Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Because it's summer and I'm bored at work.

So half of wrestling is trying to present a worthwhile product in the ring. But it doesn't matter how good your matches are if no one shows up, and that's why you gotta talk them into the building. This tournament is designed to figure out who's the greatest talker in the history of wrestling. At least for now.

HOW WILL THIS WORK???

Submit UP TO TEN (10) nominations to sasmediasheep at gmail dot com. Put your forums name in the subject title along with Best Wrestling Talkers. You don't have to submit exactly ten but that's the limit. Don't nominate people in here I'll ignore it because I get confused easily. I'll take however many nominees we get and put them into a bracket seeded by whoever gets the most nominations. I'm looking to keep it a nice even number; if we get 20 nods it'll be the top 16, if we get 40 it'll be the top 32 and etc...

When it comes to voting I'll make a separate thread just for that, so this can be the discussion thread.

WHO CAN WE NOMINATE????

Anyone who talked into a microphone at a wrestling event. Wrestlers, managers, tv announcers, ring announcers, etc... I'm going big tent with this one since they're all on the same team of trying to get your money.

HOW SHOULD WE VOTE OH GOD I DON'T WANT TO GET THIS WRONG AND LOOK LIKE A HUGE rear end ON THE FORUMS

You'll be voting on the best talker in wrestling history, not the best worker. Ring work or match quality has nothing to do with this tournament, it's all about the gift of gab on the stick. You could be a wrestler on the level of Sid but be able to talk on the level of Sid and it's only the latter that is to be taken into contention.

SHOULD WE POST VIDEOS AND TRY TO SWAY OTHERS TO OUR WAY OF THINKING?

Oh I suppose.

CAN WE NOMINATE SID

You can nominate Sid.

I figure I'll give y'all a week to nominate so I'll cut off nominations after next Tuesday, May 16th, and seed/start the sucker the next day. Feel free to discuss and post videos here, but a reminder that nominees need to be e-mails to sasmediasheep at gmail dot com and not posted here. Otherwise, have fun! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Alexa Bliss is the best say what

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Can we eliminate some of the obvious big names first as auto-includes to get more variety in the nominations?

I nominate the following as auto-includes:
Austin
Rock
Dusty
Ric Flair
Randy Savage
Jake Roberts

e: Scott Steiner

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
There's only one man who can win this tournament...

https://youtu.be/bmcUTUKO5-Y?t=4m50s

:tbear:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

My dark horse candidate: Ravishing Rick Rude

Don't forget the GOAT: Scott Steiner

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Check THIS out: I ain't gonna send you an email.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Go RV! posted:

Can we eliminate some of the obvious big names first as auto-includes to get more variety in the nominations?

Austin
Rock
Dusty
Ric Flair
Randy Savage
Jake Roberts

I agree with this post.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Go RV! posted:

Austin
Rock
Dusty
Ric Flair
Randy Savage
Jake Roberts

There's ten nominations so people can feel free to do their serious ones and still be able to list a few dark horses, plus I don't feel like getting into a pissing match over who should be an auto-nomination and who shouldn't. I think we'll be fine, plus I'm using total nominations for seeding purposes so I'm looking for some redundancy.

dromal phrenia posted:

Check THIS out: I ain't gonna send you an email.

:mad:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Titus O'neil

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

There's a distinct lack of Bobby Heenan nominations in this thread. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ecavalli posted:

There's a distinct lack of Bobby Heenan nominations in this thread. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

technically there are no nominations in this thread

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

heres a hot to tip to make this successful, get apsouthern to do all the heavy lifting

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

my posts

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
yoshi tatsu, the show where he gave commentary was some of the best entertainment with wrestling in my life

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Val Venis, the Big Valbowski

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ecavalli posted:

There's a distinct lack of Bobby Heenan nominations in this thread.

Bobby "The Brain" knows that is because people read C. Everett Koop's post and are e-mailing nominations instead of making them in this thread!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mean Gene deserves a nod. He always had the greatest hype and enthusiasm for some of the dumbest poo poo ever. He excitedly played along with the Gobbledegooker for gently caress's sake.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Terry Funk you banana nosed egg sucking fool

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

OP if I send you an email you aren't going to sell my address to unscrupulous folk over the internet for personal monetary gain are you?

You have to tell me if you are.

Also does the "It's still real to me" guy count? Coz that was on microphone, and I found it entertaining

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Nick Bockwinkel, Jake the Snake, and Bobby Heenan. i'm not emailing you

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can we make this the Smackdown gameday for tonight?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

It's Jake The Snake. Contest over.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

super macho dude posted:

It's Jake The Snake. Contest over.

If I've got 21, he's got 22.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
How has Foley not been mentioned yet?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

the godfather but NOT the goodfather

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Vince McMahon absolutely deserves consideration

Let's also throw in CM Punk, Paul Heyman, the Miz, and heck, why not Enzo Amore

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

OP if I send you an email you aren't going to sell my address to unscrupulous folk over the internet for personal monetary gain are you?

You have to tell me if you are.

Also does the "It's still real to me" guy count? Coz that was on microphone, and I found it entertaining

I tried to but there were no takers, even at the price of "free."

And it's still real to me guy counts sure why not someone's gotta lose in the first round.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

dsriggs posted:

There's only one man who can win this tournament...

https://youtu.be/bmcUTUKO5-Y?t=4m50s

:tbear:

I believe you mean this gentleman.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I can't imagine anyone but Heyman winning this. Punk is good, Cena is good, coked up Macho Man was always fun, the Brain was real good, but Heyman is a guy I want to see talking even when he's almost never going to be involved in a physical confrontation at all. The Brain fits in that category too, so I'll be surprised to see anything but a Heyman/Heenan final.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
MRT will be annoyed at me for saying this, but Piper. His 90's/00's stuff (I liked his HOF speech, though) is embarrassing but his late 70's and 1980's stuff was ridiculously good at getting heat.

Also, Jerry Lawler. It's hard to believe now, but Lawler was one of the top 5 promos of the 80's.

And this may get a laugh or 2 but I'm serious: New Jack. Couldn't wrestle for poo poo but man was he a captivating promo. "I have a criminal record and I'm a college graduate, so I know how to make decisions". What a choice line.

Dark horse suggestion: Eddie Kingston. The promo he cut before High Noon is the best promo in Indy wrestling history. And the promo that ends with "You can call me sick, but it's a cold world, bundle up" is pretty great, too.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 10, 2017

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Jumpin Jeff Farmer

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I saw Eddie Kingston's name brought up so like can we do vetos here?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I saw Eddie Kingston's name brought up so like can we do vetos here?

depends how much money ya got?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A lot. The most I think.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think someone should nominate Superstar Billy Graham

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

raven was ok. i dont want to vote though. and i wouldn't vote for him. But here i am so what The gently caress is going on in this world

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's obviously Big Sexy Kevin Nash.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XBbdh1HHKc

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Rowdy Roddy Piper you tasteless goofs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

I'm gonna come out of left field and nominate Bubba Ray Dudley.

and Chris Jericho.

• Locked thread