Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
edit: He said he'll take $5,000.

Hes been driving it for 6-7 years, wants to sell for some farm equipment. He mentioned there was an oil leak at one point that he fixed, it was some loose bolts at the valve cover. No issues that arent cosmetic. He said that someone else came to look at the car and thought that the grab point for the clutch seems a little higher than usual. Said it might be adjustable, but that it still grabs just fine.

H2SO4 posted:

WHY HAVENT YOU BOUGHT THAT CAPRI YET
The four speed transmission doesn't have many nice things said about it online. Anyone ever use one before?

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Hell yeah. Just looked at the pics on my PC instead of my phone and it looks awesome. I picked up my Maverick for a bit under that.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
replace the whole transmission for $2k
https://lmr.com/item/M7003ZK/1983-93-Mustang-T5-World-Class-Transmission-Kit-M-7003-Z

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Rolo posted:

Oof that's pretty.

Are Fox's hard to work on? It looks like the engine compartment would be really small.

If you have trouble working around a fox body engine compartment then you'll have trouble working on pretty much any car in the world. It doesn't get much easier.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

frozenphil posted:

If you have trouble working around a fox body engine compartment then you'll have trouble working on pretty much any car in the world. It doesn't get much easier.

Shoulda just GIS's the engine compartment. Derp!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Told the guy I would take it, pending a satisfactory test drive.

Unless someone offers him $5,500 I suppose.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is that the same four speed they used with the 2.3 contemporary?

If so, I had fun with it. It's not like greatest gearbox in the world or anything, but I wouldn't imagine you're expecting that in this car. It worked well, has a decent if heavy feel.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
And it's not like you can't get a T-5 in fair condition for $150 on craigslist if you hate the 4-speed. It's a dead simple swap.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Cage posted:

He said that someone else came to look at the car and thought that the grab point for the clutch seems a little higher than usual. Said it might be adjustable, but that it still grabs just fine.

That's pretty common on the foxes. I bought a BBK adjustable clutch cable kit and it was easy to adjust.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I figured, thats good to hear. The plan is to see him on Sat and take it for a test drive. As long as everything seems okay Ill take it. Anything specific to these cars I should look at closely? It will have to make the 1.5 hour trip back home which doesn't sound like it'll be an issue.

Ive never delt with drum brakes before either but the car doesn't go that fast so not too worried. I know there will be a bunch of rear disc conversions out there anyway.

Other notes: 4 lug wheels and 14 inch wheels. :3:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

Ive never delt with drum brakes before either but the car doesn't go that fast so not too worried. I know there will be a bunch of rear disc conversions out there anyway.

I was going to say, modding any Fox car is pretty much easy-mode because they're simple and insanely well supported in the aftermarket.

In terms of braking performance, rear drums are fine for that car as it sits. You'll cook the front discs long before you toast the rears. They are just enough of a pain to maintain to be worth getting rid of.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Possible danger? Found this old fordmuscle.com "classified of the day" type article for this car and it looks like it was from August of last year when he was trying to sell it for 10k. It mentions something that isnt quite in todays ad:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/news/dare-to-be-different-with-this-1983-mercury-capri-rs-5-0/

ebay ad posted:

“It would be fair to call this car ‘restored’ however there is still a little work to do. The motor has been rebuilt, the body has been professionally worked and painted, the list of new parts is endless. Reputable local shops have done all the work. Kirkum Engine and automotive built the engine. It’s a mild build, but a very stout runner. I would estimate the engine to be in the 275 HP range. Definitely an upgrade from stock. The paint is awesome, Done by Crosby Creek collision. I have pictures of the car stripped to bare metal and the motor on an engine stand being redone.”

So either its a typo, hes bullshitting the hp by 100 (175 stock), or he added power somewhere which is exactly what I heard was bad for this transmission. Ill have to ask him about that.

relink of ebay at to compare: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Mercury-Capri-RS-/172668142357?hash=item2833d2c315:g:CEcAAOSwlMFZEnmT&vxp=mtr

Cage fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 12, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think there is some legitimate concern, but I also wouldn't remotely believe the power figure the seller gives. Dude is almost certainly intentionally inflating his "estimated" numbers.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well I was straight up (in a text) to him and told him what I found, we'll see what he says.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would block you as a seller.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
275 is hardly a fanciful number for a mildly built 302.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I doubt its 275 but I also don't really see any issue there either.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Elephanthead posted:

I would block you as a seller.

