Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

Seriously though there's no way they will, even Game of Thrones doesn't show erect dong.
And that's what we call upping the ante. Seems like Lucy's tits are about the only thing we're not gonna get to see in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Told you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

And that's what we call upping the ante. Seems like Lucy's tits are about the only thing we're not gonna get to see in this show.

Well then Fuller lied, per the interview I posted earlier he said all the dicks were CGI or dildos.

I demand only legitimate dicks! :j:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

DentD posted:

This was from the other thread but I didn't want to discuss Gaiman over there anyway yes, I agree with that. But also I feel like Gaiman has a small preoccupation with dicks and piss. I swear I've read more passages mentioning either dicks or piss or both in his writing than anyone else's.

Thanks to you, I can't stop loving noticing all the piss mentions in Fragile Things, which I started rereading earlier today. There's A Lot.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So apparently an old friend of mine was on the makeup/prosthetics team for this. I am so incredibly jealous.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Just caught the newest episode. I have to watch my episodes delayed for reasons (which I won't talk about). Man alive am I loving this. Also, so much drat research and detail just even in the backgrounds. Fuller definitely did not lose his touch after Hannibal in that regard. Like, how many modern Americans even know who Chernabog and the Zorya are, yet you see very accurate small details like The framed image of the Ursa constellation on the wall that line right up with their mythology. Also holy crap the foreshadowing (no pun intended...this time) in this show. In Norse Mythology, when Baldur died, the gnomes were sad and came to Odin, for Baldur's smile was so bright and warm, that even those underground felt his sunshine. So Odin, feeling sorry for them, gave them what he called Baldur's smile, and they returned home. After a while they felt selfish keeping it to themselves, and let parts of it sail on the winds to everyone. In case you hadn't realized it yet, "Baldur's Smile/Sunshine" were dandelions, which Wednesday blows away wistfully as they leave Shadow's house, after he advises him to keep his emotions inside, as it'd be healthier.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

^^^^That's super cool.

Having watched the episode a second time, I realized the scenes inside Bilquis' womb sort of reminded me of Sandman art. The arm busting out of frame in the first ep did too, come to think of it, though I may be reaching.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

Having watched the episode a second time, I realized the scenes inside Bilquis' womb sort of reminded me of Sandman art.

Oh for sure, to the point where I'm positive it was intentional. It's neat that Fuller is pulling stylistically from Gaiman's entire ouevre.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Lemon posted:

In the book Laura saved Shadow from the Agency, not the Technical Boy's goons. But I can't think of anyone else who it would have been in this.

Given the Media scene that's pretty obvious by this point. Although that was one part of the episode I thought they screwed the pooch, the scene with Media makes zero sense without the context of why they may think Shadow is important. If they knew what happened when he was lynched then they know it wasn't Shadow and if they don't know then all they have to work on is he managed to survive a lynching.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Managed to survive a lancing by making technical boys goons explode into a bloody pile. That's how I read it anyway. They think he did something beyond what a mortal should be capable of, and they know he's of special interest to Wednesday, so they assume he's important even if hey don't know he's Balder.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nessin posted:

Given the Media scene that's pretty obvious by this point. Although that was one part of the episode I thought they screwed the pooch, the scene with Media makes zero sense without the context of why they may think Shadow is important. If they knew what happened when he was lynched then they know it wasn't Shadow and if they don't know then all they have to work on is he managed to survive a lynching.

They know (or think they know) he murdered a poo poo-ton of Techno Boys goons when nobody expected him to survive. It makes plenty sense.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Having read ASoIaF and Harry Potter really hurt my experiece watching those shows; 'knowing' felt like a burden. I don't know, actually, if the Harry Potter movies are just bad, or if having read the books took away all the magic, so to say. I'm guessing both. Game of Thrones, it was hard to appreciate anything but the most impressive scenes, just knowing what's going to happen - and now with the later seasons that are not true to the book which just haven't been as good, I've never been able to really enjoy that show like I think I should.

