Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

scarycave posted:

Also it's a bit of a pain firing/dodging at the same time, my hands aren't used to covering all shoulder buttons at once.

Game controllers really need to start putting buttons on the underside of the controllers to prevent claw grips and sore hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Game controllers really need to start putting buttons on the underside of the controllers to prevent claw grips and sore hands.

Definitely agreed; it's one of the things I love about the Steam controller that I wish others would start copying.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gorilla Salad posted:

turnways posted:

Definitely agreed; it's one of the things I love about the Steam controller that I wish others would start copying.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZDNNRB8/ref=twister_B00Z8EBXSQ?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

RBA Starblade posted:

In SR3 I had a russian-asian boss and it was pretty silly and fun. In SR2 I had a cockney boss in a full three piece suit with a bowler hat, the pimp cane, and a slight scar on his face and he was a straight psychopath. Absolutely the best thing about that game.

I miss SR2's boss' cockney accent.

Whoever they got for 3 and 4 decided to blend it with Christian Bale's Batman voice, and it loses all its charm.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Bloodborne

I like the gemstone customization for weapons in this game. In Dark Souls games you'd have to take a weapon to a smith and permanently change a weapon to deal elemental damage. Here you can pop in some elemental gems to experiment which weapons are the best for your loadout without fully committing a weapon to a set path.

Another thing is that I just finished Cainhurst and I dig the haunted house feel of the area. The servants that feel like a precursor to the slaves in Dark Souls 3 and the ladies in waiting contrast the regal aesthetic of the place. Also I'm so used to FromSoft level design training me to look for a side entrance to open the main door and it was a small surprise to have the main door just open up as you approach. Really gives the place a more supernatural instead of paranormal feel the rest of the game has.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

140 dollars for a game controller might as well just buy a nice dinner and spend time with the family.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Action Tortoise posted:

Bloodborne

I like the gemstone customization for weapons in this game. In Dark Souls games you'd have to take a weapon to a smith and permanently change a weapon to deal elemental damage. Here you can pop in some elemental gems to experiment which weapons are the best for your loadout without fully committing a weapon to a set path.

Another thing is that I just finished Cainhurst and I dig the haunted house feel of the area. The servants that feel like a precursor to the slaves in Dark Souls 3 and the ladies in waiting contrast the regal aesthetic of the place. Also I'm so used to FromSoft level design training me to look for a side entrance to open the main door and it was a small surprise to have the main door just open up as you approach. Really gives the place a more supernatural instead of paranormal feel the rest of the game has.

Cainhurst is literally Castlevania, it's great.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

In SR3 I had a russian-asian boss and it was pretty silly and fun. In SR2 I had a cockney boss in a full three piece suit with a bowler hat, the pimp cane, and a slight scar on his face and he was a straight psychopath. Absolutely the best thing about that game.

Co-op is the best thing, not some kind of scar dude with a bowler. I remember a friend and I decided to beat the game as Keenan and Kel, much hilarity ensued as we proceeded to get smashed and conquer stillwater as 90s nickelodeon icons.

The in Saints Row 3 we decided to make Will and Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Push El Burrito posted:

140 dollars for a game controller might as well just buy a nice dinner and spend time with the family.

:smug: Look at this scrub with "loved ones" and a "normal diet".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MrJacobs posted:

Co-op is the best thing, not some kind of scar dude with a bowler.

I mean the character customization was but if you like that's a good takeaway too. All the SRs except 1 (I think?) have co-op so

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Sorry, I meant non-mediocre non-overpriced controllers. The DS4 or Switch Pro with grip buttons would be amazing, however.

And also editable gyro controls, because I love aiming with those but I gotta tune it or it doesn't really work all that well for me. Steam controller's billion options are great in that regard; there's a slider for everything and after about an hour of tweaking I had something that worked beautifully.

Edit: I know both controls have gyro, but they're pretty basic and I haven't been able to get them near as good as Steam's for aiming.

turnways has a new favorite as of 21:47 on May 11, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scarycave posted:

Also it's a bit of a pain firing/dodging at the same time, my hands aren't used to covering all shoulder buttons at once.

