Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Could have fooled me; the number of reviews I've seen where it's obvious the reviewer didn't play for more than half an hour, and in some cases where it's dubious that they played the game at all, is pretty high.

That strikes me as a huge exaggeration. Games journalism has its problems but the pros put the hours in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
For a few years I had a semi-pro gig writing music articles. I love music, but when it was my JOB to listen to something, on a deadline, it was pretty easy to develop contempt for anything that was 'merely' good, a little derivative, etc. Something I would have just brushed off as 'OK' became seriously annoying when I HAD to listen to it FIVE TIMES, TODAY. On the other hand anything notably original or interesting was such a breath of fresh air that I probably overrated it just because it wasn't boring.

So I can sympathize with game reviewers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Imagined posted:

For a few years I had a semi-pro gig writing music articles. I love music, but when it was my JOB to listen to something, on a deadline, it was pretty easy to develop contempt for anything that was 'merely' good, a little derivative, etc. Something I would have just brushed off as 'OK' became seriously annoying when I HAD to listen to it FIVE TIMES, TODAY. On the other hand anything notably original or interesting was such a breath of fresh air that I probably overrated it just because it wasn't boring.

This isn't a bug, it's a feature of expertise in a subject.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."
Share 1 dram of fresh water with ptychomancer? <begin dev-stream ritual> https://www.twitch.tv/ptychomancer

Edit: Whoops, intended for the Qud thread.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I realise I sound like a major shill for Strafe already but with the latest drivers and the new patch my performance problems are gone. They've made a bunch of pretty major changes based on early feedback. I'm finding it an entertaining experience but there's still map gen issues - literally my first level was impossible to complete - and the ammo scarcity is still pissing me off.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Maelephant posted:

Share 1 dram of fresh water with ptychomancer? <begin dev-stream ritual> https://www.twitch.tv/ptychomancer

Edit: Whoops, intended for the Qud thread.

Don't worry, this is fine here too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thirsty Dog posted:

I realise I sound like a major shill for Strafe already but with the latest drivers and the new patch my performance problems are gone. They've made a bunch of pretty major changes based on early feedback. I'm finding it an entertaining experience but there's still map gen issues - literally my first level was impossible to complete - and the ammo scarcity is still pissing me off.

I don't mind reading positive stuff about it. This is a magnificent thread but sometimes the lesser stuff gets tossed under the bus kinda quick.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is your game a roguelike?

This is so cute. :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is v good

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Assassin's Creed: Rogue is a Roguelikelikelikelike

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

This is really good.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
There's a free dmans update due at the end of the month, dropping alongside the Pay2Lose DLC. I wrote about it a bit here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729&pagenumber=84#post472392070

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh my god

Edit Real life is also a roguelikelikelikelike

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh my god

Edit Real life is also a roguelikelikelikelike

Well it's got a simulationist approach to interaction between elements, and that's generally pretty roguelikey :shrug:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/864999658015211524

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SomethingAwful continues to be the home of The Best Roguelike Developers.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
Yes, seeing folks like Kyzrati, Jim and unormal killing it week after week has been super inspiring!

Tangledeep is creeping toward 60% completion - we've got a full input manager / ingame key binding thing now, which means controller support. For noobs, there's a new Adventure Mode which takes away permadeath, though you still lose XP, JP, and gold if you die. Visuals are getting polished every day and there are also around 8 backer-created legendary items now in the game. There's also a new branching path in the dungeon, something I want to expand on in a few more spots, where you can take one of two routes to reach the same destination - with different environments, monsters, and layouts in each route.

This all feels pretty good! I'd say the game is on course for Early Access in July. I can't believe I'm even typing this because I distinctly remember having no idea what I was doing as if it were yesterday. By that point there should be a lot more story beats in the game, as well as the final leg of the dungeon, final boss fight, more side areas/content, and basic anims/portraits for all player characters.

The new grass tiles are looking pretty dope:

Plus there's this guy.