How I feel about this show isn't hurt by me reading the book though, and that really excites me. I guess it's just that there's so much abstract imagery in the the book? You can go so many places, and they're really doing impressive work. I'm eager to see more, which is a rare feeling for a show where I already know what's going to happen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Lavender posted:

Having read ASoIaF and Harry Potter really hurt my experiece watching those shows; 'knowing' felt like a burden. I don't know, actually, if the Harry Potter movies are just bad, or if having read the books took away all the magic, so to say. I'm guessing both. Game of Thrones, it was hard to appreciate anything but the most impressive scenes, just knowing what's going to happen - and now with the later seasons that are not true to the book which just haven't been as good, I've never been able to really enjoy that show like I think I should.

How I feel about this show isn't hurt by me reading the book though, and that really excites me. I guess it's just that there's so much abstract imagery in the the book? You can go so many places, and they're really doing impressive work. I'm eager to see more, which is a rare feeling for a show where I already know what's going to happen.

I think part of what helps is, there was that article awhile back where the show heads were saying they don't even care about spoilers because its not about the plot as much as the delivery and the imagery and the impact of the themes. I think that philosophy really helps when you're translating a book, yeah. I get the same feeling.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When Shadow is visited by memories of his wife while he cleans his house, I could swear the music was channeling Blade Runner

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Lemon posted:

In the book Laura saved Shadow from the Agency, not the Technical Boy's goons. But I can't think of anyone else who it would have been in this.

Sweeney killed the lynch mob. I don't know it's going to fit in the story- if anything, Laura would make a lot more sense.

But there's a quick shot in Trailer 2 of Sweeney swinging a machete in the rain at night, cleaving a technical boy goon in half.

Edit- Actually, maybe I'm wrong. It's at 0:26:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbPdUEQanAo

Sweeney swings something at night (but no rain?), and then a technical goon being cleaved in half, with rain.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 9, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Captain Lavender posted:

Hannibal was like that too, even though it was only the last 1/6th of the show that directly adapted source material. But Fuller knows how to adapt things right.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

nessin posted:

The scene with Media makes zero sense without the context of why they may think Shadow is important.

The way I'm reading this is that the Kid is loving with him because the Kid's a bully and a coward who'd rather go up against his enemies' lackeys than his actual enemies, and Media thinks she can get to Wednesday by turning his minions against him.

Both of them are kind of demonstrating by this that they might be powerful, but they're also locked into patterns of behaviour, just like the old gods. Media doesn't think there's anyone she can't make love her, and the Kid can't resist the opportunity to show off how much better and smarter and more powerful he is, even when all it achieves is tipping his hand early.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I haven't had a chance to really watch the show yet, but I hope we get to see Czernobog's "gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you and the loving horse you rode the gently caress in on. You will die a woman's death" stuff at the Technical Boy at the hunter's motel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm the only one who thought it a bit strange that Wednesday was meeting with the Ifrit? A nod to book readers to let us know "that scene" is coming, or have they decided to make him into an actual part of the main plot?

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Whybird posted:

The way I'm reading this is that the Kid is loving with him because the Kid's a bully and a coward who'd rather go up against his enemies' lackeys than his actual enemies, and Media thinks she can get to Wednesday by turning his minions against him.

Both of them are kind of demonstrating by this that they might be powerful, but they're also locked into patterns of behaviour, just like the old gods. Media doesn't think there's anyone she can't make love her, and the Kid can't resist the opportunity to show off how much better and smarter and more powerful he is, even when all it achieves is tipping his hand early.

Also, it looks like Media thought Shadow took Technical Boy's goons out by himself, which is quite impressive for a mortal.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

precision posted:

I'm the only one who thought it a bit strange that Wednesday was meeting with the Ifrit? A nod to book readers to let us know "that scene" is coming, or have they decided to make him into an actual part of the main plot?

I believe the Djinn has a multi-episode arc this season, fleshing out his vignette like they have Biliquis'.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Avasculous posted:

Sweeney killed the lynch mob. I don't know it's going to fit in the story- if anything, Laura would make a lot more sense.

But there's a quick shot in Trailer 2 of Sweeney swinging a machete in the rain at night, cleaving a technical boy goon in half.

Edit- Actually, maybe I'm wrong. It's at 0:26:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbPdUEQanAo

Sweeney swings something at night (but no rain?), and then a technical goon being cleaved in half, with rain.

I don't think it was Sweeney. That's just a trailer, the clips they cut together don't have to actually follow the plot. And as you said there was no rain. If it was Sweeney, why hide it?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It could also be Loki/Mr. World. Because the Technical Boy is loving his plan up by letting the children lynch Shadow.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Get John Hannah in this show as a Roman god. I don't care if there aren't any in the book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It could also be Loki/Mr. World. Because the Technical Boy is loving his plan up by letting the children lynch Shadow.

