Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/10/judge-dredd-tv-show/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ei-BY6dYY

Judge Dredd TV series in production.
2 years iso-cubes.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gildiss posted:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/10/judge-dredd-tv-show/

Judge Dredd TV series in production.
2 years iso-cubes.

Calling it, this is going to suck if it's not a prestige drama.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"independent U.K. games developer and publisher Rebellion have struck a deal to turn the iconic comic book character into a live-action TV show"

Nope

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The production company behind it apparently has a ton of projects in development but nothing broadcast yet (Except for "Ice," a drama about the diamond business on...AT&T's Audience Network, which I just learned about.) Still, being stewarded by the producers of the 2012 movie is encouraging. (The involvement of the former head of programming for Syfy...more of a mixed bag.)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

JethroMcB posted:

10 years ago their strategy was "Give like half a dozen comedians hybrid stand-up/sketch shows and pray like hell we recapture that Chappelle's Show lightning in a bottle"

There were some gems in there though, like Key and Peele, Sarah Silverman Show, Tosh.0 etc.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Welp I was still holding out hope that someone would pony up for a sequel to DREDD I guess that's officially dead. Dang.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Croatoan posted:

Welp I was still holding out hope that someone would pony up for a sequel to DREDD I guess that's officially dead. Dang.

To be honest I was holding out for a TV series as I think it's a better vehicle(no pun intended) for Dredd. I seem to remember there had been talk of doing one anyway if the last movie had been a success.

However I'll be treating this as vapourware until we actually see some names attached. So many similar projects get talked up in the very early stages before coming to nothing, like every Blake's 7 reboot that's ever been announced.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Only if they include Walter the Wobot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FXX is getting a deadpool animated series:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/10/entertainment/donald-glover-deadpool-series-fxx/index.html

Not sure how I feel about this, but I know at least one mod in here will be stoked. I didn't care for the movie at all, but donglover is producing...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
FXX is getting an animated Deadpool TV show with Donald and Stephen Glover as showrunners and animation by Floyd County (Archer).

Really curious to see how this turns out, especially because Marvel has the animation rights to all of their characters.

[Edit: gently caress, this is why I shouldn't take hours to make a post]

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
FXX is getting a Gossip Girl animated series titled X-O X-O: The Animation, animated by Studio Mir

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Frequency worked well enough as a mini series. All the loose ends were tied up and there was just a tiny plot hook for s2 in the very last scene.

Spoil me, did she ever change history resulting in her fiance being dead, because thats what I was expecting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lycus posted:

Spoil me, did she ever change history resulting in her fiance being dead, because thats what I was expecting.

Nah. He forgot who she was / didn't know she existed for most of the show because of time shenanigans, but then they fixed it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

swickles posted:

There were some gems in there though, like Key and Peele, Sarah Silverman Show, Tosh.0 etc.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who thought Demetri Martin was funny.

And calling Tosh.0 a "gem" is definitely arguable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stargate rules because it's like if Star Trek knew it was dumb.

MiddleOne posted:

Calling it, this is going to suck if it's not a prestige drama.

It's going to suck if it IS prestige drama.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nah. He forgot who she was / didn't know she existed for most of the show because of time shenanigans, but then they fixed it.

Oh, okay. I was ready to put money on the finale being them saving her mom, then suddenly finding out the fiance has been dead for years now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

FXX is getting a deadpool animated series:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/10/entertainment/donald-glover-deadpool-series-fxx/index.html

Not sure how I feel about this, but I know at least one mod in here will be stoked. I didn't care for the movie at all, but donglover is producing...

What he needs to be producing is more Atlanta

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Time has run out for Timeless (cause it was canceled.)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Really curious to see how this turns out, especially because Marvel has the animation rights to all of their characters.

Isn't Deadpool Marvel? Are you saying that FXX or whoever bought the animation rights for Deadpool?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looten Plunder posted:

Isn't Deadpool Marvel? Are you saying that FXX or whoever bought the animation rights for Deadpool?

Fox owns the movie / TV rights to Deadpool, along with the X-Men. Hence how they were able to make that movie and all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That doesn't sound right considering Deadpool kept showing up in that Spider-man cartoon.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

precision posted:

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who thought Demetri Martin was funny.

And calling Tosh.0 a "gem" is definitely arguable.

It was pretty funny for a couple seasons, I liked that they interviewed the people in viral videos too. Also, from CC's standpoint its a huge hit with a small budget.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Our long national nightmare is finally over! Last Man Standing has been canceled.

Also iZombie and The Originals have been renewed.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Im making my way through The Leftovers right now and I'm starting to see why Sepinwal hypes it so much. Takes a while to get going but it really is a great show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Time has run out for Timeless (cause it was canceled.)

Did any time travel show survive this season? Timeless, Time After Time, The Adam Pally comedy, Frequency. I guess Legends of Tomorrow, but that isn't a freshman show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think Making History has actually been canceled yet.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

swickles posted:

Also, from CC's standpoint its a huge hit with a small budget.

On the other hand, when your most successful show is literally just poo poo people can watch for free on YouTube padded out with talking head segments you may as well start digging a grave for your platform then and there.

The one upside was that eventually they realized they could just ditch Tosh and give money to the funny YouTube people directly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Guy Mann posted:

On the other hand, when your most successful show is literally just poo poo people can watch for free on YouTube padded out with talking head segments you may as well start digging a grave for your platform then and there.

