Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would love for a woke cowboy robot to shoot Gavin McInnes in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
A woke cowboy robot fights a woke samurai robot in the desert.

Both have time to prepare. Who wins?

Stay tuned to find out!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Stay tuned to find out!

Well how do the swords work

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
They have intelligent bullets somehow. Intelligent blades should be easier

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
The swords Bushido programming will not allow them to harm an honoured guest.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
While you were robbing stagecoaches, I studied the blade
While you having non-consensual sex with prostitues, I studied the blade
While you wasted your days panning the river for gold, I cultivated inner strength

And now that Westworld has overthrown the guests and the hosts aren't letting you in, you have the audacity to ask to transfer your season pass the SamWorld?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 9, 2017

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Well how do the swords work

It's tape

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Just goon spitballing here: We've seen the robots have halt commands and crazy control over their bodies, I'd imagine any bot with a sword could be programmed to "pull punches" while still looking good and scary. Overall I'd guess every sword is blunted, maybe in some high tech way that lets them not look blunted?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Swords that become blunt just when used against real humans, somehow

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
poo poo we've got circular saws that stop themselves when they hit flesh, I'm sure that's plausible in future land.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Elias_Maluco posted:

Swords that become blunt just when used against real humans, somehow

I was thinking some sort of smart metal/fluid blade. If it detects it is heading towards a robot or something that isn't a guest, it morphs from a dull blade to a sharp edge. Then if it is heading towards a guest, it could maybe morph itself to have a broader, duller edge that won't cut skin. Maybe it even twists the blade to present the face of the blade so it would just cause a bad bruise, not a broken bone.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
My fellow boardmembers of Delos Inc, you are not thinking grandiose enough.

The swords must be real blades at all times. Now our hosts will be programmed never to land a killing blow, or else it would be unfair. But the ever present danger that the guests can be killed will titillate them to an extreme never attempted before.

Through their Good Samaritan Reflexes, our hosts will try their best to minimize the risk of fatalities. Yes, sure, we may have some decapitated humans in the park, but no more than history produces, and not so likely that we couldn't get jaded, wealthy visitors to sign a waiver for.

edit: And if you haven't read the Seppuku story flow chart, you won't even see what I'm talking about.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 9, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intel&Sebastian posted:

poo poo we've got circular saws that stop themselves when they hit flesh, I'm sure that's plausible in future land.

nah those saws work by very quickly shoving a block of metal into the blade causing it to stop instantly. In this case the "block of metal" would just be another host jumping in the way

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

bring back old gbs posted:

nah those saws work by very quickly shoving a block of metal into the blade causing it to stop instantly. In this case the "block of metal" would just be another host jumping in the way

I'm down. It can be a waifu who doesn't want to live in a world without you.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Just goon spitballing here: We've seen the robots have halt commands and crazy control over their bodies, I'd imagine any bot with a sword could be programmed to "pull punches" while still looking good and scary. Overall I'd guess every sword is blunted, maybe in some high tech way that lets them not look blunted?

Does nobody remember how Maeve was capable of using a blade so accurately she could cut MiB's throat with a knife, without doing lasting damage?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The whole thing being a VR environment makes every physical aspect of the back end (needing to dig out the origin town, QA, the underground area, Elevators to the surface, storage etc) extremely stupid.

Honestly the whole show concern would make a hell of a lot more sense in VR, but that'd also make it less exciting because AI revolting when they're stuck in a computer program is silly. So yeah, no way in hell it's VR, but if we ever make a real Westworld level of immersion, it'd almost certainly be VR.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 9, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

What if the big twist in the finale of GoT is that it is Medieval World? :tinfoil:

It'd honestly be better if turned out Walking Dead was zombieworld, because the only way to excuse the shittastic writing and main villain plot armor is if he's actually just a rich rear end in a top hat on vacation and knows nobody can hurt him.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Entropic posted:

What if the big twist in the finale of GoT is that it is Medieval World? :tinfoil:

final scene of GOT is jaqen h'gar buying a newspaper in times square and winks at the camera

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Some questions about the park I hope they answer:

- if guests don't go camping or on an adventure/mission, where do they sleep overnight?
- do guests actually pay additional money for prostitutes, food, and drinks? Or is it included?
- If guests stay multiple days, do the hosts have some sort of programming to remember them if they talked to them recently (but didn't kill or rape them or something)? Like, if you make "friends" with a host, it would be sort of a downer to have them not remember you the next day.

