Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Who wants to see the cats I cuddled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those look like great choices. Who was the best cuddle?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Wait, this is a real thing? :psyduck:

EDIT: Winnipeg! :haw:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 9, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Those look like great choices. Who was the best cuddle?

They were all pretty good! Romeo plopped himself right in my lap and rumbled as loud as anyone could please, and it was Very Important to Mrs Jingles that I skritch her real good, and Ed apparently loves rings and kept trying to eat mine, just licklicknibblenibble at them.

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait, this is a real thing? :psyduck:

EDIT: Winnipeg! :haw:

Gotta keep the cats socialized so they're ready to be around people when they go home! It was two solid hours of cat petting.

All pictured cats currently available for adoption, etc, etc.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

i would adopt all of those cats :3:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gizmo's got some A+ blep going on, but don't lounge in your toilet, lovely fat cat! I hope he was into hugs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dismas posted:

i would adopt all of those cats :3:

If I didn't live in a tiny apartment in a different country I'd be going to adopt a cat right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

neongrey posted:

Gotta keep the cats socialized so they're ready to be around people when they go home! It was two solid hours of cat petting.

This is exactly what I did for my service learning hours in college. Went to local animal shelter, sat down in cat house, pet cats and let them approach me and get used to humans while I read a book.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So what are the SIDEKICK, EXECUTIVE, EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT, etc. notes on the kennel tags for? Socialization levels the cats like? How well they get along with other cats/dogs/kids/etc.?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The ASCPA's personality test: http://aspcapro.org/resource/saving-lives-adoption-programs-behavior-enrichment/meet-your-match-feline-ality-graphics

It doesn't cover kids or other pets, it's about how the cat relates to new situations and people.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Gizmo's got some A+ blep going on, but don't lounge in your toilet, lovely fat cat! I hope he was into hugs.

He was in a pretty lazy mood, he did not get up out of his box at all. He demanded a lot of headskritches, and i worried for his head getting covered in cat litter when he wumphed his head onto the ground for face/earskritches. His blep is majestic though, he rarely remembered to put his tongue away.

Anne Whateley posted:

The ASCPA's personality test: http://aspcapro.org/resource/saving-lives-adoption-programs-behavior-enrichment/meet-your-match-feline-ality-graphics

It doesn't cover kids or other pets, it's about how the cat relates to new situations and people.

Yeah. The shelter also tests cats with dogs, but it's not part of that test, obviously.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Welp Bessie and Holstein are back at the SPCA. Holstein had come down with some sort of URI, got real sniffly, and wasn't gaining weight. So they're watching him for the next couple of days to see if he makes it. :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Personal Assistant cat is the best. My brother's cat was like that, equal parts cute and maddening. Well, not always equal parts!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Poor Holstein. Hope the little guy does okay.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Anne Whateley posted:

One of my cats is a Personal Assistant, and the other is definitely a Secret Admirer.

Both are good cattes.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

LuiCypher posted:

One of my cats is a Personal Assistant, and the other is definitely a Secret Admirer.

Both are good cattes.

Take a wild guess what Butterscotch is?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

He's big enough for all of them really. :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like Charger's mugshot :3: What a nice bunch of kitties.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is it any surprise that Butterscotch would hog all the chili?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
You guys....

I sent my foster back to the shelter last weekend to make room for my new special needs (sort of) foster (she needs to be a solo cat, and is not adoptable, so she needs to be a permanent foster in a home with no other cats. I was the only member of the organization without a permanent cat). The previous cat flourished at the shelter (think free-range, no-kill, no cages except for cats in quarantine/under vet care) with other cats but wasn't so great with people, and wasn't happy at my home.

