Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

Finally got my greasy mitts on Nier Atomato. Didn't get to play it too much, still getting used to the combat and holding the controller with my fingers over all of the back buttons, but I'm liking it.

One problem I'm having though is that I keep thinking its Breath of Wild and that I'm going to jump to the side of a building and start climbing it.

If you hold the jump button you can float on your pod. You can just do that forever and avoid fall damage and also cover a good bit of distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

If you hold the jump button you can float on your pod. You can just do that forever and avoid fall damage and also cover a good bit of distance.

Does the game ever tell you that, because I didn't realise this for the longest time and I figured it out completely by accident

Gitro has a new favorite as of 03:13 on May 8, 2017

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

I find that when I switch to the gamepad for these puzzles it screws up the orientation of the puzzle too, so I spend as much time trying to get it to cooperate as I do trying to actually finish the puzzle.

I had this problem at first too, it's because of the position it's set for the gamepad as "neutral" when you pick it up. If you press B to back out of it and then restart it with the gamepad, the puzzle will reset back to its starting position and it's much easier

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

One thing dragging Yakuza 0 down is the out-dated save system. You might start a side story and come across a three dialogue choice option, and you can't choose the obviously false ones for laughs as you won't get the best reward and would have to reload a save from possibly ages ago :mad:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gitro posted:

Does the game ever tell you that, because I didn't realise this for the longest time and I figured it out completely by accident

Nope! It's also one of the most useful tricks to getting extra length out of a jump. Which you only need for like, two items in the game but still.

Anyway, know what else is really getting me about Hollow Knight? The map is beyond awful. Knowing where the hell you are in a metroidvania is super important but nah, let's just give you no map, then make you have to buy map, and map upgrades. Even a little cursor to show you where you are on the map is not only expensive, but you have to manually equip it. I just stumbled onto a boss entirely by accident because I thought I Was in a completely different area to where it was and now I have to try and beat it with half the energy. Because that's apparently what happens when you die, the game just takes away half your poo poo and all of your money.

It's really frustrating that this game explains loving nothing about its mechanics.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Nope! It's also one of the most useful tricks to getting extra length out of a jump. Which you only need for like, two items in the game but still.

Anyway, know what else is really getting me about Hollow Knight? The map is beyond awful. Knowing where the hell you are in a metroidvania is super important but nah, let's just give you no map, then make you have to buy map, and map upgrades. Even a little cursor to show you where you are on the map is not only expensive, but you have to manually equip it. I just stumbled onto a boss entirely by accident because I thought I Was in a completely different area to where it was and now I have to try and beat it with half the energy. Because that's apparently what happens when you die, the game just takes away half your poo poo and all of your money.

It's really frustrating that this game explains loving nothing about its mechanics.

Your shade is always placed outside the boss room so you shouldn't have to fight the boss with limited soul.

The map system is pretty annoying though, yeah. I think I could handle having to buy a map and have it automatically map as I enter rooms, or not having to buy a map and having to rest at a bench to actually add rooms to the map, but having both is just excessive. Having to use a charm slot to know where you are is also ridiculous. At least the pins are all really cheap.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zinkraptor posted:

Your shade is always placed outside the boss room so you shouldn't have to fight the boss with limited soul.

The map system is pretty annoying though, yeah. I think I could handle having to buy a map and have it automatically map as I enter rooms, or not having to buy a map and having to rest at a bench to actually add rooms to the map, but having both is just excessive. Having to use a charm slot to know where you are is also ridiculous. At least the pins are all really cheap.

Yeah I found my shade. Having to fight your ghost is probably the most annoying version of the whole "you have to get your body back" mechanic yet. Now I'm in a poison garden zone and am getting horrible Valdis Story flashbacks.

