Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
new slowdive. first song off their new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogCih4OavoY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm not familiar with Slowdive at all, so I have nothing to compare it to, but this is really good and I like it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
go buy Souvlaki right now you phillistine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJrC8X91io&t=1122s

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ofecks posted:

I'm not familiar with Slowdive at all, so I have nothing to compare it to, but this is really good and I like it.
Listen to this right now and prepare to have your life changed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2INLBsRYVBs

Star Roving is really, really great and exactly what I could've wanted out of the first Slowdive song in 20+ years :swoon:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yeah that's really nice. I've had Souvlaki in my wishlist for some time now, it will be bought eventually.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Singaporian dream-pop/shoegaze band Astreal hasn't released a new album since 2006's excellent "Fragments of the Same Dead Star".

Until yesterday, that is. Out of nowhere, a new 7-song album called "Light" showed up on Spotify. I'm not sure if I like it quite as much as their previous album, but it's still pretty good!

Spotify link

Haven't found anything to link to on Youtube yet.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The best band you've never heard of!

Well, no not quite. Good(ish) and very unknown. Elevate were a British band from the mid-90s. They released one album and disappeared without trace. The album has turned up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLOzzpp01_c

(+ Song list with time stamps.)

They perhaps aren't exactly shoegaze but indie-guitar-drone and I think that fits this thread. The vocals have a Mark E Smith quality and the guitars are abrasive. Most of the album is too one-tempo to be really satisfying. Of the up-tempo numbers Slowspeed to Harbour (#1) and DNA Mix (#11) are the best examples. Of the slower ones Oils (#9) and the steel-guitar 24 Nights (#12) are the most dreamy/mellow. But if you listen to only one track, make it The Resin World (#6) which is amazing - druggy lyrics, dreamy, twangy bass, weird treble guitar. It'll give you shivers.

Check it out. Your ears will thank you. :)

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Would you guys call Radiohead Dream Pop?

AARO fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 15, 2017

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

AARO posted:

Would you guys call Radiohead Dream Pop?

Not really, but they definitely incorporate some dream pop elements in some of their stuff. Radiohead's sound has been all over the place though, to the extent that I would only ever call them alternative or art rock or something - things which are a lot less specific than dream pop, in my mind

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, like I could see a case being made for some of their songs here and there being dream pop-inspired like Everything In Its Right Place and The National Anthem from Kid A, Dollars & Cents off Amnesiac or even Let Down on OK Computer, but I would never call Radiohead a dream pop band.

They've taken inspiration from so many different sources (from Krautrock to jazz to Aphex Twin) that it's almost like they're their own genre.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
No love for the new Ride track?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gBOlOWCLs

Not really that shoegazey, but I enjoy it.

I also bumped into Kindling on Facebook today. never heard of them before, but they apparently just released a new track from their upcoming EP, and it's pretty drat good.
Page has a bit of info and the track embedded

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxwAPBxc0lU

new Slowdive.

the record is out on the 5th. still kinda can't believe it. Souvlaki was a big fukken deal for me back in the day so I'm really happy they're back.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I bought all the stuff on my Bandcamp and Google Play wishlists last week, it was quite a lot of music and included a number of shoegazey things:

3 Airiel EPs (I have everything officially released from them now yay)
Souvlaki
Loveless

And a bunch of new (for me) artists:
Love Spirals Downwards
Beliefs
The Depreciation Guild
Drop Nineteens
The Lees of Memory
The Meeting Places
Stella Luna
Lavinia

Most of these were linked in this thread I think. I haven't listened to it all yet (I'm going in album name alphabetical order and I'm currently on O). Some great stuff so far.

e: Forgot to mention it here when it came out - a Brazillian label put out a Nevermind tribute with all shoegaze bands. A friend from my hometown is in one of them, this is all really interesting. Only two songs sound much of anything like the originals.

https://theblogthatcelebratesitself.bandcamp.com/album/all-our-pretty-songs-nevermind-revisited

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 4, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They loving did it. I have no idea how in the hell they pulled that off, but Slowdive stopped making albums for 22 years and then came back with a masterpiece of a shoegaze album in 2017 like they never left at all :wth:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Seeing'em tonight again

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Slomo reminds me of Running Up That Hill

Superimposition
Apr 23, 2014
Put out a drone/shoegaze EP about gender dysphoria, for those of you that are into that kind of thing. https://debutantemusic.bandcamp.com/album/feral-split

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
gently caress, the new Slowdive is way better than I thought it would be.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Their live show is gorgeous

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

But yeah, listened to the album on Spotify this morning, holding the vinyl in my hand this evening.

And a tour shirt.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Saw them a couple years ago when they first got back together and it was great. Really dig Mojave 3 as well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Never saw Mojave 3 but I got to see Neil do a wonderful solo set at a really great Toronto venue.

Show was fantastic tonight. Sounded just loving incredible throughout .. however a couple of the last songs for the encore had duets with Neil and Rachel that were completely out of tune heh.

