Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I'm reading the thread from the beginning and there are some real nuggets of gold in there. Like a guy figuring out that eating a shifter allows a titan to regain their humanity way back around chapter 47 and pretty much all responses to his post shout it down as a dumb idea with no proof :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
You know, watching with hindsight I've come to realize that Isayama is really loving good at the whole structuring a narrative thing. He's either a master of picking up old details and turning them into plot points or he's been carefully seeding scenes and details with foreshadowing and multiple layers since the very beginning (including plenty of elements that are only conveyed in image form, like the physical resemblances between characters!) and jesus christ wasn't this his first published manga anyways.

It really elevated the experience of watching S2 with the benefit of hindsight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Really, I just credit him with making the main character a really angry little poo poo. Eren improves nearly every scene he's in by losing his poo poo to a comical degree.

"Eren come with us and no one gets hurt."

":shepface:I am going to murder the gently caress out of all you.:shepface:"

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

AradoBalanga posted:

I want to say "yes", but it could easily resurface now that the Ackermans have been revealed to be indirectly tied to the research on titans.

Yeah but that's the Ackermans. Since in a brilliant subversion of expectations, while the Token Japanese character is a superhuman, its due to genetic manipulation and the Asian side of her ancestry is (presumably) completely normal people who just happened to immigrate to Upside-Down Southern Africa over 100 years ago.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Hahahahaha, at one point someone posted a quick translation of the chinese raws for chapter 49. A guy or two catch onto Bertold calling the people inside the walls (or, specifically survey corps chasing them) descendants of demons after Armin bullshits him about Annie being tortured, start makng some theories from there and get berated for reading too much into a fan translaton. Some fourty chapters later we learn about Marley and Eldians.

Really, the most hilarious thing to me isn't how wrong people's theories were at the time because that's a given. It's how many people either came close to the truth or reasoned it out entirely correctly and were completely ignored.

Nooooo, Eren couldn't have eaten his dad when he first transformed, that'd be dumb:laffo:

E: Analysing some of the post, what derailed a lot of the speculation from the right track and straight into a wall was that can of herring in the Utgard Castle.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 8, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yeah but that's the Ackermans. Since in a brilliant subversion of expectations, while the Token Japanese character is a superhuman, its due to genetic manipulation and the Asian side of her ancestry is (presumably) completely normal people who just happened to immigrate to Upside-Down Southern Africa over 100 years ago.

No it was both the Asians and the Ackermans that were immune to the memory manipulation. Though maybe that was just because the Asian bloodline isn't Eldian, which presumably means Mikasa wouldn't titanize very well since she's only half Eldian.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Aumanor posted:

E: Analysing some of the post, what derailed a lot of the speculation from the right track and straight into a wall was that can of herring in the Utgard Castle.

They weren't even red.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
How many times did I post saying dumb stuff, because I think I was firmly in the camp of "Christ you people make too many theories".

Consider me schooled.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, I too was one of the guys who would make fun of people who made theories off of small stuff. Guess I'm the jackass in the end.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Uh question regarding Titan lifespan. If Reiner and Zeke have a 13 year limit, does that mean Armin and Eren are gonna croak in ten or so?

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
It's been nearly a year since I've last checked this thread and I am curious how the story has progressed but not sure I want to slog through all of the pages. Is there somewhere I can find a story recap?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Gaj posted:

Uh question regarding Titan lifespan. If Reiner and Zeke have a 13 year limit, does that mean Armin and Eren are gonna croak in ten or so?

Armin's got around 9 years left.

Eren's got less than 4.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

How many times did I post saying dumb stuff, because I think I was firmly in the camp of "Christ you people make too many theories".

Consider me schooled.

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, I too was one of the guys who would make fun of people who made theories off of small stuff. Guess I'm the jackass in the end.

I'm only on page 136 of the thread (early October 2013), and I don't recall many posts from either of you until that point, but since you were both kind enough to paint big targets on your backs I'll make sure to quote you here if I find anything good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gaj posted:

Armin has 9 and Eren has 4, yes.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

RatHat posted:

No it was both the Asians and the Ackermans that were immune to the memory manipulation. Though maybe that was just because the Asian bloodline isn't Eldian, which presumably means Mikasa wouldn't titanize very well since she's only half Eldian.

Well yeah she's "special" in that Asians are not Eldian, and the Ackermans seemingly are, but in some special and different way that makes them super soldiers after a traumatic event triggers a mini-quickening in them.

