Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

So, I forget:

We're told that each of the 'special' Titans is a unique and irreplaceable type, right?

What does that mean for the Colossal Titans in the walls?

I think the special titans are just unique and irreplaceable because they're human shifters who can control the titan form.

Presumably the colossal titans in the walls were commanded there by the power of the leader titan and they don't have free will or the ability to shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Rod licking the serum off the floor turned him into a huge hosed up and extremely lovely titan who resembled a giant rotisserie chicken, and who would not have even been able to eat any Titan Shifter presented before him since it could barely lift its eat/he would incinerate them before it got into his mouth. So maybe the serum only works properly and reliably when injected. Lots of the titans from Connie's village are pretty heinous looking, and Connie's mom came out with lovely useless limbs, and his dad became such a manlet of a titan he could fit inside of an average home just by bending over (Connie's dad is the one that Sasha saved the girl from).

We still see titans hosed up from injections tho. That titan found crawling towards Wall Maria found by the scouts for example. I think injections are preferred so the titan juice doesn't evaporate immedietely.

When Kenny asked Reiss why he didn't just take the titan power himself, he said that he could not become a titan. I'm wondering if this line implied he knew he would turn into a disfigured titan, and if it implies some people's bodies just aren't suitable for titanization.

Also can't wait for the story to go back to the Wall people. I really want to see them experimenting on the wall titans and if Eren can use the coordinate if Historia rides on his shoulder

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sub Harrison posted:

When Kenny asked Reiss why he didn't just take the titan power himself, he said that he could not become a titan. I'm wondering if this line implied he knew he would turn into a disfigured titan, and if it implies some people's bodies just aren't suitable for titanization.

Yeah this was cleared up in an interview with Isayama in the guidebook. He felt he needed to stay alive to continue the Reiss family(which makes more sense now that we know they have to pass on the coordinate every 13 years).

Here's the reddit post where someone translated a bunch of it. This was before the basement reveal though so not much relevant info.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 6, 2017

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sub Harrison posted:

We still see titans hosed up from injections tho. That titan found crawling towards Wall Maria found by the scouts for example. I think injections are preferred so the titan juice doesn't evaporate immedietely.

Also can't wait for the story to go back to the Wall people. I really want to see them experimenting on the wall titans and if Eren can use the coordinate if Historia rides on his shoulder

What I would guess given what we know is that people who are older are not suited to be transformed into titans for some reason. It may not be an all-or nothing deal, but just that as you get older the chances are more likely that you will turn into a hosed up titan. This would explain why Reiss, as well as Connie's parents, turned into hosed up titans, and it would also potentially explain why the Marley only select young Eldians for titanization

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Cool ep.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
They're already suspicious of a connection between Monkey Trouble and Eren's dad. Clever girls...

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I haven't watched many anime after having read the manga first (or so extensively), is it typical for shows derived from manga for the openings to have so many spoilers crammed in them? I was just watching the ones from the first season and they will have all the Shifters constantly appearing together in shots or juxtaposed in really obvious ways. This season's opening has a quick shot of a bunch of titans dragging down another Titan which seems to obviously be the Coordinate ability.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

They tend to have shots or scenes that may foreshadow something coming up, or have scenes that straight up never appear in the story proper -- it tends to be kind of a toss-up with different anime.

I think you're noticing a lot of this because you've read it already, but to most show-only watchers they're just a bunch of unrelated scenes/images and I doubt most people spend a ton of time reading into what they mean.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah. There's also shots of a dinosaur running together with Monkey Trouble, trampling humanity underfoot. You can't really tell what's a spoiler and what isn't until you, well, know.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Boy won't there be egg on our faces once the manga reveals the Dino Shifters and it turns out the anime opening/ending actually was a spoiler.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That was a really cool reveal. It's been too long since we've seen a proper titan fight, so that'll be nice next week.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you know, it's kind of disappointing that jean has been sidelined for basically the second half of the series so far. on one hand i guess it's good because it means he hasn't had a chance to die, but he was an entertaining dude and i can't remember the last time he even appeared in a panel, much less did something

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you know, it's kind of disappointing that jean has been sidelined for basically the second half of the series so far. on one hand i guess it's good because it means he hasn't had a chance to die, but he was an entertaining dude and i can't remember the last time he even appeared in a panel, much less did something

Well at this point he won't be doing much until they go and retrieve Eren.