Misbehaving monsters get the falcon glove:

ANYWAY unrelated to my own game, I've been playing the poo poo out of Shiren 5 on Vita. Boy does it not explain a lot ingame. I was hitting a wall for weeks until I read a guide online explaining how you can basically avoid permadeath, which is (I guess?) the intended way to progress. You still go back to level 1 and the starter town when you "die" but you keep items/gold which is what matters. Now I'm having way more fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Not to mention how great the in-game lore is so far :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:swoon:

Please tell me he's going to be playable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember that conquest of elysium game we played for a month

well the thread for that is dead and im playing it again and want to talk about it with goons so im gonna talk about it here

im playing voice of el right now and a senator is dominating the map and my only hope is that i can avoid their undivided attention long enough for el to start sending doom angels and stuff. i could take out my other nearest neighbor (bakemono) pretty easily right now but i think they and their oni stack running around flagging senator sites is the main reason i haven't been overrun with endless legions

also i made a mod that makes the pale ones not garbage but i've probably overtuned them

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Breaking the seals isn't really worth it, but the inquisitions are really good if you get to it pretty early. The paladins can learn some neat spells if you find a high level library and have a ton of money.

The best strategy is to start scum until your first guy has mass charm, and then you can get a no money expansion doom stack.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tollymain posted:

well the thread for that is dead and im playing it again and want to talk about it with goons so im gonna talk about it here

im playing voice of el right now and a senator is dominating the map and my only hope is that i can avoid their undivided attention long enough for el to start sending doom angels and stuff. i could take out my other nearest neighbor (bakemono) pretty easily right now but i think they and their oni stack running around flagging senator sites is the main reason i haven't been overrun with endless legions

also i made a mod that makes the pale ones not garbage but i've probably overtuned them

make sure you play with the goon mods from the thread, they make the early game indescribably better

i need to sit down and make the half-cost-units/rituals mod i was planning to do, i think it would speed things up a lot

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh yeah i rushed a cardinal asap

as for the seals its simply that i have no other option, i cannot fight the senator on equal terms

jazerus im currently the self-appointed curator of the goon mods because private speech moved on to other things :v:

im currently using the whole thing except for militia because i find i like to have either the militia mod enabled or the one that keeps independents in their home terrain but both seems a bit superfluous so i switch them up

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i still play it every now and then when i get a hankerin to crush some bad guys with the troll king or whatever. that game's a real fun little time waster.

as for the senator try sending a few crusades after him to soften him up, and then put together a few doom stacks of paladins or whatever the sacred horse guys are called. breaking the first few seals not too expensive relicwise but at a certain point buffing your blessed units becomes more cost effective especially once you start getting a lot of paladins/paladin commanders around and you can just start crushing

just note that any of your blessed units you leave sitting around without a commander can be scooped up by angels and such that happen to wander by. this can be a good thing or a bad thing

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah Senator is real nasty in knock-down drag-out mass warfare, but Crusades can really gently caress up his day because they force him to stop what he's doing and chase after them to recapture all the territory they keep rolling through. Plus, those cavalry can chew through the frontlines of his doomstack pretty drat fast.

At the very least, you'll delay him a good bit. If he's already powerful enough to eat a Crusade for breakfast then you've ignored him for wayyyyy too long and are probably hosed.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

make sure you play with the goon mods from the thread, they make the early game indescribably better

i need to sit down and make the half-cost-units/rituals mod i was planning to do, i think it would speed things up a lot

I am interested in looking at this game in the future, do you have a link to where these mods are? I dug up the right thread I think but they weren't in/near the OP

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Lunnaku/status/865737909797781510

:allears:

I love small games

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

occamsnailfile posted:

I am interested in looking at this game in the future, do you have a link to where these mods are? I dug up the right thread I think but they weren't in/near the OP

https://github.com/tollymain/AwfulCoE4Mods

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think i pretty much always prefer the senator to baron, mainly because eventually you can ascend your senator and his wives into godhood and they turn into radiant juggernauts who can whip out spells every single turn

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Thanks!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I doubt too many people in here think about it much, but the sequel to Armoured Commander is shifting "back to its roots" to be, once again, more roguelikelike-ish instead of a tactical game.

