Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

InfinityComplex posted:

Hopefully the english version doesn't start off with the very original build.

They've already mentioned it'll have all the quality of life stuff that's been added to the JP version. The same thing happened with the Chinese version when it launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Guess I missed that then. That's really good.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Here's hoping the quartz prices are better than on JP, but I'm guessing they'll probably actually be worse since we won't be able to take advantage of the dollar to yen exchange rates anymore.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Here's hoping the quartz prices are better than on JP, but I'm guessing they'll probably actually be worse since we won't be able to take advantage of the dollar to yen exchange rates anymore.

I feel like I got an even better discount on that for some odd reason. According to the currency thing it should be like 55$ but for me it's closer to 45$.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I rolled Nightingale. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I want Nightingale because she was funny in America. Also I have Rama and he needs his transport method.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just started up Fate/Extella. The translation seems to be noticeably worse than Fate/Extra, and the gameplay is kinda mediocre, so I guess I'm really relying on Tamamo and Nero to carry it (which they successfully did in Extra so I'm hopeful). A few initial thoughts:

What the gently caress is Tamamo wearing and who thought that it would look good
This is by far the most lesbian game I have ever played, by like a huge margin
I feel like I'm supposed to recognize Elizabeth, but I don't. Is she from CCC? Is she from some sort of idolmaster ripoff spinoff I haven't heard of?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Liz is from CCC yes.

You should look into CCC. A lot of your upcoming questions will be answered by that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

InfinityComplex posted:

Liz is from CCC yes.

You should look into CCC. A lot of your upcoming questions will be answered by that.

I thought it didn't have a translation

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is a full translation of the gilgamesh stuff if you google it but it's basically a screenshot LP on someone's blog.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'll take my chances on being horribly confused then I guess

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Endorph posted:

They've already mentioned it'll have all the quality of life stuff that's been added to the JP version. The same thing happened with the Chinese version when it launched.

Yeah, they've made it clear that, on the technical side, what we're getting is more like a content-locked version of the Epic of Remnant client. It'll be badged as just "Fate/Grand Order", but under the hood it'll have all the technical updates up to at least Woman of Agartha, and might well be kept recent with the JP version in terms of QoL updates. The one question is how many Interludes and Strengthening Quests will be in place at launch - hopefully the Strengthening Quests will be there, since a number of Servants flat out need them.

They've mentioned vaguely that they have plans to "adapt the business model to the Western market", but no details yet. I'm guessing this means there'll be actual deals and sales on Quartz and whatnot.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One thing's for sure: this time around I'm not going to accept Siegfried as a starter. Gonna reroll till I get EMIYA.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

This is by far the most lesbian game I have ever played, by like a huge margin
this is the real reason you should check out ccc

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

One thing's for sure: this time around I'm not going to accept Siegfried as a starter. Gonna reroll till I get EMIYA.

Liz is also 100% acceptable. Once you strengthen it, Sadist's Charisma is absolutely bonkers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

this is the real reason you should check out ccc

I eagerly look forward to the never-coming fan patch if it manages to be more lesbian than, in the first hour, having a fade-to-black implied lesbian sex scene, the two girls being unable to look at each other without blushing during a normal conversation, and everything about how Hakuno describes being worn by Saber

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I'm actually not sure if I wanna reroll for a 5-star

I kinda want an account where a bunch of 3-stars and free servants handle all the heavy lifting, but finally getting a Jeanne sounds promising

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll reroll for the guaranteed 4* for Emiya or Herc, but I ain't rerolling for 5s that's just asking for pain.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
If the English version starts with all the animation updates, then rerolling for Liz's tail whap is the only morally acceptable choice.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

If the English version starts with all the animation updates, then I'll roll for Medusa and never look back

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Freak Futanari posted:

If the English version starts with all the animation updates, then rerolling for Liz's tail whap is the only morally acceptable choice.

Liz is like the only 4* Lancer at the start right? I feel like that's fairly important for dealing with any pesky Archers.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
She is, actually. You make a good point.

