Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I still think it's gonna be Frank Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Lord Krangdar posted:

That makes me curious, who does Kevin date in the comics?

I don't believe he has a steady love interest as a teenager in the regular comics, but in the particular comic where Archie took a bullet for him, he was married to a doctor named Clay, whom he met at physical therapy after coming back from active duty.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

He's looking particularly DILF-y.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Veronica went from lounging around in a nightie to a full outfit to go find Jughead at Pop's in the middle of the night; T-shirts and jeans aren't even in this girl's wardrobe, huh?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Well there's our Blossom incest twist. Seriously though they would be at best 3rd cousins right? Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
A lot is happening this episode. :stare:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yeah, pretty distant, but still. I don't know that "Coopers ARE Blossoms" was on anybody's board.

And now we've got a heroin overdose - things are ratcheting up but fast here in the home stretch!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Anyone else kind of think Cheryl was about to go full-on revenge murder? Because I sure did.

EDIT: Well, I think I just spotted the shot where KJ broke his arm!

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 5, 2017

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

So that preview "Something wicked this way comes". They better not be loving with us.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I liked that they were unambiguous in wrapping up the biggest parts of the whodunnit this hour...but kinda hate that it means next week is pretty obviously going to be a full hour of setup and hooks for Season 2. The wait is going to be interminable, especially if it's another 13 episodes instead of a full season (Even though the shorter run probably works in the show's favor.)

Edmund Lava posted:

So that preview "Something wicked this way comes". They better not be loving with us.

I hope they are. I'm perfectly happy with the show tackling over-the-top teen soap material with a suitably arch, self-aware sensibility, WITHOUT having to lean on genre hoodoo. Leave that to literally everything else on the CW.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Given the sheer insanity of this season, it honestly didn't matter that much who killed Jason to me. I had theories on everyone from the Coopers to Cheryl in a fugue state to Jughead's identical cousin Nathan (he's a real character drat it!). I was more about the craziness of the ride, and boy howdy, was it crazy. And it's not even over yet!

Basically, I am not watching this show for the mystery. I am watching for poo poo like that close-up of Cheryl's crisply made-up eyes as a single tear falls from each in turn, followed by her marching downstairs in slow-motion to some depressing indie song to confront her brother's murderer. For poo poo like Jughead giving an oscar-worthy performance of the heartbroken, disillusioned son to try and suss out his dad's innocence or guilt. I am watching this show to see teenage sleuths infiltrate gangbangers' apartments and find dead bodies in bathtubs.

I loving love this trashy garbage show.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This show :allears: First episode of the season starts with a pedophile, last ends with "inbreeding", a heroin overdose and filicide.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JESUS H CHRIST NETFLIX HURRY UP AND POST THIS EPISODE I NEED IT NOW

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

GobiasIndustries posted:

This show :allears: First episode of the season starts with a pedophile, last ends with "inbreeding", a heroin overdose and filicide.

It ain't even the last. At this rate next week will have reanimation, will forgery, and the Pussycats being relevant.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shneak posted:

It ain't even the last. At this rate next week will have reanimation, will forgery, and the Pussycats being relevant.

Oh man, and here I was thinking that this was the season finale. Nice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Shneak posted:

Thank God, I need to have Sabrina the teenaged witch.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Man, a shittier show would've swerved at the last minute and pinned the murder on Polly for a cheap "DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND" pop. I love that the Blossoms were on the board as potential suspects fairly early on and the show followed through on it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

DivisionPost posted:

Man, a shittier show would've swerved at the last minute and pinned the murder on Polly for a cheap "DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND" pop. I love that the Blossoms were on the board as potential suspects fairly early on and the show followed through on it.

Or the recording would have been deleted somehow, stolen on the way to the cops or have it taken by a deputy on Cliff Blossom's payroll. After many years of lazy (mostly non-CW) TV show writing that always takes away the crucial evidence as soon as they provide this was SO good to see handled like this.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

now I'm more curious than ever what momma Jones & jelly bean are up to, though :ohdear:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
This show is fun but I'll be kinda disappointed if it doesn't take a batshit insane turn into the supernatural

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DivisionPost posted:

I was afraid they'd go the "Yeah, Mustang, that guy we totally showed you one time is the real murderer!!!" route and wuss out of having anyone actually important get the rap. Glad they didn't.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I've been coasting on the belief that the murder was consensually between the Blossoms and the Coopers because I haven't put that much thought into it and I was kind of right? :lol:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
everything i keep saying about syrup when i am talking to my pals about this show keeps ending up more and more right

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I wonder at which point they decided to make the comic relief character of the digests into the designated emotional pincushion of the TV show. Seriously, the latter half of the season was basically "hey, let's stab Jughead in the heart! Over, and over, and over again!"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This show is a basically a slightly clumsy Veronica Mars with a giant cinematography budget and it's great.

