Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
its sad that his fans have nothing going on in their own lives that they have to resort to hating a gigantic nerd who hit it big and is now enjoying the twilight years of his life.

especially when the lightning in a bottle that made him famous isnt even that good in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I don't hate the guy but it's been twenty loving years, man. I would've put AGoT back on the shelf at Borders and walked away back then if I knew that 20 years later, there still wouldn't be an end to this thing.

But HBO will give us an ending either way, so it's fine.

At this point, I think this thread is just ragging on him because it's funny, not because people are actually, like, super mad.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Yeah discussing AFFC was fun back in 2005 but now I don't really give a poo poo and just check this thread every so often because it's in my bookmarks.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

powerful sex moves posted:

I don't hate the guy but it's been twenty loving years, man. I would've put AGoT back on the shelf at Borders and walked away back then if I knew that 20 years later, there still wouldn't be an end to this thing.

But HBO will give us an ending either way, so it's fine.

At this point, I think this thread is just ragging on him because it's funny, not because people are actually, like, super mad.

We're like those 80 year old starlets who publish "whatever, I'm over it" biographical accounts of how they were molested in their youth with a hard earned "boys will be boys" view point now that the youthful outrage and self respect has faded.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

TommyGun85 posted:

its sad that his fans have nothing going on in their own lives that they have to resort to hating a gigantic nerd who hit it big and is now enjoying the twilight years of his life.

especially when the lightning in a bottle that made him famous isnt even that good in the first place.

It's not like checking this thread once every few weeks and commenting on the absolute fucker is some kind of full time job

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

writing is the easiest job on the planet once you have a hit series. you can work whenever, you don't have to go into an office, you aren't gonna get fired, it's stress free. the problem is you gotta actually do some work.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I just wish he'd poo poo or get off the pot, and stop pretending like there's a non embarrassing outcome to the corner he's painted himself in with the TV show. He spent like 15 years writing 3/4ths of a bad book and that was before he had HBO money and fame. I think it's 50/50 on TWOW ever coming out, way more unlikely that it's good, and absolutely impossible that the fat nerd finishes the series. Even in a universe where he does finish TWOW and lives to sell another book, the TV series will be long dead and no one is going to want to read 1000 pages of TV adaptation.

Just take the money and run, George. Live your life.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm really almost positive the novel is gonna come out in June. Quote me in this. You guys will all be dropping your jaws and I'll be all like "I knew it :smug:"

I have no evidence beyond an intuitive sense. I haven't thought about or been particularly interested in the book series for a good 5 years at least, and now I find myself feeling bizarrely interested and compelled to think about it.

I just want to say something about the books very quickly, which is that it's extremely easy to forget just how much more complex and interwoven the books are when compared to the TV show, which has no compunctions about condensing characters and locations and plot arcs together, cheating the timeline, and skipping over scenes that are positively crucial in the book - all in the interest of telling a more coherent and straightforward story.

I also sort of hat to say this, but ever since the show started to diverge significantly from the source material starting in season 4 and 5 (seasons 1 through 3 are remarkably faithful) it's felt like it's been turning more and more into a traditional fantasy series.

By 'traditional fantasy series' I mean that everything feels... well, you KNOW what's going to happen, and what you think you KNOW will happen has happened exactly in the manner you thought. We all *knew* that Jon Snow wasn't really dead or would come back to life, and he dead. Go back earlier to the Hardhome battle - epic and awesome as it was, we all KNEW that Jon Snow would make it through alive, and of course he did. During the "Battle of the Bastards," traditional heroic fantasy storytelling dictates that Ramsay will suffer a horrible loss and we will see Sansa/Jon take revenge and take back Winterfell. And that's exactly what happens, with the Knights of the Vale saving the day just like Gandalf and the troops from Gondor arriving at Helm's Deep. And *nobody* truly important died on the "Stark" side (can't really count Rickon as a legitimate character, sorry).

The most intriguing and interesting part of the fifth book - the northern lords under seige in Winterfell slowly betraying each other with mysterious murders occurring and an almost supernatural storm bearing down on them - not even a remnant of that story exists, or of Young Griff's story (and about 5/6s of Tyrion's plot-line in book 5) is simply replaced with really boring and rote material, quite frankly. And even so I can't really blame them because a lot of Tyrion's journey us downright unfilmably boring even for TV. It's not that I'm upset that they changed things, it's that they changed things in such a way that it feels like they're subverting what makes the entire series worthwhile, which is the role of death and the nature of death and the fact that the "good guys" can and will "lose" in the traditional manner and still wind up winning in the end - and the same goes for the "bad guys" or vice versa.

What's kinda lovely is that in the last couple of seasons is that we really truly HAVE good guys and bad guys. Cersei is clearly set up to be nefarious and evil by any standard, while Dany is clearly set up too be righteous and ethical - and the same guys for Jon Snow. And the White Walkers of course are presented entirely as an unknown destructive force that is most definitely "evil" as far as the show seems to be concerned.

