Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I liked the new Ride Along (the callback to the first episode was great) but man the next one looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I watched the JBL interview with Jimmy Hart and Jimmy seems like the nicest most gracious guy there is. Everything is a blessing and everyone is amazing in his eyes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

when's Breaking Ground S2

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

I'm going to be laid up after surgery for a couple of weeks, so I want to binge something from the Vault on the Network. Any recommendations for older stuff that spans lots of episodes? I'm literally happy to watch a whole year of Mid South or something, as long as I don't have to move.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
WWE offering me three free months of access? Desperate, or just confident that I'll forget to cancel my subscription again... either way, clicky clicky.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basic Chunnel posted:

when's Breaking Ground S2

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

WWE offering me three free months of access? Desperate, or just confident that I'll forget to cancel my subscription again... either way, clicky clicky.

Same. Grabbed the deal and immediately unsubbed. Guess I'll binge watch all those Talking Smacks I've missed lately

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

They got me last time with forgetting to cancel on the three month.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I like that when they were listing all the great PPVs I'd get to see for free in the coming months, they did not list "Great Balls of Fire" among them.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Genericide posted:

I'm going to be laid up after surgery for a couple of weeks, so I want to binge something from the Vault on the Network. Any recommendations for older stuff that spans lots of episodes? I'm literally happy to watch a whole year of Mid South or something, as long as I don't have to move.

ECW Hardcore TV 1995

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Marmaduke! posted:

I like that when they were listing all the great PPVs I'd get to see for free in the coming months, they did not list "Great Balls of Fire" among them.

Did for me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So hey is anybody else having this issue? When you open something on the Network, there's these checkpoints at the start and finish of each match - they're great and can make navigating a 3 hour PPV really easy.

Problem is, recently, they've stopped displaying the text for me. You can kinda still guess what the match is from looking at the guys in the thumbnail, but that doesn't always work. Is this happening to anybody else?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

VJeff posted:

So hey is anybody else having this issue? When you open something on the Network, there's these checkpoints at the start and finish of each match - they're great and can make navigating a 3 hour PPV really easy.

Problem is, recently, they've stopped displaying the text for me. You can kinda still guess what the match is from looking at the guys in the thumbnail, but that doesn't always work. Is this happening to anybody else?

Same here.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

People got lovely about the text spoiling matches so I assume they just turned off all the text.

It's entirely possible they're fixing the spoilers and will put it back up once that's done.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

sportsgenius86 posted:

People got lovely about the text spoiling matches so I assume they just turned off all the text.

It's entirely possible they're fixing the spoilers and will put it back up once that's done.

I bet this is it. On some shows they had already transitioned into the bookmarks reading something like "Finish of match between X and Y" so maybe they're taking the text down until they're finished, or they broke something while updating it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, every new show it says "finish of [match]", but on older ones it just straight up told you the finish.

I mean, it never particularly bothered me, because it was pretty much only on really old stuff that the text spoiled the finish.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

120 episodes of Prime Time Wrestling got added today for anyone who needs their Gorilla and Heenan fix.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Still waiting on Shotgun Saturday Nights, at least the first few episodes where it was bonkers and they were wrestling in lovely divebars.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

During interviews about the MSG incident and the kliq, the interviews with and about HHH always make this big deal about him being punished. Like he was going to eat a lot of poo poo and just be buried to the center of the earth. Hunter gets this sad look on his face and says he was demoralized and really really punished. But the reality is he jobbed for about 4 months and then had the IC title for the rest of the year and won at WM and then won KOTR. Just kind of funny how everyone treats it like they didn't know if he could handle such a terrible burial

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oldpainless posted:

During interviews about the MSG incident and the kliq, the interviews with and about HHH always make this big deal about him being punished. Like he was going to eat a lot of poo poo and just be buried to the center of the earth. Hunter gets this sad look on his face and says he was demoralized and really really punished. But the reality is he jobbed for about 4 months and then had the IC title for the rest of the year and won at WM and then won KOTR. Just kind of funny how everyone treats it like they didn't know if he could handle such a terrible burial

It's one of the stupidest reasons to de-push anyone ever anyway, so whatever.

The guys in the back from that era are still the type that were convinced crowds actually bought kayfabe. Within like a year or so that was all over even as an on-screen thing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

super macho dude posted:

Still waiting on Shotgun Saturday Nights, at least the first few episodes where it was bonkers and they were wrestling in lovely divebars.

Shotgun Saturday Night was the one where HHH and Undertaker wrestled in a train station and Undertaker tombstoned him on an escalator right?

I am pretty sure i did not imagine that

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anyone have experience using WWE Network on Kodi? Just want to be sure it's on the up-and-up before I start downloading shady zips.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

projecthalaxy posted:

Shotgun Saturday Night was the one where HHH and Undertaker wrestled in a train station and Undertaker tombstoned him on an escalator right?

