Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Selachian posted:

(This is, I think, from the 3.5 DL book, but the original chart was in the 1E DLA book.)

You see, I wouldn't mind poo poo like that if it was left to the DM between sessions (or if one session ran particularly long in-game), with the players only really knowing if a) they were a Magic-User who was affected, b) really, really paid attention to the celestial bodies (i.e. a sailor, astronomer, etc), or c) it was actually part of the campaign story (like a BBEG was trying to pull one down into the planet).

Even then, that's still a ton of work to keep in mind for very little actual payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
http://www.dlnexus.com/weather/moons.aspx

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm looking for a retroclone that cleaves more closely to the wargame roots of the hobby. Something heavy on tactical combat, with grids or hexes preferably. Something between a hex and counter wargame, fourth edition dungeons and dragons, and Final Fantasy Tactics. I've already got Strike! which is great but I'm looking for something with a little more of that OSR grit on it. Do y'all know of this kind of game?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Have you considered picking up a copy of Chainmail, along with the original D&D rules? The original D&D rules were intended to be used alongside Chainmail, and can still pull this off. It uses measurements in inches rather than squares or hexes though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I recently ran a game of ODD with Chainmail +Swords and Spells for the siege of the keep, and it still held up.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Impermanent posted:

I'm looking for a retroclone that cleaves more closely to the wargame roots of the hobby. Something heavy on tactical combat, with grids or hexes preferably. Something between a hex and counter wargame, fourth edition dungeons and dragons, and Final Fantasy Tactics. I've already got Strike! which is great but I'm looking for something with a little more of that OSR grit on it. Do y'all know of this kind of game?

It's not D&D, but early Gurps and Steve Jackson's games running up to it might be interesting given what you've asked for - Melee/Wizard/The Fantasy Trip.

Otherwise I'm drawing a blank on stuff that's not a full on board game.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I know it's unpopular around here, but Adventurer Conqueror King does a lot of domain management stuff, and has supplementary rules to do wargaming, though i don't know anyone who has used them.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Have you tried The Big Brown Book? It's a 0e retroclone with an emphasis on the wargame aspects.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

hectorgrey posted:

Have you considered picking up a copy of Chainmail, along with the original D&D rules? The original D&D rules were intended to be used alongside Chainmail, and can still pull this off. It uses measurements in inches rather than squares or hexes though.

Huh, that sounds interesting, but I'm not sure where I'd find a copy of Chainmail?

Soggy Cereal posted:

Have you tried The Big Brown Book? It's a 0e retroclone with an emphasis on the wargame aspects.

This sounds ideal, but it looks like all of the links to the guy's website are dead.

Glorified Scrivener posted:

It's not D&D, but early Gurps and Steve Jackson's games running up to it might be interesting given what you've asked for - Melee/Wizard/The Fantasy Trip.

Otherwise I'm drawing a blank on stuff that's not a full on board game.

You know, that's actually a good point. I used to be a huge GURPS-head in HS. I bet that the new fantasy GURPS box probably has a good amount of what I'm looking for with the right optional rules. I'm not too enthralled with teh combat system of GURPS because it's very very far away from the elegance of Strike! but I'm sure I could tinekr withe the ruleset with various optional rules until I got something playable but also suitably groggy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Impermanent posted:

Huh, that sounds interesting, but I'm not sure where I'd find a copy of Chainmail?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17010/Chainmail-Rules-for-Medieval-Miniatures-0e?term=Chainmail&manufacturers_id=44&test_epoch=0&it=1

Play GURPS though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There is a free retroclonish version of Chainmail called Platemail (GoogleDocs link to pdf).

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I know it's unpopular around here, but Adventurer Conqueror King does a lot of domain management stuff, and has supplementary rules to do wargaming, though i don't know anyone who has used them.

They are pretty good rules, very hex-and-counter wargamey.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Alright, I've got some more design questions. These ones are about Wizard spells. What do you see as the pros and cons of the following spell casting possibilities for a class.

1. Spontaneous Casting (i.e. You choose your spell from your list at the moment you cast rather than at the beginning of the day).
2. No direct damage spells in the spell list
3. You can only memorize each spell in your list once (i.e. You can't memorize three sleep spells only one.)
4. Using power points instead of slots

I'm not going to use all or maybe not even any of these options, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Spontaneous Casting

There's an argument to be had in the "ease of learning" between spontaneous casting and true Vancian casting. Personally, I think it's a wash, but I would consider spontaneous casting to be easier for newbies since it's far more versatile.

