Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Sometimes I forget how at this point, FGO is probably intimidating for new players because of all the new mechanics that have since been added and the language barrier can be overwhelming even with a guide.

good god, i've been in this hell since 2015 what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

Sometimes I forget how at this point, FGO is probably intimidating for new players because of all the new mechanics that have since been added and the language barrier can be overwhelming even with a guide.

good god, i've been in this hell since 2015 what the gently caress

Let's be fair here, it's a good game now and has been since America.

2015 FGO was absolutely hell though, like jesus christ.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My gut feeling is that rarity shouldn't really have any correlation to Servant power. It feels like at a glance that there's more gold Servants than Silver/Bronze; which putting aside gacha rates contributes to the weirdness.

Like the curve state for their xp growth is basically irrelevant when people just stockpile 300 4* XP cards. I think if you actually had to level the Servants and their skills through grinding you would probably have some more leeway for balancing Servant power to rarity but off the top of my head it's just a gut feeling. FGO is FGO and I don't know the answer.

I've kept a copy of all my servants and have been trying to level them all.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, even though I slowly collected gold servants, I still level up everyone else just for events.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It probably also matters that unlike something like Granblue where you roll for equipment, in FGO people can want to roll for, say, King Hassan not because he's the best Assassin or whatever but because he's King Hassan.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

People aren't spending their money to get bronze, is basically it. They're stating to barely drop 3* servants for that matter since Taiga was our last 3* BACK IN DECEMBER. Servant rarity has been generally getting weirder what with the EoR 5* so far all being limited, the only new servants being dropped are gold, and even the face servants they showed in the key art aren't all 5*. We might be waiting until the 2.0 storyline to get new silver servants if at all, it's pretty drat weird.

It's fine, dude. 5* are all 1% rolls basically, you WILL be rerolling for a while if you want anything specific out of them unless you are lucky. 4* are 3%, so your chances of getting anything out of that are better. You will quickly become familiar with the 3* roster though as that's most of what you'll be seeing when rolling since they have a 40% chance of dropping. Servant rarity in this game is weird, rarity does not actually determine ultimate utility in a servant. Gold servants are always gonna outdo bronze servants in stats, but some bronze servants have unique skills and NPs that can lend themselves to supporting a team in a number of ways. The same goes for silver ofc. Like, I can't think of any scenario where I would realistically tell you to use someone like Fionn over Cu Lancer, because Cu's skills, survivability, and raw power NP all put him above Fionn who at best can be used in an arts team for wave clearing and not much else due to his skill synergy being bad and his NP and damage in general not being particularly amazing.

It all comes down to a servant to servant basis, but generally 4 and 5* do better than most of the lower ranked servants, but this is also due to the fact that there are just more gold servants in the game in general. Do note that thanks to Holy Grails, you can raise the level cap of a servant of any class once you hit their natural cap and some lower rank servants do benefit a lot from being grailed to 100.

Thanks. I was prepared to be shocked by how much worse the gacha is than Fire Emblem Heroes (6% chance of highest rarity, lower rarity characters can be upgraded given enough time, f2p rolls come often and it's only $2 for a character if you pay) but that's pretty dire.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

For me there's two points, point (a) where I stopped burning 3*'s and below I didn't want Just In Case and (b) a point where I started to actively level them at least to final ascension so that they could be useful in a pinch during an event.

But I'm really having trouble remembering what event made me start doing this.

I suspect the second Nero event, Onigashima, Ibaraki Douji or Camelot. I know Ibaraki made me level up all my Cu's and start working their skills and I think it snowballed from there.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Thanks. I was prepared to be shocked by how much worse the gacha is than Fire Emblem Heroes (6% chance of highest rarity, lower rarity characters can be upgraded given enough time, f2p rolls come often and it's only $2 for a character if you pay) but that's pretty dire.

