can watch on YouTube round house kicking some boxing champ in the early 90s. I forget the details but someone not on a phone could find it.

Edit it's Patrick smith I think, but where is the video

Edit 2 damnit I don't know who it was, this is driving me nuts. Anyway I predict a standing guillotine in round two.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 18, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jack B Nimble posted:

I keep thinking about that very early mma fighter with control issues who you can watch on YouTube round house kicking some boxing champ in the early 90s. I forget the details but someone not on a phone could find it.

Edit it's Patrick smith I think, but where is the video

Edit 2 damnit I don't know who it was, this is driving me nuts. Anyway I predict a standing guillotine in round two.

You could also look at Francois Botha in K-1 if you want to see what it looks like when a boxer tries his hand at kickboxing without actually kicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

https://youtu.be/2DmbOL4oyWQ

Bowe vs Elijah tillery, got it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 18, 2017