This is all so basic and so predictable and so boring, in a way. I'll watch it but at this point it feels more like a cheesy amusement park ride than an intriguing story being told. The sad truth is that the first 3 books were adapted faithfully and accurately because the source material was still really loving good!! The big memorable moment of season 4 - Mountain vs Red Viper - is obviously another climactic awesome moment from the end of book 3. And then we have no more great moments like that in the book, really, until the last few pages of book 5, the more interesting climax being nixed by the show for obvious reason.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling I probably don't make any drat sense. I've just lost faith in the show's ability to kill of beloved characters in lieu of only killing off hated characters. A GoT universe with Walder Frey, Joffrey, or Ramsay leaves us basically with Cersei to hate kinda, Littlefinger, and uh... er, Euron maybe? They even killed the High Sparrow, a great new antagonist the show created. So I don't know, the show feels pretty screwed up to me right now. I'm sure it'll be fun to watch. But I'm sadly hoping for the book....

What actually gives me some hope about this novel is that the chapters he's read all have seemed pretty good... Most of all I think the two GoT novellas he wrote since ADWD (The Mystery Knight and especially The Princess and the Queen) were just fabulously good, especially the latter, which is a "loose" chronicle of the Dance of the Dragons - the Targaryen Civil War - and is just a great goddamn piece of writing. You could make one HELL of a miniseries out of that story,

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
You think the novel's coming out in a month when it hasn't even been announced yet? What a weird thing to think.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
source your quotes, ser

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

kaworu posted:

This is all so basic and so predictable and so boring, in a way. I'll watch it but at this point it feels more like a cheesy amusement park ride than an intriguing story being told. The sad truth is that the first 3 books were adapted faithfully and accurately because the source material was still really loving good!! The big memorable moment of season 4 - Mountain vs Red Viper - is obviously another climactic awesome moment from the end of book 3. And then we have no more great moments like that in the book, really, until the last few pages of book 5, the more interesting climax being nixed by the show for obvious reason.

I kinda agree with that. The source material after book 3 is really not fit for TV (and is bad). But and what they created to replace it is just awful

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

powerful sex moves posted:

You think the novel's coming out in a month when it hasn't even been announced yet? What a weird thing to think.

My mind does not compute season 7 starting before book 5. It's just too much of a differential.

But it's not THAT weird there have been rumors that the book is already in production, and I've heard rumors that they were planning a surprise release just before the premiere of a new season, to allow the two to build up the hype.

It does seem odd that a shortened 7-episode series is resulting in a very much delayed release - typically we'd be nearly halfway through the season by now! But even though each and every one of the last seasons began in the spring, this one's beginning in midsummer. They said it was to get more wintry weather, but they only started a month late, with filming lasting seemingly a good bit longer, even though they have 3 less episodes to do :shrug:

But my little conspiracy theory is that this season was delayed for a Winds of Winter release in June. I know it's a bit weird, but I mean, A Dance with Dragons was announced about 3 months before it's launch. 1 month ain't so much of a stretch, especially if they're rushing to get it all ready and don't want to announce until the presses are actually rolling.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The adventures of Brienne and Pod in the show were like 1000x better than the book

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

kaworu posted:

My mind does not compute season 7 starting before book 5. It's just too much of a differential.

lol

If either party gave a flying gently caress about that they would have done something before an entire season existed in spoilertown

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

kaworu posted:

But my little conspiracy theory is that this season was delayed for a Winds of Winter release in June.

There is now way HBO gives a poo poo about the books that their flagship series is based on. They would never delay the release of their biggest moneymaker just so GRRM can finish a book that may or may not actually exist.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wasn't Season 4 kind of a holding pattern because D&D were still fooling themselves that GRRM might finish the book?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TommyGun85 posted:

its sad that you have nothing going on in your own life that you have resort to hating his fans who have nothing going on in their own lives such that they have to resort to hating a gigantic nerd who hit it big and is now enjoying the twilight years of his life.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

kaworu posted:

But my little conspiracy theory is that this season was delayed for a Winds of Winter release in June. I know it's a bit weird, but I mean, A Dance with Dragons was announced about 3 months before it's launch. 1 month ain't so much of a stretch, especially if they're rushing to get it all ready and don't want to announce until the presses are actually rolling.

I will bet you any amount of money you are wrong.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The last 2 seasons were shortened and delayed because they're CG heavy as gently caress, they announced this towards the end of last season. The need the same amount (or probably event more) money, and more time for less episodes because of dragons and zombies.

I remember a ton of rumors and talk last year about how the book was totally coming out to coincide with season 6. Hell, season 5 probably did the same thing. It'll never happen.

There's a lot more plot armor and predictable outcomes now, but that's an unavoidable side effect of being this far into a story that's too drat long. How could there be any sort of coherent narrative if Dany died on the way back to her home planet continent? You can't keep killing off characters who have been around since season 1, because there's so few left now, and someone needs to live to accomplish something. Even if the story didn't become overly bloated, we all know this was going to end in fantasy dragons and ice zombies, even if it did a great job of making us forget this from time to time.