I picked up my new foster yesterday and she's breaking my heart. She's sweet, beautiful, and very docile. Put up no fuss with the vet, and will accept pets and I even got a tiny purr out of her yesterday. But she's depressed. She's with us because her owner died, and she bonded really strongly to the owner. Over time, she bonded with the temporary caretaker, and we've uprooted her again. I can tell she's lonely and sad and misses her person. Her eyes are so sad, and all I want to do is make her feel happy and safe. She's 12 and deserves a forever home, and although she's not technically adoptable, I think it's fair to say she's going to live out her days at my home.

I've spent only a couple hours with her and I'm in love already. If she were adoptable, I'd be a foster fail.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Please feel better Holstein :ohdear:

Chili posted:

Take a wild guess what Butterscotch is?

100% pure butterfat lovebug :3:

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
So you may remember my cat Charlie, aka this guy:

Well recently a friend of ours got a new kitten, named Smew, and brought her over to meet Charlie.

She's very snuggly. (Sorry about the fat gently caress she's sitting on, that's me)

Charlie was skittish about her at first.

But later we saw him possibly trying to groom her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maggie Fletcher posted:

You guys....

I sent my foster back to the shelter last weekend to make room for my new special needs (sort of) foster (she needs to be a solo cat, and is not adoptable, so she needs to be a permanent foster in a home with no other cats. I was the only member of the organization without a permanent cat). The previous cat flourished at the shelter (think free-range, no-kill, no cages except for cats in quarantine/under vet care) with other cats but wasn't so great with people, and wasn't happy at my home.

I picked up my new foster yesterday and she's breaking my heart. She's sweet, beautiful, and very docile. Put up no fuss with the vet, and will accept pets and I even got a tiny purr out of her yesterday. But she's depressed. She's with us because her owner died, and she bonded really strongly to the owner. Over time, she bonded with the temporary caretaker, and we've uprooted her again. I can tell she's lonely and sad and misses her person. Her eyes are so sad, and all I want to do is make her feel happy and safe. She's 12 and deserves a forever home, and although she's not technically adoptable, I think it's fair to say she's going to live out her days at my home.

I've spent only a couple hours with her and I'm in love already. If she were adoptable, I'd be a foster fail.

Why won't they let you adopt her? Fostering always seemed partially like a scheme to soften people up so they'd eventually keep a few.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Why won't they let you adopt her? Fostering always seemed partially like a scheme to soften people up so they'd eventually keep a few.

She's a trust fund kitty. Basically, her owner left us enough money to take care of her until she's gone, which means she's the property of the organization. Once you adopt a cat, they're yours, but if you foster them, they belong to the organization. She wanted it this way because she trusted the organization and didn't want her cat in the hands of strangers (I know I am technically a stranger, but as a foster for the organization, I have a responsibility to do things their way). But because a shelter's not a good place for her, she's going to a long-term foster. My assumption is that this will be the last stop for her, or at least, that's my hope, because I think it'd be best for her. This is really a legal situation--the only difference is that any serious decisions are made by the organization, not me, and her vets have to be...vetted (heh) and approved by the organization, and her trust will cover her care.

It was her owner's way of ensuring good quality of life for her cat, and to be honest, it's working. She gets the benefit of good care, while her owner died knowing she would have the best life possible.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Maggie Fletcher posted:

She's a trust fund kitty. Basically, her owner left us enough money to take care of her until she's gone, which means she's the property of the organization. Once you adopt a cat, they're yours, but if you foster them, they belong to the organization. She wanted it this way because she trusted the organization and didn't want her cat in the hands of strangers (I know I am technically a stranger, but as a foster for the organization, I have a responsibility to do things their way). But because a shelter's not a good place for her, she's going to a long-term foster. My assumption is that this will be the last stop for her, or at least, that's my hope, because I think it'd be best for her. This is really a legal situation--the only difference is that any serious decisions are made by the organization, not me, and her vets have to be...vetted (heh) and approved by the organization, and her trust will cover her care.

