Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

The Duggler posted:

It's a pretty bad charm so I wouldn't worry if you didn't unlock it

Oh, I did.

It just wasn't a fun experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Oh, I did.

It just wasn't a fun experience.

Definitely was not worth the grind.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard, fix the matchmaking. And garbage accumulation on windowsills. It's still worse than before the window de-clutter patch release.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Nickname Pending posted:

Definitely was not worth the grind.

Yeah I was tk'ed a few times for picking frost and buck in casual. I don't play ranked when I'm doing these challenges so I don't understand people who get mad in casual. It's not like they pick optimal operators either.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Well all of you complaining about the Frost challenge are in luck, this week we have 2 of them. Just for SAS and Spetsnaz though so at least we can play shotgun recruit for them now like god intended.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Frost challenge was retarded, at least this week theres 2 OPs + Recruit.

Welcome back.

As for the population, i believe the OP is still relevant.

quote:

PC: Separated mostly into 2 crews. Both are pretty chill, pick your poison.
Discord: Click here for the Invite & then a neat quick link -> http://www.goonstack.win/discord/
Mumble: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3796734
group (lol) http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rainbowgoons

The game has been out for a while, people are playing other great games so hang out in the channels, be patient and it will fill eventually.
Goons are usually pretty chill when it comes to newblood so don't be shy. (you are adorable and your mistakes are hilarious)

Consoles: Post in the thread i guess Getting invited by someone will probably open to their friends' list.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

Welcome back.
Can't miss the new update, there will be so much to complain about. :tipshat:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The amount of ping shitters I encounter every single night is really sapping my will to play this game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ubisoft is rather scummy to introduce the Starter Edition with no fair way of upgrading to a normal account. I feel really bad for a friend of mine, he bought it and really started to enjoy it, but god drat it costs so much for him to unlock an operator with renown, even the basic ones. 12,000 a pop??? He's given no choice to upgrade from starter, so Ubisoft has basically shoehorned him into either paying money for coins to buy operators (gently caress off) or buying the normal game. It's a pretty lovely tactic to grab more money from customers.

Just put a loving option to pay the difference and unlock the normal game, assholes.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
During frost week I saw no whining about people wanting JTF2 guys, or even people really playing them outside of when I was grinding for the challenge and picking them myself.

And with the Spetsnaz challenge I've noticed an abnormal absence of Glaz picks besides the dead weight BattleField-Sniper-Pubbie who was only in one game.

:shrug:

Loopoo posted:

Ubisoft is rather scummy to introduce the Starter Edition with no fair way of upgrading to a normal account. I feel really bad for a friend of mine, he bought it and really started to enjoy it, but god drat it costs so much for him to unlock an operator with renown, even the basic ones. 12,000 a pop??? He's given no choice to upgrade from starter, so Ubisoft has basically shoehorned him into either paying money for coins to buy operators (gently caress off) or buying the normal game. It's a pretty lovely tactic to grab more money from customers.

Just put a loving option to pay the difference and unlock the normal game, assholes.

The clancybux should work out to have things cost the same as the full price base game, from what I remember. It still sucks because of the sale prices, and that's where they need to get flexible with something like an equivalent to the base game.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't even bother with the Frost challenge because I don't play video games anymore, because they're for nerds, but the obvious solution is to make it so that you get a recruit for DLC CTUs whenever you buy any operator from the CTU. That way it still incentivizes spending your clancybux on DLC operators, while allowing for DLC CTU challenges without them being a clusterfuck.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Loopoo posted:

Should have just bought the normal game and not been a scrub (Siege regularly dips below $20 on standard editions)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Should have just bought the normal game and not been a scrub (Siege regularly dips below $20 on standard editions)

Awful thing was me and a few other friends pressured him into getting it, but he didn't wanna drop $$$ on a game he may or may not like. He bought the starter edition as a way to not drop the full retail price, then within a week the game is on sale for a few bucks extra than starter edition. Feels loving bad.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Loopoo posted:

Awful thing was me and a few other friends pressured him into getting it, but he didn't wanna drop $$$ on a game he may or may not like. He bought the starter edition as a way to not drop the full retail price, then within a week the game is on sale for a few bucks extra than starter edition. Feels loving bad.

That's how it's worked for at least six months now. It's not news.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Loopoo posted:

Yeah I bought starter, luckily I refunded it after an hour of playing because I liked the game and upgraded. He might be able to refund the game to steam they sometimes make exceptions passed the 2 hour limit if you have a good reason, and wanting to buy the other version steam might see this as a worthy reason.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Jehde posted:

I didn't even bother with the Frost challenge because I don't play video games anymore, because they're for nerds, but the obvious solution is to make it so that you get a recruit for DLC CTUs whenever you buy any operator from the CTU. That way it still incentivizes spending your clancybux on DLC operators, while allowing for DLC CTU challenges without them being a clusterfuck.

dlc guns are for the most part kind of way too rad to do blanket loadouts with imo.

i figure the devs wanted to use recruits as a way to test drive certain guns... which seems good in theory, but like by the time the average player figures out how to even tweak their loadout they'll have multiple operators available to them. if eventually there are SO many operators in this game ( aren't they planning in 100 or more, hard? ) then maybe multi-national recruits can just be phased out and morph them into something genuinely generic and gimped for AFKers. then just give every player enough renown to buy 5 operators after completing the tutorial or something.

even now some of recruit options are legit good. i'm pretty sure some of them can carry both frag and flashbangs which iirc off the top of my head might be unique to them?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why do people care so much about skins? 90% of skins make you so easy to spot. If I ever use skins, I use skins that match the map so I'm harder to see, instead of going with the goofy-rear end gold / red poo poo that makes me stick out like a sore thumb.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
if you wanna look rad and not tryhard then skins are cool

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Loopoo posted:

Why do people care so much about skins? 90% of skins make you so easy to spot. If I ever use skins, I use skins that match the map so I'm harder to see, instead of going with the goofy-rear end gold / red poo poo that makes me stick out like a sore thumb.

