Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Well gently caress me, I was looking in Settings this entire time. Thank you so much!

You must be used to iOS. Settings for apps are in the apps themselves in Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You both are misinterpreting, I meant the Settings option in the app itself, that is literally labeled Application Settings. Had no idea there'd be other settings, for the app, in an entirely different Thing To Tap On.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

You both are misinterpreting, I meant the Settings option in the app itself, that is literally labeled Application Settings. Had no idea there'd be other settings, for the app, in an entirely different Thing To Tap On.

Fair enough, I've never used the app in question but I've definitely used ones with some questionable decisions when it comes to settings organization.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You're conversing with a person who has managed to get a hotdog stuck in his windpipe

Twice

Just let that sink in for a bit and realise it's probably just them being dumb

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

You're conversing with a person who has managed to get a hotdog stuck in his windpipe

You have me confused with someone else; I've gotten food stuck in my esophagus thanks to an incurable immune disorder I've had my entire life in which food impaction is pretty much something I'll have to deal with my entire life.

Doesn't stop two different places for settings to be really stupid.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fair enough, settings can be dumb too, try not let it get stuck in your windpipe craw

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

In his defense the app is really unintuitive to use. I only use it over Textra because for some reason it takes a while for poo poo to sync with mighty text.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Is there a recommended QR reader? There are a ton of them on the Play Store and they all look a little shady.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

effika posted:

Is there a recommended QR reader? There are a ton of them on the Play Store and they all look a little shady.

Google Goggles does this I think

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

effika posted:

I've been using this for years: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
My brother showed me his GS8 a couple days ago. He had to get a new phone because the battery in his Nexus 6 took a huge dump. It's got Google Assistant installed, and a dedicated button for Bixby, Samsung's answer to Google Assistant and Siri from what I can tell.

He told me half the time the button doesnt even do anything! Astounding! :monocle:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The s8 would look so loving good if it was like an inch or so shorter

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

The s8 would look so loving good if it was like an inch or so shorter

Ya I'm not sure why 18:9 is a thing with these new phones.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

vyst posted:

Google Goggles does this I think

I can't get it to work on my Pixel. :lol:

This works well! Thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nimper posted:

You can display TWO square photos at a time! TWO!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

18:9 is a thing so they can advertise larger screen sizes without actually making the display bigger.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

effika posted:

I can't get it to work on my Pixel. :lol:

Goggles is basically an unsupported app at this point. It hasn't been updated in 3 years.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Goggles is basically an unsupported app at this point. It hasn't been updated in 3 years.

It was such a good idea and legitimately useful so of course it's abandoned and broken

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah Goggles has basically looked like a Gingerbread app forever. I assume they abandoned it with the intention of incorporating all of its functionality into Google Assistant somehow. But either it doesn't have it yet or it's just a lot harder to use for that purpose.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like how now if I take a picture with the default camera Google Goggles may prompt a notification that it identified something, then when you click the notification Google Goggles tries to pull up and crashes. Super polished there, Google.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah Goggles has basically looked like a Gingerbread app forever. I assume they abandoned it with the intention of incorporating all of its functionality into Google Assistant somehow. But either it doesn't have it yet or it's just a lot harder to use for that purpose.

Nah it's just google being google

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Google probably doesn't care about Goggles because they built the functionality into Now On Tap.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-now-tap-offers-app-translation-qr-code-scanning-and-more

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, all you really have to do is open the camera app, bring the thing you want to scan in the window, and launch now on tap.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
One of the big things Motorola really did right was building QR code reading right into the camera app.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

nimper posted:

Most people are looking at giant scrolling lists, essentially, so it makes a bit of sense. On a related note, it's crazy how little time it takes for the screen on the S8 or G6 to look normal and make everything else look weird and fat.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

One of the big things Motorola really did right was building QR code reading right into the camera app.

Ios or android, not sure why this isn't standard.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Ios or android, not sure why this isn't standard.

Ironically Bixby can do this with the Galaxy S8 camera app lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Do Bixby and Google Assistant ever get into fights?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

bull3964 posted:

18:9 is a thing so they can advertise larger screen sizes without actually making the display bigger.

Yeah, reporting screen size via the length of the diagonal instead of the area has always been bullshit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there a to-do app out there that lets me get notifications at a regular or custom interval until I check off the items on it? My memory is terrible and I'm always on my phone, so I'd love it if my phone could sort of nag me over things I tell it to until I do said things.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a to-do app out there that lets me get notifications at a regular or custom interval until I check off the items on it? My memory is terrible and I'm always on my phone, so I'd love it if my phone could sort of nag me over things I tell it to until I do said things.

Keep has okay reminders that can be continually postponed. It is also really easy to add things to Keep via "Ok Google", which is pretty nice.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

accipter posted:

Keep has okay reminders that can be continually postponed. It is also really easy to add things to Keep via "Ok Google", which is pretty nice.

This is true but can't it only be postponed in hour increments

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Blue Train posted:

This is true but can't it only be postponed in hour increments

The initial snooze options are: in an hour, or later. Choosing "later" provides you with options of: tomorrow, next week, pick time/date, and pick a place.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

oic that's handy

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a lockscreen widget I can set up to show upcoming Google Now reminders? I'd like to keep a todo-list available at a glance so I can quickly see what all I have to do today. If no such thing exists for Google Now reminders, then I'd settle for a standalone solution even if it means going in and manually setting up todo's.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Uthor posted:

Google probably doesn't care about Goggles because they built the functionality into Now On Tap.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-now-tap-offers-app-translation-qr-code-scanning-and-more

My phone doesn't find poo poo when I point the camera at a QR code and launch Now.

I'm in the US, does that make a difference?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

IAmKale posted:

Is there a lockscreen widget I can set up to show upcoming Google Now reminders? I'd like to keep a todo-list available at a glance so I can quickly see what all I have to do today. If no such thing exists for Google Now reminders, then I'd settle for a standalone solution even if it means going in and manually setting up todo's.

I don't think lockscreen widgets are a thing anymore without root

To answer your question though I use collateral, it allows you to set up persistent notifications

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Mogomra posted:

My brother showed me his GS8 a couple days ago. He had to get a new phone because the battery in his Nexus 6 took a huge dump. It's got Google Assistant installed, and a dedicated button for Bixby, Samsung's answer to Google Assistant and Siri from what I can tell.

He told me half the time the button doesnt even do anything! Astounding! :monocle:
Yeah, whatever they did to keep the button push from being caught by Accessibility services turned it from "button that launches useless app" to "button that sometimes launches useless app, usually with a delay".

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

IAmKale posted:

I asked for something similar a few years back, and was directed to NiLS. It's free, it's simple, and it works. There is an IAP to upgrade to Pro, but all that unlocks is some cosmetic options. Also, the dev was responsive when I contacted him with an issue, and he managed to fix it fairly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Ferret King posted:

My phone doesn't find poo poo when I point the camera at a QR code and launch Now.

I'm in the US, does that make a difference?

Some brief research suggests Google removed QR code scanning when they switched to Assistant.