EDIT: Also this game is super inconsistent about enemy respawns. Some dudes stay dead for two or three screens, but this really tough miniboss-like guy? Nah he respawns every time you enter this room. Have fun fighting two of them on the next screen.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 09:02 on May 8, 2017

Gitro
May 29, 2013
An ally pissed off a fallen empire and decided to fight them despite in no way being capable of doing so. I'm more than happy to throw them under the bus, but because the FE hasn't occupied the planet they want purged I can't. Except they're ignoring that planet to attack me, and I'm pretty sure any fight would be a one-sided slaughter. This is why I'm always a massive isolationist when I play paradox games.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gitro posted:

Not that I recall. I somehow failed to pick up that you can lock-on to people until I was close to the end of my first ending. Makes hacking way way easier.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

To expand on Hollow Knight:

Honestly a lot of stuff is dragging the game down. It innovates very little from the standpoint of inventory items (double jump, dash, SUPER dash, the thing what lets you swim in acid, etc). This is not a strike by itself.

The prevalence of knockback on absolutely everything (enemy attacks, your attacks without a specific charm, touching an enemy, world hazards) and the ubiquity of spikes that make you fade to black and load back in if you touch them is infuriating. Additionally, I have more than once been faded to black by spikes and then respawned directly into a lethal enemy attack without a chance to avoid it. This game's spikes are about as bad as it gets without outright killing you.

Boss fights are this weird mixture of hair-pulling frustration and mysterious ease. My median number of attempts on a boss is two, because I'd get hit by each one of their unfamiliar attacks while learning the fight and that's it, that's all your health, and healing in combat is an exercise in frustration, but after you know the attacks they're mostly trivial to avoid. More on healing, though.

Healing (by focusing soul) is extremely flow-breaking and annoying. It takes too long to wind up, doesn't chain fast enough, and has waaaaaay too much recovery afterwards. Even if you dismiss boss fights as not balanced around healing any time but during boss staggers and phase transitions, healing during traversal is simply a drag. You aren't swigging estus for a second or smashing a lifegem; stopping momentum for the several seconds required to heal is annoying. And the healing requirements...

That brings me to the damage system. When you are damaged you are knocked back significantly with a serious slow-time period and all sound cuts out for a few seconds. But everything does the same damage from the weakest enemy in the game to the strongest (okay, some things deal two damage), and zooming around with your cool fun traversal abilities is often a mistake because you'll blunder into a weak enemy, cut your sound, lose momentum (fall into spikes??) and take damage (that you will then have to heal very slowly). And running out of health sends you back so far that you need to stay relatively topped up, necessitating breaks to heal and/or lots of farming enemies for soul.

The other thing necessitating healing is a lot of Dickhead Design. Spike placement is especially heinous in a lot of places where three of the dash that you constantly spam to travel faster lands you neatly in a spike pit, or where chaining three or four wall jumps will jump you directly into spikes. Given how this game's spikes break flow and respawn you, it's really annoying.

Extremely small Thing: Parries. Attacking an enemy at the same time they attack you gives you a sort of fighting game clash where neither attack lands. Cool, fine. But it creates a slow time pause like taking damage would, and screws up your timing if you're trying to chain aerial attacks on an enemy to stay in the air.

With all that said it's a decent game and I'm going to finish it, but man, it could have been a lot better.

bookkeeper has a new favorite as of 19:04 on May 8, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Remembered something during my replay of Lego City Undercover that really gets on my tits - the car chases where you are a cop chasing a vehicle. You see a cutscene of the enemy car coming out of a garage and pulling up to the start, then have to wait for a helicopter to slowly descend and drop a car for you to drive in, giving the opponent way too much of a head start, and sometimes the car you are given is a crap one that can barely keep up, unless theres some rubber-banding that I'm not aware of. They are the most annoying missions for that reason.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So Dragon Quest 8 on the 3ds is a mediocre game. Whats astounding is how much stuff they fixed from the original version and the game is still not good at all. Throughout this long boring process Ive encountered several systems where I think "this is poorly implemented, I must be missing something" only to look it up and find out that not only was this feature in the base game, it was somehow even worse.

In terms of general annoyance, who the hell looked at bosses that could go 2-3 times in a row versus the player and then say "oh yeah, randomly at whim every boss should be able to remove every single buff on the entire player party, including the nearly mandatory but tedious as gently caress "do actual damage buff""

It doesnt help the story has several insulting cruel characters you are forced to help who get no real comeuppance and in one case have no actual bearing on the plot. One of them they changed in a cutscene in the 3ds version, but seriously why the gently caress would a hero seeking to save the world from darkness be ok with a guy beating a servant and then forcing him to eat dogfood from a bowl ever be a sensible "not a villain" inclusion in your ge.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

So Dragon Quest 8 on the 3ds is a mediocre game. Whats astounding is how much stuff they fixed from the original version and the game is still not good at all. Throughout this long boring process Ive encountered several systems where I think "this is poorly implemented, I must be missing something" only to look it up and find out that not only was this feature in the base game, it was somehow even worse.