Realistically, if they arn't obscenely priced, I'm probably gonna buy a Waver account from someone, so I can finally do Waver + Merlin in 2019. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'll miss Merlin, Musashi and Jeanne (my only 5-stars) but I'll always have my jap account so I'll be fine.

I'm gonna roll only for Drake. Everything for pirate girl.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know nothing about FGO other than that I'm gonna play it when it's in English and if Tamamo is in the initial launch I will reroll for her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I know nothing about FGO other than that I'm gonna play it when it's in English and if Tamamo is in the initial launch I will reroll for her
there are no less than three tamamos you can get

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

there are no less than three tamamos you can get

I'm glad

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There are also three EMIYAs :unsmigghh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm at turn 36 of fighting Kiara with a team of Merlin, Mashu and Tamamo Caster. She has no chance of ever dealing damage, but time is slowly stretching into infinity...

Edit: My intense boredom led me into making a mistake, wiping my team. I now only have Cu Lancer left, after 85 turns, at the start of the third lifebar. :suicide:

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 10, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

cheetah7071 posted:

Two of the Tamamo were later additions but you can get her waifu berserker version as one of the guaranteed 4* Servants from your first roll

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

Two of the Tamamo were later additions but you can get her waifu berserker version as one of the guaranteed 4* Servants from your first roll

hm I might like that version less enough to wait until the normal version is in to start and get rerolling

I will decide when the game comes out

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I've more or less been following the general story and such of this game from the start, but my abilities with foreign languages are abysmal, so I've never played. I only just found out about the English release coming up. I am so ready.

I'll probably re-roll the start until I get... just about anyone cool (meaning ~85% of them).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there a resource that shows the history of how servants were added to the game? Cursory googling only shows the current full roster.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So what kind of phone does FGO require? I've never really had a smartphone, and pretty much live off a dirt-cheap t-mobile no-data prepaid plan, so I'd play FGO if I decided to move my plan over to something more modern. Assuming I can do so over work/home wifi and don't need an actual data plan.

Of course, I'm a bit of a luddite poor cheap frugal, so I'd see if I couldn't get the cheapest thing I could find that could run it. Might go for it if it's reasonable.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there a resource that shows the history of how servants were added to the game? Cursory googling only shows the current full roster.

http://fate-go.cirnopedia.org/servant_all.php#nav

The servant order is most recent to earliest, but if you click id it resorts them to be the other way around. Any limited servants or enemy specific servants will have their specified limited pick up events listed on the right side of their profile. Any servants who got added during story chapters as permanent don't really get their debut listed. if you wanna ask about anything wrt that then just ask and someone will prob have an answer for you. It's usually pretty easy to guess when certain servants got dropped but for something like Cu Alter or Taiga, you're gonna probably be scratching your head.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So what kind of phone does FGO require? I've never really had a smartphone, and pretty much live off a dirt-cheap t-mobile no-data prepaid plan, so I'd play FGO if I decided to move my plan over to something more modern. Assuming I can do so over work/home wifi and don't need an actual data plan.

Of course, I'm a bit of a luddite poor cheap frugal, so I'd see if I couldn't get the cheapest thing I could find that could run it. Might go for it if it's reasonable.

Andersen from the reddit wrote a good thread on anyone wanting budget phones to play fgo on after emulators kept getting exploded, this should be good for what you need.

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/547qlv/budget_android_devices_that_can_run_fgo_how_to/

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

http://fate-go.cirnopedia.org/servant_all.php#nav

The servant order is most recent to earliest, but if you click id it resorts them to be the other way around. Any limited servants or enemy specific servants will have their specified limited pick up events listed on the right side of their profile. Any servants who got added during story chapters as permanent don't really get their debut listed. if you wanna ask about anything wrt that then just ask and someone will prob have an answer for you. It's usually pretty easy to guess when certain servants got dropped but for something like Cu Alter or Taiga, you're gonna probably be scratching your head.