No direct damage spells in the spell list

Can't say I'm in favor of this. Direct damage spells are some of the easiest ways to connect with the game, and most of the problems of D&D casters is when they're using not-direct-damage spells. If anything, I would consider "all direct damage spells" to be a better deal, if you could come up with enough different damage gimmicks.

You can only memorize each spell in your list once

If you're not using spontaneous casting, definitely I am favor of this + true Vancian casting. It forces people to get creative with their spells.

When I ran a B/X oneshot about a month ago, I didn't want to stick the M-U with a single spell for the entire adventure, so I gave them the entire level 1 spell list, with the proviso that they could only use them once each. It went fairly well - the very first thing they used was Magic Missile, for fairly obvious reasons, but as the game wore on and their spell list become smaller and smaller they started doing things like using Tenser's Floating Disc to get up to a grating to sneak past some guards.

Using power points instead of slots

This is even more versatile than spontaneous casting in that it effectively allows you to trade spell slots across spell levels. It makes casters even more powerful in that regard. I don't know that I would ever use this, because all it does is exacerbate some of the problems of D&D casters, and any solutions to the caster problem is fairly well separate from whether I use power points or not.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

OD&D and BX have a bit of a dearth of damage spells given your advice. In fact, I think book 1 OD&D has 2 actual damage spells both of which are at 3rd level. If I were to add some would be reasonable to draw from 3rd and 4th e and retrofit them?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

OD&D and BX have a bit of a dearth of damage spells given your advice. In fact, I think book 1 OD&D has 2 actual damage spells both of which are at 3rd level. If I were to add some would be reasonable to draw from 3rd and 4th e and retrofit them?

I'd add more from 2e first, which has a ton of damage spell options that'll be more usable without significant adjustment.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Impermanent posted:

This sounds ideal, but it looks like all of the links to the guy's website are dead.

I wrote it so I'll see if I have a backup floating around. I honestly can't remember if it was designed specifically for tabletop wargaming style play, the actual conceit behind the design was "what if "funny dice" were never invented" so it's D&D with D6s only.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Impermanent posted:

It's a free game as far as I can tell, and here's a link.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

EverettLO posted:

It's a free game as far as I can tell, and here's a link.

Hey thanks! I lost the PDF when I moved and have been looking for it ever since.

al-azad posted:

I wrote it so I'll see if I have a backup floating around. I honestly can't remember if it was designed specifically for tabletop wargaming style play, the actual conceit behind the design was "what if "funny dice" were never invented" so it's D&D with D6s only.

And the creator is a goon! Incredible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have some nice (and free) character sheets for AD&D 2e? I'm trying to look at the feasibility of a game that makes full use of the Combat & Tactics rules, and I need to familiarize myself with filling out a sheet for the opening pitch's character creation rules.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
You can find a bunch on Dragonsfoot:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/cs/#CS2E32

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So here's where I am so far on character creation:

quote:

AD&D 2e

* you have 76 points to distribute among your ability scores as you wish, up to a maximum of 18 (before racial bonuses)

* for Warriors with Exceptional Strength, it takes one point to go from 17 Strength to 18/01 Strength, and then it takes 1 point to increase Exceptional Strength by another tenth after that. So going from 16 Strength to 18/51 Strength would take 7 points

* Take maximum HP for your class/level

* For ease-of-use, I'm houseruling that we'll use Target20 for attack rolls: d20 + modifiers + enemy AC; with a successful hit on a result of 20 or better. Since all level 1 characters start with THAC0 20, there's no "base attack bonus" to consider yet.

* Note your saving throws [create image for this]

* Note your movement rate:
Humans, Elves, and Half-Elves have a base movement rate of 12
Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings have a base movement rate of 6.
This is modified by your Strength's to-hit bonus, and your Dexterity's reaction bonus.
A Halfling with 17 Strength and 17 Dexterity would have a movement rate of [6+1+2=8].
In combat, this number represents the number of squares you can move in one round as a full-move action
* Note your initiative phase. Humans, Elves, and Half-Elves take their turns during the Fast phase, while Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings take their turns during the Very Fast phase

* For equipment, Warriors start with 125 GP, Wizards start with 35 GP, Rogues start with 70 GP, Priests start with 105 GP

* Note your AC

* Note your weapon's damage, remembering that damage varies depending on your size

* Note the speed of your weapon. If your weapon is listed as Slow, then an attack with that weapon still resolves in the Slow phase, even if your turn is supposed to be during the Fast or Very Fast phase. [create an image for the weapon speed charts]

Feedback would be appreciated

How would you handle Wizard spell selection? They're supposed to start with six spells. Would you let them have their pick, or would you do it yourself, or some other middle-ground?