In terms of general annoyance, who the hell looked at bosses that could go 2-3 times in a row versus the player and then say "oh yeah, randomly at whim every boss should be able to remove every single buff on the entire player party, including the nearly mandatory but tedious as gently caress "do actual damage buff""

It doesnt help the story has several insulting cruel characters you are forced to help who get no real comeuppance and in one case have no actual bearing on the plot. One of them they changed in a cutscene in the 3ds version, but seriously why the gently caress would a hero seeking to save the world from darkness be ok with a guy beating a servant and then forcing him to eat dogfood from a bowl ever be a sensible "not a villain" inclusion in your ge.
Sorry, it owns. DQ8 is extremely good, you just don't enjoy Dragon Quest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sorry, it owns. DQ8 is extremely good, you just don't enjoy Dragon Quest.

Hrm on one hand you say it owns, on the other hand the game has no respeccing and extremely limited skill points which are equipment dependent and theres no way to find out what skills do before you unlock them.

Also the skill that says it can hunt metal slimes is, objectively, really really bad for hunting them which is hilarious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

Hrm on one hand you say it owns, on the other hand the game has no respeccing and extremely limited skill points which are equipment dependent and theres no way to find out what skills do before you unlock them.

Also the skill that says it can hunt metal slimes is, objectively, really really bad for hunting them which is hilarious.
It's a very good game, the series operating at its peak. The really lovely one is Dragon Quest 7.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Dragon Quest 8 is a really good game. But the problems it has drags the game down considerably. The skill system, for example, being one of the worst offenders. Why would they possibly think a hidden, linear skill system with no respeccing was a good idea?

Also any alchemy/crafting system in which you have to look up recipes online is bad.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a very good game, the series operating at its peak. The really lovely one is Dragon Quest 7.

Dragon Quest 7 is really good but 5 is the best. 8 is okay but it suffers from too many of the problems that would later make 9 my least favorite dragon quest to date.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So apparently, I can't progress Nier Automata until I find a specific drop from an enemy and that kind of sucks. Not really the best way to start a game by having you run from area to area so enemies can respawn so you can kill them and hope they drop it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hadn't played it in a while but I don't remember grenade launchers being homing or able to shoot through terrain in Armored Core: For Answer. Or doing 40,000 damage. gently caress you Rai-Den.

Also wow Aaliyah sucks a lot with the default gear. It can barely stay in the air at all.

I'd like the Kirkhammer a lot more if that 20 damage shockwave didn't constantly override the 600 points of damage before the patch (or is that still a thing).

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 00:16 on May 9, 2017

Veotax
May 16, 2006

scarycave posted:

So apparently, I can't progress Nier Automata until I find a specific drop from an enemy and that kind of sucks. Not really the best way to start a game by having you run from area to area so enemies can respawn so you can kill them and hope they drop it.

What quest is that? If it's the one early on that has you go after some hostile Machines with swords then the items are on the ground around the area, not dropped from enemies.

Nier Automata is actually very good about quest that have you gather some generic drop item, it'll mark an area on your map and put some enemies that are pretty much guaranteed to drop that item rather than having you grind for it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Veotax posted:

What quest is that? If it's the one early on that has you go after some hostile Machines with swords then the items are on the ground around the area, not dropped from enemies.

Nier Automata is actually very good about quest that have you gather some generic drop item, it'll mark an area on your map and put some enemies that are pretty much guaranteed to drop that item rather than having you grind for it.