Yeah, Mr. World is definitely possible since they need to bring him in to the story sooner. At the pace the show is going, we wouldn't see Mr. World until season 3 without them moving the pieces around like they have been.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

precision posted:

They definitely plan on expanding the roles of all the gods/demigods, which is great because otherwise there'd be a 2-3 episode arc of Shadow hanging out by himself in a small town while the gods did a bunch of awesome poo poo off-screen.

Choco1980 posted:

Hannibal was like that too, even though it was only the last 1/6th of the show that directly adapted source material. But Fuller knows how to adapt things right.

I've been wondering about this - 5-6 episodes in, there was a Hannibal episode that took the book canon of how Hannibal Lecter got caught and how he escaped, and blatantly gave it all away to other characters, in order to show book readers that the show was diverging from the canon enough that they couldn't expect to know what was going to happen next. If they pull the same thing in American Gods I will personally be thrilled but I could see it turning a lot of people off, too. (But it's clear that this show isn't going for universal appeal anyway!)

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

Shadow hanging out by himself in a small town

Think I heard that they are basically planning on making that season 2

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

hangedman1984 posted:

Think I heard that they are basically planning on making that season 2

That's fine by me but I assume/hope that they'll be cutting between that and the gods.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kinda hope not cause I feel like Shadow on his own, with no idea what the gods are up to, is a central element of the book's pacing, but I can see how it's easier to pull off in a book where you don't have to justify having Ian McShane in the credits.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Klungar posted:

I believe the Djinn has a multi-episode arc this season, fleshing out his vignette like they have Biliquis'.

When did that happen? I may have been drunk last night watching E2, but our friend Mr. Firecock lives in NYC yeah?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When did that happen? I may have been drunk last night watching E2, but our friend Mr. Firecock lives in NYC yeah?

You see him in the diner for just a moment, he's the one Wednesday was meeting with. His sunglasses flash flames when Shadow passes by him

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yes, Gaiman and Fuller said as much about his story line.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I didn't realize it was the Djinn til the credits either. There's been several names that haven't been said out loud yet the credits fully spell it out. I don't think Low-Key was actually ever verbally named, for instance.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

I don't think Low-Key was actually ever verbally named, for instance.

He wasn't. The only thing that's actually been shown is that he was in prison with Shadow - I don't think he's even been confirmed as Shadow's cellmate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having anyone say "Low-Key" out loud wouldn't really work because you can't really pronounce it any differently to "Loki" and you lose even the tiny number of people for whom that was actually a reveal instead of shamelessly obvious.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

precision posted:

Having anyone say "Low-Key" out loud wouldn't really work because you can't really pronounce it any differently to "Loki" and you lose even the tiny number of people for whom that was actually a reveal instead of shamelessly obvious.

Yeah, that "reveal" was painfully obvious even before Loki became a villain in an enormous movie franchise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

Season 1 ENDS at the house on the rock, so basically nothing is going to happen. So they're going to be massively expanding the roles of the characters to fill that space, which should be interesting even as book readers who have the main plot spoiled.

Also they're trying to work a few more female characters into the main plot, so people like Bilquis are being built up more and more and then are going to show up likely at the House.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, that "reveal" was painfully obvious even before Loki became a villain in an enormous movie franchise.

Lets not argue this poo poo in both threads the whole loving show. Some people got it and some people didn't, and if you like huffing your own farts leave the rest of us out of it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Expanding the side characters will make a better show than adapting the book directly imo, I have a feeling the show will be remembered more fondly than the books

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I mean, realizing how dumb you are about Loki in the book is a plot point, since even Shadow smacks his head when he makes the connection.

I think at the time that book came out, you were less likely to recognize Loki's name than you are now, given his prevalence in the Marvel universe. It's smarter for them to not mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm already enjoying the show more than the book. If it keeps it up I'm sure that will be the case for me.

Edit: and speaking about Loki, at the time I read the book I had basically no knowledge of Norse mythology so it was sort of a moot point, but even if I did in my language "Loki" is pronounced as "Lucky" so I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 9, 2017

• Locked thread