Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

They've talked about it a couple of times, I think it was some time in December first.
Just listened to this one by chance, it's episode 68. I love the idea that Clara Jeffery just doesn't know what a photograph is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

TheBigAristotle posted:

I remember this came up but can anyone refresh me on what they were talking about when referencing this scene?

Adam Friedland brought it up apropos of nothing during his second episode

sexpig by night posted:

speaking of photographs when did they talk about that hilarious 'she stopped them cold' tweet where some white feminist was treating a black lady as a magic super hero? I think it was the start of 'liberals don't understand how photographs work!' as a joke.

https://twitter.com/clarajeffery/status/778778096564510720

read the whole thread, shrillest just puts her in the dumpster

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've always wanted to play the MGS series. How many of the games should I Let's Play, that is which game in the series is the first with decent gameplay?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Don't play video games

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I've always wanted to play the MGS series. How many of the games should I Let's Play, that is which game in the series is the first with decent gameplay?

Honestly they all hold up pretty well, but I think MGS3 is when they ironed out the kinks in the gameplay.

MGSV is probably the best overall, but the story will make even less sense without playing the previous (it never made sense to begin with)

Serf posted:

nothing will make sense otherwise (nothing will make sense regardless)

:haw:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

i'd say start with metal gear solid

nothing will make sense otherwise (nothing will make sense regardless)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really enjoyed reading the replies.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

play or watch lp's in the order the series was released because it will seriously not make sense otherwise

the chip and ironicus let's plays are good ones to watch if you don't want to play them

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Halloween Jack posted:

MGS1 doesn't hold up so well, but 2 onwards are fine imo (get the HD versions if you can)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

padijun posted:

Adam Friedland brought it up apropos of nothing during his second episode

lol this same person went on a tear after trump flushed hundreds of millions down the toilet to tomahawk the heck out of an empty airfield.

you might think well yeah it was a hugely expensive MIC circle j and at the time seemed to portent maybe an invasion or something real bad.

but no she was mad that the name of the missiles was probably triggering to indians.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ignore all of these wrong idiots, play the only games that are actually canon, Metal Gear Ac!d

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

all you need to know is

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hideo kojima hates nuclear war and loves titties

everything else is window dressing

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

You need to actually play all of them yourself to truly get it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There's a character who shits himself in every game at least once.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Holy poo poo, Virgil is Johnny Sasaki

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Of you have a ps3 the metal gear solid HD collection is a good place to start. It has 2+3 and a code for a psn download of 1. The games get more standard controls as time goes on, I think 3 is still the best balancing gameplay and Hideo Kojima going ham on some spy intrigue. The 60s setting is very fun, too.

The Unnamed One posted:

Holy poo poo, Virgil is Johnny Sasaki

!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I've played a bunch of Saints Row 3 and 4. That's close enough, right?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

padijun posted:

lmao

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Metal Gear Solid 1

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They could at least diversify their outdated YA obsessions.

The Republicans are Peter, the Democrats are Sheila Tubman, and Trump is Superfudge

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Halloween Jack posted:

just play them, they're all mostly great games, and even MGS1 with its slightly more awkward (by today's standards) controls still plays great once you get used to them

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/795405639661064192

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

MGS1 holds up fine, start with it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

just call me...deep throat

the informant from the watergate scandal?

never mind that

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

MGS1 and 2 are great. I just played them for the first time a year or two ago. I had to do something weird to play them on the PS Vita, but that ended up being cool + good. MGS3 is kinda mediocre and I didnt bother to finish it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Slanderer posted:

MGS1 and 2 are great. I just played them for the first time a year or two ago. I had to do something weird to play them on the PS Vita, but that ended up being cool + good. MGS3 is kinda mediocre and I didnt bother to finish it.

you should go back to MGS3 one day, I had the same reaction to it when it was new, but I kept coming back and I feel it's probably the best game in the series now, it's just so involved mechanically and a much more difficult game than the other 2, it REALLY takes a long time to get a feel fr the mechanics

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

cat doter posted:

just call me...deep throat

the informant from the watergate scandal?

never mind that

I'm pretty sure there's a codec conversation about how he's called deepthroat as a reference to that. Because his character is leaking information.

Like, it's obvious, and a perfectly normal naming choice to get across the idea of the character as a person who is both fulfilling a similar role as the historical deep throat, but also hints at the idea that the person behind deepthroat is playing a character. But I'm pretty sure the game also literally spells it out for you textually.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Also every metal gear is good, including 4, ac!d, the msx games, and the pachinko machine.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

especially the pachinko machine

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Under the vegetable posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a codec conversation about how he's called deepthroat as a reference to that. Because his character is leaking information.

Like, it's obvious, and a perfectly normal naming choice to get across the idea of the character as a person who is both fulfilling a similar role as the historical deep throat, but also hints at the idea that the person behind deepthroat is playing a character. But I'm pretty sure the game also literally spells it out for you textually.

I was directly quoting that codec conversation

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I have played a lot of metal gear

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I've beaten MGS2 at least 15 times

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys are loving nerds.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Dutchy posted:

I've beaten MGS2 at least 15 times

that's got me beat, though I've probably finished 1 at least that many times

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

cat doter posted:

I was directly quoting that codec conversation

I'm speaking to the lurkers, really.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
I played MGS4 first. Had a bunch of fun, but had literally no loving clue what was going on. Now I'm playing through 5, and I'm enjoying it more and finding it more easy to follow.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
If you go to Games there's no shortage of idiots who think mgs is bad because the games are Japanese or something.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

it's a weird intersection of 'nerd' and 'that guy in your office you keep forgetting'. Like, I also am a huge turbo-nerd but I'm able to get all that bullshit out of my system with friends and poo poo so when Trump fuckin purges the FBI my first thought isn't 'oh man this is exactly like my favorite fantasy book'. Whedon and all are such vacuums of personality and socialization outside their nerd poo poo they have literally nothing else to offer so when the nukes start going off because Kushner spilled his diet coke on the football or whatever other completely oafish way our country is gonna finally implode all guys like him will be able to muster will be 'heh, Fallout, right guys?' seconds before his body becomes a shadow on the wall.

https://youtu.be/UABEHd1oy9w

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Halloween Jack posted:

MGS1 is fine, but MGS2 probably the best game in the series. It's pretty much an Adam Curtis movie: the video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

MGS2 has cool ideas but MGS3 is the most fun to play/the best game overall.