Haha, I'd kill for 6% SSR drop rate in Starlight Stage. SS has 1.5% for the highest rarity, and GBF iirc has 3%.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
GBF is 3% with double rateups to 6% during legfes and poo poo. Good luck getting the poo poo you want though since there are so many 5* in that game. It also has suptix and poo poo to guarantee you stuff, but the guaranteed gachas are more often than not just traps in that game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got the Granzon and the Cybuster in Super Robot Wars X-Omega, literally the only reason I installed the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byfl4KBnp2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ey1pfOhNQ

I wish there were more Koyasu and Green River servants.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are three Koyasu servants and a swim trunks Andersen coming in summer, how much more koyasu could you want.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

There are three Koyasu servants and a swim trunks Andersen coming in summer, how much more koyasu could you want.

Well, I would like to actually get Ozymandia, for one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You and me both

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Speedo Emiya, Hawaiin Shirt Cu, c'mooon

Cu's pretty popular in JP fandom too, DW needs to cash in on him more

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Compendium posted:

Speedo Emiya, Hawaiin Shirt Cu, c'mooon

Cu's pretty popular in JP fandom too, DW needs to cash in on him more

Hollow Ataraxia event, with Hawaian Shirt Cu, Bazett, Luvia, Leysritt and some 3rd Grail War Servants (Gunpowder Hassan? Twin Saber?)

Actually, an event where you help Bazett and Angra win the 3rd Grail War to stop the poisoning of the Grail would be amazing.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The point with the FGO gacha is that while in other Gachas you roll for power, here you mostly roll for your favourite character. Thanks to grailing servants and the great skillset many 1-3* have and the ease in maxing out their NP they stand toe-to-toe with most of the 4* and a good bit of 5*. The only difference is maybe Waver, since he's such a great force multiplier, but if you really want to go that way just reroll for him, he's in the starting roster.
Also all the free servants you get from events are 4* with pretty good skillsets and you even get those at NP5 too.

You can clear everything FGO has to offer without ever touching the quartz gacha, try doing that in Dokkan battle.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My gut feeling is that rarity shouldn't really have any correlation to Servant power. It feels like at a glance that there's more gold Servants than Silver/Bronze; which putting aside gacha rates contributes to the weirdness.

Like the curve state for their xp growth is basically irrelevant when people just stockpile 300 4* XP cards. I think if you actually had to level the Servants and their skills through grinding you would probably have some more leeway for balancing Servant power to rarity but off the top of my head it's just a gut feeling. FGO is FGO and I don't know the answer.

I agree, but honestly, the real progression is in the skill system (also the real grind)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
People have also posted video of beating the hardest content with full bronze/silver team, but only good master with some luck can pull it off. :agesilaus:

There's also a couple of 4* Nero soloing some challenges.

The game have no pay wall.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Will a 3 year old DROID MAXX be able to run FGO? I was kind of hoping/thinking that I'd just go with an emulator, I wasn't aware that they had apparently cracked down on that. Though the bigger problem might be that I only have MB of space left on my phone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
oh hi kiara

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
pfft

looks like she got that wish after all

oh good, the very first battle is beast 3 typing with lancer weakness

I think we murdered the actual BB from CCC

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 10, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pureauthor posted:

Why don't they ever add more 1/2 star filler servants?
They don't bring money and given a single Servant apparently takes 6 months of work it's not really practical of them to add more.

Except AM because he's AM.

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there a resource that shows the history of how servants were added to the game? Cursory googling only shows the current full roster.
http://fate-go.cirnopedia.org/quest_event.php#nav
All new servants came with events, so the easiest way to check is scan through the event banners.
Although I just realized that one is woefully incomplete.
https://kazemai.github.io/fgo-vz/event_history.html
That one shows all the banners from newest to oldest. Since it's kinda tricky to read I'll summarize it:

Release Day: 1-59 (minus Kintoki and Gil)
2015-Sep-25: Moonwatching (Orion)
2015-Oct-21: Halloween (Witch Liz & Tamamo)
2015-Nov-05: Okeanos (David, Hector, Drake, Anne & Mary, Medea Lily)
2015-Nov-25: Guda Guda (Nobu & Okita)
2015-Dec-12: Scathach Trial (Scach, Diarmuid, Fergus)
2015-Dec-16: Christmas (Santa Alter, Jack, NR)
2015-Dec-28: London (Mordred, Tesla, Lancer Alter, Paracelsus, Babbage, Jekyll, Frankenstein) (Solomon as NPC only profile)
2016-Jan-01: New Year's (Arjuna, Karna) (Gil and Kintoki were also rollable in this gacha)
2016-Jan-20: Saber Wars (MHX)
2016-Feb-03: 500M Downloads (Bryn, Beo, Fionn)
2016-Feb-10: Valentine's (Bride)
2016-Feb-25: KnK Collab (Shiki, Void)
2016-Mar-09: White Day (Amakusa, Astolfo, Kid Gil)
2016-Mar-16: Monte Cristo Trial (Dantes)
2016-Mar-30: America (Nightingale, Cu Alter, Medb, Helena, Rama, Shuwen, Edison, Geronimo, Billy)
2016-Apr-11: Da Vinci (Jeanne Alter)
2016-Apr-21: F/AZO Collab (AM, Isk, Kerry, 100 Hassan, Iri)
2016-May-31: Ibaraki Raid (Shuten) (Ibaraki was NPC)
2016-Jun-15: Journey to the West (Sanzou)
2016-Jul-11: Onigashima (Raikou, Ridertoki, Ibaraki, Fuuma)
2016-Jul-25: Camelot (Ozy, Lancertoria, Nitocris, Lancelot, Tristan, Gawain, Serenity, Touta, Bedivere)
2016-Jul-30: Anniversary 1 (Da Vinci)
2016-Aug-11: Summer 1A & 1B (Swimsuit Tamamo, Seiba, Marie, A&M, Mordred, Scach, Kiyo, Martha)
2016-Sep-08: Prisma Corps (Illya, Kuro)
2016-Oct-19: Halloween 2 (Liz Brave, Cleo, Vlad Extra)
2016-Nov-28: Christmas 2 (Mini Jeanne, Ishtar)
2016-Dec-07: Babylon (Enkidu, Quetz, Caster Gil, Mini Medu, Gorgon, Jaguarman) (NPC Tiamat)
2016-Dec-22: Salomon (Merlin) (NPC Goetia, Solomon)
2016-Dec-31: New Year's 2 (Musashi)
2017-Jan-11: King Hassan (idem)
2017-Feb-08: Valentine's 2 (MHXA)
2017-Feb-24: Shinjuku (Moriarty, Emiya Alter, Hessian Lobo, Yan Qing)
2017-Mar-08: Arthur Trial (Arthur)
2017-Apr-05: Guda Guda 2 (Chacha, Hijitaka)
2017-May-01: CCC Collab (Melt, Lip, Suzuka, BB, Kiara)

cheetah7071 posted:

Sorry to fill the thread with long-form plans for how to reroll for a game that isn't even out yet, but I assume that 5* means "you will not get this without whaling or rerolling while it's available", 4* means "maybe, if you're lucky" and anything below that means "why would you even want this?"
Not at all. While 4* and 5* are more obviously powerful, most bronzes and silvers have powerful skills and support abilities and, with grailing, competent attack/HP values, Silvers in particular. One thing to keep in mind is that you're much more likely to get them to NP5 compared to golds.

cheetah7071 posted:

tbh I prefer FGO because FEH's has been a) actively hateful to me and b) the nature mechanic can ruin an otherwise okay to great roll (I just rolled a -Atk +HP Sanaki ffffffff) and c) Since characters are designed to be promotable to 5* their combat power is nerfed if you don't get them at 5*, with no expectations of improvement (because you can just save feathers and promote them yourself). Whereas FGO puts an effort in making characters across all rarities useful, because they're stuck at their rarity.

Nate RFB posted:

Will a 3 year old DROID MAXX be able to run FGO? I was kind of hoping/thinking that I'd just go with an emulator, I wasn't aware that they had apparently cracked down on that. Though the bigger problem might be that I only have MB of space left on my phone.

It takes a somewhat hefty phone and currently uses >2.6GB of space IIRC.

