Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Max posted:

I mean, realizing how dumb you are about Loki in the book is a plot point, since even Shadow smacks his head when he makes the connection.

I think at the time that book came out, you were less likely to recognize Loki's name than you are now, given his prevalence in the Marvel universe. It's smarter for them to not mention it.

Hearing it aloud has to make a difference. I listened to the audiobook, going in with nothing more than "there are gods in this." The narrator enunciated "Low-Key" as much as possible, but my immediate reaction was still "oh okay, it's Loki." The show clearly isn't interested in keeping viewers in the dark about anyone's identity for long, but I wonder if Shadow will figure it out sooner in the show too.

That reminds me, does the book explicitly identify Shadow as Baldr? I don't remember that at all if it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sorry Low-Key Lyesmith was horrible and I'm not going to not say it because one person doesn't want anyone to say so. I don't know why Neil Gaiman thought that was a clever alias. At least Mr. Wednesday and Mr. Nancy had some nuance.

Just making his last name Smith instead of Lyesmith would be good enough, come on man

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So the "coming to America" historian is Ibis right?

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

Schizotek posted:

Yeah. I think he was meant to be the historian even in the book.

gently caress, I can't wait until we get to the funeral home. Which sadly probably won't show up at all this season.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Toast Museum posted:

Hearing it aloud has to make a difference. I listened to the audiobook, going in with nothing more than "there are gods in this." The narrator enunciated "Low-Key" as much as possible, but my immediate reaction was still "oh okay, it's Loki." The show clearly isn't interested in keeping viewers in the dark about anyone's identity for long, but I wonder if Shadow will figure it out sooner in the show too.

That reminds me, does the book explicitly identify Shadow as Baldr? I don't remember that at all if it did.

I never thought of him as Baldr until I read this thread. It does make a nice little bon mot that a sun god is named "Shadow Moon," and the fact that he is set up as a sacrifice resonates, but... I dunno. What's the evidence, goons?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Loki literally rants about shoving a spear of mistletoe through his eye at one point towards the end.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Schizotek posted:

Loki literally rants about shoving a spear of mistletoe through his eye at one point towards the end.

Ah. Having just read Gaiman's Norse Mythology a few weeks ago, I now get the reference. But I wouldn't have at the time I read American Gods.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle the Loki/Mr. World reveal in the show. I wonder if Crispin Glover is going to have a similar accent or style of speech to Jonathan Tucker, or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nail Rat posted:

Sorry Low-Key Lyesmith was horrible and I'm not going to not say it because one person doesn't want anyone to say so. I don't know why Neil Gaiman thought that was a clever alias. At least Mr. Wednesday and Mr. Nancy had some nuance.

Just making his last name Smith instead of Lyesmith would be good enough, come on man

They just avoided saying his name on the show which works, all the better to make the audience forget he exists until the end. But yeah, changing his name to something like "John Lowe Keysmith" would be less on-the-nose than "Lyesmith".

Captain_Person posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle the Loki/Mr. World reveal in the show. I wonder if Crispin Glover is going to have a similar accent or style of speech to Jonathan Tucker, or something.

I was just discussing this with a friend of mine, its gonna be interesting. I mean Loki can change form, so I guess they'll probably just morph from Crispin Glover to whoever the other actor is at the end, but they may do some fun stuff with the reveal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Lets not argue this poo poo in both threads the whole loving show. Some people got it and some people didn't, and if you like huffing your own farts leave the rest of us out of it.

I never once clicked on an American Gods thread of any kind before yesterday, and I'll post whatever the gently caress I want to post. Congrats on being an rear end in a top hat to strangers on the internet :) I'm sure it takes a lot of courage.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
If you squint, there's juussst enough of a resemblance between the two that they might be able to do something cool with mirrors or something

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nessin posted:

Given the Media scene that's pretty obvious by this point. Although that was one part of the episode I thought they screwed the pooch, the scene with Media makes zero sense without the context of why they may think Shadow is important. If they knew what happened when he was lynched then they know it wasn't Shadow and if they don't know then all they have to work on is he managed to survive a lynching.

They want him because Wednesday wants him and they are lovely gods who are afraid of the old gods

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I never once clicked on an American Gods thread of any kind before yesterday, and I'll post whatever the gently caress I want to post. Congrats on being an rear end in a top hat to strangers on the internet :) I'm sure it takes a lot of courage.

:ironicat:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like every 100 years or so this seems to happen where there are a slew of new gods that wax and wane and are totally forgotten

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

If you squint, there's juussst enough of a resemblance between the two that they might be able to do something cool with mirrors or something

That'd be pretty cool. I have faith in the creative team that they'll be able to tease it somehow, otherwise it's a huge waste.

Also, did anybody catch the shadow of a falcon flying across the car and think it was a quick tease of Horus, or am I just imagining that?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Schizotek posted:

Yeah. He's another case of the credits spelling out who he is name wise.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Captain_Person posted:

Also, did anybody catch the shadow of a falcon flying across the car and think it was a quick tease of Horus, or am I just imagining that?