He has some pretty big parts in the revolution arc, but I mean his role at this part in the story wasn't very important anyway.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

neither has sasha, and she was the whole reason i read this friggin manga in the first place

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I always found it weird that they were so suspicious of bernholdt and reiner but let eren get so close to them. Eren being in the area makes sense since they are there to plug a hole, but still they shouldn't let him get physically so close to those two. Maybe they figured if they were titans they weren't going to try something with everyone present? I guess they let their guard down because titans showed up after they were quarantined already.

Also the anime episode was really good (except the gross cgi colossal but everything else makes up for it).

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 7, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone in this series really the good guys? It seems like their whole world is pretty hosed up.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Those dudes with fez hats seemed o-k
maybe the main characters can ally with them

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Seconded, I really liked Jean, he often gave Eren a much needed reality bitchslap on how his actions affect others.

comedyblissoption posted:

I always found it weird that they were so suspicious of bernholdt and reiner but let eren get so close to them. Eren being in the area makes sense since they are there to plug a hole, but still they shouldn't let him get physically so close to those two. Maybe they figured if they were titans they weren't going to try something with everyone present? I guess they let their guard down because titans showed up after they were quarantined already.

Also the anime episode was really good (except the gross cgi colossal but everything else makes up for it).
I don't remember them having that discussion about suspecting Bernholdt and Reiner in the manga, if it was an addition then it worked great. In the manga Armin's reasoning for suspecting Annie was pretty much "who the gently caress knows, could be anyone, lets roll!" and everyone just went with it.

They did the reveal pretty great and the soundtrack really added to it. Extra hosed up now that we know just how poo poo everything is everywhere and that these are child soldiers with a death sentence on top of everything else. These guys have to be hosed in the head with guilt and identity conflict. And not a single "my daddy didn't love me" or masturbating over a fallen comrade yet which is another plus. :laffo:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

Seconded, I really liked Jean, he often gave Eren a much needed reality bitchslap on how his actions affect others.

I don't remember them having that discussion about suspecting Bernholdt and Reiner in the manga, if it was an addition then it worked great. In the manga Armin's reasoning for suspecting Annie was pretty much "who the gently caress knows, could be anyone, lets roll!" and everyone just went with it.

They did the reveal pretty great and the soundtrack really added to it. Extra hosed up now that we know just how poo poo everything is everywhere and that these are child soldiers with a death sentence on top of everything else. These guys have to be hosed in the head with guilt and identity conflict. And not a single "my daddy didn't love me" or masturbating over a fallen comrade yet which is another plus. :laffo:

They mentioned that Annie was from the same town as Bernholdt and Reiner so they suspected them to be the two titans.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Episode-042?id=326157#17

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Those scenes of suspecting reiner and bernholdt were in the manga in the same place.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why didn't Marcel or Reiner transform when they were attacked by Ymir en route to the walls? And Was Annie with them at the time, or was she in reserve and they had to go back to the dock and request a spare?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why didn't Marcel or Reiner transform when they were attacked by Ymir en route to the walls? And Was Annie with them at the time, or was she in reserve and they had to go back to the dock and request a spare?

We have no idea what the situation was there, so who knows. I'm sure we'll get a flashback at some point.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yeah it's not super clear why marcel didn't just transform to save himself but I imagine it was some amount of shock at the prospect of being eaten that kept him from reacting properly.

As far as whether Annie was part of the team originally, that's a story detail that I doubt we'll get clarified for some time, although I imagine she was.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
She might've been a small and fast abnormal that caught them by surprise, or they were in cooldown from having titanized earlier in the day, or both.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
He also looks like, twelve. Can't blame a kid for panicking.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I've been going back through the manga and I noticed that Grisha's titan form looks similar to Monkey Trouble. This is well before the reveal that they are related.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

A small detail which may or may not support this:The titan in Reiner's flashback is slightly different than what we see of Ymir now. Flashback Ymir had typical titan teeth and looked more emaciated, whereas titan Ymir had sharp teeth and more defined musculature. There's just enough difference here to suspect it was a different (perhaps related) titan, but that doesn't rule out the possibility Ymir spent time as an uncontrolled titan.

