Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
we're here in my Designated 300 Rant Zone, where I talk about how Frank Miller is a worthless human being and all the white dorks that chortled over their popcorn and jumbo sodas while THE BROWN TIDE was reversed should have their dicks agonizingly manually ripped off by Mandy Patinkin & F. Murray Abraham (VERY, VERY SLOWLY)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm sure they exist out there but people who hate BvS but give 300 a single inch of slack should be thrown over cliffs like babies being murdered by a fundamentally worthless slaveholding culture of hicks that never gave the world anything of value other than machismo fetishism for the last X hundred years and totally got owned by 300 Thebans

I just remember when there were good reasons to hate Zack Snyder, as opposed to him making a punchman film some people thought was mediocre

picturing your avatar's face as you make this post

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

picturing your avatar's face as you make this post
this is the face I make as I type outevery post

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Punkin Spunkin posted:

we're here in my Designated 300 Rant Zone, where I talk about how Frank Miller is a worthless human being and all the white dorks that chortled over their popcorn and jumbo sodas while THE BROWN TIDE was reversed should have their dicks agonizingly manually ripped off by Mandy Patinkin & F. Murray Abraham (VERY, VERY SLOWLY)

That's really... specific.

Why those 2?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

sean10mm posted:

That's really... specific.

Why those 2?
I just want the experience to be as weird+uncomfortable+bad+painful as possible, much like watching the film 300

incidentally the first movie I saw with 300-style CG blood was Kitano's Zatoichi and holy poo poo did it nearly ruin that movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZhnS45Zexo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jupin's McDonald's story was hilarious.

Also surprised that Fassbender was that one dude. His and Butler's career trajectories sure diverged a whole hell of a lot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

Jupin's McDonald's story was hilarious.

Also surprised that Fassbender was that one dude. His and Butler's career trajectories sure diverged a whole hell of a lot.

I would've guessed that Fassbender would have been the guy doing romantic comedies, not action movies.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What if Mads Mikkelsen has just secretly wanted to be the lead in a romantic comedy his whole career

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

What if Mads Mikkelsen has just secretly wanted to be the lead in a romantic comedy his whole career

He'd do wonderfully.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

This is pretty much Hannibal.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I may have seen Sucker Punch and BvS but I can choose to avoid any of Snyder film including 300 and the upcoming Justice League

I mean drat, I really regret seeing BvS. I totally relate to Andrew's story about going to Lady In The Water and being tricked yet again.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Diary of Zack Snyder posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BLU RAY DISC INTO THE SLOT. ITS 300 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, LEONIDAS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME BROWN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ALMOST SURVIVED THE WORLD'S MOST LOPSIDED BATTLE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY FANTASY FOOTBALL LEAGUE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN FANTASY FOOTBALL LEAGUES CAN STILL BE IMMATURE HOMOS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

When I went to see 300 in theaters there was a dude sitting in the row directly in front of me, and I have never seen someone run so hot-and-cold on a movie in my entire life. 90% of the time he would be sitting there bored out of his mind, slumped in his chair with his cheek in his palm. But every time - and I mean every time - the movie would ramp up and start showing scenes that were featured in the trailer ("Tonight we dine in hell," or whatever), he would lean forward and, like, start headbanging. Long-winded discussions about mortality? Senate shenanigans? He was dead. But the second that fat baby monster with metal crab claws came on screen, my dude Stargated into his very own mosh pit.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Wilford Brimley! :neckbeard:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I dunno if he's been the lead in a romantic comedy, but he's done comedic roles and romantic roles before in Danish films.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I just read an article on Alex Jones that said one of the major advertisers on his radio show is Harry's, the shaving company. So I guess he and WHM share some demographics.

300 was at least watchable, and the dumb fist-pumping bro propaganda is at least a valid way to film a story that's been used as propaganda for thousands of years. I'd probably put it behind Watchmen on Snyder's filmography, but I'm not watching his stupid DC movies.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it's grotesque racist bullshit trash about a million times worse than anything Zack Snyder can do to Batman or Batman can do to anyone. the fact that it's propaganda or a "Story that's been told" doesn't really change that in any substantial way.
watch as the ancient Greeks (who looked like???), transformed into An Army of Whites Defending Against the Eastern Asiatic Hordes battle ancient Persians (who looked like???), transformed into Arabs, Black Dudes, Literal Monsters, Gay Panic Dhalsim, the Disabled, and with the support of Anti-War Politicians. its the sort of nascent toxic infantilism & worldview whose nihilism goes beyond bush era stupidity, and would later infect an entire generation of white manbaby gamer people...

this is the real poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTAgTCXja4Q
and it's so topsy-turvy because you've got this fascist completely twisted society that relies on often senseless brutality and slave ownership of a majority of the population and you've got this cosmopolitan ultra empire famous for real military conquest, promoting human rights and religious freedom at comparatively unheard of levels (often even when compared to modern societies), and...oh yeah, not really having slaves. oh yeah there was also the whole Cyrus freeing the Jews and getting namechecked as a messiah in the Bible thing. it's like getting media where the Confederates are portrayed as plucky heroic underdo-oh yeah I guess we do get those. It's like if the movie inside of Inglorious Basterds was a real movie.
why can't we get a movie on these guys. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tegyra just cuz it's been a lie for a long time or that racial fetishists have been distorting and jerking off to it for thousands of years doesn't mean it's cool. it's hosed up and dumb and so is frank miller. the Spartans sucked. Where were they during Marathon? Oh yeah. They didn't even always win their wars and they created a society twisted and hosed up to the point of insanity for that purpose. at least the Athenians left the world things and thoughts of value.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Count Chocula posted:

I just read an article on Alex Jones that said one of the major advertisers on his radio show is Harry's, the shaving company. So I guess he and WHM share some demographics.

