Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

awesmoe posted:

I dont understand fluid mechanics, and I dont care, except as they relate to nuclear power production
People give ratios of offshore pumps to heat exchangers to turbines. Great. Does each of those offshore pumps have to be attached to its own separate fluid pipeline? or can i have one pipe feeding all my heat exchangers, with 5 offshore pumps hooked up to it?

I don't understand fluid mechanics in this game either, but I tried to put all my reactor water through one pipe and it didn't work. Small pumps might work, but I've found it's safest to just have a separate pipe for each offshore pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

awesmoe posted:

I dont understand fluid mechanics, and I dont care, except as they relate to nuclear power production
People give ratios of offshore pumps to heat exchangers to turbines. Great. Does each of those offshore pumps have to be attached to its own separate fluid pipeline? or can i have one pipe feeding all my heat exchangers, with 5 offshore pumps hooked up to it?

Pipes, like belts, have a throughput cap. A pipe can't handle 1,000,000 units of water flowing through it a second, that poo poo's unrealistic and crazy.

So hooking up a massive water pump battery to like 1 pipe is gonna be a bad time, cause those 5 pumps will be bottlenecked by the pipe since they can't physically pump that much water through at once.

So the conventional way is to stick with having 1 water pump connected to the poo poo they're feeding.

PS: That deconstruction thing is god drat beautiful.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's a limit to how much water you can pump through one pipe (and it falls off with distance), so most people just do 1 pump/pipe. You can, with a lot of small pumps to repressurise the pipes every 3-4 tiles, fit something like 2.5 offshores into a single line, but that's a ton of effort and also way more expensive than just dragging another line.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Plus symmetrical and neat pipelines give everyone a boner. They look so god drat good.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What could you use the new deconstruction thing for, except for upgrading your electric poles and not removing nearby trees?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bhodi posted:

What could you use the new deconstruction thing for, except for upgrading your electric poles and not removing nearby trees?

I hated using the deconstruction planner in my base, cause I'd always inevitably wipe out poo poo I didn't wanna wipe out, and I'd not be quick enough to shift-deselect it before my swarm of bots tore it outta the ground. So setting it to not automatically remove roboports / chests would be a lifesaver. I never knew this was a feature, gonna use it more gratuitously in my base now, instead of just selecting things two or three at a time to make sure I don't accidentally my whole base.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bhodi posted:

You can deconstruct a forest / piece of factory without touching your pipeline, for instance.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Symmetrical and neat pipelines except for the randomness of where you have to situate your pumps along a shoreline.

Trying to do water piping is the most tedious and hellish part of doing large scale nuclear by far, and not being able to come up with a reasonable way to blueprint the actually annoying part is driving me batshit crazy. Makes me REALLY wish Factorio did aquifers. Nuclear just needs such absurd amounts of water.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Toadsmash posted:

Symmetrical and neat pipelines except for the randomness of where you have to situate your pumps along a shoreline.

Trying to do water piping is the most tedious and hellish part of doing large scale nuclear by far, and not being able to come up with a reasonable way to blueprint the actually annoying part is driving me batshit crazy. Makes me REALLY wish Factorio did aquifers. Nuclear just needs such absurd amounts of water.

Landfill the shoreline into a near straight line. Problem solving!

Also you can lay a line of pumps, then landfill a line two water tiles back from them, and lay another whole line of pumps!

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Bhodi posted:

Not exactly 100% vanilla but someone made an external program that can take a blueprint string of your base or base segment, filter to just belts, upgrade all the belts to blue, and then give you back a blueprint string with just the belt segments. Make a deconstructor only deconstruct all the slower belts and blueprint in that drop-in upgrade.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Holy hell why did I not think of that. That would've saved me about a half hour of hassle setting up my shiny new 1GW complex tonight.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Toadsmash posted:

Eh, it's no different than large scale steam engine power. I use at least one full underground pipe section between the shore and any boilers or heat exchangers and that gives a good chunk of space to work with.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

ShadowHawk posted:

If you're talking about productivity modules, this is exactly wrong.

