Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sousvide mashed potatoes is literally the dumbest food thing I have heard of this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

mindphlux posted:

sousvide mashed potatoes is literally the dumbest food thing I have heard of this year

And I'm going to do it again :colbert:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CrazyLittle posted:

you do realize that most of the salt gets left behind in the bag, right?
They're using about as much curing salt for a rack of ribs as you'd put on like 5 pounds of bacon. To simulate a smoke ring.

It's a dumb, dumb thing. I mean to each his own or whatever. But lol.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

They're using about as much curing salt for a rack of ribs as you'd put on like 5 pounds of bacon. To simulate a smoke ring.

It's a dumb, dumb thing. I mean to each his own or whatever. But lol.

lol, I missed this, but now this is officially the second dumbest food thing I have heard of this year.

goddamnit sousvide thread, wtf?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey mashed potatoes guy, you should try the 72 hour scallops

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oh yes let's clown on someone in a loving thread where we all cook in waterbaths.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mindphlux posted:

Nah. I mean, I don't get the point of that recipe because it says "Whatever you do, DO NOT use a food processor, electric mixer, or blender – due to the starch in the potatoes, if you over mix the potatoes you’ll end up with a gluey texture." But one of the great things you can do sous vide is retrograde starch. Regular mashed potatoes, if you whip them too much will turn to glue because you start to break up the starch granules and the starch leaks out of them. But if you heat the potatoes to 160 for 30 minutes, and then cool them back down, the starch gelatinizes and then that won't happen. Then you can boil them as per usual and whip the hell out of them to the creamiest softest consistency you want and they won't turn into wallpaper paste. It's more of a potato puree than regular mashed potatoes.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Nah. I mean, I don't get the point of that recipe because it says "Whatever you do, DO NOT use a food processor, electric mixer, or blender – due to the starch in the potatoes, if you over mix the potatoes you’ll end up with a gluey texture." But one of the great things you can do sous vide is retrograde starch. Regular mashed potatoes, if you whip them too much will turn to glue because you start to break up the starch granules and the starch leaks out of them. But if you heat the potatoes to 160 for 30 minutes, and then cool them back down, the starch gelatinizes and then that won't happen. Then you can boil them as per usual and whip the hell out of them to the creamiest softest consistency you want and they won't turn into wallpaper paste. It's more of a potato puree than regular mashed potatoes.

Yeah, having done it a couple times myself, I'm not gonna say it's necessarily worth the time or extra effort involved, but there is a distinct purpose and reason behind it. I've seen way stupider poo poo for sure.

I think modernist cuisine was the first place I saw it, and that was years ago now.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
I'll tell you the dumbest loving sous vide recipe...

...impromptu egg and bacon soup.

Apparently 'finger tight' isn't quite as tight as I thought :argh:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Norns posted:

Oh yes let's clown on someone in a loving thread where we all cook in waterbaths.

Eh, it's SA. I'm still very much in the new hammer ownership stage of my sous vide, where I think of something I'd like to cook on the weekend then put "sous vide" in front of it and throw it into Google.

So, be prepared for more dumb poo poo I guess? My cooking knowledge is poor compared to most other posters in thread so I'm almost certainly going to be doing poo poo obviously wrong or roundabout.

Most importantly, my mother loved her early mothers day lunch.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah every trend goes through this phase where everybody is using a technique for literally everything and then eventually it will kind of even out and people will just use it for the stuff it's good at and not for the stuff it isn't.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I can't speak for (or like) mp on the potato thing, but one of the things that strikes me about the s-v mash potato recipe linked is that it just isn't that different from `traditional' mashed potatoes. Which is what you want if you're using them as a bed for a slab of protein.

If I'm going to get all finicky about a side like mashed potatoes, I'll just go all the way into something like the Robuchon retrograded pommes purée, which ends up way richer and goopier than you'd really want for that kind of application.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

cool link, where's the smoke ring / bark on these ribs?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think I want to SV 60 salmon filets for my brother's wedding help

(help convince me not to)

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Don't do it - focus on enjoying your brother's big day instead and don't needlessly complicate things.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

You're going to gently caress up something you didn't think of and then everyone will talk about what an idiot you were

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Worse, they'll all smile and say thank you it's lovely and not touch it at all

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The two are not mutually exclusive

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ugh well it's in Juneau AK so the catering companies are very limited and SV makes everything child's play rite :v:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mindphlux posted:

lol, I missed this, but now this is officially the second dumbest food thing I have heard of this year.

goddamnit sousvide thread, wtf?