That quest is for the weapons trader (who sells Nier's swords from the first game which is kind of cool) which I did pretty quickly, but the supply trader asks you for drops from the smaller machines (and those weird tower machines in the desert) - I need one more item and it just isn't dropping for me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

More lovely things about Hollow Knight; Enemies and bosses get i-frames you don't. Enemies and bosses can hurt you just by touching you, even after they hit you. A lot of bosses don't really have distinct tells, either. This boss I'm currently at will leap in the air and then do one of two moves. Either dash at you, or do an AOE attack. They have the exact same tell except in one case she stops mid-air the other case she doesn't. You want to jump to avoid one attack, but not the other. So gently caress you if you guess wrong. Same thing on the ground, one attack she'll throw her weapon across the whole room, the other one she'll dash halfway across. Did you think you were safe and try to heal? Nope spear throw this time. The whole time, of course, if you time your jumps even slightly wrong you're just going to hit the body and take damage anyway because just colliding with the boss deals the exact same amount of damage as getting hit by any of the attacks.

Previous boss had the same problem. They would raise their weapon and either A. Slam the ground. B. Slam the ground and make a shockwave or C. Slam the ground multiple times. From the exact same position.

Also everything has like twice as much HP As it feels like it should? Even the little annoying pest enemies that just buzz around, and generic crawly dudes that scuttle around platformers like you find in every zone in metroid take like two or three hits to kill. It feels like bosses are immortal until they just fall over dead.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

scarycave posted:

That quest is for the weapons trader (who sells Nier's swords from the first game which is kind of cool) which I did pretty quickly, but the supply trader asks you for drops from the smaller machines (and those weird tower machines in the desert) - I need one more item and it just isn't dropping for me.

I never had this problem. N:A forces quest drops onto enemies if killing them is mandatory- are you hunting in the marked quest zone?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Somfin posted:

I never had this problem. N:A forces quest drops onto enemies if killing them is mandatory- are you hunting in the marked quest zone?

If you mean the parts of the map that are red, then yes. And then when they're gone - I just run around to the desert killing everything and then going back. Really hope I somehow didn't miss it or something if it did drop and now I can't finish the game.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Nuebot posted:

More lovely things about Hollow Knight; Enemies and bosses get i-frames you don't. Enemies and bosses can hurt you just by touching you, even after they hit you. A lot of bosses don't really have distinct tells, either. This boss I'm currently at will leap in the air and then do one of two moves. Either dash at you, or do an AOE attack. They have the exact same tell except in one case she stops mid-air the other case she doesn't. You want to jump to avoid one attack, but not the other. So gently caress you if you guess wrong. Same thing on the ground, one attack she'll throw her weapon across the whole room, the other one she'll dash halfway across. Did you think you were safe and try to heal? Nope spear throw this time. The whole time, of course, if you time your jumps even slightly wrong you're just going to hit the body and take damage anyway because just colliding with the boss deals the exact same amount of damage as getting hit by any of the attacks.

Previous boss had the same problem. They would raise their weapon and either A. Slam the ground. B. Slam the ground and make a shockwave or C. Slam the ground multiple times. From the exact same position.

Also everything has like twice as much HP As it feels like it should? Even the little annoying pest enemies that just buzz around, and generic crawly dudes that scuttle around platformers like you find in every zone in metroid take like two or three hits to kill. It feels like bosses are immortal until they just fall over dead.

I think I know which bosses you're talking about and I could always tell which attack it was, though I don't remember how. Probably either an audio cue or just the start-up to the attack animation. As a seasoned Dark Souls player I'm conservative with trying to get damage on bosses, though, so I usually keep my distance.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bookkeeper posted:

I think I know which bosses you're talking about and I could always tell which attack it was, though I don't remember how. Probably either an audio cue or just the start-up to the attack animation. As a seasoned Dark Souls player I'm conservative with trying to get damage on bosses, though, so I usually keep my distance.

