Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's progression like atm? I can build a cyclops right now but I still haven't unlocked the moon bay. I feel like I skipped something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

What's progression like atm? I can build a cyclops right now but I still haven't unlocked the moon bay. I feel like I skipped something there.

It's right under your nose. About 300m under the safe shallows.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wait the agree disagree system is supposed to be for flagging posts as abusive? what the gently caress lol

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Who wants to read a massive chain of a guy justifying the way Bonesharks attack the Cyclops because, "Otters have been documented attacking fully grown, adult alligators, using numbers to drive it away from their territory or outright kill them."

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/69jyyn/the_newest_update_makes_you_too_vulnerable_in_a/dh7l9yp/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A single germ can kill an elephant. Makes u think

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Does this thing have more graphics options yet? Last time I tried it out it only had one for the general textures and one for the water.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Okan170 posted:

Who wants to read a massive chain of a guy justifying the way Bonesharks attack the Cyclops because, "Otters have been documented attacking fully grown, adult alligators, using numbers to drive it away from their territory or outright kill them."

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/69jyyn/the_newest_update_makes_you_too_vulnerable_in_a/dh7l9yp/

And marine sea life is also a bunch of morons that cut themselves on boat rotors all the time.

So for full REALISM™ we need to have Bonesharks kill themselves upon the Cyclops engines. TIA.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I found the Lost River. Good poo poo.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Zesty posted:

It was from the crafting timer thing, yeah. One guy was doing that to people so I did it to every post he ever made. It was months ago, whenever that was.

I only found out that a mod messaged me because it sent me an email about it the other day.

Good job bragging about being an obsessive weirdo about this game to the point where third parties notice I guess.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

7c Nickel posted:

Here is a baby man encountering his first reaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJSckfrkDs&t=225s

Normally I think these guys are mugging for the camera, but that was a pretty good reveal. I think that reaction is fully justified. You got the old "Oh it was nothing, AHHHH!" I have been freaked out by Reapers a few times (Spawning behind you) If I was in talking mode when that happened I would have yelled like a little bitch too.

For a Lono's history of underwater scares in games. My first was in Ecco the Dolphin when you swim into Big Blue's chamber. I charged in and scared the everloving poo poo out of myself. That game is still pretty scary. Imagine swimming around Reaper town with this playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyrGIgRC7NE

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I found the Lost River. Good poo poo.

It really is. Probably my favorite zone in the game. What makes it doubly cool is that it's based on a real phenomenon where super dense brine pools form on the ocean floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZD2STt_OU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

emoji posted:

Good job bragging about being an obsessive weirdo about this game to the point where third parties notice I guess.

:shrug: Yeah. I feel a bit embarrassed to have spent time on that but then it tweaked out an rear end in a top hat who values up/down voting on forums. I'm calling it a wash.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
So I did a little testing with the cyclops and sorry if this is already well known stuff but it seems like that at least with bonesharks that whether they attack you or not is entirely based on being in silent running. Like, I was able to gently nudge them around (and also not so gently bump and hurt them) without them becoming aggressive. But the second I moved an inch outside of silent running they started ramming the poo poo out of my submarine. I also learned that if you switch to silent running they will seemingly instantly lose all interest in you. I don't know if other enemies like reapers will be more aggressive but if not then essentially the only thing this really changed is that you gotta go at slower speed anywhere where there are predators and that you gotta repair your hull once in a while which doesn't really make things any more fun or difficult, just more tedious.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Greader posted:

So I did a little testing with the cyclops and sorry if this is already well known stuff but it seems like that at least with bonesharks that whether they attack you or not is entirely based on being in silent running. Like, I was able to gently nudge them around (and also not so gently bump and hurt them) without them becoming aggressive. But the second I moved an inch outside of silent running they started ramming the poo poo out of my submarine. I also learned that if you switch to silent running they will seemingly instantly lose all interest in you. I don't know if other enemies like reapers will be more aggressive but if not then essentially the only thing this really changed is that you gotta go at slower speed anywhere where there are predators and that you gotta repair your hull once in a while which doesn't really make things any more fun or difficult, just more tedious.

So, basically what nearly everybody who has been worried about the implementation being first announced have been saying.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I dunno, I've been playing Subnautica again and finally got the Cyclops back and after a few hours, I think the developers were right about this one. With the old Cyclops I would just motor it right to wherever I wanted to gently caress around and set up shop but now I'm thinking more about how to get where I'm going and what's around me. Silent running is essentially invincibility but if you start cavitating that's like a dinner bell for every rear end in a top hat in the biome to eat your sub. So I can zoom through the kelp forests and plateaus but once things start showing up on sonar I kick it down to silent running and decide how close I want to get to my destination before breaking out in the Seamoth. Taking it to dark and scary places feels scary again, the same way it does when you're puttering around in the Seamoth, but parking it in silent mode still gives the same sense of relief.

I understand that some people want a base they can run around in and park wherever with impunity but for me, the Cyclops changes honestly make using it more interesting just because there are decisions to make and things to pay attention to now. I've spent more time with it post-update than pre- because it feels more like a submarine I have to manage than the magical gamebox it was before. I don't find using it tedious at all, definitely not like having to feed myself every 5 minutes or sift through piles of lead and titanium for some god damned copper.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
how moddable is this game? It's a Unity game so I'm guessing not at all, which is a shame, because being able to mod it would own and then I wouldn't give a poo poo about the cyclops sucking now because I could mod it into being fun.

I recently reinstalled Skyrim after not having touched it for two years. I fondly recall it as one of my favorite games of all time. I started fooling around in a new game and had to go "holy poo poo this game kinda sucks." But then I found my list of mods, reinstalled them, and all was well!

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I did see a related video by that guy doing the LP of Subnautica called " EP: 90 Cyclops is on FIRE!!!" (Or something to that effect) So I guess the game is technically more exciting now.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think Cyclops taking damage would be ok if fish were a bit more dynamic, but apparently trying to take a bite out of a hardened titanium hull just makes them hungry for more.

Now if they ran away after trying to take a chunk out of my giant ball of metal, then I'd feel happier making the repairs because at least I know the area is clear for a while.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think Cyclops taking damage would be ok if fish were a bit more dynamic, but apparently trying to take a bite out of a hardened titanium hull just makes them hungry for more.

Now if they ran away after trying to take a chunk out of my giant ball of metal, then I'd feel happier making the repairs because at least I know the area is clear for a while.

That's kinda how it works though. The fish (and by "fish" we're talking about bone sharks, not biters or stalkers or even sand sharks) only attack the Cyclops when it's making noise. The moment you go silent, they scatter. You have control over how clear the area is... if you want to putter around in silent mode forever you're basically invulnerable unless you drive it down a reaper's gullet. The dynamic is figuring out when you're safe to speed up and when you need to go dark, you never just get attacked randomly or without recourse.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Too Shy Guy posted:

That's kinda how it works though.

That's... not really anything like he described.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

The point is that you "know the area is clear for a while" because you have control over that. Attacks are entirely dynamic, just based on how much sound you're making instead of... what your boat is made of, I guess?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

"It's the same Cyclops, and if you want it to be invulnerable like before you just have to go a lot slower! It's awesome!!!" -No one

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So what you're saying is that you might as well just slowly run it in silent mode which makes the game tedious and not at all worth it? Shocking

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I mean, silent mode would be fine and cool if there were more than like four predators with a straight aggro radius ai.... like, I know they are all about immersion and "crafting beautiful creatures" but they really need to sit down and do a gameplay pass to make the survival side of having a giant fuckoff sub and multiple bases more fun and varied. Like, poo poo, make some giant scary rare leviathans patrol the deeps and actually chase you, so you're forced to balance shark aggro with being swallowed whole. Make one of those floating islands try to gently caress your base or something. Just literally anything to increase replayability and make the player think tactically.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dylguy90 posted:

I mean, silent mode would be fine and cool if there were more than like four predators with a straight aggro radius ai.... like, I know they are all about immersion and "crafting beautiful creatures" but they really need to sit down and do a gameplay pass to make the survival side of having a giant fuckoff sub and multiple bases more fun and varied. Like, poo poo, make some giant scary rare leviathans patrol the deeps and actually chase you, so you're forced to balance shark aggro with being swallowed whole. Make one of those floating islands try to gently caress your base or something. Just literally anything to increase replayability and make the player think tactically.

Yeah but that takes more effort. It's easier to just make things take longer, and the average "Survival gamer" has a bar set so low you need to dig a trench for it when it comes to what they consider a Realistic Immersive Challenge.

Remember, this particular game is the player base that asks the devs to implement realtime sitting around in decompression chambers on the regular. As well as unironically defending when beds only made you stare up at the ceiling as "Realistic, stop being an impatient baby wanting the game handed to you on a silver platter" to those asking why it didn't just let you timeskip sleep yet.

Which makes it little wonder that if QoL is involved, it's a sure bet how that sort of person will hate it. See also, the constant even now demands to nerf lanternfruits. Even though they are objectively worse in every single way than your other EZ infinute food and water options, the fact you get to skip some UI clicks makes them fly into a real tizzy.

Meanwhile your infinite supply of portable fish based food and water that only take up 1 tile each along with being stronger than any plants is "Hardcore planning ahead, I'm so smart". Then they go back to bragging that they fuel their bioreactor with plants, when all that means is they have to refill it several times more often than even a couple peepers.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 8, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Cyclops is certainly annoying to pilot around in areas that has bonesharks but I've still found it incredibly helpful when exploring. I've mostly used it for the Grand Gorge and the Lost River where I take it into an access area and drop the rest of the way with the prawn suit.

Incidently, the prawn suit is goddamn amazing. The battery lasts forever and it's easy to get around deep areas with the grappling arm.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Last time I tried the prawn suit (when it first came out) the grappling hook was pretty bad. Useful for quickly navigating on horizontal terrain (jump, then aim and fire at the ground ~50 ft away), but frustrating as gently caress and nearly useless for vertical movement such as climbing out of deep caverns.

It would be cool if you could have two of them attached so you could navigate like spiderman, but I don't think the devs are that imaginative.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Did they remove that then?

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDs5eJ8bUc

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I had no trouble using the prawn suit to get out of pits in the deep lava zone. Even with just one grapple.

Aim high, pull yourself up, use your thrust, repeat.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Too Shy Guy posted:

I dunno, I've been playing Subnautica again and finally got the Cyclops back and after a few hours, I think the developers were right about this one. With the old Cyclops I would just motor it right to wherever I wanted to gently caress around and set up shop but now I'm thinking more about how to get where I'm going and what's around me. Silent running is essentially invincibility but if you start cavitating that's like a dinner bell for every rear end in a top hat in the biome to eat your sub. So I can zoom through the kelp forests and plateaus but once things start showing up on sonar I kick it down to silent running and decide how close I want to get to my destination before breaking out in the Seamoth. Taking it to dark and scary places feels scary again, the same way it does when you're puttering around in the Seamoth, but parking it in silent mode still gives the same sense of relief.

I really like the changes too. The extra sneaky bits are fun. I just really wish they focused a bit more on bug fixing and reducing the sound of that annoying voice about your sub being damaged. Although I really wish they added in some upgrade that allows you to slowly heal damage over time. It seems like that could be a thing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Grapple is effing amazing and the only reason you shouldn't use it is because you want to drill something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I cannot imagine using the cyclops in a slower gear than it was already lodged in before the patch, drat thing is painfully slow as is.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure they've done it in part to hide how horizontally small the map is. You can cross the map from one "void" edge to the other in a few minutes using the seamoth (Delays from pop in or bonesharks/reapers not withstanding) and even in the slow cyclops it didn't take particularly long.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Carcer posted:

I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure they've done it in part to hide how horizontally small the map is. You can cross the map from one "void" edge to the other in a few minutes using the seamoth (Delays from pop in or bonesharks/reapers not withstanding) and even in the slow cyclops it didn't take particularly long.

one weird trick to make your map bigger

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

enraged_camel posted:

one weird trick to make your map bigger

Kind of the opposite of how Morrowind does it. Vvardenfell isn't very big but because you are always being herded around by cliffs and mountains and such it feels much bigger. Subnautica's map is pretty tall, or feels that way, but surface travel from A to B can always be in a straight line.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xibanya posted:

how moddable is this game? It's a Unity game so I'm guessing not at all, which is a shame, because being able to mod it would own and then I wouldn't give a poo poo about the cyclops sucking now because I could mod it into being fun.

I recently reinstalled Skyrim after not having touched it for two years. I fondly recall it as one of my favorite games of all time. I started fooling around in a new game and had to go "holy poo poo this game kinda sucks." But then I found my list of mods, reinstalled them, and all was well!

Shouldn't unity games be super moddable, seeing how you can just decompile the mono part (which is everything related to game mechanics) and then inject your own mono dlls and then do whatever you want?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Truga posted:

Shouldn't unity games be super moddable, seeing how you can just decompile the mono part (which is everything related to game mechanics) and then inject your own mono dlls and then do whatever you want?

:aaa: you can do that?

brb attempting to mod subnautica

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Subnautica modding : Let's put some boobs on that Reaper

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xibanya posted:

:aaa: you can do that?

brb attempting to mod subnautica

You can start at https://www.jetbrains.com/decompiler/

However, they may have ran an obfuscator over their source code before building, which will make things super lovely to figure out. Minecraft also does this with their java, but minecraft is popular enough people just de-obfuscated the code manually pretty early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
KSP is one of the most modded games and is Unity and there are guides on their forum.