The one upside was that eventually they realized they could just ditch Tosh and give money to the funny YouTube people directly.

Except Tosh is still going strong?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

Marvel's been limited with the characters they can use in their films and on TV because they sold some of the rights to some of their characters to Fox and Sony ages ago. Fox has rights to *most* of the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters for TV, film, and merchandise (but not all of them, which is how Marvel was able to make a Legion TV series). Sony's got the rights to Spidey and his associated characters, but since they're batting 1/5 with the Spider-Man films (Spider-Man 2, fight me) they traded the film rights to Marvel for Civil War and Spider-Man: Homecoming in exchange for the merchandising rights for the character.

This... complicates things quite a bit when it comes to movies and TV shows featuring Marvel characters, even ones that Marvel makes. It's incredibly unclear about which characters, exactly, fall under the "X-Men" banner, since a LOT of Marvel heroes have had the reason for their powers identified as a mutation. This has actually lead to some characters having the source of powers retconned in the comics Marvel publishes (a recent issue of Squirrel Girl, published when buzz about her getting a TV show was first starting up, explicitly stated that she was not, in fact, a mutant).

However, Marvel and Marvel alone holds the rights to animated versions of all of their characters, and they're the ones making this new animated series. This means that, in the upcoming animated series, we could very well see Deadpool, Spidey, and The Thing team up to kick the poo poo out of Namor (movie rights owned by Universal).

Here's a neat graphic showing which companies own the film rights to various Marvel characters:

[Edit: If you want to get really confused, the DC hero you think of as Captain Marvel is now known as Shazam, not to be confused with Marvel Comics' completely unrelated character called Captain Marvel. Comics are confusing as gently caress.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 11, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Marvel actually has the rights to Namor while Universal has the distribution rights to Hulk (hence why they don't make Hulk movies) The Watchers are also joint custody with Marvel and Fox apparently.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How the hell did Namor somehow get off on his own like that?

Did some movie exec somewhere along the line really go "You know the one comic character I really want to make a movie of? The Sub Mariner."

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

Marvel actually has the rights to Namor while Universal has the distribution rights to Hulk (hence why they don't make Hulk movies) The Watchers are also joint custody with Marvel and Fox apparently.

:v: Goddamn it, I thought I had everything right.

Really Disney should just throw a billion dollars at Fox and Sony and get all of Marvel's characters into the house of mouse, if only to make things less confusing.

[Edit: Maybe the most amusing thing to me is that, despite DC owning all film/TV/merch rights to all of their characters, they're really quite bad at making successful film adaptations of their properties (besides the ones based on Batman), and all their TV adaptations are currently drowning in mediocrity on the CW (besides Gotham, which was dead on arrival). That said, they did produce Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited, which are still my favorite comic adaptations to date.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 11, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love The Americans, but I feel like nothing has happened for this entire season. It's like they had a story ready and were like "poo poo, we need to save this arc for the final season," so they are just stalling for an entire season...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

lelandjs posted:

:v: Goddamn it, I thought I had everything right.

Really Disney should just throw a billion dollars at Fox and Sony and get all of Marvel's characters into the house of mouse, if only to make things less confusing.
I rather Marvel just get the FF character rights since that's where all the best Marvel villains are.

STAC Goat posted:

How the hell did Namor somehow get off on his own like that?

Did some movie exec somewhere along the line really go "You know the one comic character I really want to make a movie of? The Sub Mariner."
Marvel basically sold the farm in the 90s

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I love The Americans, but I feel like nothing has happened for this entire season. It's like they had a story ready and were like "poo poo, we need to save this arc for the final season," so they are just stalling for an entire season...

Nah, things are definitely happening this season. Now season 3 was the one that was slow(even for this show) and had nothing happen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

achillesforever6 posted:

I rather Marvel just get the FF character rights since that's where all the best Marvel villains are.

Yeah, I know that. But Namor? Really? Less well known Aquaman?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah people don't realize just HOW BAD of shape Marvel was in during the 90s. Literally any attempt they made trying to make a movie flopped, while DC had consistently mediocre to good films, they lost some of their best and brightest artists along with Rob Liefeld with the Image debacle, etc. 90s comics were style over substance, and they lost their style.

Back then liking comics was generally not an acceptable thing. It was for us nerds and dweebs. So Marvel had to do what they could to stay alive. Then good ol RDJ came along and made comic movies cool and the Titanic unsunk itself, but they sold off their best characters to Fox and Sony, and had to rely on the B team of the Avengers to bring things back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This season of The Americans has probably been my favorite since season 2. So much character movement, and I can definitely see how they're setting some pieces up for the final season.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

What are you talking about, they have great non-FF villains! Like that one giant purple guy who's gonna get out of his loving chair and put on a glove or something eventually.

I actually kind of liked Ronan the Accuser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We're going to keep getting terrible FF movies outside the MCU forever just so Fox doesn't have to give up Doctor Doom.

Although I do have hopes that the Spider-Man deal will work out well enough for Sony that it leads to the same thing for FF/Fox. But they'll probably just reboot things again and write it off with another X-Men movie.

I'm kind of surprised they've never just had Doom fight Wolverine.

• Locked thread