Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does she not show that side of her to the protagonist when he's looking?

She does, and the protag just goes "haha, well, that's our Caster!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even in Extra I recall her being really mean-spirited towards everyone but the MC. "Devoted" is the nice way of describing her behavior but "a would-be bully who doesn't have enough power over her would-be victims to actually bully them" seems like a reasonable assessment. I haven't unlocked her route in Extella but if she acts the same way to her allies that she does to her enemies then it's not unfair at all.

Personality-wise she really really reminds me of a dog--in this case, a guard dog. Extremely devoted to her master, lives for her master's praise, but will bark and bite at anybody who even remotely resembles a vague threat to them, even if it's completely unwarranted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The thing about Tamamo is that she just isn't a person. She's a goddess first, a fox second, and a person a very distant third. Just look at her reaction to Ryougi's bloodlust - Ryougi talks about how she's an inhuman killing machine who isn't even going to think about taking Tamamo and Hakuno's lives, and Tamamo's response is "I can actually relate!"

So she doesn't have morals or restraint in the same way a person would. More than that, due to how she's been treated in life ("My fate is to have my body used until I'm skinned for my beautiful fur!,") she's very clingy and possessive. Put those two things together and yeah, she can be pretty terrible.

People joke about the alignments being kind of goofy, but I've always seen them as how the servant perceives themselves or how they intend their actions to be, not how they actually are. In that context, there's a very good reason for Tamamo to be evil.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 10, 2017

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I just read the wiki page on (the mythical) Tamamo and I am extremely worried for Hakuno now

Things do not end well for Tamamo's husbands

Pretty sure there's a fully translated segment of the My Room lines when the MC meets the goddess Tamamo in CCC somewhere.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does she not show that side of her to the protagonist when he's looking?

Soul Hakuno lacks critical thinking (because he's not Mind, natch).

And yeah after extra and CCC he's kinda used to her shenanigans so that coupled with the above means he doesn't really grasp her shittiness.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On today's episode of Cu is the most clutch character in FGO

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I like Tamamo as a character but yeah, she's not actually a good person.

She's a on the good guy side only because she happens to be summoned by a good person and her unique brand of craziness means that she'll not go against them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

People should probably actually play to the end of Tamamo's route before making your final determinations, because there are some rather pertinent reasons she's acting like she is, even beyond some of the relatively legitimate points being brought up.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Andersen from the reddit wrote a good thread on anyone wanting budget phones to play fgo on after emulators kept getting exploded, this should be good for what you need.

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/547qlv/budget_android_devices_that_can_run_fgo_how_to/

Huh, okay. Out of what I can see on that, Galaxy S4 seems to be relatively cheap and a big name enough to not worry about. Does anyone around here use one, and does it play the game well enough?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Lord Koth posted:

People should probably actually play to the end of Tamamo's route before making your final determinations, because there are some rather pertinent reasons she's acting like she is, even beyond some of the relatively legitimate points being brought up.

"gently caress everyone else, the world's ending anyways" is not a particularly compelling reason.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nasu coming out strong for the theory that the Huns are descendants of the Xiongnu I see

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyte posted:

"gently caress everyone else, the world's ending anyways" is not a particularly compelling reason.

that isn't really her motivation

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
After debuffing Kiara, team of Cu Lancer, support Merlin, Mashu, and Ibaraki defeated her, mostly thanks to the first three stonewalling her before Mashu went down and Ibaraki landed the last blow. Thank you support Merlin. Only used one command spell to keep Cu alive bc he was the only one who had a damaging NP to chip away at Kiara before Ibaraki went for the rocket punches.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
In the digital sea, Modred will always be surfing on your face.

Imagine Surfdred landing on top of Jalter with her board. Or grinding her face with the board.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part of me is really curious what they'll do for extella 2. I don't really see the point at all of a direct sequel, and I don't think they'll do that. If it were up to me, make it Grand Order-themed, with different chapters of the game being based on the singularities. Then, each chapter has 3-4 parts from critical moments in each singularity's plot, and you musou it up from there. Characters are all based on who appeared in each singularity from the original game, and there you go. And if you have to cut Septem so you can have more of Camelot, I understand. Really, I do.

Hell, they could even take the generic hordes (like the wyverns, pirates, robots, knights, mythological beasts) and make them generic enemies in extella 2. Maybe not quite as many as the generic enemies of the first one, but it's the idea. DLC characters seems like an obvious money grab going down this route. Honestly, it writes itself.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I think budget won't be a problem going foward.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Beat Kiara. I had a brainwave and dug out that really old CE that I've never used that increases heals to someone by 75% and crammed it onto my Melt. Melt + Tamamo + Merlin support = dead Kiara, eventually.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

100/100

Now to fight Ryougi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Kiara (the servant) seems kinda interesting but not that great (or at least requiring a certain party to perform well). Her passives are pretty good, but I'm pretty sure that servants aren't included under humanoid
All servants are humanoid, even Lobos and Gorgon. If you've ever had Henri-Sanson oneshot you in the assassin training daily, that's why.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

All servants are humanoid, even Lobos and Gorgon. If you've ever had Henri-Sanson oneshot you in the assassin training daily, that's why.

Ah, I think I was mixing up humanoid with whatever that one 3* craft essence buffs. There's this one 3* craft essence that seems ridiculous good until you realize that it just buffs damage against non-servant humanoid characters.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm almost done with Nero's route in Extella and I've finally put my finger on something that's bothering me: Saber doesn't feel like Nero. She's a fine character (I don't even really mind her being thirsty as gently caress), but why even associate her with a historical person if she isn't anything like him? If all I knew was she was a Roman, I would guess Hadrian, Pompey, and maybe Augustus ahead of Nero.