I don't give a poo poo, the main set was just bloody amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slowdive streamed a half hour live set on Pitchfork earlier and it's available to watch on their Facebook.

Check it out if you're at all a fan of theirs or their new album, because my god does it sound beautiful.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I think my favorite song of last year is "All That Heaven Allows" by Mercury Girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDFf0h-Q0zQ

(The Youtube audio is a little bit muddier than the version on Spotify, so check it out there if you can.)

It's sort of neo-riot-grrl meets shoegaze, maybe? There's some similarity to No Joy or The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, but more... jangly, I guess.

It looks like they only have a single out, but their first LP is coming out later this year.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 23, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Ride album Weather Diaries (their first in 21 years) is up for streaming!

https://open.spotify.com/artist/0WPY9nnBy01s5QOt4o4oQX

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Just saw them live this past weekend. They were excellent!

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

Fart of Presto posted:

Just saw them live this past weekend. They were excellent!

Seeing Ride was definitely one of my favorite shows. I don't know how I feel about these sorts of bands coming back and recording new material though, neither their's nor Slowdive's new stuff really grabs me. Or J&MC's new stuff for that matter, and I absolutely adore them.

WhiteHowler posted:

I think my favorite song of last year is "All That Heaven Allows" by Mercury Girls.

It's sort of neo-riot-grrl meets shoegaze, maybe? There's some similarity to No Joy or The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, but more... jangly, I guess.

It looks like they only have a single out, but their first LP is coming out later this year.

I dig this, thanks! Also I love this gem of a comment on the video:

xxoxx ooxoo1 posted:

sounds good, but most of the words are indistinguishable.. can you put lyrics so that we aren't just blindly listening to poo poo.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I found the JAMC enjoyable ... need to listen to it more to absorb. The live show on this tour was just so much better than their last go-around too.

The Slowdive really grabbed me effortlessly. Listened half a dozen times, and it's nice to have on vinyl too.

I didn't care for the Ride at first listen, but I need to give it another go on a day where I'm not being constantly interrupted.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New JAMC and new Ride felt pretty forgettable to me while I fell in love with the Slowdive self-titled on first listen and have continued to love it on every subsequent listen. I should also give new Ride another shot. I kinda tuned out of it after a while.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I also love the new Slowdive. It's definitely a departure from Shoegaze while still being Shoegaze-adjacent in a very pleasurable way. It's really wild that their last album was over 20 years ago and they somehow sound this good. Production is really tight as well. Good poo poo all around.

Superimposition
Apr 23, 2014
Did a dronier shoegaze/slowcore track about gender dysphoria if you're into that kinda stuff.
https://debutantemusic.bandcamp.com/track/no-mirrors
Dig.

New Planning For Burial is easily the best shoegaze record I've heard so far this year btw. Might even be my AOTY, not quite sure.

Superimposition fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 29, 2017

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Saw this mentioned on Facebook, and Marker's self-titled debut album is pretty drat good:

https://riverbeats.life/the-best-new-shoegaze-album-nobodys-heard-of-marker/

From the Bandcamp site

quote:

Debut full length album by New Orleans’ Marker. Written and recorded by Mike Wilkinson, the album exemplifies lush and dreamy pop songs of the highest caliber. Drum patterns propel gorgeous waves of guitars and synths, blurring into perfectly layered vocals. Filled with surprise melodic turns, “Marker” is a forward take on vaporous song-based music. Fans of late-80s proto-shoegaze and early 4AD sounds should take note.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Listening to the first track, I like it already.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Clientele released their first album in nine years on Friday. Find here presented before you a sample.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Overwined posted:

I also love the new Slowdive. It's definitely a departure from Shoegaze while still being Shoegaze-adjacent in a very pleasurable way. It's really wild that their last album was over 20 years ago and they somehow sound this good.

Well, to me what's more surprising is that it's good after all of Halstead's stuff after the first Mojave 3 album was really really bad. That AOR solo stuff he did, especially.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

precision posted:

Well, to me what's more surprising is that it's good after all of Halstead's stuff after the first Mojave 3 album was really really bad. That AOR solo stuff he did, especially.

AOR? I liked Mojave 3 a great deal. It's far from Slowdive's music, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

von Braun posted:

AOR? I liked Mojave 3 a great deal. It's far from Slowdive's music, though.

Adult Oriented Radio. It's what his solo stuff sounded like to me, especially when i heard it on the loudspeakers at a best buy one day.

I loved the first Mojave 3 album but never connected with the others.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Pale Horse/Pale Rider are probably going to end up my album of the year, and easily my debut of the year. It's pretty heavy shoegaze with excellent male vocals, if that's your thing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Pale Horse/Pale Rider are probably going to end up my album of the year, and easily my debut of the year. It's pretty heavy shoegaze with excellent male vocals, if that's your thing.

Absolutely love this. It reminds me of early Mono and the melancholy/intensity of The God Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Amusement Parks On Fire are back again with a new single after 8+ years: https://themusicsite.com/music-news/press-releases/amusement-parks-on-fire-release-new-single

There's a pretty good interview in Drowned In Sound about the comeback