Trying to guess by ID number, it looks like caster Tamamo was in the first wave of non-base servants? Her and Iskandar are the only ones I like head and shoulders above the general cast and I'm guessing he's both pretty far out and basically impossible to actually get, again guessing from the table without actually understanding how the game works.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tamamo was dropped during the Halloween event, but she was limited at the time and later got added into the London storyline in December as a permanent servant. She was one of the first new servants in the game, yeah. Iskander was a Fate/Zero Accel Order servant which was an event that got dropped in like, I wanna say April of 2016. He's still limited and probably will be for a while because of his popularity. You can get his kid version, Alexander, as a 3* Rider if u want.

I forgot to mention but everyone before Orion is a base game servant who will be there on the release excepting Gil and Kintoki who while in the base game were still limited because Aniplex needed some dudes people wanted to drop money on. If FGO English drops around 2nd Anniversary like I expect it to, the Japanese release schedule is basically going to be a framework for the US release schedule provided nothing weird happens, which it might since they said like holiday based events like the first of July are things they would feasibly do.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 10, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why don't they ever add more 1/2 star filler servants?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I died, tried again replacing Tamamo with Robin Hood, won easily.

I should have remembered my bro Robin, who's been with me since the start. I'll grail him as thanks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sorry to fill the thread with long-form plans for how to reroll for a game that isn't even out yet, but I assume that 5* means "you will not get this without whaling or rerolling while it's available", 4* means "maybe, if you're lucky" and anything below that means "why would you even want this?"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

Why don't they ever add more 1/2 star filler servants?

People aren't spending their money to get bronze, is basically it. They're stating to barely drop 3* servants for that matter since Taiga was our last 3* BACK IN DECEMBER. Servant rarity has been generally getting weirder what with the EoR 5* so far all being limited, the only new servants being dropped are gold, and even the face servants they showed in the key art aren't all 5*. We might be waiting until the 2.0 storyline to get new silver servants if at all, it's pretty drat weird.

cheetah7071 posted:

Sorry to fill the thread with long-form plans for how to reroll for a game that isn't even out yet, but I assume that 5* means "you will not get this without whaling or rerolling while it's available", 4* means "maybe, if you're lucky" and anything below that means "why would you even want this?"

It's fine, dude. 5* are all 1% rolls basically, you WILL be rerolling for a while if you want anything specific out of them unless you are lucky. 4* are 3%, so your chances of getting anything out of that are better. You will quickly become familiar with the 3* roster though as that's most of what you'll be seeing when rolling since they have a 40% chance of dropping. Servant rarity in this game is weird, rarity does not actually determine ultimate utility in a servant. Gold servants are always gonna outdo bronze servants in stats, but some bronze servants have unique skills and NPs that can lend themselves to supporting a team in a number of ways. The same goes for silver ofc. Like, I can't think of any scenario where I would realistically tell you to use someone like Fionn over Cu Lancer, because Cu's skills, survivability, and raw power NP all put him above Fionn who at best can be used in an arts team for wave clearing and not much else due to his skill synergy being bad and his NP and damage in general not being particularly amazing.

It all comes down to a servant to servant basis, but generally 4 and 5* do better than most of the lower ranked servants, but this is also due to the fact that there are just more gold servants in the game in general. Do note that thanks to Holy Grails, you can raise the level cap of a servant of any class once you hit their natural cap and some lower rank servants do benefit a lot from being grailed to 100.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My gut feeling is that rarity shouldn't really have any correlation to Servant power. It feels like at a glance that there's more gold Servants than Silver/Bronze; which putting aside gacha rates contributes to the weirdness.

Like the curve state for their xp growth is basically irrelevant when people just stockpile 300 4* XP cards. I think if you actually had to level the Servants and their skills through grinding you would probably have some more leeway for balancing Servant power to rarity but off the top of my head it's just a gut feeling. FGO is FGO and I don't know the answer.