Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least No Tomorrow had some closure. Evie decided to finally live for herself and Xavier's theory was vindicated (with the idea that he would head up an organization dedicated to stopping the asteroid.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BSam posted:

I'm not sure what this means but it seems untrue.

It means they overloaded their schedule with superhero shows and they're all garbage now.

and before you offer your opinion, I don't really care about your opinion on superhero shows

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Has Riverdale gotten super crazy yet? The pilot was pretty good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

raditts posted:

It means they overloaded their schedule with superhero shows and they're all garbage now.

and before you offer your opinion, I don't really care about your opinion on superhero shows

that's ok, likewise i don't care about yours, you obviously don't watch them

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

precision posted:

Yup. I enjoy it very much.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

It's really bad, but not in a bad way.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

precision posted:

There have been revelations of multi-generational blood feuds based around maple syrup farming, all played with deadly seriousness. Skeet Ulrich has been recurring as Jughead's dad, the leader of the town biker gang.

It's a great bad show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Just need Dead Zone and Monk.

We're currently living in that last season of Dead Zone they teased at the end.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

JethroMcB posted:

There have been revelations of multi-generational blood feuds based around maple syrup farming, all played with deadly seriousness. Skeet Ulrich has been recurring as Jughead's dad, the leader of the town biker gang.

It's a great bad show.

And the showrunner's been implying--and there is evidence to suggest--that the season finale will introduce the supernatural as being a legitimate part of that world. I'm gonna be mega disappointed if that's not the case, considering the showrunner is the guy who writes the excellent horror title "Afterlife With Archie".

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So uh, in case anyone didn't already know. The Leftovers is awesome and everyone should watch it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'll watch Riverdale as soon as they have Punisher and Predator crossovers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm watching Handmaid's Tale and don't really understand why people are saying it's crushing and leaving them speechless by episode 3. Have people never seen TV beyond American Idol or some dumb show before? I'm not austistic but it doesn't seem that bad. I mean, in Hannibal a dude was eating people and he forced people to eat their own legs.

It must be the same people being shocked by the torture scenes in Zero Dark Thirty. Jack Bauer has done way worse since season 1!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hannibal did nothing wrong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not autistic

I mean, are you sure?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching Handmaid's Tale and don't really understand why people are saying it's crushing and leaving them speechless by episode 3. Have people never seen TV beyond American Idol or some dumb show before? I'm not austistic but it doesn't seem that bad. I mean, in Hannibal a dude was eating people and he forced people to eat their own legs.

It must be the same people being shocked by the torture scenes in Zero Dark Thirty. Jack Bauer has done way worse since season 1!

Like, if you don't understand why people are unnerved by the complete subjugation of an entire gender then I don't know, man.

The female circumcision Ofglen got at the end of episode 3 is poo poo that is happening right now in the world. Femicide is a super real problem, too. Gay people are being locked up as gender traitors in Chechnya. It's not hard to imagine a western government sliding into a theocratic nightmareland enforcing things that're happening around the world right now.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

How do you not see the difference between these things?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looten Plunder posted:

How do you not see the difference between these things?

Both aren't real. Zdt isn't some objective documentary, it is a screen play with actors. I don't get angry over fiction.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vanderdeath posted:

Like, if you don't understand why people are unnerved by the complete subjugation of an entire gender then I don't know, man.

I didn't say i felt nothing. Its powerful and dramatic. But i read people saying they had to go to bed and couldn't talk to their husband until the morning or something. Like, grow up.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Both aren't real. Zdt isn't some objective documentary, it is a screen play with actors. I don't get angry over fiction.

OK so you don't see the difference.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't say i felt nothing. Its powerful and dramatic. But i read people saying they had to go to bed and couldn't talk to their husband until the morning or something. Like, grow up.

For a lot of people, this is the first time they've seen a drama tackle something like this no holds barred. Couple that with the fact that, again, some of the things happening in this show are happening in real life right now is what has people unnerved.

Also, my dude, if you don't understand that some people are empathetic towards characters in various media at this point in your life then come on, man.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Also think about the context and worldbuilding that goes on around the events in the shows that your talking about.

They also have totally different emotional tones and are played for completely different reactions.

It's loving stupid to say "The American History X Curbstomp doesn't affect me because grosser poo poo than that happens all the time in the latest SAW movie" but that's pretty much what your saying.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching Handmaid's Tale and don't really understand why people are saying it's crushing and leaving them speechless by episode 3. Have people never seen TV beyond American Idol or some dumb show before? I'm not austistic but it doesn't seem that bad.