What?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
After talking with the guy I still feel pretty good about it. He seems to know his stuff, just got a little showboaty when he was trying to make more money off it last year. Meeting him at 9 am tomorrow.

edit: :rip: me

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

An SROD apologist‽ I've seen everything now.
I fully appreciate the irony of this post coming from me.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

frozenphil posted:

An SROD apologist‽ I've seen everything now.
I fully appreciate the irony of this post coming from me.
Anything specific for the transmission I should look for beyond noise/clutch friction?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Guess this thread​ is as good as any to ask, and it's kind of on transmission chat now, how are AOD transmissions?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Cage posted:

Anything specific for the transmission I should look for beyond noise/clutch friction?

Getting rid of that useless third pedal is a good start. :cool:
Actual answer: not really. It will either last the life of your ownership or poo poo the bed rapidly.

As Nero Danced posted:

Guess this thread​ is as good as any to ask, and it's kind of on transmission chat now, how are AOD transmissions?

Garbage. Either go C4 or 4R70W depending on what body it's in. You can make AODs not suck, but the cost to do so would get you a better transmission to work with.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

frozenphil posted:

Getting rid of that useless third pedal is a good start. :cool:
Actual answer: not really. It will either last the life of your ownership or poo poo the bed rapidly.

Garbage. Either go C4 or 4R70W depending on what body it's in. You can make AODs not suck, but the cost to do so would get you a better transmission to work with.

It'd be going in a 65 comet, which is kind-of-sort-of-but-not-really a 65 mustang mechanically​. I think it already has a C4 in it, but Mercury liked the name merc-o-matic and put it on a couple different transmissions so I've been a bit confused.

Guess gas mileage is just gonna suck on the interstate, but it's gotta move under its own power before I worry about that.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Didn't buy it.

You had to really slam the doors to get it to latch, and there was a trick with the door handle. You couldn't just pull it, you had to pull it and pivot. The hatch doesnt stay up without holding it, its missing a piece of flex hose from both sides of the intake. The gas pedal was very stiff and almost impossible to feather, clutch was fine but the shifter felt like mush. Brakes were barely there.

Sounded neat though. Too bad it was an hour and a half away.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Bummer. Sounds like it would've taken a good amount of cash to rehab it into proper working order though, so you made the right call.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
That's a shame and I probably would have been pretty upset with that dude if the car was actually that bad.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
It is a shame because the guy was super friendly and seemed to know a lot about the car. He wanted to give me his number if I bought it so that I'd give him first dibs on it if I wanted to sell it. He really hated to sell it.

Oh and even with the seat back I was too tall for the car. It was super awkward to drive. I know seat extensions exist but at that point I knew I didn't want the car.

Oh well.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I suppose this isn't too high for a year and a half of ownership.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm at 1 year, 6k miles and like 17mpg, but I also have a stretch of highway with no places for the fuzz to hide between me and work :)

Assuming that's the 5.0. How do you like it?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

2015 with the 5.0 and a manual, I loving love it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Q_res posted:

I suppose this isn't too high for a year and a half of ownership.

September 2015, I have 12.3k on mine. But my average is 15-16. 😈

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Lifetime mpg on my EB is like 22 I think. I do a lot of city driving though, and the tune sucks a lot of fuel rip.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I get about 22-24 on the highway and about 14 in the city with my 5.0.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I average 22 and some change

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It warms my heart to see 5.0's getting better mileage than my old Duratec Escape.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I have to remember to hit one of the no-Ethanol stations next time I fill up, be interesting to see if I still get as large a gain in mpg using that. With my previous mustang it was good for jumping from 13->16ish mpg around town.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It warms my heart to see 5.0's getting better mileage than my old Duratec Escape.

Yeah, I'm not at all pissed at my MPG's especially since I have a performance pack car and Ford says it's good for 23 highway. I only got 25ish in my focus ST when I had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

I have to remember to hit one of the no-Ethanol stations next time I fill up, be interesting to see if I still get as large a gain in mpg using that. With my previous mustang it was good for jumping from 13->16ish mpg around town.

As someone who has a no ethanol 91 station and an ethanol 91 station both around the corner from me, i can say I have never noticed a huge difference in MPG. Maybe 1-2.