InfinityComplex posted:

pfft

looks like she got that wish after all

oh good, the very first battle is beast 3 typing with lancer weakness

I think we murdered the actual BB from CCC

There's 3 BBs.
One is in CCC.
One was a copy sent by the Moon Cell to prevent world extinction. (BB you get. She is nice in her yandere kouhai way)
One was extracted from Kiara in the same manner as Lip and Melt. (BB/GO, kinda sorta infected with Kiara's greed and stuff. You kick her rear end, and she gives her saint graph to BB. Incidentally, that is the second mention of the NP upgrading mechanic within the story. The first is BB saying there are various spare BB bodies from failed extractions, hence why you get your BB copies from beating the 3 Extra servants)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 10, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I somehow never knew about the kazemai link, so thanks for that.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
You can get a lot of stuff from Kazemai run through google translate.

Or wait until the wikia copies it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rrrgh got Kiara down to her last 20k HP on her third bar and died horribly because I was out of Servants. If I had been able to command spell my team back to life I'd have won :negative:

I ran Melt/Tamamo/support Waver, with Kintoki, EMIYA and Mashu in the back row.

Probably would go smoother if I removed Kiara's stun resist so I could actually stall her longer, I'll grind out some more KP and do that next.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
More Extella thoughts:

Endorph in the RPG thread was not kidding about how much Archimedes gabs on. Seriously he will not shut up
Even if I didn't know Altera was Atilla I would have figured it out. There's only one Scourge of God
I thought Nero was MC-sexual but she's drooling all over Atilla so I guess she's just bi (assuming she's all over male Hakuno too)
The game could really stand to be just a little bit harder. Hyrule Warriors is the only Musou game I've played before, but the interesting part of that game wasn't the combat, it was the unrelenting nature of every battle, where there's five fires to put out at all times but only one of you, and you can't just ignore the problems and do your own thing like you mostly can in Extella

I never played Extra with Emiya, is he just as gay for a male Hakuno as Tamamo and Nero are for female Hakuno?

Thanks!

quote:

tbh I prefer FGO because FEH's has been a) actively hateful to me and b) the nature mechanic can ruin an otherwise okay to great roll (I just rolled a -Atk +HP Sanaki ffffffff) and c) Since characters are designed to be promotable to 5* their combat power is nerfed if you don't get them at 5*, with no expectations of improvement (because you can just save feathers and promote them yourself). Whereas FGO puts an effort in making characters across all rarities useful, because they're stuck at their rarity.

I like IVs because it promotes a more varied arena, and I like promotion because it's like getting a guaranteed 5* role once every few weeks. I can definitely see why you might not like it though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Emiya does not come on to the protagonist in Extra or CCC anywhere near the level that Nero and Tamamo do. He gets some stuff, but it's mostly playful teasing as one would expect from someone like him. As someone who has played all of Extella, those two never really relent in how loving much they refuse to stop talking about wanting to gently caress the protagonist and it got about as obnoxious as Archimedes' ramblings about nothing to me after a while.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 10, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i think with tamamo it makes sense and fits her character but with nero it felt like she was getting flanderized slightly, yeah. f/e and f/e ccc nero had a lot more traits than just wanting to gently caress hakuno and they barely touch on them in extella.

also emiya isn't all over hakuno but there is some flirting and banter, and there's a lategame convo where hes basically about to spill his guts out to hakuno and hakuno's response is to the effect of 'I'll be with you forever, so don't even worry about it" and Emiya seems like five seconds away from crying because shirou is a giant baby.

then of course he 'heh's it off and goes back to teasing

(also nero in fate/extra calls leo a 'charming boy' and hits on drake a bit, iirc, and before the fight with drake she has a line about loving beautiful women and handsome men, so, yeah, bi)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm fine with it with Tamamo for the most part, probably because Tamamo has the least lore babble in the entire game and she has genuinely good moments where she's not being horny, but Nero is just unbearable with it. Like every other proclamation is wanting to gently caress the protagonist or Altera and it's so loving tiresome, especially with Altera who is a black hole of a character. The Extella story mode in general needed more focus on not those two, it's pretty stupid how there's an entire faction of characters for all three of them and you barely ever see the other servants. Especially with Emiya and Gil who were already playable servants in Extra/CCC, so I feel like they deserve more stake in what's happening.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i still dont get why altera is even the way she is when 'it's atilla the hun, gently caress you' is an amazing character. heck she can still be the universal force of destruction, but iunno why we need giant baby altera crying about being sad.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I just picked up Extella too since it finally went on sale, and what surprises me is how much of a massive bitch Tamamo is

I mean she's always been a bitch, but now she's, like... worse.