People who shave?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Count Chocula posted:

Follow the money....

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I think this episode just became my go-to to introduce people to the show.

Andrew: "If I ever have to choose between 300 and Sucker Punch, just put a bullet in my teeth"

Steve: "What's the BTK Killer up to?"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it's grotesque racist bullshit trash about a million times worse than anything Zack Snyder can do to Batman or Batman can do to anyone. the fact that it's propaganda or a "Story that's been told" doesn't really change that in any substantial way.
watch as the ancient Greeks (who looked like???), transformed into An Army of Whites Defending Against the Eastern Asiatic Hordes battle ancient Persians (who looked like???), transformed into Arabs, Black Dudes, Literal Monsters, Gay Panic Dhalsim, the Disabled, and with the support of Anti-War Politicians. its the sort of nascent toxic infantilism & worldview whose nihilism goes beyond bush era stupidity, and would later infect an entire generation of white manbaby gamer people...

this is the real poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTAgTCXja4Q
and it's so topsy-turvy because you've got this fascist completely twisted society that relies on often senseless brutality and slave ownership of a majority of the population and you've got this cosmopolitan ultra empire famous for real military conquest, promoting human rights and religious freedom at comparatively unheard of levels (often even when compared to modern societies), and...oh yeah, not really having slaves. oh yeah there was also the whole Cyrus freeing the Jews and getting namechecked as a messiah in the Bible thing. it's like getting media where the Confederates are portrayed as plucky heroic underdo-oh yeah I guess we do get those. It's like if the movie inside of Inglorious Basterds was a real movie.
why can't we get a movie on these guys. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tegyra just cuz it's been a lie for a long time or that racial fetishists have been distorting and jerking off to it for thousands of years doesn't mean it's cool. it's hosed up and dumb and so is frank miller. the Spartans sucked. Where were they during Marathon? Oh yeah. They didn't even always win their wars and they created a society twisted and hosed up to the point of insanity for that purpose. at least the Athenians left the world things and thoughts of value.

That sure is a lot of words to say that it was written by Frank Miller, racist idiot. But I too am repeating myself.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

300 worked for me in the same way Starship Troopers did.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't understand why people say the movie was homophobic, if anything it's homoerotic. It's certainly the gayest thing I've seen in a theater.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

One of the heroes dismisses the Athenians as boy-lovers which is exactly as funny as it sounds considering the 'spartan lifestyle'.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

well why not posted:

One of the heroes dismisses the Athenians as boy-lovers which is exactly as funny as it sounds considering the 'spartan lifestyle'.

Yeah true but that's more a comment on pederasty

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

well why not posted:

Boy lovers is calling Athenians pedophiles, which is why the Spartans look down on them so. Dump democracy lovers just can't appreciate a nice, glistening, slab of man meat.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Pederasty was something the Athenians and Spartans were both into

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah true but that's more a comment on pederasty

yeah true, they're not identical - my bad.

The stuff with Xerxes being gay panic Dhalsim is more the point. It's definitely intentionally designed to make homophobes uncomfortable which I think is actually kinda clever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pederasty was something the Athenians and Spartans were both into

Yes, but the movie portrays the Spartans as people who don't do that. Also they aren't brutal slave owners who terrorize their slaves for fun and training. Plus apparently they are totally down with the democracy.

One might go so far as to say that Frank Miller didn't actually know poo poo about either Ancient Greece or Ancient Persia and just wrote some masturbatory justification for his racism.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

300 is an adaptation of the first two or three sentences of Thermopylae's wiki page.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

well why not posted:

300 is an adaptation of the first two or three sentences of Thermopylae's wiki page.

It's an adaptation of his vague childhood memories of the film The 300 Spartans

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
....Did anyone expect historical accuracy from this movie? like, at any time?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

God no. It's still funny to talk about.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

....Did anyone expect historical accuracy from this movie? like, at any time?

A lot of people did, bafflingly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I convinced my wife (girlfriend at the time) to see 300 in theaters by calling it historical fiction. I'm kind of still paying for that. Rightly so.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

300 is a documentary, bravely filmed on the front lines amongst rampaging rhinoceroses and hunchbacks.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's not about the idea of historical fantasy not being entirely accurate or going into the film expecting accuracy, it's how it was inaccurate, it's the fact that it's fascist racist Defender Against the Eastern Hordes garbage for white kids to fetishize and obviously a lot of those grown up kids still have the soft spot to apologize for it. "It's propaganda!", "What, u were expecting historical accuracy?" "Turn off ur brain broooooo"
Like, the rhinos and poo poo weren't the main issue here

Miiiight be more the whole "let's turn the Ancient Greek ancient Persian battle into a white race-swarthy race divide" than the loving fireballs and poo poo

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 10, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Miiiight be more the whole "let's turn the Ancient Greek ancient Persian battle into a white race-swarthy race divide" than the loving fireballs and poo poo

For your own sanity, never read Holy Terror.

Although, really, nobody should read Holy Terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I cant wait until the Chinese are funding and exporting blockbusters into western mainstream culture depicting Hordes of literally disfigured and bestial Gingers and pale white ghost devil men invading various spaces like a human plague. See how easy it is to turn your brain off
I guess they already are & they blow but it'll be fun in like 2050 telling triggered white dudes to just chill cuz it's a coooooooomic booooook brooo duuuuude