Do me a favor? Don't do this. I know where we are and I promise I have a sense of humor about my own struggles with autism. But the whole "beep boop we run on logic not emotions" thing is a stereotype we're trying to overcome; it's complicated because it's rooted in some truth, but to see it dropped so casually and without cause like this is kind of hurtful.

precision posted:

I mean, are you sure?

Same probably goes for you, but if I'm being honest, I laughed. Like I said: Complicated.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't feel the need to dogpile you over this and I'm not even going to deny that my reaction to it isn't entirely dissimilar to yours but I will say that this is a diverse-ish group and we're all of different ages, experiences, genders, and so forth and so on. So let's say that at a minimum it might hit closer to home for some. Especially if they weren't familiar with the source material at all.

Kind of like how I'm not going to pick Jessica Jones as a hill to die on because while I thought it wasn't very good a lot of people here felt pretty strongly about it for reasons I can understand.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 9, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Like, grow up.

:ironicat:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Same probably goes for you, but if I'm being honest, I laughed. Like I said: Complicated.

Yeah - my wife has NVLD which manifests in a very similar way to some forms of autism. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. :shobon:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

Yeah - my wife has NVLD which manifests in a very similar way to some forms of autism. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. :shobon:

No worries! It was meant a gentle heads up, not a tirade.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ed: whatever

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 9, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: never mind

precision fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 9, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wouldn't say people need to grow up but it'd surprise me if those who watch the Handmaid's Tale aren't those also watching the high-brow grimdark stuff on TV. And this show's brutality is not anywhere as in-the-face or visceral by comparison. The intense reactions the other guy noticed surprised me too for this reason. Modern TV kinda numbs you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For me there's a pretty big difference in emotional impact in seeing institutionalized dehumanization versus seeing extreme actions which are extreme in context.

Gore and violence itself isn't what affects me. It's the emotional context of an action.

Like the stabbing scene in Saving Private Ryan is significantly less gory than basically any stabbing in a horror film, but it's much more emotionally impactful because of context.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DivisionPost posted:

Do me a favor? Don't do this. I know where we are and I promise I have a sense of humor about my own struggles with autism. But the whole "beep boop we run on logic not emotions" thing is a stereotype we're trying to overcome; it's complicated because it's rooted in some truth, but to see it dropped so casually and without cause like this is kind of hurtful.

Yeah I admit I'm ignorant on this stuff so sorry about that.

It's still stupid to get that upset over a drat drama. The stabbing scene in Saving Private Ryan is indeed one of the most horrific deaths I can remember but I'm not going to break down into tears and become a mess over it. Nobody was stabbed, it's an actor that gets to go home to his multimillion dollar mansion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"I'm sorry, but also I'm going to further reiterate that I have no idea why people are upset with what I'm saying."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DP got upset because I used autism as an insult. I won't do that anymore.

Watch more "grimdark" shows and you can be dead inside like me!

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 9, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

DP got upset because I used autism as an insult. I won't do that anymore.

Sorry, I misread that.

Still, people react to things in different ways. It's not a weird thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's still stupid to get that upset over a drat drama. The stabbing scene in Saving Private Ryan is indeed one of the most horrific deaths I can remember but I'm not going to break down into tears and become a mess over it. Nobody was stabbed, it's an actor that gets to go home to his multimillion dollar mansion.

Do you let the cigarette hang off your lips when you lean against the wall or give it a quick drag and flick after saying this? I want to make sure I got my "too cool for human empathy" affect down right.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

just stop, man

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ze stabbing scene. She bores me. I feel only ennui.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ze stabbing scene. She bores me. I feel only ennui.

We all knew how the D Day scene in Saving Private Ryan was going to turn out anyway *yawn* why even bother?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In summary: Handmaid's Tale is good but it ain't that good.

McSpanky posted:

Do you let the cigarette hang off your lips when you lean against the wall or give it a quick drag and flick after saying this? I want to make sure I got my "too cool for human empathy" affect down right.

I actually think it's a really effective scene and makes me think about war. But I didn't have a nervous breakdown over it so I guess I'm dumb.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reactions to the supposed horrifying and upsetting nature of Handmaid's Tale HAVE been a bit over the top, though.

• Locked thread