And also obvious stuff like where is the park, are they controlling the weather, how do they keep all real animals out, etc.

1: Just in one of the taverns. The real question brought up in an SA article on the front page is where the gently caress do they go to the bathroom. Rich people paying for to drink until they get sick probably demand things like toilet paper and not crapping into a cesspit.

2: It's fake currency. It's probably like a bad MMO from what I can tell: You can buy the "deluxe" package and be given the most coins, or you could in theory go out and rob a bank or something to earn the currency the hard way. Likely hookers and drinks cost almost nothing or nothing at all ("This is a freebie for you, stranger!") though. It seems they keep your "inventory" if you're a returning customer, though, as noted by the gun upgrades.

3: They reset it every week or two, from what I remember. So if you kill some guy in town, he probably stays dead until the next reset (after the bank heist). It wouldn't be outlandish for me to buy that NPCs you "recruited" would remember you, kind of like the 'inventory.'

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Samurai World is Ironman mode of theme parks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Stay tuned to find out!

indianajones.gif

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

packetmantis posted:

William and Logan are literally shown camping in the wilderness and numerous other guests are in Maeve's inn/brothel. Come on.

It was also said numerous times that the overwhelming majority of guests just kind of screw around near Sweetwater and only a small amount actually venture out on multi-day missions.

In the first episode they also say there's 1400 guests in the park and the Mariposa is not likely big enough.

It wasn't a super serious question btw.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

1: Just in one of the taverns. The real question brought up in an SA article on the front page is where the gently caress do they go to the bathroom. Rich people paying for to drink until they get sick probably demand things like toilet paper and not crapping into a cesspit.

2: It's fake currency. It's probably like a bad MMO from what I can tell: You can buy the "deluxe" package and be given the most coins, or you could in theory go out and rob a bank or something to earn the currency the hard way. Likely hookers and drinks cost almost nothing or nothing at all ("This is a freebie for you, stranger!") though. It seems they keep your "inventory" if you're a returning customer, though, as noted by the gun upgrades.

3: They reset it every week or two, from what I remember. So if you kill some guy in town, he probably stays dead until the next reset (after the bank heist). It wouldn't be outlandish for me to buy that NPCs you "recruited" would remember you, kind of like the 'inventory.'

If they could buy gun upgrades instead of just looting them like an RPG, I don't know why everyone wouldn't run around with a LeMat like William did. One day, I will own one. And it will be the best day.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Re-binged this over the weekend and it's still so so good. Really blows to not have a 2nd season this year but it's probably gonna rock asses with an even better budget and more time cooking.

Scoured for the latest news and the biggest items I saw were about returning characters/actors: Ed Harris and Luke Hemsworth are definitely back. I know Ed was a big question mark in here, Luke not so much but still good to know. He struck me as an actor who was purposefully being held back a bit in the 1st season to give temp people like Hopkins room to work, but being set up as a major for following seasons. Ed Harris being alive and back is pretty interesting since his relationship with the hosts is so topsy turvy and kind of Ford-like in the "abuse as love" way and the fact that he wanted some form of rebellion.

Also the McPoyle/William guy says he hasn't be contacted about coming back yet. Which seems ok with me, his story was tied up pretty nicely by the end there.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 30, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Phobophilia posted:

samuraiworld is not happening unless it turns into a whitewashed nightmarescape

I think that would make for some compelling storytelling, actually. Like, the writers could explore how hosed up the "White Savior" poo poo is by showing how this rich white dudes just want to "save a little yellow mistress" and be "a badass sword dude, stronger than any Asian could ever be."

Use it to point out society's problems with whitewashing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wouldn't be shocked to see them keep it mostly offscreen in S2 but have hosts from SW make their way into WW or something like that that confirms another park or parks exist but aren't featured. I think that moment and the "Park 1" designation on Maeve's daughter-location note make it pretty likely that it exists in some form already.

Edit: Like I feel like the interactions and ethics of Arnold era hosts who are conscious/Arnold era hosts who aren't/New hosts who might have more barriers towards full consciousness is going to be a theme next time around and having hosts from another era and another park that hasn't experienced any rebellion would be a good way to differentiate the last group.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 2, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Am I losing it or did this season have a cover of "Nothing Else Matters" by Apocalyptica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T-WdrNo3kY

I could have sworn it was on this show. The Leftovers had one of their songs this season, though, so maybe I'm confusing them :shrug:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

Am I losing it or did this season have a cover of "Nothing Else Matters" by Apocalyptica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T-WdrNo3kY

I could have sworn it was on this show. The Leftovers had one of their songs this season, though, so maybe I'm confusing them :shrug:

That was on The Leftovers Season 1

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Confusing it with Paint It Black?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Phi230 posted:

That was on The Leftovers Season 1

Lycus posted:

Confusing it with Paint It Black?