SubG is exaggerating. The recipe calls for 5g pink salt per 3kg ribs, and the process of curing the meat in-cook is not a big deal. Pink salt is <7% sodium nitrite by weight. The LD50 of sodium nitrite is 180 mg/kg consumed alone, in rats. The LD(lo) is 71mg/kg, so you'd have to consume 5g of JUST sodium nitrite (not pink salt) in order to reach the minimum toxicity.

Smoking meats also adds nitrites to food via nitric oxide. In other words, using limited amounts of pink salt when called for, produces the same effect as a wood smoker.

Elizabethan Error posted:

cool link, where's the smoke ring / bark on these ribs?

With the ribs the meat is cured through, which is why the rib meat is pinkish-red color instead of your typical sous vide grey. If you want a clear differentiated ring, take a look at the chefsteps brisket that's also linked from the ribs recipe.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

CrazyLittle posted:

Smoking meats also adds nitrites to food via nitric oxide. In other words, using limited amounts of pink salt when called for, produces the same effect as a wood smoker.

With the ribs the meat is cured through, which is why the rib meat is pinkish-red color instead of your typical sous vide grey. If you want a clear differentiated ring, take a look at the chefsteps brisket that's also linked from the ribs recipe.

Have you ever seen/eaten smoked meat in real life?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

theres a will theres moe posted:

Have you ever seen/eaten smoked meat in real life?

Frequently.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

SubG is exaggerating. The recipe calls for 5g pink salt per 3kg ribs, and the process of curing the meat in-cook is not a big deal. Pink salt is <7% sodium nitrite by weight. The LD50 of sodium nitrite is 180 mg/kg consumed alone, in rats. The LD(lo) is 71mg/kg, so you'd have to consume 5g of JUST sodium nitrite (not pink salt) in order to reach the minimum toxicity.
I think using 7% of a toxic dose of something in a recipe to cosmetically simulate a smoke ring is dumb. But hey, don't let that stop you.

CrazyLittle posted:

Nah. The NO -> nitrosomyoglobin/nitrosylhemochromogen/denatured hemochrome process is mostly cosmetic and doesn't contribute as much to smokey flavour as, you know, smoke---all of the aromatic stuff you get as a result of incomplete combustion wood/charcoal.

I mean I'm not saying that presentation doesn't count. It's just that they're literally using as much curing salt as you'd use in like 5 pounds of bacon. And while it's pretty usual for one serving of baby back ribs to be either a half or full rack, I doubt anyone, even goons, routinely scarf down between one and a quarter and two and a half pounds of bacon at a sitting.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
RIP the W&W ketosis thread

In some cases, literally RIP

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Anne Whateley posted:

RIP the W&W ketosis thread

In some cases, literally RIP

do explain / provide a link?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SubG posted:

I think using 7% of a toxic dose of something in a recipe to cosmetically simulate a smoke ring is dumb. But hey, don't let that stop you.

That's not what you claimed earlier. Just admit that you're loving horrible at math and you flew off the cuff for no reason. Your math is still off, too.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

SubG posted:

The LD50 of Sodium Nitrite is meaningless here because unless you're eating the curing salt out of the jar with a spoon you aren't consuming a meaningful amount of it . I don't know why you're harping on about this; If was a problem I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it when people started dropping dead after making Alton Brown's corned beef recipe.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Oneiros posted:

The LD50 of Sodium Nitrite is meaningless here because unless you're eating the curing salt out of the jar with a spoon you aren't consuming a meaningful amount of it . I don't know why you're harping on about this; If was a problem I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it when people started dropping dead after making Alton Brown's corned beef recipe.

