Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO4SKdyO8xI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Durzel posted:

Bit of a long shot but I don't suppose if anyone knows if this will have legacy (PS3) fightstick support? Not quite ready to retire my MadCatz (RIP) SFIV TE stick.

Just play on PC with the cool kids problem solved!

(I still use a gen 1 TE-S and don't own a PS4 so yeah, that's where I'll be.)

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Hello I am very excited to play this video game, The Tekken Seven

I think I'm gonna try to break out of my comfort zone in this one a little and go with a char that's not a normie, I'm leaning towards Steve right now. Of course we all know I'll go running back to Lars/Jin within a month, but a man can dream.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Steve is hard right? I'm too scared to play anyone complicated

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dang, I haven't payed these games since 5 and now I feel like playing Tekken. Is using PS Now a good way to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2?

Also, the Law in this game is Marshall, right? So what did his idiot son do this time?

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
While Steve is more technical due to peekaboo stance and his attacks having dodge/movement elements, most of the depth I hear about the Tekken series comes from the many, many small and precise situations that arrive constantly during a game. If you're off axis by a little bit, that one combo you work your rear end off to do might not work right. Recognizing when things are going to be weird like that is where experience comes in.

If that statement is accurate, then it's safe to say the game is more about the varied situations than it is about the characters. At least, that is probably true for the kind of play we'll be seeing as we learn. Even if you're playing someone complex, you'll probably do just fine picking up a basic routine of combos and not worry/focus about how to execute all of his unique maneuvers.

It probably gets said every fighting game thread, but I've never been too fond of the stigma associated with playing "common, basic" characters either. No shame in switching. It's more important to get a few hours of fighting in on some kind of regular basis than it is who we're using anyways.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jmcrofts posted:

He's hard in a sense that he has a big moveset and a lot of the moves are very specific. He's a pressure character, so it helps if you know good fundamentals.

His punishment isn't great in a lot of situations, so you're reliant in your ability to go forward and force the game

His combos seem a bunch easier in Tekken 7 though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Here, more gifs:

http://i.imgur.com/QroOCbL.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/DGoAenF.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/Y4sOnR5.mp4

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm probably going to focus on a new main this time around and Steve is one of the ones I'm looking at. I like Feng's style too, but I don't know much about him.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014
King seems to have a pretty simple hit confirm into that dash throw and that looks extremely satisfying to pull off. Also, how's Law? I haven't seen any high level play of him, but I might want to check him out too.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Lothire posted:

While Steve is more technical due to peekaboo stance and his attacks having dodge/movement elements, most of the depth I hear about the Tekken series comes from the many, many small and precise situations that arrive constantly during a game. If you're off axis by a little bit, that one combo you work your rear end off to do might not work right. Recognizing when things are going to be weird like that is where experience comes in.

If that statement is accurate, then it's safe to say the game is more about the varied situations than it is about the characters. At least, that is probably true for the kind of play we'll be seeing as we learn. Even if you're playing someone complex, you'll probably do just fine picking up a basic routine of combos and not worry/focus about how to execute all of his unique maneuvers.

I think you're half right but it's not the whole story. Yes, super specific knowledge of situations and strings is a big part of why experience matters, but generally when people say a certain character isn't good for beginners, it's for one of these reasons:

1. The character has high execution requirements that are a core part of their gameplay at higher levels (Mishimas, Nina, King, Bryan)
2. The character relies on a complex system of parlor tricks or highly situational moves that work insofar as they subvert what other characters are expected to do (Yoshi, Ling, Hwoarang, Raven, Capos, etc.)
3. The character just has kind of an overwhelming set of options that's a lot to take on as a newcomer (Hwoarang, King, maybe Steve)

If you're new to Tekken, characters from category 1 will turn the steep learning curve into a brick wall. If you're ready to just go beast mode on practice and not give up, you can still learn the game and be effective with those characters, especially if you're already pretty good at other FGs. I think Zerp more or less started with TTT2, and saw reasonable success playing Mishimas, for example.

Characters from category 2 are just more likely to have lots of goofy poo poo that will distract you from really learning the game right, and as soon as the parlor tricks don't work on someone, you'll have no idea what to do because you don't actually know which of your moves are good. Again, you can pick one of these characters, but someone who says "I've never played Tekken but I really want to be Yoshimitsu" is someone I don't think is ever going to be very good at Tekken.