Couldn't have been audio cues because she has like four different shouts and uses them fairly randomly with little rhyme or reason. Unless the game just swaps what sounds she makes with each phase of the fight. I wound up winning just by pinning her in a corner and spamming the attack button and tanking the damage. :shrug: Turns out most of the damage came from her just walking into me rather than the attacks.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Contact damage sucks rear end in any game not entirely designed around letting you avoid enemies and even in those it's annoying.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Eh, the hornet fight is actually cool and good. I had no problem reading her attacks and you do have opportunities to heal. I will say the default weapon range in that game is annoyingly short and I'm not sure if you're able to improve it at all by that point. You do get iframes eventually, but, uh, most of the game isn't designed around iframes at all so you shouldn't be trying to dodge through attacks like you can in souls or whatever.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

Eh, the hornet fight is actually cool and good. I had no problem reading her attacks and you do have opportunities to heal. I will say the default weapon range in that game is annoyingly short and I'm not sure if you're able to improve it at all by that point. You do get iframes eventually, but, uh, most of the game isn't designed around iframes at all so you shouldn't be trying to dodge through attacks like you can in souls or whatever.

If the attack is a white ghosted blur, you can counter it with a frame-perfect attack of your own. This is only really useful against the mantises.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Earliest you can get the range extension as far as I can tell is right after the Hornet fight, you get the dash. The dash and basic range extension feels like they really should have been the basic poo poo. The game is infinitely more fun like this. The mantis boss fight was the best one yet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's amazing just how poorly Mirror's Edge 1 has held up with it's controls. I've played a Free Running game on the PS2 that controlled easier than that (The one I did for Insetik's extreme sport game thread).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I love Shovel Knight but just HATE Plague of Shadows. I hate how slow Plague Knight feels, hate how every single jump must be preceded by a button hold, hate how his bombs arc and that I have to open up a menu every time I want to change it.

Spectre Knight is awesome.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

I love Shovel Knight but just HATE Plague of Shadows. I hate how slow Plague Knight feels, hate how every single jump must be preceded by a button hold, hate how his bombs arc and that I have to open up a menu every time I want to change it.

Spectre Knight is awesome.
How can you hate Plague Knight?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I'm a bad person. The character and the story is great as usual. Just the way he controls is not fun for me.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

How can you hate Plague Knight?

Only downside to Plague Knights gameplay is having to pause the action to switch up his gear. I know it's supposed to be a holdover from its megaman/castlevania roots but it still breaks up the flow.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Barudak posted:

That was the only dragon quest I've ever played, great game but holy poo poo I would never want to play it again,i thought my game was broken and ended up buying it twice because of the second ending credits freeze (seriously what the gently caress is that all about? ok you don't have an ng+ but at least make it clearer that the game hasn't completely broken)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Savage raids in FF14. Like ok, I get that its supposed to be extremely hard but there is so much punishments that it goes from tough but fair to needlessly rude. Did you gently caress up a single mechanic and got hit? Well you'll lose about 90% of your health. Now you would think this would be punishing enough, I mean another hit and you're dead and the healers now have to take time off the tank to patch you up. But no, they aren't just content with that, every single mess up you make is then given a mark of shame either in the form of a vulnerability debuff which lasts minutes at a time and basically ensures you wont survive the big raid wide hits or they give you a damage over time debuff that'll basically kill you as soon as it ticks. And your healers have to be on the ball for that to cleanse it before it kills you, because if they started casting before you got the debuff applied it wont get cleansed even if the cast finishes after it gets applied cause coding games is hard, and if they take half a second too late to do it it'll tick and you're dead.

So you basically have to commit the entire 8 minute raid to muscle memory and be in the exact perfect spots with the precise timing otherwise you're going to die and most of these raids also have mechanics that require having the entire party alive or it causes a wipe. I'm starting to see why Heavensward killed the raiding scene for FF14.

E: Also the trash tier players when you get into "farm" parties for these raids trying to sneak in their first clear or people who just expect they'll be carried and not that, you know, when 1/8th of the raid is half assing it causes wipes.

Leal has a new favorite as of 20:02 on May 9, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Only downside to Plague Knights gameplay is having to pause the action to switch up his gear. I know it's supposed to be a holdover from its megaman/castlevania roots but it still breaks up the flow.

besides megaman gave you the quickswitch on the l and r buttons once they existed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You really don't need to be switching Plague Knight's equipment a lot mid-level. You might want a different setup at the start, but SK levels are pretty consistent in how they work from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Holy poo poo Upper Cathedral Ward is rear end.

These mindflayers with their hyperarmor grab attacks and freeze spells. I've lost so much insight I've become Charlie at the end of Flowers for Algernon.