Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

iospace posted:

So, the highly essential but even more so under appreciated parts of the game?

Also the things he never had in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sporting News says ESPN has let Jerome Bettis go.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Sporting News says ESPN has let Jerome Bettis go.

I guess they put him on A Bus :dadjoke:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mark Lazarus, the NBC Sports chairman, says they're looking at changing commercial blocks (fewer blocks that run longer) in order to get rid of the dreaded touchdown-commercial-touchback-commercial block, and said there's talk about the Thursday night games diluting the product. The latter part is interesting but perhaps a bit of gamesmanship since NBC would certainly like the rights themselves, but it's interesting nonetheless.

E: There's less than 0 chance they reduce the number of spots but man you can't help but wonder if that's going to make the live experience a little more annoying. At some point you're going to have players standing around for 4-5 minutes not doing poo poo.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Is it completely unfeasible to do in-game advertising as part of the broadcast graphics ala soccer? I mean, the NFL already bullies their way around everything else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Is it completely unfeasible to do in-game advertising as part of the broadcast graphics ala soccer? I mean, the NFL already bullies their way around everything else.

That's already part of it (live reads, graphic pop-ups, etc) but soccer is its own unique animal since there aren't really stoppages in play aside from halftime.

At some point with those you reach saturation and just increase prices on the spots themselves.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

DJExile posted:

Mark Lazarus, the NBC Sports chairman, says they're looking at changing commercial blocks (fewer blocks that run longer) in order to get rid of the dreaded touchdown-commercial-touchback-commercial block, and said there's talk about the Thursday night games diluting the product. The latter part is interesting but perhaps a bit of gamesmanship since NBC would certainly like the rights themselves, but it's interesting nonetheless.

E: There's less than 0 chance they reduce the number of spots but man you can't help but wonder if that's going to make the live experience a little more annoying. At some point you're going to have players standing around for 4-5 minutes not doing poo poo.

The live experience already blows in that regard.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

DJExile posted:

That's already part of it (live reads, graphic pop-ups, etc) but soccer is its own unique animal since there aren't really stoppages in play aside from halftime.

At some point with those you reach saturation and just increase prices on the spots themselves.

There's a ridiculous amount of in-game advertising in soccer, it's just on hoardings round the perimeter of the pitch that after a while you tend to forget that they're even there. It's also amusing when England play away at some random Balkan country and you see adverts on the digital hoardings for English companies

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

There's a ridiculous amount of in-game advertising in soccer, it's just on hoardings round the perimeter of the pitch that after a while you tend to forget that they're even there. It's also amusing when England play away at some random Balkan country and you see adverts on the digital hoardings for English companies

The NFL has those, too. The NBA, as well. In fact, they have those hoardings around the front of the balconies, too. There is nary a surface that doesn't have an advert on it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Solomon Wilcots has left CBS's NFL coverage

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

they had this for 1? game

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

they had this for 1? game

A bunch of teams did it in preseason one year I think? Honestly I'll sit through PAT > commercial > Kickoff > commercial > end of quarter any number of times before I'd want to see it again.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

A bunch of teams did it in preseason one year I think? Honestly I'll sit through PAT > commercial > Kickoff > commercial > end of quarter any number of times before I'd want to see it again.

They're changing that this year though, although who knows how well.

Personally I'd rather be able to see the game than some corporate branding dazzle camouflage on the field, even with the current commercial structure.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Disney announced earnings just now

Some ESPN-related notes

https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/862037196366381056
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/862038686107668486
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/862043519548108801
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/862049414805934082
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/862050063048220673
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/862053184063320064

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 9, 2017

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Good: More options and customization for standalone streaming packages.
Bad: ESPN could fire pretty much everyone and not make up the difference on that lost revenue. I don't see how ESPN people will take the risks necessary to make anything new or interesting in this environment, especially when previous firings had little to do with talent or output.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Countdown until all the on camera talent at ESPN are leggy blondes...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Josh Lyman posted:

ESPN, where not just the takes are hot!

:suicide:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Speak of the devil, some guy made a good video about how ESPN's business model kinda set themselves up for failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYRs8-Fmtlk

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's an OTT?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Probably over the top service?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Josh Lyman posted:

Blonde but ethnically ambiguous to cover all demographics, instagram style

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Probably over the top service?

Yeah, that's the buzzword for online-only services

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

Blonde but ethnically ambiguous to cover all demographics, instagram style

ESPN literally becomes Stephen A screaming 24 hours a day while Molly Qeirm is the only one shown on camera.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/hartfordcourant/status/862279885301133312

I feel some sick humour coming from this

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I heard that his wife was actually on her way to trade in their 2003 Lexus SC convertible for a 2017 CT HatchBACKBACKBACKBACKBACK

e: RUMBLIN BUMBLIN CRUMPLIN

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 10, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I heard that his wife was actually on her way to trade in their 2003 Lexus SC convertible for a 2017 CT HatchBACKBACKBACKBACKBACK

e: RUMBLIN BUMBLIN CRUMPLIN
I'm chuckled

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I don't know where she was driving to, but I know she did. Not. Go. All. The. Way.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
All Berman can do now is hold his head high and try to just keep positive. Life goes on. What can you deux deux deux?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Thoughts and prayers to the Berman household.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

that's the worst lay off yet

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

What the hell can ESPN even do though? You can't afford the rights fees, but you need those rights to keep your ad rates high and also to justify the carrier cost. How do you counter that?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Speak of the devil, some guy made a good video about how ESPN's business model kinda set themselves up for failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYRs8-Fmtlk

