Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's not about the idea of historical fantasy not being entirely accurate or going into the film expecting accuracy, it's how it was inaccurate, it's the fact that it's fascist racist Defender Against the Eastern Hordes garbage for white kids to fetishize and obviously a lot of those grown up kids still have the soft spot to apologize for it. "It's propaganda!", "What, u were expecting historical accuracy?" "Turn off ur brain broooooo"
Like, the rhinos and poo poo weren't the main issue here

Miiiight be more the whole "let's turn the Ancient Greek ancient Persian battle into a white race-swarthy race divide" than the loving fireballs and poo poo

To be clear, I agree with you. I don't know how anybody can defend the movie or the source material as not being racist when you have the whole "fade to black, leaving only the Persian emissary's eyes visible" scene transition. In that moment the ethnicity of the villains, as presented in the film, is explicitly made text.

(Never mind Frank Miller's body of work as a whole as evidence)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I should check out Rise of an Empire. I remember someone in CineD saying it's better than the first one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I cant wait until the Chinese are funding and exporting blockbusters into western mainstream culture depicting Hordes of literally disfigured and bestial Gingers and pale white ghost devil men invading various spaces like a human plague. See how easy it is to turn your brain off
I guess they already are & they blow but it'll be fun in like 2050 telling triggered white dudes to just chill cuz it's a coooooooomic booooook brooo duuuuude

If you think an aggressively nationalist Chinese action movie would be a new development, I got some shocking news for you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I should check out Rise of an Empire. I remember someone in CineD saying it's better than the first one.

Eva Green does make everything better. Not good, obviously, but better.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I remember Rise of the Empire having a lighter touch, and the hero wasn't as much of an rear end in a top hat as Leonidas (not hard, as the guys pointed out he's a massive dick & should be the villain of the movie).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you think an aggressively nationalist Chinese action movie would be a new development, I got some shocking news for you.
yeah hence my realization that they're already around and kinda suck. By 2050 though maybe we'll get a good Chinese 300.
Maybe something about the Boxer Rebellion?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

yeah hence my realization that they're already around and kinda suck. By 2050 though maybe we'll get a good Chinese 300.

Are you serious? Chinese and Taiwanese directors have made dozens and dozens of great (though chauvinist) action films, epics, etc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Leaving aside all the already made Boxer Rebllion movies, hopefully that world wide box office smash movie is around the corner. Even if everyone will just write it off as a dastardly British thing. Really hope that they can get some good money behind it though, because the Allied Imperialism looked suitably ridiculous for the 1900s. Too bad America just had no swag though.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Once Upon A Time In China has good evil Brits.

Australia has a multicultural broadcaster that shows a ton of great Asian action movies, and even I can recognize that some of the Chinese blockbusters are political propaganda. Lots of shots of the perfect Emperor and his perfect armies. They're fun to watch but they're probably problematic? Almost all of them are better than 300.

I guess the most mainstream ones for a Western audience lately are The Great Wall, John Woo's Red Cliff, or the Donnie Yen Ip Man movies? I dunno, there's probably a thread for them.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Count Chocula posted:

Once Upon A Time In China has good evil Brits.

Australia has a multicultural broadcaster that shows a ton of great Asian action movies, and even I can recognize that some of the Chinese blockbusters are political propaganda. Lots of shots of the perfect Emperor and his perfect armies. They're fun to watch but they're probably problematic? Almost all of them are better than 300.

I guess the most mainstream ones for a Western audience lately are The Great Wall, John Woo's Red Cliff, or the Donnie Yen Ip Man movies? I dunno, there's probably a thread for them.

I'm pretty sure out of the three you mentioned only The Great Wall got a wide release in the US. Red Cliff and Ip Man 3 both hit my neighborhood mom and pop theater, though. I guess maybe Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2? I wouldn't be surprised if that actually got more eyes on it than The Great Wall just by virtue of being available on Netflix.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

That was great episode, I'll now look forward to any future episode starring Gerard Butler after that that impression :scotland: "Come on, I understand a few B's but an F? Come on Baby Inspector, come on".

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was pretty into their ranking of Snyder but I actually think his Watchmen adaptation is better than Dawn of the Dead by a hair. Dawn has a lot of dead air after the opening. :shrug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Are you serious? Chinese and Taiwanese directors have made dozens and dozens of great (though chauvinist) action films, epics, etc.

What's the best "Japanese are evil holy poo poo" Kung Fu movie? There have to be a ton of contenders.