Category 3 is probably the least pernicious, provided you can just focus on getting down some of the basics and be patient about building out your skillset. King has like the biggest move list in the game, but you don't have to be able to iSW to play him at low/mid level, and you don't need to memorize every chain throw or learn every move.

Jmcrofts posted:

So with all the above being said, Steve doesn't have harsh execution requirements and he's not a monkey cheese character like Yoshi or Ling. He just has an unusual mechanic in that his kick buttons are dodges, but I think you can totally pick him up as a first or second character and learn to work with him.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Game not even out yet and already two players banned off the UK pre-tour for collusion

https://clips.twitch.tv/PhilanthropicSwissCarrotFloof

Law player couldn't have tried much harder to throw the match at the end

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

FunkMonkey posted:

I'm probably going to focus on a new main this time around and Steve is one of the ones I'm looking at. I like Feng's style too, but I don't know much about him.

Feng is a very fundamentally solid character, who you can get fancy with his autoblock stances if you're looking to style on people.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there a story reason Nina is in a wedding dress? Or does that remain to be seen, and for now it's just about people fantasizing about finally marrying the woman they've been dreaming about since she was this

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Medullah posted:

Is there a story reason Nina is in a wedding dress? Or does that remain to be seen, and for now it's just about people fantasizing about finally marrying the woman they've been dreaming about since she was this

Homage to Kill Bill? We don't know a whole bunch about the story mode, but she appears to have another, more traditional outfit as well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Man, the best thing Street Fighter 5 ever accomplished was getting me really excited to play Tekken 7. It's been so long waiting for this loving thing to come out but I'm ready to bash my head into the brick wall and try to learn this.

Does anyone know if King kept his Kazuchika Okada attire and Rain Maker from the Arcade version? I'd read that Harada was doubtful about the NJPW content seeing console release but then those customization mode clips from the console build had the NJPW Bullet Club shirt so I'm hopeful. In either case, I'm down for the ANGER of BEAST.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Meridian posted:

King seems to have a pretty simple hit confirm into that dash throw and that looks extremely satisfying to pull off. Also, how's Law? I haven't seen any high level play of him, but I might want to check him out too.

The new juggle system has made ending combos with shining wizard easier than ever. Law is one of the best characters in the game right now and can do huge damage if you master some of his stance transitions.

Policenaut posted:

Does anyone know if King kept his Kazuchika Okada attire and Rain Maker from the Arcade version? I'd read that Harada was doubtful about the NJPW content seeing console release but then those customization mode clips from the console build had the NJPW Bullet Club shirt so I'm hopeful. In either case, I'm down for the ANGER of BEAST.

The NJPW costumes were shown off in the console version during a stream recently. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139448286?t=1h05m44s

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bleep posted:

The NJPW costumes were shown off in the console version during a stream recently. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139448286?t=1h05m44s

Hell yeah! Thanks!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I wish I didn't enjoy Xiaoyu as much as I do because she's great fun but somewhat complicated and I can never find the time to actually learn her poo poo properly.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Unlucky7 posted:

Dang, I haven't payed these games since 5 and now I feel like playing Tekken. Is using PS Now a good way to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2?

nope! (it's laggy)

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 10, 2017

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yep!
basically, PS3 sticks will work on PS4 but PS1/2 converters won't. X360 sticks don't work on XB1 for the usual reasons, PC compatibility will be discussed closer to release.

I think they're running their own compatibility driver and not the Lab Zero driver so I don't know what that means for PCB-modded PS3 sticks.
Equal parts relieved and disappointed that I don't need to finally buy a PS4 stick.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i need tekken lore. who is Bronson Tran and why is he trash talking poongko in this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mpXOYL25bo

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJAqvNI2t0

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This guy gets owned as hard as he owns himself huh

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
The only Bronson lore I know is the Viscant story where he talks about an ex-gf or roommate or whatever did a report on him for a college class where he (Bronson) claimed that his skill came from the fact that he masturbated daily

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

i need tekken lore. who is Bronson Tran and why is he trash talking poongko in this?

Top level tekken player, tournament organizer, and notorious poo poo talker who has been around forever.