This is dead on too. They've fallen in to the trap of not having reporters and turning literally everyone into a pundit. Their on air talent is either people who shout all the time or just plain boring. The presentation is poo poo and bloated. I really don't think the network can be fixed as it currently exists and I think it's only a matter of time before Skipper goes because that's how these things work.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The punditry stuff is stupid but I really don't think it's a huge factor. The issues are that people who never cared to watch the network in the first place now have ways to watch their shows without a cable package that gives money to ESPN and their primary purpose, news and highlights, has been usurped by the internet and smartphones so they aren't the number one destination for stuff people care about anymore, at least not the traditional network itself.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

She was probably driving a Tesla and got confused when she couldn't find a SUPAH CHARGA

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a fairly long but fantastic read about how Schapp and Ley are approaching E:60 as a "Sports Reporters" replacement

quote:

“You can never go wrong respecting the intelligence of your audience,” Ley stated.

The show will also allow Ley and Schaap to do some new things as well, with room for commentary from the pair and dialogue with reporters and producers. And it will attempt to tell a wide range of stories. The debut episode this week features Schaap with a profile of Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott and Steve Fainaru with an in-depth report on soccer in Syria. Next week’s episode will be an hour-long program centered on Ryan Leaf.

It’s almost reminiscent of a Wide World of Sports mentality, spanning the globe to bring the constant variety of sport. In fact, the one story Ley and Schaap glowed about the most was about the youngest qualifier for the National Spelling Bee.

“It’s Little Miss Sunshine with a dictionary. It’s outstanding, it really is. It’s not going to lead the show and it won’t be the longest piece of the show, but it might be the most memorable. Or it might not be. But it’ll leave you with a smile,” Ley said.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bob Ley feels like that type of person who if he wasn't at ESPN, could easily switch to a program like 60 Minutes and he wouldn't miss a beat.

Anyway, cross post from IndyCar

WindyMan posted:

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/140320-indycar-s-stream-dream

quote:

"Opening day of the season, we had a full-field test at PIR, and we, with a single camera and no voiceover, just the sound of an engine and the sweet look of a car going fast, had hundreds of thousands of viewers," he said. "Over the two days of testing, it was 700,000 to 800,000 uniques. And we knew we were finally tapping into something really special.

"It went from having 50,000 people to 100,000 people in our early streams, to all of the sudden over two days at PIR we have about 800,000 unique viewers. That kind of growth was just surprising. Not in the sense that we didn't think we would get there, but how quickly it got there."

Although IndyCar will continue with its current routine of free practice (and occasional) qualifying streams prior to the broadcast (or authenticated streams) on race day, O'Donnell says live streaming will be a central negotiation topic when the current TV agreements conclude after the 2018 season.

"You look to where we are now, and, in fact, any sport in the nation today that is negotiating a contract, there is interest that we have seen from Amazon, from Facebook, and other entities that we haven't seen in the past," he revealed. "You can't deny that there's something very interesting happening with IndyCar that shows the future of broadcast and other forms of media that we haven't seen the likes of in a long time.

Like I said last week, Indycar has a lot of leverage going into TV negotiations next year because it knows it has a lot of eager eyeballs ready to watch Indycar practice, let alone the races. And this was before Alonsomania! I stand behind my statement of eating my hat if Indycar does anything streaming-only domestically, but I still believe Indy can use streaming rights as a carrot to get more races on broadcast TV, which is the next best thing to streaming online.

It's nice to see a major sport (yes, I consider Indy major) understand the value of streaming, and realizing it's A. the future, and B. a bargaining chip.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's an awkward bargaining chip (at least for now) since some advertisers may not care about stream audiences if they're in countries that they don't do business in, but yeah it's good to see the attitude shifting in any event.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/TurnerSportsPR/status/862435038855561216

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A ratings increase like that kind of makes medicore regular season ratings worth it. And TNT at least still gets a decent ad rate for their coverage.

Although maybe next CBA they shift some of those Monday regular season games to TruTV or something.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

iospace posted:

Bob Ley feels like that type of person who if he wasn't at ESPN, could easily switch to a program like 60 Minutes and he wouldn't miss a beat.

Anyway, cross post from IndyCar

Like I said last week, Indycar has a lot of leverage going into TV negotiations next year because it knows it has a lot of eager eyeballs ready to watch Indycar practice, let alone the races. And this was before Alonsomania! I stand behind my statement of eating my hat if Indycar does anything streaming-only domestically, but I still believe Indy can use streaming rights as a carrot to get more races on broadcast TV, which is the next best thing to streaming online.

It's nice to see a major sport (yes, I consider Indy major) understand the value of streaming, and realizing it's A. the future, and B. a bargaining chip.
[/quote]

I think this just shows that a lot of race fans just want fast, loud cars with no talking over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Akileese posted:

I think this just shows that a lot of race fans just want fast, loud cars with no talking over them.

Last year at the Indy 500, the approach to the start line and the opening lap was silent announcers. Dunno if it was production loving up or planned, but it was cool.