Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The_Rob posted:

DX ruled. Suck it you nerd.

It did but a lot of WWE stuff makes it seem like it was half Austin and half DX that turned WWE around which isn't true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Endless Mike posted:

I miss unique PPV sets.

The Backlash set had giant talons

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

oldpainless posted:

It did but a lot of WWE stuff makes it seem like it was half Austin and half DX that turned WWE around which isn't true

I mean I guess not, but DX was probably the most over act going for a while. In middle school all I remember was me and my friends doing the DX opening spiel and telling each other to suck it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always felt it was a progression with like Goldust and DX starting the move towards "Attitude" (along with less favorable historical stuff like the race wars) and then Austin and eventually Rock really putting it over the top.

Like, looking for the one thing that saved them is simplistic. They changed their approach from "New Generation" to "Attitude" and DX was unquestionably a big part of that. And anyone who claims DX wasn't that big a deal was clearly not in school at the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I always felt it was a progression with like Goldust and DX starting the move towards "Attitude" (along with less favorable historical stuff like the race wars) and then Austin and eventually Rock really putting it over the top.

Like, looking for the one thing that saved them is simplistic. They changed their approach from "New Generation" to "Attitude" and DX was unquestionably a big part of that. And anyone who claims DX wasn't that big a deal was clearly not in school at the time.

DX wasn't nearly the deal Austin was. Not even in the ballpark. Austin was the turnaround. DX peaked as a money act after the turnaround and was a mid to upper midcard act then. It wasn't nearly as big when it was HBK and HHH in 97/early 98. Also Goldust was as offensive as the gang wars.

DX was really over in mid 98 but it wasn't close to as over as Austin. Not in crowd reactions, not in merchandise and nowhere near him in ticket or PPV sales. Not even close.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not sure where I said different.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not sure where I said different.

You said looking for one thing that saved them is simplistic.

It's not. It's Steve Austin and the thing that made them #1 was Austin with some help from Tyson. He was the turnaround.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So like are you saying that Austin just caused a 180 degree turnaround? I admit I've never cared enough about wrestling business to educate myself on that kind of thing.

I was talking more tone and content where Austin didn't happen in a vacuum but rather followed a general move towards "Attitude" which DX was obviously a big part of. Content wise, if not business wise.

But if this is a debate about "who sold tickets and merch" I'm wholly unprepared for that and didn't mean to wade into that, so I concede it to you.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

So like are you saying that Austin just caused a 180 degree turnaround? I admit I've never cared enough about wrestling business to educate myself on that kind of thing.

I was talking more tone and content where Austin didn't happen in a vacuum but rather followed a general move towards "Attitude" which DX was obviously a big part of. Content wise, if not business wise.

But if this is a debate about "who sold tickets and merch" I'm wholly unprepared for that and didn't mean to wade into that, so I concede it to you.

Ok I see what happened your original point was that DX had a lot to do with the tonal shift and then people started making fun of the WWE talking point that DX was the thing that won the war and it got confused. Yeah, I'll agree that DX played a pretty big role in making the product more overtly raunchy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I see what happened.

I don't think HHH's DX won the war by driving a tank to CNN towers or anything. That was silly sideshow stuff. But I think HBK and his DX act played a not insignificant role in changing the product that ultimately got WWF over the top, even though Austin definitely played a bigger role in getting them over the hump.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
DX was important and entertaining because of coked up HBK. Once he was done, they had a brief run where they coasted off that notoriety and catchphrases before it became horribly stale/lame.

In revisionist WWE history, it's turned into 'DX was popular for their wacky vignettes (insert a clip of DX's special report) which peaked when DX cosplayed as the Nation Of Domination and drove a tank to WCW, one of the most iconic and outrageous moments of the Attitude Era. That, along with the Mr. McMahon/Austin fued, helped turn the tide in the Monday Night War.'

That type of edge was already starting to appear in 1996.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
1997 Bret, Dx, and Austin started things out with cool things like mankind, taker and ken shamrock. Bret vs America.

Post wm 1998 with Mike Tyson bringing attention. Which was a huge loving deal. Austin vs McMahon was the top story. It was amazing, we all loved it. Dx was cool and you had to watch them. But it was like %60 Austin, 25% Dx. The rest was Val Venus dick jokes, taker foley, the rock when he talked, give or take a few points week to week.

By 1999 ministry was cool, still Vince vs Austin, Dx peaked, way more dick jokes from everyone on the roster and guys like show and y2j jumping ship. Austin was 1, rock and taker were #2-#3. HHH, chyna, foley, dx, a penis joke, and sable filled out the rest

From Montreal to the death of wcw it was Austin, rock, hhh-foley-undertaker, dx, penis jokes-wcw star-tits, someone that got a decent push for a few months. Then throw Vince into whatever storyline he was in at the time.

I was 13-17 during this time period, fan since I was 5

Tldr: I've wasted my life

Tldr2: I was born the same day hulkamania won the title and crushed anti-Americanism from shekie baby.