I remember I suspected Mikasa and Levi were pseudo-Jewish since they're a non-default ethnicity, rendering them immune to bloodline-based min control, and dude's named Levi.
Then it turns out everybody in the wall is a pseudo-Jew.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I gotta say I really appreciate getting the original titan back actually being just a geopolitical PR stunt for Marley

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

I'm looking at getting "Attack on Titan (Collections) (21 Book Series)" on Amazon. The product page lists all 21 volumes, yet the description says "Subscribe to this series and get chapters automatically delivered to your library when they're released. You won't get any prior issues, backlist items, or collections. New chapters only." Despite the bolded part, I would still get the entire manga to date, right?

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If I wanted to get in to the manga at around the point where the anime is at now (Reiner/Bert reveal), which issue would that be?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Balthesar posted:

If I wanted to get in to the manga at around the point where the anime is at now (Reiner/Bert reveal), which issue would that be?

Chapter 43 would be right after the last episode ended.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Don't think this has been posted yet but reading the MS translation, was Zeke's secret (besides rear end wiping techniques) that he never told Marley that he was Royal Blood, even though Kreuger assumed he would?

Also:

Falco is related to a Revolutionary, and seems to imply Colt (and thus Zeke's wife) are Grices too. I'd assume all the Grices would've been exterminated being related to Grisha's comrade. Did Zeke protect them somehow?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I pointed out the Grice connection earlier (they're supposedly spelled the same in the Korean translation?). The thing about Zeke hiding his royal blood was floating around reddit but I don't think anyone else mentioned it here. I don't think that Zeke is Colt/Falco's father -- from what I can tell that was a translation flub where Zeke was referring to himself as Grisha's son, not referring to Colt as his own son.

I do think both connections are notable though. Falco being related to the original Grice is important because we're already seeing Falco go against the mold, so it would make sense that he's related to a revolutionary and harboring goals that don't align with the Marley government. Zeke's royal blood seems to be his secret, and it would imply that he intends to betray Marley at some point in the next year, although I don't think that necessarily means allying with the Walldians. Obviously he's got some conflicting motivations, but if he had intended to join the folks on Paradis he's had more than a few chances.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nina posted:

I gotta say I really appreciate getting the original titan back actually being just a geopolitical PR stunt for Marley
well there's also the blurb about the island having a bunch of resources

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

well there's also the blurb about the island having a bunch of resources

those buried resources are actually giant robots piloted by titans

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think "resources" was just ambiguous language that ultimately refers to the titan power and was not meant to mean, like, fossil fuels.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schwarzwald posted:

I think "resources" was just ambiguous language that ultimately refers to the titan power and was not meant to mean, like, fossil fuels.

No it literally said "fossil fuels" in the Crunchyroll translation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Aw, dang. Howabout that.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Fossil fuels is code for ancient titan: model dinosaur

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why the gently caress is Zeke running with giant dinosaurs and whales and poo poo in the OP?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They're giant beasts, I think that's about it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Schwarzwald posted:

Aw, dang. Howabout that.

It's kinda foreshadowed when you consider the season 1 info cards mentioned how all the industry needed to make the 3DMG is at the center, including the resource extraction. That's only viable if those are some really rich pockets of various resources all crammed in a small area.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
IIRC they specifically mentioned the interior was rich in natural gas used as fuel for the 3d gear. I had just assumed it was that.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's prolly mainly that, although it must have some bitching ore deposits too for the production of disposable steel.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, I remember it's mentioned that the material for the "super hard blades" can only be found in the interior of the walls.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JahRoo posted:

Zeke's royal blood seems to be his secret, and it would imply that he intends to betray Marley at some point in the next year, although I don't think that necessarily means allying with the Walldians. Obviously he's got some conflicting motivations, but if he had intended to join the folks on Paradis he's had more than a few chances.

This just occurred to me, but he most likely knows his royal blood would allow him to use the power of the original titan, but maybe not that it would make him a slave to the collective consciousness of past kings. What are the odds he's hoping to take it for himself? Maybe he's legitimately hoping to fulfill his father's wish of using it's power to free his people.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why the gently caress is Zeke running with giant dinosaurs and whales and poo poo in the OP?

Apex predators

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, I remember it's mentioned that the material for the "super hard blades" can only be found in the interior of the walls.

Didn't one of the side stories reveal the material to be super hard bamboo?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That sounds incredibly stupid so probably hopefully not

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pyrotoad posted:

Didn't one of the side stories reveal the material to be super hard bamboo?

Wanst it made using Eren armored ability?

edit: vvvv I know, but I vaguely remember the spears being made of the hardened ability material, or something like that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 11, 2017

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Elias_Maluco posted:

Wanst it made using Eren armored ability?

The walls were, I'm talking about the swords.

edit: I think the spears were like the walls as well, you're right there.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

is it bad that the manga thread isn't clearly named for anime watchers