Productivity modules save you a % of the input, and per module are best placed on things with a lot of net inputs. Labs are the canonical example (and of course the rocket silo), but also a step earlier such as engines and red circuits and processing units. A single productivity module in a lab can be literally 100 times more impactful than a productivity module in your smelter.

I don't know when you start producing modules but, by the time I do it, the factory is mostly asleep as I'm gearing up for rocket mass-production; basic research is a distant memory. When space packs start coming in, the whole factory will be moduled.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I guess makes sense. I've never really used the deconstruction planner like that, I'll have to try and remember to use it more.

Now we just need a purple replacement planner that lets you swap yellow belts for red ones :getin: (I know there's a mod but it'd be nice for it to be stock)

Have the top half of my new 1/sec science base as thanks, if anyone is annoyed or frustrated at belt hell and trying to get to blue science and above, it might give you a boost or some ideas for your own base:

blueprint here

It doesn't include any of the green/red/blue circuits which I tend to create on the other side of the belt. Inputs should be fairly obvious. I'm pretty proud of how clean it looks overall.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 10, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Toadsmash posted:

Holy hell why did I not think of that. That would've saved me about a half hour of hassle setting up my shiny new 1GW complex tonight.

Course you can blueprint it to save yourself the nightmare, mate. Just gotta think outside the box. Landfilling the shore to make it straight is definitely the first step, like other people have said. After that, you only need to worry about the initial piping right near the waterline. Organize it so the pipes eventually end up parallel to each other and beside each other.

For example, I had a water pump section that consisted of 10 water pumps to feed my massive steam engine outpost. I piped it up so all their outputs were right beside each other, then I just took a blueprint of 10 entrance underground pipes, and 10 exit underground pipes at max distance. Then all I had to do was spam that down for as long as I needed and let my personal roboport handle it. Then when I got to the steam engine outpost, I'd branch em out to where they need to be, but this time using a blueprint that just had one or two underground pipe blueprints.

My biggest downfall with blueprints is I'll be setting something up and never think about modularizing it cause I tell myself "eh this is a one off, I doubt I'll use this design again", but then two hours later I've realised I've wasted so much time hand-building all these god drat things that I could have saved myself from if I just took the time at the start to modularize it and blueprint it. No joke, I do this so much and it gets me frustrated. Only things I modularize and blueprint are basic stuff like train stations, rail junctions. I never bother with assembly lines, but I really ought to, cause it always consists of the same design I use.

Bhodi, that lab layout is so beautiful I almost wanna cry. I am totally stealing that idea.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 10, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

seravid posted:

I don't know when you start producing modules but, by the time I do it, the factory is mostly asleep as I'm gearing up for rocket mass-production; basic research is a distant memory. When space packs start coming in, the whole factory will be moduled.
I suspect the difference between you and I is that I'm playing on expensive tech / expensive recipes / 4x tech cost (Marathon mode).

Prod modules are much more worth it much sooner with those settings.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
The thing that drives me bonkers about blue prints is they go back into my inventory instead of the blueprint book I pulled them from.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
^^^^^ Why are you pulling them out of the book to use them? Pick up the book and shift+mousewheel to select, use it directly.

ShadowHawk posted:

I suspect the difference between you and I is that I'm playing on expensive tech / expensive recipes / 4x tech cost (Marathon mode).

Prod modules are much more worth it much sooner with those settings.

And for the endless research, and the nuke research, and anything else taking a lot of packs.

I will say, you want something akin to Bhodi's multiple lines feeding science into labs before you start passing them off. If you have too long of a line (Or a pretty spiral, like I did) you'll have great lightshows as the packs move around, but lower overall throughput as it makes it's way to the end of the chain.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

^^^^^ Why are you pulling them out of the book to use them? Pick up the book and shift+mousewheel to select, use it directly.