I thought it was either Hugin or Munin, and didn't stop to consider Horus. That would be cool though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Could also be a Native American thunderbird

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So Zorya says that Shadow's mum dies of cancer and he confirms it. Didn't she die of sickle cell anaemia related complications in the book? Wonder why the change.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably just snappier for a TV show. Everyone knows cancer is bad news. If the audience has to recall what sickle cell anaemia is, they're gonna miss the next two lines. It works in a book because you can take a quick break.

I'm not surprised they're expanding Salim and the ifrit's story, it's got a lot to it. Culture clash, immigrant experience, exploitation of workers, homosexuality, it's a rich vein to mine in the year 2017. I hope they're being really smart and making the ifrit an Uber driver.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Probably just snappier for a TV show. Everyone knows cancer is bad news. If the audience has to recall what sickle cell anaemia is, they're gonna miss the next two lines. It works in a book because you can take a quick break.

That and the fact that sickle cell anemia is a disease that affects disproportionately black people, which is another tidbit about Shadow's ancestry in the book, but is moot in a tv show.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Toast Museum posted:

The book only identifies him as Wednesday's son, we never find out his actual first name. In Monarch of the Glen he specifically says that his name is Baldr, though it might have been spelt as Balder, I don't remember.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/861990044495560704

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Are you here, a kitten? I'm in the third row.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 11, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, got to see episode 3 thanks to an event sponsored by GLAAD, which included open bar and hor d'oeuvres. Not only were the five guests on the above billing there, but also in the audience were Yetide Badaki, Orlando Jones, Bruce Langley, and Chris Obi.

Here is my spoilery review, mouse over at your own risk:

dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong
dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 11, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, got to see episode 3 thanks to an event sponsored by GLAAD, which included open bar and hor d'oeuvres. Not only were the five guests on the above billing there, but also in the audience were Yetide Badaki, Orlando Jones, Bruce Langley, and Chris Obi.

Here is my spoilery review, mouse over at your own risk:

dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong

....the witch is dead?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It probably says something about the company I keep that I was able to get a friend interested in this show by telling him there are erect dongs in it. This week's episode should get him hooked for sure

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I didn't know it wasn't actually confirmed, but I'm glad that it now is.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/862748108882669569

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That dog wants to play Anubis.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

What roles haven't been cast yet? Because I was thinking about it and I really want Tom Waits to be involved somehow

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 11, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Was whisky jack cast yet?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

One thing I never got is that Thor doesn't have an American counterpart. I would think with all the neo-Nazis tattoing Nordic runes and wearing Thor's hammers, you could do an interesting spin on that.

He did, he was Wednesday's original partner before Loki but killed himself out of depression.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

What roles haven't been cast yet? Because I was thinking about it and I really want Tom Waits to be involved somehow

Oh good God, yes. Invent a new God if they have to, he can be the God of Railroad Hobos for all I care.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

precision posted:

Oh good God, yes. Invent a new God if they have to, he can be the God of Railroad Hobos for all I care.

Or hell, just THE Railroad. Don't tell me America once upon a time didn't treat trains like a god. In its infancy, trains were everything, a shining beacon to prosperity, a figure to look up to, puffing his smoke from his pipes, hauling the great loads and burdens. People put their hopes and dreams in The Railroad. They wrote songs about it, made stories about it, sacrificed a great many lives, in labor, in war, in crime to it. The very shape of America is due in no small part to it. In today's age, The Railroad is old, it's showing its gray hairs, it's weariness, it's faded glory. People are more interested in the air, or the highway, but he still trudges on, having seen everything that makes this country great, and everything that makes it poo poo. People now barely remember he even exists until he gets in his way. They'd rather curse his name than praise it more often than not, but at the end of the day, despite all the age, all the tiredness, all the bruises, America still NEEDS him. And he still has his strength despite everything, so he keeps doing his job, staying less in the limelight than others, still nursing himself, still rambling down the line.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Choco1980 posted:

Or hell, just THE Railroad. Don't tell me America once upon a time didn't treat trains like a god.

Someone, maybe Media, specifically mentions railroads as sort of a fad god.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neil is saying they're planning for five seasons. Which is two more than I thought it was planned for, but now I have no idea where I heard (or thought I heard) three.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Carnivals, circuses or dive bars might also work, though the train idea is gold. I realize I'm fantasy casting for a role that probably doesn't exist, but tbf there was a verse or two from I believe "Tango Til They're Sore" used as a chapter heading in the book, and a girl can dream :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The railroad god is in the book but IIRC he doesn't really do anything other than get mentioned in a scene.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

a kitten posted:

Neil is saying they're planning for five seasons

That pretty much solidifies that the show will go well into Anansi Boys/AG2 territory, I really can't imagine them doing 5 seasons without even more padding than we've already gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

precision posted:

That pretty much solidifies that the show will go well into Anansi Boys/AG2 territory, I really can't imagine them doing 5 seasons without even more padding than we've already gotten.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/862783734432624641

To me that sounds like Anansi Boys or any new material would take the show past five seasons.

• Locked thread