Also, Betty's actress is :love:

crepeface fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 6, 2017

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spergatory posted:

I wonder at which point they decided to make the comic relief character of the digests into the designated emotional pincushion of the TV show. Seriously, the latter half of the season was basically "hey, let's stab Jughead in the heart! Over, and over, and over again!"
It's been said in a lot of think pieces about Archie, but what makes stuff like this and Afterlife work is that the Archie characters are essentially archetypes who can be easily placed into any situation. There's no real underlying premise to Archie comics. It's all the characters.

Jughead's always been the outsider in the comics. In the more lighthearted comics that means that he's the guy who rolls his eyes at all the love triangles. In a CW show, he's Donnie Darko. I think the other problem with adapting a Jughead closer to the comics version is that you'd end up with someone constantly rolling his eyes and making fun of the over-the-topness of the show. Once Riverdale becomes a show that points out how insane it is rather than a show that includes lines like "This is eugenics is done now!" then they've lost their way.

I think at the end of the day though Jughead is an Archie Comics character who doesn't really want to be in Archie Comics. He wants to be in Riverdale, but he doesn't want to be in a comics about love triangles. Riverdale Jughead is a CW character who doesn't want to be on the CW. So it all works for me.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Someone in the Comic Strip Megathread posts Archie newspaper comic strips from the 50s, and it turns out Jughead could get pretty sardonic even back then

Slammy posted:

Archie (December, 1955, click for big)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

someone awful. posted:

Someone in the Comic Strip Megathread posts Archie newspaper comic strips from the 50s, and it turns out Jughead could get pretty sardonic even back then

Riverdale Archie could never land a sick burn like that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I should have seen that reveal coming a mile away. This show is inspired by Twin Peaks so (Twin Peaks spoiler) of course the dad did it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jamesman posted:

I should have seen that reveal coming a mile away. This show is inspired by Twin Peaks so (Twin Peaks spoiler) of course the dad did it.

Speaking of which, there are so many scenes with Alice Cooper handling pie or making pie, and I love it. Serving Shelly Johnson realness.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Dammit Jason, how much clearer can I say there's always money in the syrup barn!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rapeface posted:

Also, Betty's actress is :love:

Beyond the biological impossibility of Chloe Sevigny and Blake Lively having a kid, their daughter would not be 20 already no matter what

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Thanks to everyone in this thread who's mentioned checking out Sex Archie. I just wanted to pop in here and drop off the recipe for something Alaina whipped up for Thursday: The Sticky Maple

The Sticky Maple
(A coconut maple white chocolate chip Blondie with a maple glaze!)

By Alaina of Sex Archie

Celebrate the season finale of Riverdale by joining us for a Sticky Maple

Blondie
1/2 c. butter
1/3 c. maple syrup
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt (if using salted butter, this can be left out)
1 c. flour
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
1/3 c. coconut
1/3 c. nuts (pecans or walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
Using stove top, put butter in pan and make brown butter (there are lots of great step by step instructions for this online if you have never done it).
Cool to room temp.
Add syrup and sugar, mix.
Add egg, vanilla, salt, mix.
Add flour, mix.
Stir in chips, coconut and nuts.
Bake 25-30 minutes. Test with toothpick. Let cool completely.

Maple Glaze
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. syrup
1/4 c. brown sugar

Melt butter on stove.
Add syrup and sugar and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool to room temp.

Cut Blondies (Jughead hat shape is optional) and spoon glaze over.
Its best to only glaze ones you plan to eat right away. Extra glaze can be stored in fridge.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I spent the whole season thinking Betty-as-Polly killed Jason but now I'm pretty sure that Jason isn't dead.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

fadam posted:

I spent the whole season thinking Betty-as-Polly killed Jason but now I'm pretty sure that Jason isn't dead.

You don't have to spoiler speculation. Also, why? I would understand if they didn't find a body, but they did. A compete, bloated corpse with ligature marks, frozen fingers and toes, and a hole in its head, that was preserved enough to still be identifiable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sabrina is going to bring Jason back to life.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
putting my money on their being a syrup golem in this episode

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm glad the video evidence wasn't magically destroyed

In most shows the definitive proof would never just be taken to the police

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the avclub spoiled me that (HUGE SPOILERS) jughead eats a hamburger in tonight's episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinterest Mom posted:

the avclub spoiled me that (HUGE SPOILERS) jughead eats a hamburger in tonight's episode

Finally.

• Locked thread