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 10, 2017

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

projecthalaxy posted:

The Backlash set had giant talons

Those were loving sickles

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

The American Dream posted:

Tldr: I've wasted my life

I lived through Rock n Wrestling, Hulkamania running wild (brother), The rise of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, the godawful Diesel reign, the Attitude Era, NWO, and didn't stop watching wrestling until the end of 99'. I didn't pick up watching mainstream WWE until about 2010.

So having the Network and getting to watch the poo poo show that is 2000 era WCW has been mind blowing.

That's my story.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

super macho dude posted:

I lived through Rock n Wrestling, Hulkamania running wild (brother), The rise of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, the godawful Diesel reign, the Attitude Era, NWO, and didn't stop watching wrestling until the end of 99'. I didn't pick up watching mainstream WWE until about 2010.

So having the Network and getting to watch the poo poo show that is 2000 era WCW has been mind blowing.

That's my story.

I didn't stop watching until around 2004, you missed some really good stuff post-invasion until late 2003. Everything since has been unwatchable garbage.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They're finally putting up all the WWECW episodes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Benne posted:

They're finally putting up all the WWECW episodes

Why?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

For most of its run it was the most consistently watchable show WWE ran on a weekly basis. If they called it anything but ECW it'd be much more fondly remembered.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The best part of WWECW (when it was still trying to be ECW) is the knowledge that Big Show is unquestionably the best.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I do remember the very early WWECW where Heyman was able to push Big Show like the monster he always should have been, and the image of him tossing a heavily bleeding Ric Flair around the ring for twenty minutes is burned into my brain. That was loving incredible.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

WWECW was was better than real ecw

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WWECW was really good until they forced Heyman out and even then it was decent until they decided to kill it

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Instead of releasing all the WWECW episodes they should just release a single video containing all the footage they have of ECW Big Show's cobra clutch backbreaker.

But since they arent going to do that i guess ill brush up on my Mean Mike Knox tapes

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I remember liking the Punk vs John Morrison feud. I think punk and Chavo Guerrero had some good matches too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I do remember the very early WWECW where Heyman was able to push Big Show like the monster he always should have been, and the image of him tossing a heavily bleeding Ric Flair around the ring for twenty minutes is burned into my brain. That was loving incredible.

Big Show's title reign was so loving bad with the Ric Flair match as a rare exception. The guy was so unhealthy and barely mobile that he had to take a year off. Why do people remember this fondly? It was almost inhumane that the guy was out there and that the company begged him to stay another month.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah big show looks really bad during that time physically.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

IcePhoenix posted:

WWECW was really good until they forced Heyman out and even then it was decent until they decided to kill it

Really? I thought it totally sucked until like 2008ish. It got better with Heyman gone imo.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

wwecw was fun-bad, then good

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i liked when they called the wrestlers "extremists"

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Like the first episode is the best purely for Angle and Show squashing old ECW guys in their respective matches to establish who the real stars are.

Also the Zombie.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Big Show's title reign was so loving bad with the Ric Flair match as a rare exception. The guy was so unhealthy and barely mobile that he had to take a year off. Why do people remember this fondly? It was almost inhumane that the guy was out there and that the company begged him to stay another month.

I only remember that Big Show was happy to get squashed by Punk, further showing how cool he is.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My favorite WWECW episode was Batista vs Big show at the Hammerstein arena. There was no way the fans were going to do anything but poo poo on that match and they poo poo on it hard and it's hilarious.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I never watched WWECW during its original run, so I watched my first episode (10/28/08) of it today. Teddy Long opened the show pretending to be Ron Burgundy (because they were in San Diego, you see), and the last segment was proto-MizTV with Miz and John Morrison doing a segment with the young Young Bucks dressed as DX.

WWECW is good TV.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I vaguely remember Ric Flair taking a thumbtack bump on free TV for WWECW, so I guess you can't say they didn't try

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Remember the time Austin showed up in the ECW revival and decided to spend his segment on the mic with the fans in the crowd, and you can see his soul being crushed as he quickly realizes what a terrible idea this was :allears:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/884505487055704069

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I never watched WWECW during its original run, so I watched my first episode (10/28/08) of it today. Teddy Long opened the show pretending to be Ron Burgundy (because they were in San Diego, you see), and the last segment was proto-MizTV with Miz and John Morrison doing a segment with the young Young Bucks dressed as DX.

WWECW is good TV.

look at this poor man who doesn't know about The Dirt Sheet

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

look at this poor man who doesn't know about The Dirt Sheet

Given how bad it most of the time as a TV segment he's fortunate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Anyone else having an issue where they sign into the Network, it signs them in and then every time you click on something to watch it says you should sign up to watch this amazing content? Then if you click the "already a member, sign in!" button it just takes you back to the front page and clicking any video gives you the exact same issue?

Tried on different browsers, have thing each time. No idea what the problem is.

Edit: Oh I see, my credit card details changed and they never bothered to send me an e-mail saying my subscription would no longer work (but will still log me in!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Everything old is new again: Vince has repeatedly referred to Bam Bam as "The Beast from the East"