Fist of Fury posted:

Sepoy: Hold it. What do you want?
Chen: I want pass.
Sepoy: Not allowed, I'm afraid.
[Points to a sign that says "No Dogs And Chinese Allowed." A dog walks in]
Chen: And that?
Sepoy: You're the wrong color, so beat it.
[a Japanese official walks by and stops at the gate]
Japanese official: Hey you, come here! You want to get in there? Now, now, tell you what. There's only one thing you have to do. Pretend you're a dog and I'll take you in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ip Man gets pretty crazy but Fists of Fury AKA THE CHINESE CONNECTION is the one I always think of.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I'm listening to the Gilbert Gottfried interview right now. Is it really him? Because it sort of sounds like Chris Cabin doing an impression.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

clown shoes posted:

I'm listening to the Gilbert Gottfried interview right now. Is it really him? Because it sort of sounds like Chris Cabin doing an impression.

It is. They were both on the Sideshow network together.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

clown shoes posted:

If you don't listen to his podcast you're really missing out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

clown shoes posted:

He's an old man now. I almost wish he would just drop the affectation when he's chilling with people on his podcast.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ip Man gets pretty crazy but Fists of Fury AKA THE CHINESE CONNECTION is the one I always think of.

Heroes of the East is the exact opposite of those movies. It also has the best Gordon Liu wig.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AVP is happening and I hope they stretch it out to be A/P month like the x-men month a while back. They could do Predators, AvP2:R and Alien Resurrection.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I liked it a lot more. The protagonists are the Athenians, so they aren't child killers. It's all about naval combat, but before cannons and poo poo, naval combat was ships ramming each other and melee fighting on the decks, which is all pretty metal. Eva Green is in it playing an insane person, so that's always good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

well why not posted:

AVP is happening and I hope they stretch it out to be A/P month like the x-men month a while back. They could do Predators, AvP2:R and Alien Resurrection.

That would probably finally break them :smith:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

well why not posted:

Didn't they already do Predators?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They did Predator 2, which is an episode I can definitely recommend.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Thanks. I thought Predators = Predator 2 (like Aliens).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

well why not posted:

AVP is happening and I hope they stretch it out to be A/P month like the x-men month a while back.

I guarantee this is not happening based on the patreon newsletter that came out this morning.

Because they're doing an entirely different franchise month shortly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

END ME SCOOB posted:

I guarantee this is not happening based on the patreon newsletter that came out this morning.

I'm most excited that there's a sexy cyber thriller with dubious sexual politics in our future. That's kinda bound to lead do a good episode.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

END ME SCOOB posted:

Man, I'd been putting off watching those pieces of poo poo, now I can't anymore.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I hope they're not too hard on my boy Shia.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Is the new franchise they're tackling Transformers? That's all I got when you mention Ruff (Shia) LaBuff.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I am so loving hyped for Marky Mark and get out of statutory rape free cards.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Their Mark Wahlberg impression is one of my faves of theirs.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Transformers movies are bad, but I've always found them boringly bad in the way most modern bad blockbusters are. Not actually looking forward to Transformers month that much, I'm sure they'll get some great tangents, but still.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Transformers movies are bad, but I've always found them boringly bad in the way most modern bad blockbusters are. Not actually looking forward to Transformers month that much, I'm sure they'll get some great tangents, but still.

This is how I feel about most of those forgettable 80s comedies or action movies, the guys usually make good episodes riffing on them but my eyes just glaze over when they talk about what's going on in the movie. I like hearing them dig into blockbusters though. Different strokes I guess.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm interested to see what kind of inside jokes and characters they craft and also if they get grating without months between returning to them. It's a worthy experiment for an improv oriented show but I'm not sure the source material is friendly towards the concept.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Transformers movies are bad, but I've always found them boringly bad in the way most modern bad blockbusters are.

So did I until the third one. The third one is one of the few movies to make me actively loving angry. I'm sorry, you don't get to do 75 9/11s and actually show people burning alive in your loving toy movie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So did I until the third one. The third one is one of the few movies to make me actively loving angry. I'm sorry, you don't get to do 75 9/11s and actually show people burning alive in your loving toy movie.
Was that the one where the Autobots let themselves be exiled from Earth, then show up later after the Decepticons take over the city and use humans for target practice on-camera, then has Optimus show up and basically say "we pretended to leave so humans can learn how much you need us"?

Because if so, yeah gently caress that movie hard.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

Was that the one where the Autobots let themselves be exiled from Earth, then show up later after the Decepticons take over the city and use humans for target practice on-camera, then has Optimus show up and basically say "we pretended to leave so humans can learn how much you need us"?

If it's the third one then it's also the one that killed a human for real, when they hosed up setting up one of their lovely stunts

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yep, that's the one. It's like they decided 75 9/11s wasn't enough and decided they needed to add 75 9/11 jumpers too.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If it's the third one then it's also the one that killed a human for real, when they hosed up setting up one of their lovely stunts

I don't think so, just permanently disabled and blinded one. Which is so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Why did you guys even watch all those Transformers?