Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think Clyde left to join Moriarty at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He was always destined to make it big.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Clyde is actually leader of the gang Shinwell was hired to take down. Sherlock and Watson will be forced to pick between them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How is that even a choice? They'd choose Clyde.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I feel like when this show started, the mysteries each week were unusually good by US procedural standards, but now they've become tired and bland.

I'd hate to see the show cancelled this season, since I think it's always better for a show to know in advance that it's on it's last season, that way they can plan out a proper arc.

But at this point I think they should just announce that next season will be the last. It's right at the tipping point of becoming a bad show and I'd hate to see it linger as a shambling corpse for several seasons like bones did.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Welp, didn't expect Shinwell to die tonight. I thought he would die in the finale(which I thought was this episode, but is actually in 2 weeks) after he gave Joan his confession.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

But at this point I think they should just announce that next season will be the last. It's right at the tipping point of becoming a bad show and I'd hate to see it linger as a shambling corpse for several seasons like bones did.

The unofficial announcement that this would probably be the last season was when the show was moved to Sunday nights.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's weird that this season's drama was lower key than the last... all of them? But that's fine and I've still been enjoying it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Apparently the show is still on the bubble.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Welp, didn't expect Shinwell to die tonight. I thought he would die in the finale(which I thought was this episode, but is actually in 2 weeks) after he gave Joan his confession.

Yeah, like, Shinwell's death was sort of inevitable after the confession thing. At least it's probably going to lead into the finale, which makes some sense even if it's not super exciting conceptually.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Apparently the show is still on the bubble.

Season 5 ends on a cliffhanger, according to the showrunner, and he said that they've already started staffing up/giving contracts to all the behind the scenes people for season 6. Apparently the show makes CBS a ton of money overseas, and it's one of the few shows they have that they own outright so it's all profit for them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Show got renewed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Nice! I like the format. They could go all Law & Order on this and I'd watch them. I'd watch them all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

Show got renewed.

That kind of surprises me, but to be honest I'm still happy about it. I would've been OK if this were the last one too, but to be honest I would like to see them do something with the larger arcs before it's over.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Yay! We get to complain one more year about the lack of Moriarty. Or, hopefully, wait with anticipation for an arc involving Moriarty. Worse comes to worst, they could just recast the role, I hear Kat Dennings is available...

A strong arc with "classical" Sherlock Holmes characters is what has been missing this season. I do hope they take advantage of their suprising renewal and finish with a bang.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

For season 6 I think the thing want to see most honestly is more stuff to do with Sherlock's mom. There's clearly some intended story there, since we know very, very few things about her which is clearly an intentional thing for if/when that aspect of Sherlock's life gets explored. Like, we know that she was also a drug addict, and her name began with an "M" (like every other Holmes that is not Sherlock) and, uh, she probably didn't dislike Morland and she's dead obviously. That's it really unless I'm forgetting something.

Also more things from the Cold Cases Trunk would be neat too.

Finally, more Clyde. Season 5 was way too low on Clyde.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Happy its going for another season.

And as an oversea person, hell yeah this show is popular. Everyone I know watches it, which is really rare as its usually 'I watch X but not Y, might watch Z later' type conversation.
But with Elementary, its 'different'.

Now it was hated when it first came out, a how dare they try to steal Cucumber Boulderdash's glory, he's the only Sherlock.
But since the fart huffing shitfest that was the recent UK Sherlock, people have warmed up to Elementary.

And RIP Shinwell. Expected him to last until a massive stand off with Sherlock and Watson in the middle, but hey still might happen.
Pretty lovely that we went from evil mastermind, to international spy stuff, to world spanning evil corporations doing poo poo, and now to crappy city gangs.

Hope 6 has more mystery with the whole arc.

Also, I may have missed an episode, what happened to Sherlocks girlfriend, the coder with aspergers?

Edit: VVVVV Awwwwww.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 14, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They broke up semi-amicably.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jorghnassen posted:

Yay! We get to complain one more year about the lack of Moriarty. Or, hopefully, wait with anticipation for an arc involving Moriarty. Worse comes to worst, they could just recast the role, I hear Kat Dennings is available...

A strong arc with "classical" Sherlock Holmes characters is what has been missing this season. I do hope they take advantage of their suprising renewal and finish with a bang.