It was her owner's way of ensuring good quality of life for her cat, and to be honest, it's working. She gets the benefit of good care, while her owner died knowing she would have the best life possible.

so marry the cat? :colbert:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

smilingfish posted:

So you may remember my cat Charlie, aka this guy:

Well recently a friend of ours got a new kitten, named Smew, and brought her over to meet Charlie.

She's very snuggly. (Sorry about the fat gently caress she's sitting on, that's me)

Charlie was skittish about her at first.

But later we saw him possibly trying to groom her.

Good stuff going on in this house Mr. fish!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

sneakyfrog posted:

so marry the cat? :colbert:

Technically the cat owns the house. You'd be its tenant!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Pander posted:

Technically the cat owns the house. You'd be its tenant!

I'm already in love with her. I may not have adopted her, but she's not going anywhere. Technically still not calling myself a foster fail, but I'm keeping her as long as they'll let me, which I presume will be forever. The only difference is that the estate will pay for her care, and the executor will check in on her every three months.

She's starting to warm up to me a bit. She still has the sad eyes and still hides under the bureau, but she let me pet her chin and cheeks for about 20 minutes this morning. Eventually dozed off with her face in my hand. :3:

I put her old blanket and a t-shirt of mine under there with her. She's using the litter box but hasn't eaten yet. I'm hoping she will today.

I'm a goner, you guys...

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I'm a goner, you guys...

I love everything about this. What's kitty's name? :kimchi:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That is the smuggest kitten...

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Dick Trauma posted:

That is the smuggest kitten...

I haz the high ground.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Butter's Scottish cousin, Pumpkin, also needs to lose some pounds

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Radio! posted:

I love everything about this. What's kitty's name? :kimchi:

Tiger Lily! She's a stripey cat, and her fur is sooo soft. I'll get pictures when she comes out of hiding. I'm starting to see her eyes brighten up a bit when I pay attention to her, so given some time, she and I are gonna be BFFs.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

I can't believe it's not Butters

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Just got an update from the foster coordinator on little Holstein, s/he's still really sniffly and small but he's been hanging in there. They're still keeping them for observation over the weekend, the vet will take another look on Monday and decide if they can be released back into foster care.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Marchegiana posted:

Just got an update from the foster coordinator on little Holstein, s/he's still really sniffly and small but he's been hanging in there. They're still keeping them for observation over the weekend, the vet will take another look on Monday and decide if they can be released back into foster care.

Fingers crossed for lil cowkit! Please keep us updated!

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this but I wasn't sure if I should go to the general cat thread or this one.

A momma cat and her baby have taken up residence under my trailer. I'm totally cool with this but if the momma cat has more babies this might be a problem so I wanna take her to get fixed. Problem is I have no idea who to call to come get her as she will run away if I approach her, animal control or a local shelter?

if someone can point me in the right direction (or if I'm in the wrong thread the proper one) I'd really appreciate it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ComicsandSlushies posted:

sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this but I wasn't sure if I should go to the general cat thread or this one.

A momma cat and her baby have taken up residence under my trailer. I'm totally cool with this but if the momma cat has more babies this might be a problem so I wanna take her to get fixed. Problem is I have no idea who to call to come get her as she will run away if I approach her, animal control or a local shelter?

if someone can point me in the right direction (or if I'm in the wrong thread the proper one) I'd really appreciate it

If you ask the local shelter, they might know about local rescue organizations that help with fixing wild cats. The shelter might also loan you a trap to catch the cats. The kitten could probably be adopted by someone if you catch them (maybe you or someone you know).

I'd be careful with animal control because they might have rules about not letting wild cats go after fixing them.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Look into something called "TNR" (trap, neuter, release) and see if there's any programs in your area. if there's nothing near you then see if your shelter or animal control can loan/rent you a humane trap. Basically a cage with a weight plate- kitty goes in for foods and the door closes behind her. You don't want to separate her from her kitten if she's still nursing though, so make sure you keep them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

this is real good advice but I just wanna say your avatar is loving adorable