Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

There's a point where new arrivals to a comic will reach the hasty conclusion that it's been abandoned.

That's best case senario. Worst case, they check the GitP forums to confirm if it's abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Earnestly posted:

That's best case senario. Worst case, they check the GitP forums to confirm if it's abandoned.

What's wrong with the GitP forums? They're pretty nice right now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cat Mattress posted:

:golfclap:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I don't want to drag out the Kickstarter discussion much more but from talking to my brother (who backs so many things on Kickstarter he really needs a Kickstopper) that it's great for board games.
Like Greater than Games made so many Sentinels of the Multiverse products from Kickstarter.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Serious question: what is wrong with the GitP forums?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cargohills posted:

Imagine if the people in this thread ran an entire forum. What would be a page-long derail here gets three threads there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

cargohills posted:

There are a lot of irritating pedants who collect low relevance metadata like the number of appearances of every single character down to "third guard from the left" and the threads on that overshadow discussion on the comics characterization, themes and such things. They love to guess plot developments even though Rich has said many times he hates when people guess his plot developments, and they get mad when they're sure things have to go a certain way but they don't. Above all else, they love pointing out when the comic diverges from what they feel is the Optimal Way To Do It In D&D (and they include that as a factor in their plot speculations), where their Optimal Way is a purely mechanical low cost/high yield calculation. If you have the GitP forums at your D&D table as a player, they're the guy who has a copy of the module you're running under the table, the guy who's playing a character from Guardians of the Galaxy converted to D&D, or the guy who actually tries to kill the bad guy with a Peasant Railgun in the first session.

That's just the comic subforum. God help those who venture in their actual RP section.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 11, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

cargohills posted:

Because they're pedantic nerds and we are better then them!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i haven't actually ever been on the gitp forums but if they are doing the "try to optimize d&d" thing towards a comic where one of the primary characterizations is "deliberately sub-optimal d&d characters as the protagonists" then man that's gotta be terrible to read

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

God help those who venture in their actual RP section.

I've read some of that section but it seems about as insufferable as any other RP forum ("it's roleplay, not rollplay!!!")

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

They're the people who would die in my group because we refuse to take things seriously.

We spent like 10 minutes figuring out a way to disarm a trap and take an ordinary scythe from it because the one guy decided he wanted a scythe :v:

(We were successful)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PMush Perfect posted:

Imagine if the people in this thread ran an entire forum. What would be a page-long derail here gets three threads there.

yep. like this thread its about 70% decent nerdy folk and 30% brutally insane sperglords.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

sebmojo posted:

70% decent nerdy folk and 30% brutally insane sperglords.

That's a good new thread title.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The new 70% right 30% wrong.

When I was semi active on those forums they're fun for PBFP games, asking questions, and as long as you didn't pay too much attention even comic discussion but when it gets bad it gets bad.

Like an example of good was when I channeled the forums Min-Maxers to help me win a challenge. Can an optimized Min-Maxed level 20 (But not epic) Wizard (Incantatar cheese) beat Elminster from the 3rd edition Epic Handbook (Albeit with Immunities randomized?).

I teleported on top of Elminster with two simulacrum Gibbering Orbs and two hecatonchires.

It ended when we got into an argument as to whether a) Can Elminster Shapechange into a gargantuan sized living Cube (It says non-unique creature). b) Can a hecatonchires reflex save to avoid getting smushed from falling damage from the living cube. (Isn't a hecatonchires large enough to potentially catch the cube?)

A perfect example of the Gitp being bad is when I stumbled on a discussion about what Foresight does with a sperg arguing, no, the spell doesn't let you do anything fun at all based on the most pedantic splitting of hairs of the grammar in question, I even linked it here but the forums aren't up.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

cargohills posted:

gamers of every stripe are horrible and you can measure the quality of any gamer webcomic artist by how effectively they ignore their fanbase

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i haven't actually ever been on the gitp forums but if they are doing the "try to optimize d&d" thing towards a comic where one of the primary characterizations is "deliberately sub-optimal d&d characters as the protagonists" then man that's gotta be terrible to read

If I recall right, they were more concerned about optimizing actions than optimizing character builds. But it's been a long time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My favorite thing is that the phrase 'was X morally justified' is banned becayse people went absolutely nuts about how Roy attacking Miko meant he was more evil than Hitler and it quickly spread so most of the comic threads were arguing about it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Raenir Salazar posted:

A perfect example of the Gitp being bad is when I stumbled on a discussion about what Foresight does with a sperg arguing, no, the spell doesn't let you do anything fun at all based on the most pedantic splitting of hairs of the grammar in question, I even linked it here but the forums aren't up.

quote:

This spell grants you a powerful sixth sense in relation to yourself or another. Once foresight is cast, you receive instantaneous warnings of impending danger or harm to the subject of the spell. You are never surprised or flat-footed. In addition, the spell gives you a general idea of what action you might take to best protect yourself and gives you a +2 insight bonus to AC and Reflex saves. This insight bonus is lost whenever you would lose a Dexterity bonus to AC.

When another creature is the subject of the spell, you receive warnings about that creature. You must communicate what you learn to the other creature for the warning to be useful, and the creature can be caught unprepared in the absence of such a warning. Shouting a warning, yanking a person back, and even telepathically communicating (via an appropriate spell) can all be accomplished before some danger befalls the subject, provided you act on the warning without delay. The subject, however, does not gain the insight bonus to AC and Reflex saves.

I mean, just as written it's pretty crappy for a ninth level spell.

Admittedly I'm pretty skeptical of this sort of power after Newspaper Spider-Man. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

+2 AC, +2 Reflex Saves and not getting flat footed is tremendously bad for a level 9 spell if that's strictly how you interpret it.

I believe it's very important to try and figure out what the hell the intended effect of a spell or ability is and go with that interpretation. It's not always easy but it should lead to a better game. Hopefully.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Admittedly I'm pretty skeptical of this sort of power after Newspaper Spider-Man. :v:
So it doesn't protect against bricks? :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 11, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

There's a point where new arrivals to a comic will reach the hasty conclusion that it's been abandoned.

I've been reading it since day one and I still came here to see if it'd been abandoned or if he'd had to give up. The forums are down too now. I didn't know about the struggles with Kickstarter but man they've sure been fighting these giants for a long time. The pages don't have dates on but about 30 comics back is tagged as copyright 2016!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Zz

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And just like that, Rich dropped 95 pages on us.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Been waiting years for this. It's finally here!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm beginning to think that Rich isn't OK.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm not really feeling the jokes
I feel like at this point we all figured out Burlew's formula and it's just a couple of variables and a constant Elan-like and maybe a pair of goofballs to break the fourth wall occasionally

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I am loving this Ettin.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Where?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
loving Miko

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The O'Chul story reward from the Kickstarter was just posted.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Calaveron posted:

I'm not really feeling the jokes
I feel like at this point we all figured out Burlew's formula and it's just a couple of variables and a constant Elan-like and maybe a pair of goofballs to break the fourth wall occasionally

No, actually it was good. More serious than usual, but anything else would've been weird for an O-Chul story.

It was a cool bit of worldbuilding that Azure City's whole East Asian mishmash thing got an explanation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

No, actually it was good. More serious than usual, but anything else would've been weird for an O-Chul story.

It was a cool bit of worldbuilding that Azure City's whole East Asian mishmash thing got an explanation.

No yeah O-chul and Saha were good and the story in general was good
It was the jokes that fell flat. Kinda like they were just an afterthought

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'll never forgive the people who won the short stories and picked lame things while my "OOTS PCs in Paranoia" idea will forever go unseen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The O'Chul story reward from the Kickstarter was just posted.
Where was it posted?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bongo Bill posted:

Where was it posted?

I'm guessing to the kickstarter backers who got it as a reward.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Bongo Bill posted:

Where was it posted?

On Kickstarter in a backer-only update. If it follows the same trend as the previous two Kickstarter stories, it will be several months before it's purchasable through Gumroad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, is Dim Sun the only backer story left?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

So, is Dim Sun the only backer story left?

Nope! The poor bastard also has to finish a comic about Sir Francois (I think this is Elan backstory) , the CPPD and Julio Scoundrel in addition to Dim Sun.

Also to give you an idea of how much work he puts into some of these. O'chul's comic is over 90 pages long. Jesus.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

loving Miko

Miko's in it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jesus Christ, Rich, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

PMush Perfect posted:

Jesus Christ, Rich, why?

She's not in it very much, and it's mostly to foreshadow.. uh, stuff that has already happened.