Liz is really cute in it, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

I just picked up Extella too since it finally went on sale, and what surprises me is how much of a massive bitch Tamamo is

I mean she's always been a bitch, but now she's, like... worse.

Liz is really cute in it, though.
there's actually dialogue addressing that

"I'm a villain, you know? Evil! I played the good girl for so long, but now that I have power, it's only natural that I abuse it!"

or something to that effect. it's a good thing for her character honestly, I like when she leans into her being one of japan's greatest monsters instead of cute fox wife.

anyway, fate/extella 2 should just be a musou version of the camelot arc from f/go.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tamamo also gets called out on her poo poo by Suzuka Gozen in the CCC manga, and almost loses it right there.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Fate/Extella 2 should stop trying to do any kind of serious plot, because the plot in Extella really sucks so far, and instead just go full Carnival Phantasm with its story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

Fate/Extella 2 should stop trying to do any kind of serious plot, because the plot in Extella really sucks so far, and instead just go full Carnival Phantasm with its story
the plot in f/go is extremely good, tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

the plot in f/go is extremely good, tho

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kiara (the servant) seems kinda interesting but not that great (or at least requiring a certain party to perform well). Her passives are pretty good, but I'm pretty sure that servants aren't included under humanoid (and most other humanoid enemies are really easy to begin with) so that increase to humanoid defense isn't a big deal. Her first skill is just a regular good NP gain skill and her second skill (3 turn defense decrease to enemies) is quite good, but her third skill seems a little difficult to use well. It's clearly intended to be used with her NP (due to the HP Recovery increase, but the crit damage and NP gain parts of it basically go to waste if you chain her with other NPs (which is necessary to make her NP do a decent amount of self-healing), and that's not even considering the 3000 HP demerit.

I guess she's supposed to focus on spamming her NP and she might go well with Tamamo due to the skill cooldown decrease.

edit: A Tamamo - Merlin - Kiara party might work well. Merlin can supply stars and healing to help offset Kiara's third skill, and his party-wide invincibility would effectively give Kiara 2 invincibilities every ~7 turns, which would allow her to avoid most enemy NP uses. Substituting Waver for Tamamo would work well also, since his NP plus Kiara's second skill would keep enemy NP charges low.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 10, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

there's actually dialogue addressing that

"I'm a villain, you know? Evil! I played the good girl for so long, but now that I have power, it's only natural that I abuse it!"

or something to that effect. it's a good thing for her character honestly, I like when she leans into her being one of japan's greatest monsters instead of cute fox wife.

anyway, fate/extella 2 should just be a musou version of the camelot arc from f/go.

I just read the wiki page on (the mythical) Tamamo and I am extremely worried for Hakuno now

Things do not end well for Tamamo's husbands

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
What exactly does Tamanomae do that makes her a bitch? I assume "bitch" as in "Is extremely mean and not just sassy" sense?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

Kiara (the servant) seems kinda interesting but not that great (or at least requiring a certain party to perform well). Her passives are pretty good, but I'm pretty sure that servants aren't included under humanoid (and most other humanoid enemies are really easy to begin with) so that increase to humanoid defense isn't a big deal.

Servants are humanoid but not human. I'd have to compare the kanji to Sanson and Nightingale's skills to tell you which one is it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What exactly does Tamanomae do that makes her a bitch? I assume "bitch" as in "Is extremely mean and not just sassy" sense?

She is a huge bully and literally everybody in her team hates her except Karna because he's Karna and it's not unwarranted.
IIRC the mat books mention Robin's too busy being used as Tamamo's whipping boy to show up in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does she not show that side of her to the protagonist when he's looking?