It's not even the LD50 which is 180mg/kg. It's the LDLO, or 71mg/kg. Also the recipe ratio is (5g * .07) nitrite per 3kg ribs, which is ~112mg/kg... or equivalent to the amount of nitrite found in kale. *edit* or celery... And in order to consume that much you'd have to eat a full kg of rib meat, and bone, and the bag jus.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 11, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BrianBoitano posted:

Ugh well it's in Juneau AK so the catering companies are very limited and SV makes everything child's play rite :v:

don't ever mix business and family

unless you're literally doing nothing but cook for your brother's wedding (read: not drinking with him, not part of the ceremony, basically you wouldn't otherwise attend but to cook this dumb food), don't even consider it.

also if I cooked 60 perfect portions of salmon for 60 people sousvide, 30 of them would send it back for being undercooked so....

....there's that

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

It's not even the LD50 which is 180mg/kg. It's the LDLO, or 71mg/kg. Also the recipe ratio is (5g * .07) nitrite per 3kg ribs, which is ~112mg/kg... or equivalent to the amount of nitrite found in kale. *edit* or celery... And in order to consume that much you'd have to eat a full kg of rib meat, and bone, and the bag jus.
Nitrate isn't nitrite.

And unless you're grinding up the bones in a rack of ribs and swallowing them, then comparing the net weights of ribs and kale, instead of the yield, is silly.

The numbers for LD50 and LDLO you're quoting appear to come from wikipedia. The LDLO number is human. The LD50 number is rat. The wiki link to the MSDS they're using as a source is broken so I can't respond to it. The human number is commonly cited and comes from RTECS. The same number gets used by everybody because of the difficulty of human testing. If you look at MSDSs you'll see that the LD50 numbers for rats (for example) vary. The IUCLID number for the oral LD50 of sodium nitrite for rats is 85 mg/kg, for example.

Not that I'm saying people are necessarily going to drop dead from doing dumb poo poo with curing salt. I'm saying it's silly and stupid to gently caress around with it merely to cosmetically reproduce a smoke ring. Which is why literally the first thing I said about the subject was lol. Which is still how I feel about the subject: lol.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

qutius posted:

do explain / provide a link?
I don't have plat or archives, but if you do, you can search for "low-carb megathread." Goons, being goons, took the concept and ran way too far with it. People ate horrifying things, some of them ended up worse off, someone's dog died, there was a lot. Bacon was definitely consumed by the pound+.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Whaaaaat the what

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

posting anti-anticarb in the anticarb thread was probable offense.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

I did, there isn't a 'ring', nor is there bark. sorry you've never had real barbeque and can't tell the difference.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SubG posted:

Nitrate isn't nitrite.
Commercial produce grown with fertilizer frequently contains nitrite levels >100mg/kg

SubG posted:

The numbers for LD50 and LDLO you're quoting appear to come from wikipedia.

LD50 was your claim, which I've already shown to be off by at least an order of magnitude. Do you have the memory span of a laboratory gerbil?

SubG posted:

lol they're using more or less exactly the LD50 of Prague powder.

Also my initial source for LD50 figures is from here: https://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927272

SubG posted:

Not that I'm saying people are necessarily going to drop dead from doing dumb poo poo with curing salt. I'm saying it's silly and stupid to gently caress around with it merely to cosmetically reproduce a smoke ring.

You have an irrational hate boner for cured meats. Do you also stand in grocery isles yelling at anyone who dares purchase pastrami or hot dogs?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Dunno why you're getting so spun up about this. I initially said that they were using the LD50 of prague powder, but then corrected myself and pointed out that prague powder is only about 5% sodium nitrite and so it's much lower. I did this before your first reply, in which you quote my correction so presumably you saw it.

And I have no idea why you're concluding that I have something against cured meats. I don't. I think it's silly to use curing powder to cosmetically simulate a smoke ring. Which is what I said.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Did some chuck cut into steaks @ 135 for 48 hours and they turned out disgusting with a weird plastic-like nasty aroma. Ended up tossing them. Is it pretty much well known you shouldn't sous vide at that low of a temp for extended periods of time? Or did I mess something up somewhere. I've done them before for 24 hours and they turned out good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jerome Louis posted:

Did some chuck cut into steaks @ 135 for 48 hours and they turned out disgusting with a weird plastic-like nasty aroma. Ended up tossing them. Is it pretty much well known you shouldn't sous vide at that low of a temp for extended periods of time? Or did I mess something up somewhere. I've done them before for 24 hours and they turned out good.

I had fantastic results from the same temp and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jerome Louis posted:

what bags did you use