Probably the same reason I do: my blueprint book has a metric fucktonne of blueprints, and I don't wanna scroll for ages finding the blueprint I want. So I open it up and right click or whatever to select, but then instead of putting it back in my book, it auto-deposits into my inventory.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

DelphiAegis posted:

I will say, you want something akin to Bhodi's multiple lines feeding science into labs before you start passing them off. If you have too long of a line (Or a pretty spiral, like I did) you'll have great lightshows as the packs move around, but lower overall throughput as it makes it's way to the end of the chain.
The rainbow belt works well for late game labs. That way they can be more densly packed for beacon coverage.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Have more than one book. I use one for just starting a new game, one for when I'm up and running with red belts and blue assemblers and finally one for rail and defenses. When I eventually get to the point I'm reliably able to use beacons I'm planning on setting up another book for those. Using multiple books and naming the blueprints makes it pretty simple to find whatever I want.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's the way to do it. Have multiple books for different categories of blueprints. Like one rail book, one subassembly book, one defense book, etc..

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Really, with the new UI for saving blueprints between games, keeping blueprints and blueprint books as items doesn't make much sense to me. I hope they're phased out in a future update.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They already have the UI for it. We just need a feature for quickly selecting a blueprint. Like have a sidebar where you can put blueprints and select them with F1-F12 or something.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think it would make sense to have them not exist as items but still be able to be placed on the hotbar.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just make blueprints bound to a certain button, shift-scroll changes blueprints within the selected book, ctrl-scroll changes books? Would make handling blueprints way easier without having to keep switching between blueprint books by hand. Just use all keybindings.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

I think it would make sense to have them not exist as items but still be able to be placed on the hotbar.
Yeah that's what I mean. Instead of having them as items, drag them from the blueprint library to copy them to the "blueprint bar". When you take them off the blueprint bar they just disappear.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

A key bind to bring up a new blueprint would be handy. Maybe this exists and I don't know it

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I don't know, but I am guessing all your blue print problems are already solved by mods.

A quick search of the mod db brought me this and many other blueprint management mods.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/mISSAO/BlueprintRemover

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Is there a mod that does the opposite of landfill? Placeable water tiles for defensive purposes?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Vetitum posted:

Is there a mod that does the opposite of landfill? Placeable water tiles for defensive purposes?

Yes.

*edit: More than one.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Vetitum posted:

There might be, but it would be seriously overpowered as the biters are really unable to deal with water. It's basically an impenetrable wall, so you could very easily just water off entire sections instead of turret them (and landfill when you're ready to return)

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Vetitum posted:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Explosive%20Excavation

I use this one. A bit too cheesy personally for me to use it on the defensive side but I do like having it there for small lake or to clean up landfill mistakes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah that's what I mean. Instead of having them as items, drag them from the blueprint library to copy them to the "blueprint bar". When you take them off the blueprint bar they just disappear.

I mean the existing hotbar instead of making a new piece of ui with new buttons.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Speaking of my lovely mods, I've made a minor update to Side Inserters. There's now another shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+R) to rotate pickup anticlockwise, and the keybinds now also work on ghosted/blueprinted inserters - they won't appear to change, but if you turn on the Alt overlay you can see the pickup/insert locations move.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Stacks for nuclear power structures are all goofy. Everything stacks to 50 except for turbines, which only stack to 10. Nuclear reactors also stack to 50, which is, uh, a lot of reactors. It'd be nice if heat pipes stacked to 100 like regular pipes but whatever.

If you want an assembler to build you reactors then either set up a circuit on the inserter to put in less than one stack or be prepared to sink 25k red chips into reactors you'll probably never use.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
What is the best advice for setting up a very basic two reactor power station that can sustain itself when given uranium?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Regardless of the specific plan, it would be wise to at least leave room for a later expansion to four to get those massive adjacency bonuses. You could go bigger than that but four seems a happy medium between power and space considerations to begin with.

1x reactor = 40 megawatts total
2x reactor = 160 megawatts total
4x reactor = 480 megawatts total

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

What is the best advice for setting up a very basic two reactor power station that can sustain itself when given uranium?

KatherineOfSky, look her up on Youtube and just search nuclear reactor. her one is awesome. takes you from the start to the end. I posted it already but the effort of trudging through 6 pages for ur lazy rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
0.15.10 just downloaded, reading the changes notes I love this one:

Fixed crash when killing yourself with your own weapon.