Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Post here if you are new, and let us know what your personal interests are! I'm hoping to do a reboot of this subforum, and all sorts of outdoor recreation, hobbies, and activities are welcome, not just hiking!

Personally, I am an avid hiker and backpacker, but I also adore snorkeling/freediving, landscape and wildlife photography, ecotourism and travel, and basically anything that gets me outdoors. I am also one of your idiot kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i went for a walk this afternoon

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
I walk my dog outdoors every day, and we have many fun adventures!
Important to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes in my area and always bring water for both hikers.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I love backpacking and cycling (road mainly but a bit of gravel/mountain) and am not new to this forum but am one of the IK's so I figure I should say hi.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Hi Picnic Basket, I'm just here for the free GIFs you've advertised!

Thanks in advance!

Love,

500 good dogs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Hi, I'm new here. I think I'm going to spend a few days backpacking the Mogollon Rim in Arizona sometime soon. Any of you guys been there? Would love trail recommendations

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I found out about this place from the leper's colony. What's up?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Iron Prince posted:

I found out about this place from the leper's colony. What's up?

Really? How?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I used to go hiking and snow camping and all that stuff

now I spend my weekends reading

one day I will throw a tent in my car and drive into the desert when I'm free of my shackles

until then, I hope my gear doesn't rot from misuse (especially my precious four season tent)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
You can read outside too!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

:agreed: Take your book for a hike!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

so logical!

... a bit ... too ... logical...

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Combine logic and and instinct in the backcountry and you'll become invincible.

Just ask humanity. They've been in charge for so long.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I was tricked by Pokemon and now my dead body is lying in a river.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

In which thread should I complain about spots that I want to hike/bike that are blocked by private property or freeways? I am probably too much of a bad/lazy poster to make a good OP.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 21, 2017

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

In which thread should I complain about spots that I want to hike/bike that are blocked by private property or freeways? I am probably too much of a bad/lazy poster to make a good OP.

Ooh, I would enjoy this. Talking about bandit/poaching/trespassing, and also working within the system to secure access. I would say don't worry about crafting a grand effort post, but up to you. (:justpost:)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm not sure if this counts but I've discovered recently that I really like going for walks and just watching birds around my neighborhood as I do. We've got a lot of mockingbirds and doves and near my apartment is a big birdhouse apartment complex habitat for purple martins, and every single one of the nests is full of lil' baby peepers being adorable :kimchi:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm not sure if this counts but I've discovered recently that I really like going for walks and just watching birds around my neighborhood as I do. We've got a lot of mockingbirds and doves and near my apartment is a big birdhouse apartment complex habitat for purple martins, and every single one of the nests is full of lil' baby peepers being adorable :kimchi:

It does, we've transformed into any and all outdoor pursuits. If you have any pics, post them in the Take a Photo thread!

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
My newcomer is my 2 year old son who loves hiking! He spends most of the hike being a wobbly babbling backpack weight, and the rest of his time is spent excitedly running around gathering rocks/sticks/pinecones and trying to lift big stones :3: It's pretty awesome.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just bought my first tent that cost more than $40 from k-mart, a REI quarter dome, during their rad yearly sale. I put it together in my living room and now can't wait to take it somewhere. New hobby!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

forkbucket posted:

My newcomer is my 2 year old son who loves hiking! He spends most of the hike being a wobbly babbling backpack weight, and the rest of his time is spent excitedly running around gathering rocks/sticks/pinecones and trying to lift big stones :3: It's pretty awesome.

Awww, lookit you being an awesome parent! I wish my parents had turned me on to all this stuff and I didn't have to wait twenty years to discover how awesome the outdoors are

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

OSU_Matthew posted:

Awww, lookit you being an awesome parent! I wish my parents had turned me on to all this stuff and I didn't have to wait twenty years to discover how awesome the outdoors are

I have a friend with a baby and we've taken her out into the mountains several times for fun and photos. There's nothing quite like offroading on trails with a stroller. Totally worth it though. I don't have my own kid so I'm the crazy outdoorsy auntie forcing my wilderness lifestyle on hers.

Get all kids outdoors.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
That is really inappropriate clothing to be hiking in.

:3:

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am completely new to hiking and camping and car camping. I went on my first car-camp last weekend in the desert and didn't die, so :toot:. Here's a collection of things that I've found useful so far:

Backpacking and Gear Megathread
The thread that starts off by saying ignore checklists before providing you with like three pages of checklists

Backpacking Checklist Generator
This checklist generator was a great start to figure out what the gently caress. It definitely over-recommends a ton of junk (lol bearspray in the central california coast), but at least reminded me to pack a bowl. For eating.

Reddit's CampingandHiking Wiki
Reddit is a cesspool but this was a organized place to poke around and find things

How to spend money at REI by REI
Essentially a sales brochure for overpriced unnecessary crap, but at least is worth a read to know what I didn't want.