Also cursed to never win an EVO.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

All I got from this is that King has the coolest goddamn offence in the game.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
People used to constantly confuse me for Bronson bc motherfuckers can't read so when I was finally playing against him at the local arcade he pulled out his ID to prove to me he was actually Bronson and I scumbag won the round while he was putting it back in his wallet.

But anyway Bronson is secretly a cool guy irl who just fucks around a lot and doesn't take games super serious, but when I ran into him at Evo years later he still recognized me and we caught up for a bit. He's a good guy.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
This game looks real fun and I want to learn it seriously, finally. My main problem in the past has been the movement. Give it to me straight: Can I use a pad for this or nah?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

InnercityGriot posted:

This game looks real fun and I want to learn it seriously, finally. My main problem in the past has been the movement. Give it to me straight: Can I use a pad for this or nah?

yes

there should be a flashing message in the op that says this game is pad friendly and you dont need a 400 dollar arcade controller to play

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Cool thanks, gonna have the scrubbiest Yoshimitsu of all time

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

poongko went on a tear with akuma back at evo 2016 when akuma was absolutely insanely broken so there was a bit of lingering pressure on the tekken community to put poongko in his place, even after akuma got nerfed pretty hard. and from what i understand bronson poo poo talks everyone. it's kayfabe

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

poongko went on a tear with akuma back at evo 2016 when akuma was absolutely insanely broken so there was a bit of lingering pressure on the tekken community to put poongko in his place, even after akuma got nerfed pretty hard. and from what i understand bronson poo poo talks everyone. it's kayfabe

His frame data and hitboxes have been nerfed, but he still has big damage with full meter.

http://i.imgur.com/DQfQEDR.mp4

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Real hurthling! posted:

this is strong style

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

yo mamma a Horus posted:

this is strong style

More attitude era imo

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Bronson seems funny and good and that level of poo poo-talking seems pretty tame all things considered

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

DoubleDonut posted:

Bronson seems funny and good and that level of poo poo-talking seems pretty tame all things considered

*Activates nerd rage mode* UHM ACKSHUALLY ALL TRASH TALK IS BAD

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

*Activates nerd rage mode* UHM ACKSHUALLY ALL TRASH TALK IS BAD

stop positng

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Gonna share some generally important lessons for newer peeps that I've learned from playing Tekken and 3D fighting games in general over the years . Some/all of this might seem super obvious but I promise each of these bullet points was a genuine fuckin' epiphany for me at some point:
  • Learn your punishes first - If you can't consistently punish unsafe moves then people WILL abuse them against you. Make sure you can at least attempt to do basic punishment, which includes knowing which moves you can actually punish with a combo instead of a single hit or string.
  • Block high, react to lows - This is kind of upside-down from 2D games. Your general goal on defense is to default to stand blocking to defend against highs and mids, and react to throws with a break input and react to lows (which are generally slowish moves) with a low block or low parry (then punish).
  • Mids are the baseline of your offense - As above, lows are generally slower/riskier, and High hitting moves generally have great properties but will always have the liability of being duckable which can lead to punishes/interrupts of varying severity. You need to threaten with mid hitting attacks very often to keep the opponent honest.
  • Strings that include highs after the first hit are mostly bad - Corollary to the previous point, but anytime you show the opponent a canned string that includes an obvious high (or low, for that matter) you're asking to get hit. There are strings that allow you to do different inputs to mix between a high or mid or even a low, or sometimes a stance change, and those are generally fine pressure tools. But if you try to use a mid-high thing as a go-to poke you're gonna get bopped.
  • Learn to convert off wall hits - Something that really intimidated me about learning TTT2 was figuring out how to alter my combos to include walls, but it turns out this is really easy. Every character will have 1 or 2 moves/strings that are basically meant to "pick up" a combo on an opponent that splats on a wall and you basically just go straight into this ASAP when the wall hit happens, then finish with a combo ender. Then it's oki as usual, that's it.

I hope that's helpful to somebody! Please ask questions if anything is unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

Bleep posted:

His frame data and hitboxes have been nerfed, but he still has big damage with full meter.

http://i.imgur.com/DQfQEDR.mp4

I saw this yesterday too, I'm hoping since that's from a month ago they know about it and it won't be in the home version, even with full meter a 95% combo is probably a little much