I don't think skins are really much of an issue. I almost never notice them outside of my own or when watching someone's cam.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Loopoo posted:

When I teabag someone as Sledge I want to actually teabag them.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Sounds like that guy is addicted to irony, like a banned forums poster I used to know.

im permabanned siege player N1gg3r_lynch3r58. i first started playing siege when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "spawn peeking" and tried to do it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "get gud" and "i love licking inside jäger's rear end in a top hat" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "diamond" style of siege play was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" siege to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Loopoo posted:

I dropped my first 25k renown on a rad skin.

Style is more important than substance, my friend. If I'm spawnpeeking on House every round then I want people to remember who killed them, and it's my signature conquistador skin that reminds them.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Hard posted:

As for the population, i believe the OP is still relevant.

Mumble link in the OP leads to a 404.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Not to defend the OP being unable to copy paste links, but you should be able to figure that one out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The sound propagation in this game triggers me. It tries so hard to be realistic, but it doesn't do a very good job of it. If someone is shooting in a room directly opposite me, and we're both right beside the wall that's separating us, I'll hear the gunshots coming from the doorway to the side. In real life, I'm pretty drat sure the sound of a gun would be easily heard through the wall.

It makes using sound really confusing. I'll hear footsteps, and I can't quite tell whether it's coming from above me, or to the left or right of me. In real life, hearing footsteps, you can quickly pinpoint the general direction of the source. This game? It's super weird and takes a lot of getting used to before sound direction starts to make sense, cause it's not intuitive and natural.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You just have to remember that the destructible walls are soundproofed

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
If you make a hole in the wall it improves sound but that works both ways.

Loopoo posted:

Really? I've seen more people given away by the length of their rifle sticking out. I don't think I've ever seen anyone given away by a cosmetic. Usually I find someone is far enough away they get the rim lighting effect that makes them grey and stand out from the background or close enough the shadowing in their hiding spot conceals them. The worst possible case is the LED masks on Smoke/Mute potentially making them stand out?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 10, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You just have to remember that the destructible walls are soundproofed

The thing that fucks a lot of people over these days is the new maps come out with premade holes that leak sound. Border's armory is a good example of this, there's already a hole in the floor so when you start the drone round people are going to be calling out the server room as the objective when it's the floor above just due to the sound.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Hexenritter posted:

Mumble link in the OP leads to a 404.

Both invite and channel links in the OP works A1 for me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard, fix servers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Our discord will regularly have at least one squad rolling on any given night; occasionally two or three.

Don't ask me how the gently caress some of ya'll are full squadding at 5 am though.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

my kinda ape posted:

im permabanned siege player N1gg3r_lynch3r58. i first started playing siege when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "spawn peeking" and tried to do it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "get gud" and "i love licking inside jäger's rear end in a top hat" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "diamond" style of siege play was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" siege to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

:perfect:

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

I dropped my first 25k renown on a rad skin.

Style is more important than substance, my friend. If I'm spawnpeeking on House every round then I want people to remember who killed them, and it's my signature conquistador skin that reminds them.

I'm not 100%, but I think that skin is going away at the end of the season?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Hard posted:

Both invite and channel links in the OP works A1 for me.

Yeah I see what the problem is now, the link in your quote has somehow parsed the contracted url so it's actually trying to open http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3796734

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Is using a shield viable? Seems kind of under powered currently.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Keegers posted:

Totally. You can have a ton of fun playing with a shield. Is it competitively viable? Who gives a poo poo?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Montagne can be legitimately good/terrifying, if used in a team that coordinates properly (or even just with 1-2 people who coordinate - I use Monty with a friend of mine in casual all the time, to great effect)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Monty was much more terrifying before they made it so the revolver was even worse (that second shot placement isn't even on the target anymore if I remember right). Now you can't really mag dump from 8 feet and expect a kill anymore.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Keegers posted:

Shields are generally good, their main downside is that their cover is hard for you as a shield user to anticipate, because it turns out that not looking head on at the person targeting you probably means that part of you is likely exposed. A lot of the time you'll feel like you have more protection than you do actually have, which you'll be rudely reminded of when you see a killcam where you've left your rear end hanging out of cover.

With the revolver nerf monty is still really good, and it's because he's good because of his superior shield, not because of his revolver.

Fucker can stonewall anyone trying to get through a small space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I think both Blitz and Monty are in a good place now. A lot of people try to tank shots with Blitz when you really shouldn't be getting shot at much if you want to live more than a few seconds in a fight

• Locked thread