Would you houserule anything for the Rogue? I was particularly thinking about their skills and maybe importing the AD&D 1e Thief tables instead of the point-by-point allocation. Might that be better or worse?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I'd let the wizard pick three of six spells, and have the other three "assigned by the wizarding master."

If you're ditching thaco, I'd ditch thief skill percentiles, and make it a standard d20 roll; I'd also do something like if a rogue fails a thief skill roll, they then roll a regular skill check like anyone else would.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My personal thoughts on point buy and percentile strength is that each tier should be worth a point, ignoring the actual number. The 10% jump makes for a lot of points that feel kind of wasted.

Edit: Basically, don't make peak performance cost fighters 10 points more than it costs any other class.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 16, 2017

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Impermanent posted:

retrophaze is inspired by a mashup of D&D and old final fantasy it's intended more for hexcrawls but it might suit you well. it's also free http://www.lulu.com/shop/john-higgins/retro-phaze/ebook/product-23151238.html

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

remusclaw posted:

My personal thoughts on point buy and percentile strength is that each tier should be worth a point, ignoring the actual number. The 10% jump makes for a lot of points that feel kind of wasted.

Edit: Basically, don't make peak performance cost fighters 10 points more than it costs any other class.
Yeah. At the least make it 1 "point" per tier. That already gives the fighter a point-penalty on the rest of the stats if they dump an extra 6 in strength. (Granted this makes them noticeably better than everyone at lower levels.)

To bring a little randomness in you could let fighters roll the d100 for free at the end of the process if they end with an 18 str. Or let them choose: "you can buy your way up, or roll".

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

How would you handle Wizard spell selection? They're supposed to start with six spells. Would you let them have their pick, or would you do it yourself, or some other middle-ground?
Middle ground. Assign Detect Magic and Read Magic. Then let them pick two from the phb, then roll two randomly out of one of the big tomes of spells that might lead to something interesting (or at least rare).

gradenko_2000 posted:

Would you houserule anything for the Rogue? I was particularly thinking about their skills and maybe importing the AD&D 1e Thief tables instead of the point-by-point allocation. Might that be better or worse?
The 2e way at least lets people get good at something more quickly. (Like they really want to climb, or just hide, and they focus on that.)

Unless yo are playing the dungeons-and-traps game, I would consider making "rogues" more fight-ey.

Some ideas:
- Let them attack on the fighter table (still no specialization or exceptional strength, so they wont play out the same).
- Allow them to specialize in some sneaky weapon, the bonus will wash out over time but make the low levels less painful

Or go all in:
- Put them on the fighter xp table, give them fighter to-hit, fighter HP. They keep thieves abilities and armor restrictions. This seems pretty balanced to me in that the gains (abilities, sneak attack) are semi-comparable to the loss (extra str, specialization).

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Where does the idea of 18/XX strength even come from? It's just so...weird.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Zurui posted:

During the lifetime 0e D&D - Gygax had realised that the fighter was significantly underpowered compared to the other two classes, and so introduced to hit bonuses for strength - but only for the fighter. As time went on, he realised that that wasn't enough to close the gap, but he also wanted to keep 19+ as superhuman, so he put a scale of "not quite superhuman, but still better than anybody else" above 18 - the percentile rating.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the feedback, all. I think I will make it a 1-point-per-Exceptional-Strength-tier, and the middle-ground approach to spell-selection seems okay.

I still have to take a closer look at Thief skills, but I'll keep your points in mind.

Zurui posted:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/11262/where-did-exceptional-percentile-strength-come-from

It was a mechanic first introduced in OD&D's Greyhawk supplement. Gygax wanted to buff Fighters, but didn't want to break the "conceit" that 3 to 18 was the "terrestrial human" numerical range of stats, so he invented a new scale of 18-but-better-but-also-still-less-than-19 just for Fighters.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'd just make a lot of the level one spells 4e style at-will cantrips, as many of them are otherwise incredibly underwhelming(especially Read Magic and Detect Magic), especially when a level 1 MU can normally only cast a single spell per day

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Examining Thief skills across AD&D