I'm also going to pick up The Complete Walker IV, because I want to read about outdated camping gear.

Anyway, I hope Cunningham's Law will take effect here.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Rectovagitron posted:

I am completely new to hiking and camping and car camping. I went on my first car-camp last weekend in the desert and didn't die, so :toot:.

Nice! Keep it up if you enjoy it. My favorite hobby by far.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Carcamping in the mountains is what my husband and I do as a Saturday night date. Nothing like beers and smokies around a campfire until dawn to cement your relationship together forever.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hello,

Would this be the best place to start a thread about Scuba diving? I did my PADI Discover Scuba course yesterday and had a blast but can’t seem to find any thread on the forums where I can talk to likeminded goons about it. I could start a thread here but the OP would be piss poor because I am a total novice, just fortunate enough to be good friends with a qualified instructor.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hi.

I've done a lot of stuff outside. I'm an Eagle Scout. More recently, I've done a little bit of (~120 miles in 10 days, so a super-relaxed pace) bikepacking in CO* and lots of shakedown rides in TX, quite a bit of 3 season backpacking, trekking and tourist-tier stuff, lots of bike commuting all over the US in all sorts of different weather except for deep-snow. I did some SCUBA as a teenager with the Boy Scouts back when the YMCA still did SCUBA certification.

Also I like Burning Man and other similarly related events.

I have a nearish-term goal (within about 5 years) to through-hike one of the big N/S trails in the US, like the AT or PCT. My motivation for doing the bikepacking was to see if that would be a more pleasant way to do a big through-hike. I'm still not quite sure what I prefer...

I've recently taken a liking to vegetarian cooking in the back country because meat is a heck of a lot more smellable and generally more compelling to all sorts of critters of all shapes and sizes, so more healthy (protein++) veg recipes for backpacking would be cool and good. Actually, iirc, nonfat dry milk is the only non-vegan thing I did on my last trip, apart from stopping for pizza and beer at almost every town I passed...

So yeah. That's all for now.

*bombing the 8 miles down from Loveland Pass to Keystone was one of the best things I've ever experienced.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I had no idea this sub forum existed.

I grew up back packing in SW Florida. I've done good chunks of the AT mostly around the terminus's, but never thru hiked it. My tastes lean towards old school relatively heavy style of back packing on the cheap. Dry ramen smeared with lard and flavor packet sprinkled on cheap, thicken that with instant mash potatoes cheap.

These days I mostly only get to hike the first 30-45 minutes of any trail I can get to easily in the cascades or east side seattle suburbs, with my four year old.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So like three threads I've tried post in and they've gone archival. Oh well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah we're kind of slow moving here. Feel free to start any thread you want so long as it's generally outdoorsy.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How do you enjoy hiking with your kid? On the one hand I'm sure it limits how much you can do, which maybe is sad. But on the other hand you get to teach them the important things, like which leaves make the best bum wipe. And get to experience the outside through new eyes again.

Not sure it's going to change much at this point, but maybe we should request they increase the time-to-archive in here. I've had the same experience of wanting to post but missed the window.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Epitope posted:

How do you enjoy hiking with your kid? .

Patience, if he wants to stop a talk to a slime mold or throw rocks into a stream we stop a do that. I let him control the pace. Sometimes that means slow, slow, slow. Sometimes it means we a run for two miles.

He's into documentaries and likes fungus, volcanos, and animals. So we try to look at those things. I also try to keep track of time and elevation changes. The goal is to get him tired without having to carry him back.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Hi! I love hiking. I'm also a photographer and carry a Canon AE-1 with me everywhere I go. I'm an amateur hiker who's never been particularly active before but I love being outdoors so hiking just clicks for me. Someday I want to go hike the heart of the AT; I live in the Maritime Plain section of it so there's some really nice hiking to be had out here.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

indyrenegade posted:

Hi! I love hiking. I'm also a photographer and carry a Canon AE-1 with me everywhere I go. I'm an amateur hiker who's never been particularly active before but I love being outdoors so hiking just clicks for me. Someday I want to go hike the heart of the AT; I live in the Maritime Plain section of it so there's some really nice hiking to be had out here.

Nice! If I can recommend two sections of the AT, check out Grayson Highlands, which is widey considered the most beautiful part of the AT, and then Three Ridges Wilderness, which is considered the most difficult section of the AT. Both are in Virginia and they're freaking awesome places!

What's the Maritime Plain section?

E: Visiting cool places is great for photography, I get the coolest shots with just my cellphone while backpacking :D

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 21, 2018

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I came here looking for a thread on trees and appreciation of trees. Found two threads on mushrooms but nothing on trees. Maybe I missed it?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/trees/

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Oh, cool! Oh... oh. :(

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Koth posted:

Oh, cool! Oh... oh. :(

Make a thread here and I’ll post in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Mayday trees are bad for the moose, don't plant them! There's some in the yard we just moved into, we should probably take em out :flame: