Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm glad that Margaret Atwood wrote The Handmaid's Tale, not forums poster whalesteak

Remember that some people need to have a careful analysis and overview of how every event in a show came to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Agentdark posted:

Remember that some people need to have a careful analysis and overview of how every event in a show came to happen.

Yeah I've seen Wookiepedia

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah I've seen Wookiepedia

I was thinking of the people who insisted the Varys needed to be on a boat in every episode to show properly where he was going.

But yeah, Wookiepedia.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
This is basically a Black Mirror episode stretched in a full season. Lots of unnecessary filler here, especially in the hat department.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's not. The book is set only a handful of years after the revolution, and the "middle period" of cyclical purges and internal power struggles begins soon afterwards. The book's epilogue is

Can everyone that read the books put things in the books that haven't been covered in the show in spoilers please? Randomly posting the book's epilogue unspoiled is ridiculous. I understand people that read the book are trying to be helpful by giving some context but I would really prefer potential spoilers from the book not be left unspoiled. Isn't that the basic policy with game of thrones threads?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 6, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

This is basically a Black Mirror episode stretched in a full season. Lots of unnecessary filler here, especially in the hat department.

The wrongest of wrongthink. Send this one to the Colonies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spacebump posted:

Can everyone that read the books put things in the books that haven't been covered in the show in spoilers please? Randomly posting the book's epilogue unspoiled is ridiculous. I understand people that read the book are trying to be helpful by giving some context but I would really prefer potential spoilers from the book not be left unspoiled. Isn't that the basic policy with game of thrones threads?

the book is literally as old as i am so nah. you also should've read it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's dumb. Not everyone is going to have read it just because it's been around.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, illiterate people are everywhere.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You'd think someone asking not to have something spoiled would be enough to warrant the courtesy of taking 2 seconds to add spoiler tags in the future. Seems like less effort than arguing about what is and isn't spoiler worthy tbh but here we are again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah it's an important book and i would assume anyone interested in the show would have read it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah it's an important book and i would assume anyone interested in the show would have read it.

That's a very inaccurate assumption to make.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I've read the book... but only relatively recently. Because I'm not from the U.S and we don't get assigned this book in school and it isn't commonly talked about (I've never seen it on shelves, I randomly came across the kindle version and read it on a whim). If the show had come out a year earlier I would have appreciated spoiler tags.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Most people I know watching this have not read the book. Not everyone reads the same books. I don't understand why it's a big issue to type the spoiler tags.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 7, 2017

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Hate to dogpile but, uh, yeah. What the poo poo? Is this a joke?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I only even knew the book existed from it being on my parent's bookshelf, and hearing its title come up occasionally when people talk about dystopian fiction. I had no idea it had been adapted into films until reading the op of this thread. I knew that it was considered somewhat important, but I'd only read like a chapter or two of it. It was published 2 years before I was born. I've read probably more than the average person, but wouldn't consider myself an avid reader.

That idea that the average television viewer has a read a 30+ year old book because they watch a tv show is... unrealistic.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If everyone in this thread was Canadian it would be believable that most read the book because it was part of the school curriculum up here, at least in some school boards. In the American system they read... Coloring books? Religious tracts? Help me out here

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

If everyone in this thread was Canadian it would be believable that most read the book because it was part of the school curriculum up here, at least in some school boards. In the American system they read... Coloring books? Religious tracts? Help me out here

Off the top of my head some books and plays I was assigned in high school include To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies, The Scarlet Letter, Hamlet, The Illustrated Man, Fahrenheit 451, Death of a Salesman, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Heart of Darkness, The Crucible, The Odyssey, The Confessions of St. Augustine, Hedda Gabler, A Doll's House,The Canterbury Tales, The Old Man and the Sea, Great Expectations, and A Tale of Two Cities.