Under AD&D 1e, a level 1 (Human) Thief is going to have

30% Pick Pocket
25% Open Locks
20% Find/Remove Traps
15% Move Silently
10% Hide in Shadows
10% Hear Noise
85% Climb Walls
- Read Languages

If the Thief has 18 Dex, this would increase to:

40% Pick Pocket
40% Open Locks
25% Find/Remove Traps
25% Move Silently
20% Hide in Shadows
10% Hear Noise
85% Climb Walls
- Read Languages

In AD&D 2e, a level 1 (Human) Thief is going to have:

15% Pick Pocket
10% Open Locks
5% Find/Remove Traps
10% Move Silently
5% Hide in Shadows
15% Hear Noise
60% Climb Walls
- Read Languages

If the Thief has 18 Dex, this would increase to:

25% Pick Pocket
25% Open Locks
10% Find/Remove Traps
20% Move Silently
10% Hide in Shadows
15% Hear Noise
60% Climb Walls
- Read Languages

but the 2e Thief also has 60 points to sink into any of these categories, and they cannot add more than 30 points to a single skill.

If the 2e Thief does something like:

15 points in Pick Pocket to make it 40%
15 points in Open Locks to make it 40%
15 points in Find/Remove Traps to make it 25%
5 points in Move Silently to make it 25%
10 points in Hide in Shadows to make 20%

then that matches the 1e Thief in all respects, except in Climb Walls, but the 2e Thief could also instead sink 30 points right away into Move Silently to make it 50%

Okay, that's got me convinced, I'll leave the Thief skills as-is.

For weapon proficiency/specialization, I'd like a double-check if I'm grasping this correctly:

* Warriors start with 4 proficiency slots, Wizards start with 1, Priests start with 2, Rogues start with 2. (and then they gain more as they level at varying rates)

* You need to be Proficient in a weapon just to remove a penalty.

* Fighters (and no other Warriors) can spend a second proficiency slot on a weapon to get Weapon Specialization with it.

* If a Fighter is Specialized in a melee weapon, they get a +1 bonus to attack rolls, and a +2 to damage rolls.
* If a Fighter is Specialized in a ranged weapon, they get a +2 bonus to attack rolls within "point-blank" range.

* Specialization also gives you extra attacks earlier.

* Normally, a Warrior has 1 attack-per-round up to level 6, then 3/2 attacks-per-round starting level 7, then 2 attacks-per-round starting level 13.

* With Specialization, a Fighter (and not all Warriors) can have 3/2 attacks-per-round at level 1 right away, then 2 attacks-per-round at level 7, then 5/2 attacks-per-round at level 13. (and light crossbows, heavy crossbows, thrown daggers, thrown darts, and all other non-bow missile weapons get more attacks at different rates according to a table)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Or go all in:
- Put them on the fighter xp table, give them fighter to-hit, fighter HP. They keep thieves abilities and armor restrictions. This seems pretty balanced to me in that the gains (abilities, sneak attack) are semi-comparable to the loss (extra str, specialization).

I am with FRINGE on thieves here. I would actually go a little bit further on making them full skirmisher's by allowing them sneak attacks on anything that would grant them advantage in 3rd edition up, as I like that mechanic and it takes sneak attacks away from GM jurisdiction and places on character positioning. The Thief at this level is still not overpowered, but at least can take a little bit of punishment, which may actually be more important for their interactions with traps than it is in combat.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

What's the rationale behind thieves being so bad at the things they're supposed to do at low levels? And conversely, why is climbing walls so easy?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

DalaranJ posted:

What's the rationale behind thieves being so bad at the things they're supposed to do at low levels? And conversely, why is climbing walls so easy?

Everyone in D&D is garbage at the thing they're supposed to do at level 1.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Except the walking sleep spell class. But point taken.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

DalaranJ posted:

Except the walking sleep spell class. But point taken.

Nah, wizards sucked in 2e too. 1-4 hp, one spell at first level (two if you specialize), and a couple darts? Good luck.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

My theory has always been that the thief is a joke class designed to generate amusing anecdotes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm a big fan of giving wizards non seeking magic missiles as an at will. 1d4+1 with an attack roll modified by dex like a ranged attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

remusclaw posted:

I'm a big fan of giving wizards non seeking magic missiles as an at will. 1d4+1 with an attack roll modified by dex like a ranged attack.

Isn't that just a sling with +1 damage?

The larger point is that classic D&D was not supposed to be a heroic game. It was a grungy deathfest where getting out with the treasure alive was the only accomplishment you dreamed of and level 2 was a distant goal.

• Locked thread