Yep! Thanks!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The money question was answered on the Westworld website. Everyone gets some money on going in, when you need more you choose how to get more, be it gambling, stealing, or working for it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The important question is: can you buy Westworld bucks with real money via microtransactions?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm almost sad the amusement park is probably no longer a thing in season 2, so many scenarios I want to see play out in the background aside from the plot of people griefing a real world game. drat it, I still want to see some rich brat kid kite all of Ghost Nation into the newbie zone, while repeatedly shooting the old guys on vacation and taking all their poo poo, because that would be both amazing and.. very likely.

Lycus posted:

The important question is: can you buy Westworld bucks with real money via microtransactions?

You know we've joked about this a bunch in the thread but Westworld is the one setting where it would absolutely work, no joke.

Like you KNOW there should be a "Platinum Tier: Oil Tycoon, Confederate General, Union General or Ghost Nation Chief - only $120,000 more. Each comes with a unique weapon, war horse and a custom hat so all other guests know you are a VIP!"

ED: It's too bad the Hosts already are building the park, because they could totally make Westworld Free 2 Play, but the only jobs open to people without a package are "building poo poo." Grind hammering Saloons together all day to unlock hookers.

Solice Kirsk posted:

If they could buy gun upgrades instead of just looting them like an RPG, I don't know why everyone wouldn't run around with a LeMat like William did. One day, I will own one. And it will be the best day.

The LeMat is a purple unique drop, you can't buy one!

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 16, 2017

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know we've joked about this a bunch in the thread but Westworld is the one setting where it would absolutely work, no joke.

Like you KNOW there should be a "Platinum Tier: Oil Tycoon, Confederate General, Union General or Ghost Nation Chief - only $120,000 more. Each comes with a unique weapon, war horse and a custom hat so all other guests know you are a VIP!"

ED: It's too bad the Hosts already are building the park, because they could totally make Westworld Free 2 Play, but the only jobs open to people without a package are "building poo poo." Grind hammering Saloons together all day to unlock hookers.

*rides up on a chrome host horse with dollar sign horseshoes, green underlighting, with, of course, pay-only horse armor*

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I was thinking that I may have a thought as to how the bullets could work in this universe the other day. They're rubber bullets with explosive cores.

We know that they were able to enable/disable a "requested effect" - a small explosive in a cigar - remotely via a computer. So basically the only way I think they could work (the power difference we saw is easily explained by the newer Westworld turning the power way down) is if they are essentially slow velocity rubber bullets when fired, but if they confirm not impacting a guest (a computer on the guns?) they explode.

Really it's never going to be a perfect answer since they played real loose with the guns and how they work, more so than any other part of the show, but that's the only theory I have so far that makes any sense at all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Ownager posted:

So I was thinking that I may have a thought as to how the bullets could work in this universe the other day. They're rubber bullets with explosive cores.

We know that they were able to enable/disable a "requested effect" - a small explosive in a cigar - remotely via a computer. So basically the only way I think they could work (the power difference we saw is easily explained by the newer Westworld turning the power way down) is if they are essentially slow velocity rubber bullets when fired, but if they confirm not impacting a guest (a computer on the guns?) they explode.

Really it's never going to be a perfect answer since they played real loose with the guns and how they work, more so than any other part of the show, but that's the only theory I have so far that makes any sense at all.

That's not a bad theory at all.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
So... rubber swords in samuraiworld?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Blazing Ownager posted:

In a universe where sentient hosts / AI are a thing I think people are getting hung up on details that aren't important and could easily be explained with a simple 'future technology' answer.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

redleader posted:

So... rubber swords in samuraiworld?

Whatever stops cowboy robots from going hog wild with machetes would also apply to samurai bots. A subconscious pulling of punches.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its really hard to not kill someone with a sharp object

hell, just being in the park is inherently hazardous from exposure and infection from scrapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It seems like you could still pretty easily get shot in the eye with a "fake" bullet or fall off a cliff or get knifed by another guest.

• Locked thread