I am pretty sure i did not imagine that

Fear not, you're not imagining things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-sf3K0L9gY&t=535s

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

OK yeah put Shotgun Saturday Night up immediately. Take down like all of 1995 if you have to make room.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Shotgun Saturday Night kinda peaked early when Ahmed Johnson piledrove D-Lo on top of a car and somehow neither man died.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Benne posted:

and somehow neither man died.

I wasn't watching when Ahmed Johnson was around but I love that almost every story I hear about the dude seems to end with this phrase.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ahmed "Puffy Muscles" Johnson

Edit: I'd never read Ahmed Johnson's Wikipedia page until now. It has this excellent nugget

"[Johnson] joined the United States Army, but was later discharged due to striking his captain over viewing his orders as "kind of cowardly." "

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 9, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Ahmed "Puffy Muscles" Johnson

Edit: I'd never read Ahmed Johnson's Wikipedia page until now. It has this excellent nugget

"[Johnson] joined the United States Army, but was later discharged due to striking his captain over viewing his orders as "kind of cowardly." "

Lmao Ahmed owns

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shotgun had like 2 months of completely insane episodes before it just became the same as every other C show WWE has ever made. Ive never fully understood why WWF/E so consistently has had such a short attention span for it's C shows like that. What makes you come up with a wacky idea, go through all the time and effort to make it happen, and then just lose interest a few weeks later?

oldpainless posted:

In defense of HHH (and it hurts to type that) my memory of it is that he really was booked like poo poo and going nowhere until he just ended up in DX as the sidekick and it made his career. I mean, it's 90s WWF so there's a thin line between being buried and having a marquee feud over pig slop. But my memory if HHH becoming HBK's buddy was "Really? Him?"

And the MSG incident was a dumb thing to get heat for and for vets to still be hurt about since historically it's such a perfect highlight of WWF clinging to kayfabe and resisting the changing world before they finally were saved by embracing it with stuff like DX.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Shotgun had like 2 months of completely insane episodes before it just became the same as every other C show WWE has ever made. Ive never fully understood why WWF/E so consistently has had such a short attention span for it's C shows like that. What makes you come up with a wacky idea, go through all the time and effort to make it happen, and then just lose interest a few weeks later?

In defense of HHH (and it hurts to type that) my memory of it is that he really was booked like poo poo and going nowhere until he just ended up in DX as the sidekick and it made his career. I mean, it's 90s WWF so there's a thin line between being buried and having a marquee feud over pig slop. But my memory if HHH becoming HBK's buddy was "Really? Him?"

And the MSG incident was a dumb thing to get heat for and for vets to still be hurt about since historically it's such a perfect highlight of WWF clinging to kayfabe and resisting the changing world before they finally were saved by embracing it with stuff like DX.

With Shotgun it was costing too much to produce the show, IIRC, so they just turned it into a cheaply made syndie. Don't forget, when they were trying out Shotgun as an experiment they were getting their rear end whooped every week in the ratings by Nitro, plus Vince was sweating Bret's mammoth contract.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's similar to when Heat was on MTV and they started out treating it as similar to Smackdown, but eventually it was a C+ show that was pretty much Main Event but occasionally there'd be an angle with the lowest of the midcard. (Notably, I believe Heat is where Lita debuted as Essa Rios' valet.) They have the idea that a new show/new network means they'll get tons of eyes on the show (or they need to deliver a certain amount of eyeballs to make the network not drop the show right away) but then they realise most of the Raw and PPV audience isn't watching it, so running angles and matches with the main eventers doesn't make sense because no-one sees them and your top guys might get hurt. Hence basic house-show level matches with Thrasher and Crash Holly

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I get Shotgun in a vacuum. But then like I remember when Heat started it was like this magazine show with featured matches you'd actually care about and then it just became a random jobber show. And there was the ECW thing where it started in ECW venues and trying to do something unique and then just became a generic C show. There's reasons for all of them. But its the pattern that strikes me as funny.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you have to remember that until like 2000, WWE's undercard was loving terrible. RAW 1997 is great because you have Foley, Austin, and Hart, but take them away and you have next to nothing. That's really why Shotgun Saturday Night was bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

STAC Goat posted:

Austin saved them. DX did jack poo poo. I can't think of an act that's been blown up to be more important than it actually was by WWE alt history.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Austin saved them. DX did jack poo poo. I can't think of an act that's been blown up to be more important than it actually was by WWE alt history.

Um they drove a literal tank to a WCW show!!!!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

bischoff was ready to fight the tank with his bare hands

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Heat was loving awesome when it was on before a PPV, and also when the PPV sets were cool and unique

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I miss unique PPV sets.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
DX ruled. Suck it you nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Notably, I believe Heat is where Lita debuted as Essa Rios' valet.

I remember Bull Buchanan also debuted on Heat, and Trish Stratus scouted Test and Albert over the course of an episode.

Hell, When I was watching through 98-99 Raws a bunch of important poo poo happened (or seemed to happen) on Heat, including (I think) the debuts of Gangrel and the APA.