I just rewatched those episodes, and drat, can they please bring her back? Please? I mean... come on!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So the crazy meetings lady who is in love with Sherlock is new right? Seems really abrupt to just add her like that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So the crazy meetings lady who is in love with Sherlock is new right? Seems really abrupt to just add her like that.

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Yeah that was a weird change of pace. It felt like she was acting as a messenger for someone else.

Also, Natalie Dormer has no excuse not to show up next season since she got killed off GoT, right?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I have a pretty strong feeling she's (pure speculation) completely in Sherlock's head, likely the victim of the crime he was talking to her about

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I hope it's something really mundane. Like, he hit bottom and banged his #1 fan.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I think it's Moriarty speaking through her. Like the woman's wired up to be her eyes and ears - an easy way to have Moriarty on the show without using the actress.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I have a guess:

I believe that Sherlock is losing it and that the person he is talking to is his mother (in his head, Fight Club style).

As posted above, all we've known about Sherlock's mother so far is that she was an addict (and would go to meetings) and that her name started with "M" (and the person in that episode was named May).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

InfiniteZero posted:

I have a guess:

I believe that Sherlock is losing it and that the person he is talking to is his mother (in his head, Fight Club style).

As posted above, all we've known about Sherlock's mother so far is that she was an addict (and would go to meetings) and that her name started with "M" (and the person in that episode was named May).

I'm 99% sure it's this. The first episode Lucy Liu directed had a similar ... uhhh what's the word for it, this sort of thingie in it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pick posted:

I'm 99% sure it's this. The first episode Lucy Liu directed had a similar ... uhhh what's the word for it, this sort of thingie in it.

It also explains why the character jarringly appears out of nowhere: because that's literally what is happening. The reveal of who she actually is would make for a great closer.

Assuming I'm correct of course. Otherwise I'm pulling for it to be Moriarty wearing a Mission Impossible style mask and for the show to just go full-on ridiculous (*).

(*) not really

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

InfiniteZero posted:

I have a guess:

This is good and I like it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'll be disappointed if it's a Fight Club thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

InfiniteZero posted:

I have a guess:

I'm pretty sure it's this, also I feel as though we actually did learn in a previous episode that Sherlock's mom's name is May, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

HookShot posted:

I'm pretty sure it's this, also I feel as though we actually did learn in a previous episode that Sherlock's mom's name is May, but maybe I'm misremembering.

I went back to (the previous thread to) check and, yeah, it was. I didn't remember that we knew the full thing, just that it began with "M."

Also if that theory is right then I had the best timing with that "it sure would be nice if..." post. :v:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good episode. I'm looking forward to the finale.

Interesting ideas about Sherlock's stalker. I was more focused on the main mystery that I kind of just took it at face value.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I think the new person, May, is Sherlock's new NA sponsor whom is really bad with boundaries.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

InfiniteZero posted:

I have a guess:

Welp.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

InfiniteZero posted:

I have a guess:

Good call on headmom.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh no :ohdear:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Please don't have alzheimers or a brain tumor, Sherlock.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually thought this was a really sharp end-of-season, because usually the season ends with Sherlock in trouble because he's been an rear end or screwed something up, but this is a season ender where Watson's pretty clearly to blame, I think. She should have recognized some of the signs of brain problems, but she jumped to negative interpretations even though they didn't fit Sherlock's character. She got too focused on the case this time, and lost her perspective on her partner, and he was suffering because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pick posted:

I actually thought this was a really sharp end-of-season, because usually the season ends with Sherlock in trouble because he's been an rear end or screwed something up, but this is a season ender where Watson's pretty clearly to blame, I think. She should have recognized some of the signs of brain problems, but she jumped to negative interpretations even though they didn't fit Sherlock's character. She got too focused on the case this time, and lost her perspective on her partner, and he was suffering because of it.
I don't think it's really fair to "blame" Watson for anything, especially when we don't know what Sherlock's brain problems actually are. Mental illness and neurological issues aren't easily diagnosed at the best of times, and Sherlock's eccentric as hell to begin with.

It is an interesting end to the season though, and I have to wonder where they're going to take the series from here.

• Locked thread