If I were to identify the salient parts of Nero (or at least, how he's portrayed by the judgmental Roman historians of the next few generations which is more or less all we have), I'd say:

--He was an artist (not just an appreciator of art like Saber)
--He probably would have been happier if he were never emperor
--He was greedy (e.g., buying up all the burned land after the fire in Rome to build a bigger palace)
--He was generally swept along by the flow of history, rather than controlling it

Aside from maybe the greed I just don't see any aspects of what made Nero different from any other Roman emperor in Saber.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all those traits are actually emphasized in her in extra and extra ccc and her brief appearances in f/go, extella is just kind of a not greatly written game in some areas

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Honestly, I'd just chalk it up as artistic license. I don't remember reading King Arthur had a particular fondness for lions or being a glutton.

That said, I think it's generally acknowledged Nero's route is the weakest, so take that as you will.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 11, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

all those traits are actually emphasized in her in extra and extra ccc and her brief appearances in f/go, extella is just kind of a not greatly written game in some areas

That's fair, it's been forever since I played Extra with her and I never played CCC. It still bothers me about Extella.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I think I was mixing up humanoid with whatever that one 3* craft essence buffs. There's this one 3* craft essence that seems ridiculous good until you realize that it just buffs damage against non-servant humanoid characters.

Pretty sure the Uryuu CE does work on servants.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

pfffffffffffffffft

I just learned that there's a loving music player that costs materials to open up.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

pfffffffffffffffft

I just learned that there's a loving music player that costs materials to open up.

I wish they all could be unlocked with Gold Berserker / Caster statues, since I'm absolutely lousy with those two right now.

Speaking of music, there's one song I'm really disappointed is not on the soundtrack. It's the one that plays very near the end of Camelot (Replica 5/5 on the in-game list), after the first Artoria fight, and after the flashback with Bedivere in Avalon. Bedivere unleashes Excalibur, there's a little chatting, and this really dramatic song starts playing. I was looking all over the OST for it, and couldn't find it. A shame.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_nh76YUwAA_8Ej.jpg
Good Heaven's Feel promo art, I love it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like how tiny cursed arm hassan is even though he's such a big part of the plot. i guess it's just the first movie, but still, lol

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Only weird thing is that Illya isn't present, given her importance in that route.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

I never realized how tiny Berserker's beady little eyes were, until now

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's a UBW Abridged Version now.

It actually seems really good! I like where they're going with Rin; I think it all depends now on the take they have on Shirou when we actually get to see him speak.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Man, fighting Kiara is like pulling teeth. I'm currently at turn 18 and I'm not even done with the first life bar. I mean, my front line is not the most impressive offensively (Astolfo, Mashu, and Merlin), but this is a long fight.

I literally could not even imagine fighting her without debuffing her to hell.

Turn 34: will lose and Quartz shortly. I was just thinking, would a team of Mashu, Merlin, and Tamamo, all at skill level 10 for all skills, let's say, be the tankiest team that ever tanked?

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 13, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sure it's pretty, but... Saber vs. Rider? That's not exactly a main-event fight

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Huh, okay. Out of what I can see on that, Galaxy S4 seems to be relatively cheap and a big name enough to not worry about. Does anyone around here use one, and does it play the game well enough?

I'm using a Moto G Play 4 and it runs really well, outside of Camelot's loving bullshit rear end sandstorm.

Great battery life, too.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Sylphid posted:

Turn 34: will lose and Quartz shortly. I was just thinking, would a team of Mashu, Merlin, and Tamamo, all at skill level 10 for all skills, let's say, be the tankiest team that ever tanked?
Yes. Skill level make a huge difference. Mainly due to the extra cool down and those adds up for long battle like this.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Higher resolution

http://www.fate-sn.com/assets/img/img-key2.jpg

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I've determined that if I want to quickly charge my phone or play with it charging I have to use the outlet adapter, if it's plugged into my computer I get prompted whether to access my phone's storage device each time I wiggle the wire, and for some reason my desktop's USB port charges a lot slower than plugging it into the power bar on my desk.

Sylphid posted:

Man, fighting Kiara is like pulling teeth. I'm currently at turn 18 and I'm not even done with the first life bar. I mean, my front line is not the most impressive offensively (Astolfo, Mashu, and Merlin), but this is a long fight.

I literally could not even imagine fighting her without debuffing her to hell.

Yes. I had Mashu, Waver and Merlin (I probably should have used Tamamo) and except for the last healthbar when she bursted for a surprise 7k damage per character my team was never below 80% health.

It took until something like turn 80 but still, victory is victory.

Basically as I understand it, Mashu's first skill and Waver's defence skill together still aren't enough to really protect your team from Kiara's ult but between Merlin's Invuln skill, Waver's Stun/NP down, and if you have the Mystic Code that reduces the Skill Cooldown by 2 you can rather consistently keep your team invulnerable each time she uses her NP.

Tamamo might be better because of NP up and Skill Cooldown but then you lose the defence buffs that help Merlin's NP outheal Kiara so I dunno.

I'm actually really happy for this event giving me an excuse to use my other Servants outside of the difficult boss fights.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 13, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did it with Mashu, Merlin and Robin Hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

There's a UBW Abridged Version now.

It actually seems really good! I like where they're going with Rin; I think it all depends now on the take they have on Shirou when we actually get to see him speak.
there's soem decent gags in here but on the other hand it's really long for an abridged ep and it's starting to hit the problem some abridged stuff has where like half of it is just a serious fandub with barely any added jokes.