My high school did not assign 1984 which I found ridiculous and read on my own time.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 7, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I once no-poo poo got shrieked at for spoiling the then-upcoming Beowulf movie for someone by mentioning something from the thousand-year-old epic poem. I am kinda with you on "spoiler" hand-wringing, but people are very passionate about it so it's probably a bad hill to die on.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 7, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

More than anything if someone says "hey haven't read it yet can you spoiler that stuff?" maybe just have the common courtesy to do it instead of arguing why you should have the high ground in ruining the ending. It's called not being a dickhead and it's not that hard.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

precision posted:

Yeah that was great. Elizabeth Moss is a big indie rock fan so I'm thinking that was her choice.

The music is easily the weakest part of the show, the ending for Ep3 would have been better silent

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Professor Shark posted:

The music is easily the weakest part of the show, the ending for Ep3 would have been better silent

yeah it was a big misstep imo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really liked it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I didn't mind the end music but my opinion may shift depending on the tone of the next few episodes.

It does seem oddly triumphant given her (only slightly altered) circumstances but if this marks the beginning of her revolt against the system, then it's perfectly fine. But if it's just continuing misery without progression towards her liberation, then the music choice stands out a bit more as an outlier.

I will say the needle scratch at the end of episode 2 is a better way to use discordant music.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

This is a good show. Just watched the 4 eps that have aired. I'm really liking it so far. I see you guys have been warring over reading the book. This is a book I've always meant to read but just never got around to it.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

This show owns.

God drat some of you watch TV entirely the wrong way.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Better never means better for everyone, it always means worse for some."

holy poo poo

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Kanine posted:

holy poo poo

That was brutal. It hit her like a ton of bricks

The new episode is very, um...sexy??

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This episode had the biggest diversions from the book yet, and now I can see how they're going with at least one more season. They've been careful to set things up to be ambiguous; it was pretty obvious that Nick was an Eye, but I think it's fairly likely he's a double agent for Mayday. And now they're even laying it out that Mrs. Waterhouse could end up more on the side of the rebels.

Having The Commander turn out to be a nihilistic pragmatist was also pretty interesting. He seems to know that only a tiny number of women prefer their lives now ("it's better than getting hosed behind a dumpster" is not a ringing endorsement) but doesn't seem to be in a position to act on that. I hope that soon they go into what his actual role in the government is.

e: oh yeah and it was a really touching moment to see that Offglen's new mistress is completely sympathetic to her and seems to genuinely care about her

precision fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 11, 2017

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its cool how mike pence and most mras would be totally cool with the society in this show

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kanine posted:

its cool how mike pence and most mras would be totally cool with the society in this show

It's really just a matter of time before there's an amazing "Why Everyone Is Wrong About Handmaid's Tale" thinkpiece.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

That was the most tense sex scene I have ever seen and not in a sexy way. It was just really intense. I think it was because of the music because I kept expecting someone to burst in with guns.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 11, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are you referring to the one with Nick or the one with the Commander? Either way, I agree.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

precision posted:

Are you referring to the one with Nick or the one with the Commander? Either way, I agree.

The one with Nick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The moment when they both started enjoying it, I was sure Mrs. Waterhouse was going to flip out and try to kill one or both of them.

edit: and this post could refer to either scene as well, actually

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kanine posted:

holy poo poo

Should be the thread title.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

McSpanky posted:

It's really just a matter of time before there's an amazing "Why Everyone Is Wrong About Handmaid's Tale" thinkpiece.

Yeah. It's pretty clever how they're running a cross-promotion by having the prequel series up at the same time on C-Span.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Are we supposed to know what happened to Ofglen? Or is that something that is going to be explained later. Because right now I'm going under the assumption it has to do with female circumcision.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

phosdex posted:

Are we supposed to know what happened to Ofglen? Or is that something that is going to be explained later. Because right now I'm going under the assumption it has to do with female circumcision.

Yep. She underwent female genital mutilation. I call it mutilation because men who get circumcized can still, with some exceptions, live a healthy life. FGM is primarily meant to turn women into brood mares who cannot enjoy sex again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was that guy she ran over a man or a watermelon?

• Locked thread