This got posted in the anime thread, and holy poo poo.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
gently caress I never even noticed that. I think the other day we all concluded that Ymir looking the same feral and shifter was just to be recognizable/Isayama forgot.

Speaking of, is Mikasa having a super secret ninja tattoo retconned out? The anime just had her mom showing her how to embroider a kanji or something.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Speaking of, is Mikasa having a super secret ninja tattoo retconned out? The anime just had her mom showing her how to embroider a kanji or something.
I want to say "yes", but it could easily resurface now that the Ackermans have been revealed to be indirectly tied to the research on titans.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Watch this be some Gyo poo poo, with titans being the accidental runaway product of Japanese weapons experimentation

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Have there been any details on Annie attacking the survey corps before she tried to kidnap Eren other than they probably were massacred by her before?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Have there been any details on Annie attacking the survey corps before she tried to kidnap Eren other than they probably were massacred by her before?

What do you mean?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

No, and I don't think there is any evidence that Annie engaged the survey corp before then.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

It seems kind of weird that they came up with a very elaborate operation to bait out and capture a titan shifter while also spreading misinformation about Eren's position. I was speculating that they had encountered a shifter out there before and that's why they were able to prepare for it the next time. There was also that scene where Irwin asked Eren if he knew anything when they were being drafted for the survey corps.

I guess I might've misinterpreted Levi's dialogue that somehow the survey corps had encountered her before.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
They hypothesized the existence of enemy shifters from the fact that Eren was a shifter (which was their first exposure to the concept) and that the titans that broke through the walls both were uncharacteristically purposefully for something supposedly mindless, and that they ceased their attack before completely breaching the barrier.

It's certainly possible that Annie would have fought the survey corp before, but there really isn't any reason to suspect that.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It seems kind of weird that they came up with a very elaborate operation to bait out and capture a titan shifter while also spreading misinformation about Eren's position. I was speculating that they had encountered a shifter out there before and that's why they were able to prepare for it the next time. There was also that scene where Irwin asked Eren if he knew anything when they were being drafted for the survey corps.

I guess I might've misinterpreted Levi's dialogue that somehow the survey corps had encountered her before.

Reading back through the plot up to their first expedition, it doesn't seem like they've encountered her before. Erwin just becomes skeptical that there's someone in the Survey Corps with powers similar to Eren, so he comes up with the plot to spread misinformation and see if they can bait anyone out.

The only real motivation for that suspicion, other than good intuition, is that someone had offed Sonny and Bean recently and he figured that it was someone in league with the titans. He specifically was suspicious of the new recruits and so he only shared the plan with corps members that had been there for the last 5 years.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Erwin deliberately tried to lure out any other possible hidden shifters on the slim chance they might exist. The Armored Titan didn't destroy the inner gate of Trost like it did in Shiganshina, so Erwin speculated that Eren became the new target for any intelligent Titans since Eren's existence proved they could exist.

His whole plan was taking a risk on shaky information and conjecture and it paid off.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

McTimmy posted:

His whole plan was taking a risk on shaky information and conjecture and it paid off.
Yeah this makes the most sense. Eren being a titan lets them make a lot of speculation about the colossal titan and the possibility of being infiltrated.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They approach the sudden appearance of superpowers in the most reasonable way possible: immediately exploring what it means in the context of military conflict, both as a weapon that could be used by them or against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh hi there. Captain Invictus in the Anime Season 2 thread gave me the inspiration I needed to binge read everything that had happened since I took a break to let the series build up more. Yeeeah. I just read 23 chapters in 7 hours and regret nothing. Now that I'm here, I've just gotta say:
:tviv:

Everything is so horrible, and this is the best series ever.