I ended up remapping the dodge button to circle and moved interact to the R2 button. You don't interact near as often as you dodge so it isn't too bad.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Abugadu posted:

I miss SR2's boss' cockney accent.

Whoever they got for 3 and 4 decided to blend it with Christian Bale's Batman voice, and it loses all its charm.

I feel like it was made so much better once you realize it's Mr. Sheffield from The Nanny too.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's been echoed a thousand times, but I want to add my voice to the wall of sound by praising Saints Row 2's storytelling. It's what made it so drat fun to play over and over as various silly and whacky characters and it was where 3 fell down the most, I'd say. Keeping it all fairly grounded was the best thing they could have done and I hope when they roll the series back it goes in that direction again.

Being Neo and running around in a Mech was fun and all, but I doubt I'll be playing SR4 again any time soon whereas I could happily roll out a fresh new comedy boss for 2 and execute my lil' homie Carlos while dressed as a goth hotdog.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've probably spent more time changing clothes on SR2 characters than I have actually playing the last 2 GTA games combined. I liked SR 3 and 4 well enough, but SR2 was extremely my poo poo.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Drunken Baker posted:

execute my lil' homie Carlos while dressed as a goth hotdog.

And yet still have more gravitas than GTA IV.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tribbledirigible posted:

And yet still have more gravitas than GTA IV.

I made the mistake of playing SR2 before GTA IV. Spent five or six hours playing GTA, all the while thinking "I wish I was playing SR2 right now." So I stopped playing GTA, loaded SR back up and never looked back. Said this to a mate of mine and he replied "But the graphics in GTA are so much better!" I've never been so disappointed in someone.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
GTA feels way too up its own arse for me nowadays. Just constantly drones on about how miserable and loving stupid everyone is, HAHA GUYS, we're swearing about how loving terrible every loving thing is. HA. Get it how loving sharp out satire is yet, cunts.

GTA 3 was great. Didn't feel lighter, but at the same time it wasn't just pointing at things and calling them poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

poptart_fairy posted:

GTA feels way too up its own arse for me nowadays. Just constantly drones on about how miserable and loving stupid everyone is, HAHA GUYS, we're swearing about how loving terrible every loving thing is. HA. Get it how loving sharp out satire is yet, cunts.

GTA 3 was great. Didn't feel lighter, but at the same time it wasn't just pointing at things and calling them poo poo.

The GTA series should just be period pieces, Vice City and San Andreas are amazing, everything else is just meh.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

The GTA series should just be period pieces, Vice City and San Andreas are amazing, everything else is just meh.

GTA Victorian London, so I can be Raffles: The Gentlemen Thug.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

poptart_fairy posted:

the characters had the right tone in gta3. some were cartoonish but never chewed the scenery, and while there were ethnic stereotypes they were never too much.

also, it was cool to see gangs change states when you encountered them at different parts of the story. once you go over to staunton island all the mafia chase you down, as well as the yardies once you get their betrayal message.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus, the mafia and their loving anti-vehicle shotguns when doing missions through there though. :suicide:

I'm really sad how I only appreciated the tone of VC and SA after GTA4 came out.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
This is why I love Sleeping Dogs. It isn't nearly as flexible as SR2, but it still strikes a good balance between a story played straight and ancillary stuff that's incredibly goofy, like Pork Bun Guy. Sure, I can beat up this group of gangsters dressed to the nines with bitchin' shades, or I could wear nothing but boxers are the foam rubber mask based on beloved Hong Kong children's show character Ghost Pig, hop into my awesome van with the dragon airbrushed on the side, and run down the gangsters while rocking the gently caress out to Duran Duran's Girls On Film.

Come to think of it, every open world game with Duran Duran on a radio station that I've played has been really good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sunswipe posted:

GTA Victorian London, so I can be Raffles: The Gentlemen Thug.

Have you played Assassin's Creed: Syndicate? Because if not, you should really play Assassin's Creed: Syndicate.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

OutOfPrint posted:

This is why I love Sleeping Dogs. It isn't nearly as flexible as SR2, but it still strikes a good balance between a story played straight and ancillary stuff that's incredibly goofy, like Pork Bun Guy. Sure, I can beat up this group of gangsters dressed to the nines with bitchin' shades, or I could wear nothing but boxers are the foam rubber mask based on beloved Hong Kong children's show character Ghost Pig, hop into my awesome van with the dragon airbrushed on the side, and run down the gangsters while rocking the gently caress out to Duran Duran's Girls On Film.