Finally, I thought season 4 was middling, and season 5 was down right garbage (except Hardhome) but season 6 started okay and got steadily better until the last two episodes, which were some of the best episodes of the series.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kavak posted:

Wasn't Season 4 kind of a holding pattern because D&D were still fooling themselves that GRRM might finish the book?

nah. there's just no reason to progress your plot when people will give you money to just see some boobs in a fantasy setting once a week.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

kaworu posted:

I'm really almost positive the novel is gonna come out in June. Quote me in this.
You've already lost.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Woodpile posted:

You've already lost.

Did he say WHICH june?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

40 posts did the book come out or something? no? ok.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I kinda agree with that. The source material after book 3 is really not fit for TV (and is bad). But and what they created to replace it is just awful

They've been remarkably faithful to the overall narrative arc of the book series. A great tale through the Red Wedding, followed by a rapid descent to poo poo[ting in a field].

It's like poetry; it rhymes.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 8, 2017

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

kcroy posted:

its sad that you have nothing going on in your own life that you have resort to hating his fans who have nothing going on in their own lives such that they have to resort to hating a gigantic nerd who hit it big and is now enjoying the twilight years of his life.

lol, this could turn into one of them vicious circles...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, thought gurm died or something with so many posts. I still think he's going to die in a June. Quote me on that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's not like checking this thread once every few weeks and commenting on the absolute fucker is some kind of full time job

me: oh goodness, SIX new posts in the GRRM thread?! busy week! what has that absolute fucker been up to?!

one minute later

me: gosh, am i winded. i better lay down

eats six pizzas and drinks four litres of cola

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

-

kaworu fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 6, 2021

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

kaworu posted:

Well, I at least provided you guys with a fleeting moment of hope, right? Just the fact that this hasn't been beaten out of all of you entirely impresses the hell out of me. I'm like, crazy young in this waiting game, I started reading in 2010 and ADWD (and the show) came out just as I had struggled through the last of AFFC, hoping the next book would be a great return to form :( Then I hoped that Winds of Winter would get published promptly because it's not like he's gonna take another DECADE to release a sprawling unedited book (either in two parts or one) right? Right? Ri... :smith:

I'm honestly not as deluded as I sound, I just like to hold out hope. I also HONESTLY trust my intuition. I very rarely take wild guesses and when I get a feeling or hunch about something i usually trust it and it is usually right. Even though it could absolutely be wrong.

All the way back in, like... I don't know, 2011 or 2012 or something, when the hype level was still a bit high that Winds of Winter might come out by like the end of 2014 or something and new fans could not understand why it would take longer than 2 years to finish almost any given novel. Nate Silver, who was still contributing to 538, did an analysis based on all available information about GRRM's writing speed, obviously weighting recent data (where things took him even longer) more heavily and projecting that into the future, and so forth.

Anyway, Silver state the VERY unpopular opinion at that time that GRRM *might* unreasonable finish the book by 2015 or so, but the odds were infinitesimal. He said that the most likely outcome if GRRM kept on the plodding pace he's known for, the books were most likely to come out sometime in 2017, but that there was obviously still a reasonable chance it could come out in 2018 or even as late as 2020. Just like it was a huge outlier for the book to come out as early as 2015.

It's nice to think that it'll probably be out in the next three years, if we're lucky. But I really do have a feeling about June!

Hope is a mistake.

I wonder how fast GRRM will become irrelevant once the HBO series have finished.
He will in all likelihood end up going to every other fantasy convention to sign autographs and pretend that soon the book will be out, while he slowly slides out of focus and is forgotten.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't think anyone genuinely cares if the books come out at this point.

We'll read them, but it's like they'd suck anyway so whatever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

and more time for less episodes because of dragons and zombies.

Fewer.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016
GEORGE R. R. SALINGER

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

IRQ posted:

I used to look forward to reading his excuses about why the books are done, but even those have dried up lately. Remember that year he wrote a really long heartfelt explanation on Dec 31st about why the books weren't finished that year, but then his blogging software ate it, so instead we just got a short paragraph about how blogging software sucks and his assurances that the no longer existing post was really good?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

IRQ posted:

I honestly hope they never come out and he dies while making GBS threads on the toilet

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
He has both of them done and will publish them when the last HBO show is airing.

It is known

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

He has both of them done and will publish them when the last HBO show is airing.

It is known

Aw shucks, now that there's gonna be 4 new HBO shows we'll never get these books.

*poutingly kicks pebble

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

He has both of them done and will publish them footage of himself burning the only copy when the last HBO show is airing.

It is known

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He's only burning it so that no one finds out that it's blank.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Cardiac posted:

Hope is a mistake.

I wonder how fast GRRM will become irrelevant once the HBO series have finished.
He will in all likelihood end up going to every other fantasy convention to sign autographs and pretend that soon the book will be out, while he slowly slides out of focus and is forgotten.

He'll be remembered solely for his Wikipedia entry which will state that he is the novelist who unsuccessfully attempted to adapt the hit HBO series Game of Thrones into a series of novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

ZShakespeare posted:

He'll be remembered solely for his Wikipedia entry which will state that he is the novelist who unsuccessfully attempted to adapt the hit HBO series Game of Thrones into a series of novels.

I'm pretty sure he's mostly gonna be remembered for all the grotesque poo poo they find in his basement.