"ArmCom2 Dev posted:

After some reflection prompted by a brief mention of ArmCom2 in The Flare Path, as well as reading the excellent discussions of early computer gaming in The Digital Antiquarian, I’ve decided to return ArmCom2 to its roots, abandoning my static-map, platoon-based plans. The strengths of ArmCom1, such as they were, stemmed from the game experience of commanding a single tank and having to meet challenges with the crew and weapons available to you. I’ve re-worked the main map display in ArmCom2 so that the player tank is always in the center, and the game map moves and rotates around you. The crew is also back, as is a detailed description of your tank’s main gun and current status. This means that the ANSI depiction of your tank has had to be removed from the player tank console, but I did incorporate these unit portraits into the attack resolution window.

So what’s going to change from ArmCom1? My hope is that I can build on its strengths and make up for at least some of its shortcomings. In brief:

I will continue working on early war German and Polish units to start, with the aim of including all major units and theatres of the war, 1937-1945
The campaign day map and encounter map of ArmCom1 will be combined into a single map through which the player travels with their allied units, and on which battles also take place.
This map will be less abstract than the ArmCom1 map, with each map hex representing a 160 metre wide area. The position of units relative to your own will be more clear.
The player will be able to order allied units but won’t direct control their actions. Using these allies, which can include reconnaissance, tank-destroyer, infantry, etc. units, will be key to survival
Your tank will also have 2-4 allied tanks in its squadron. These tanks will follow your lead, and will try to support your attacks as best they can
For the most part the player won’t have to issue individual orders to tank crewmen; you can choose your tank’s actions and your crew will do the actions needed. If you do want a crewman to do something out of the ordinary, attempt a repair for example, then you can do that at the start of your turn, but this will restrict possible actions later on if, for example, your driver is occupied and can’t drive the tank.
Those are the core gameplay changes that I have in mind to start; hopefully I can get this working and there will be a lot more to come in the future. Next major goal is to complete a playable Proof of Concept version with the revised map and gameplay.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Neat, another game to attempt to remember to check out for sporadically.

Saw that the tank being used is a Panzer 35 (t) and got all excited.

Guess this means I should really attempt to play ArmCom, it's been sitting around on my hard drive unloved for awhile, but I just can't get rid of my lack of lust to play as a Sherman commander.

Although just the thought of being able to play as a doomed Marder III crew makes my brain dance around like a dog that wants to go for a walk.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I just picked up Dungeonmans - more like Fungeonmans!

I was on the fence due to the art style, but it is brilliant. If you are unsure and want a game that makes dugeoncrawling fun the go for it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been getting into Wasted and got a goddamn Cutana and went around slashing everyone to bits then I went down a few more levels.

Huh big green guys? Oh well, can they stand up to MY HANZO STEEL? Oh I guess they can. RIP.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've been getting into Wasted and got a goddamn Cutana and went around slashing everyone to bits then I went down a few more levels.

Huh big green guys? Oh well, can they stand up to MY HANZO STEEL? Oh I guess they can. RIP.

Oh Asuka.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Phrosphor posted:

I just picked up Dungeonmans - more like Fungeonmans!

I was on the fence due to the art style, but it is brilliant. If you are unsure and want a game that makes dugeoncrawling fun the go for it.

When you were uneasy about the art style, was it because the sprites weren't animated or was it something else? Do tell!

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
Has anyone else been playing Dead Cells? I feel dirty typing this, but it play like a Rogue-lite Symphony of the Night-game with semi-procedurally generated areas and loot with some Dark Souls style combat elements. After watching a stream of it the other day and how it plays I bought it and played the hell out of it last night. It has some persistent elements, if you survive to the end of levels to deposit your 'cells', similar to Rogue Legacy I'd say.

It is early access but it feels incredibly polished and it looks like that it can only get better from here.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've also been playing dead cells and it pretty much feels like 'rogue legacy but actually good' with a good influence from castlevania

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Yeah, I am Bad At Platformers but when it's done I might actually like it better than Risk of Rain (1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah it nailed the "just one more try" perfectly. I'm terrible though and only beat the first boss once so far. I keep forgetting about bombs and whatnot and usually just roll and and spam main attack.