Come to think of it, every open world game with Duran Duran on a radio station that I've played has been really good.

I loved the LP that made fun of Wei's behaviour. At one point they're in full uniform speeding in a cop car yalling "Have I mentioned yet that I'm a POLICE OFFICER! :v:"

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the LP that made fun of Wei's behaviour. At one point they're in full uniform speeding in a cop car yalling "Have I mentioned yet that I'm a POLICE OFFICER! :v:"

You can play Wei Shen as the worst beat cop, the worst undercover cop, and the worst triad gangster at the same time. It's almost as beautiful as repeatedly and severely beating up those poor teenagers who are just trying to learn martial arts down at the dojo so Wei can learn how to break limbs.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought the constant cynical disillusion worked in V in that it's explicitly the story of a bunch of middle-aged career criminals going through their mid-life crises, as told by a bunch of middle-aged game developers going through their mid-life crises. Even the modern setting had a sort of heightened period feel to it since it's a bunch of old and out-of-touch foreigners trying to emulate the times as filtered though movies and television.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you played Assassin's Creed: Syndicate? Because if not, you should really play Assassin's Creed: Syndicate.

Still haven't really played AssCreed IV. Was getting into it, then the future/present day stuff started and I just quit. Is Syndicate any good?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I prefer Saint's Row 3 and 4 to the earlier games, myself. There's plenty of choices for sandbox crime games, and SR2 mainly stands out for being a well written one. The completely absurd and batshit insane world of 3 and 4, though, isn't something I've seen in another reasonably well-written game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sunswipe posted:

Still haven't really played AssCreed IV. Was getting into it, then the future/present day stuff started and I just quit. Is Syndicate any good?

Syndicate is fantastic and well worth your time. Enjoyable characters, a story that's actually pretty decent, and it's just plain fun. And has the first truly brutal combat since eye-stabber Ezio.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How Ubisofty is it? Are we looking at a hundred and one map icons, or is it a little more streamlined?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

poptart_fairy posted:

How Ubisofty is it? Are we looking at a hundred and one map icons, or is it a little more streamlined?

There's a shitton of map icons.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You can still turn off a lot of those, right?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Yeah, you can filter them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Never seen that map before but for some reason (the rivers) my brain keeps filing it under "Vagina". Hell of a negative space.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

I thought the constant cynical disillusion worked in V in that it's explicitly the story of a bunch of middle-aged career criminals going through their mid-life crises, as told by a bunch of middle-aged game developers going through their mid-life crises. Even the modern setting had a sort of heightened period feel to it since it's a bunch of old and out-of-touch foreigners trying to emulate the times as filtered though movies and television.

imagine trevor saying prospero's final speech in the tempest.

GTA games are all about the American Dream, and i think IV explored that theme the best with its intro and Niko's realization that he can't escape from his demons.

the dissonance between the story about a guy who's tired of killing and the gameplay offering the possibility of numerous killing sprees between missions kneecapped the overall theme, but i always thought rockstar operated on the idea that story missions are separate from the rest of the game and it's up to the player whether or not they play the role.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Gizmo Chicken posted:

That's AC Unity. A bad bad game. Syndicate was legit fun and if you hate the modern story stuff it's probably your best bet as it's just a rare cutscene here and there that ties it in with the rest of the series. No modern era gameplay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sad lions posted:

That's AC Unity. A bad bad game. Syndicate was legit fun and if you hate the modern story stuff it's probably your best bet as it's just a rare cutscene here and there that ties it in with the rest of the series. No modern era gameplay.

It also has probably one of the coolest undocumented secrets in a recent game.

You find a hidden area that unlocks a third protagonist who plays through a series of World War-era missions set during the bombing of London.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gizmo Chicken posted:

That's not London! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Sad lions posted:

Whoops sorry you're right. Syndicate is pretty good. Either way I don't remember being overwhelmed with collectable bullshit in it.
Syndicate is also good because throwing knives are back to being incredibly overpowered and it's fun to chuck them at dudes.