Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Inverness posted:

Are there any must-have or recommended mods? I'm playing my first game without mods so I actually know what I'm getting and I've had little issue.

The thing I feel I really want a mod for is belts. I want a single tile part that evenly distributes material across the whole belt if its backed up on one side. I know you can do this with a splitter and a single other belt, but that is two extra tiles I'd rather save. I'd also like a splitter that evenly divides what is on the left and right side back into separate belts. I realize this can also be done with a giant contraption with underground belts but that again takes up a bunch of space.

There's this:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Razorin/Single-Splitter

quote:

Balances the left and the right side of a transport belt by taking items alternately left and right from the input belt. If one side is empty it will be skipped. Output goes the same: one left and one right, if one side is blocked it will be skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Somebody is working on a pumpjack pipe auto-router.

Outpost generator is live: http://autotorio.com/outpost

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 11, 2017

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

Somebody is working on a pumpjack pipe auto-router.

Outpost generator is live: http://autotorio.com/outpost

Eventually someone will automate playing factorio and we can all go home.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Eventually someone will automate playing factorio and we can all go home out.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GotLag posted:

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Eventually someone will automate playing factorio and we can all go get home out.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
actually writing a factorio-AI would be really cool

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, there was that guy who made a self-replicating factory which mostly fits the requirement.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chev posted:

Well, there was that guy who made a self-replicating factory which mostly fits the requirement.

Yeah, the Grey Goo factory was kinda crazy. I think he had to use a couple of mods to let his computer network call blueprints in .14, but that was it.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Eventually someone will automate playing factorio and we can all go home.

Yeah but then we'll have to automate the automation of Factorio. It's too much work to bother with blueprint strings when the computer can do it for us.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Then we automate this thread with a Markov chain generator, and can all atrophy away to nothing.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Somewhere in there, development of Factorio will get automated as well

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Slashrat posted:

Somewhere in there, development of Factorio will get automated as well

They already have an automated bug-testing sequence they put the game through!

Which is...honestly...more of something that every game developer should do and shouldn't be as special as it is.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Do you have any more information on this?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

accipter posted:

Do you have any more information on this?

They have talked about it a bit in their friday blog posts from time to time. Most recently here.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Alkydere posted:

Which is...honestly...more of something that every game developer should do and shouldn't be as special as it is.
Most makers of legitimate software have been doing automated testing for ages.

Most makers of video games are rank amateurs managed by idiots.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_testing

Its hard to say they're the only ones in the industry doing it automated but its hard to set up to be automated and actually spit out useful data and they have absolutely amazing patch hygiene for how many features they churn through so it's hard to call a coincidence. The basic idea isn't a far cry from triple As specifying and handing out test matrices to minimum wage game QA contractors but the economics start turning toward automation when you are in development for years and need to push feature packs inbetween dev cycles.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Chev posted:

8-1-7, not 7-1-7, IIRC, unless it's changed in one of the subsequent 0.15.x

A refinery makes 2 heavy/s and cracking consumes 13.3 heavy/s so the proper ratio would be either 6:1 or 7:1, with the smallest perfect setup being 20 : 3 : 21. I've reworked the solution with a "good enough" 6:1:7, although 7:1:8 might be better as it would only slow one refinery and only when heavy has almost no draw.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
All of these refinery blueprints that don't consider beacons or modules make me sad. As you add modules or beacons to different parts of the oil setup you're going to end up changing the optimal ratio anyway, so a design that carries inherent flexibility has a lot of benefits. This is doubly true if you produce and consume inconsistent amounts of solid fuel.

Space isn't particularly limited, so just have blueprints for tileable refineries, coal liquefaction refineries, plastic, solid fuel, and both kinds of cracking. Then just extend them as needed in a line whenever one is the binding constraint.

You can do some very simple pump logic on your storage tanks (such as only crack heavy oil if you have enough leftover for coal liquefaction, and only crack light oil if you have space for petroleum gas). If you're concerned about power costs you can tie that same logic to power switches instead of pumps.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can a single red belt really feed 48 furnaces? And a blue belt 70? That's so many furnances!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Can a single red belt really feed 48 furnaces? And a blue belt 70? That's so many furnances!

Yes, and yeah it is. As long as the red belt is fully saturated, I've never had a single furnace not running, and I've got that nifty mod that overlays green / yellow / red dots on objects to show if they're bottlenecked or inefficiently working, and my furnace arrays are always a solid green unless the metal output belt is backed up and they turn yellow.

Feels feckin good, and removes the lovely guesswork of "I'll just keep feeding this furnace array with ore and expanding it until I end up with 3 or 4 furnaces that don't actually work 100% of the time and poo poo constantly goes wrong due to ore supply not meeting demand".

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
New use for radar mode: I wanted to see if I could put 8 of a really big thing where I currently have 4 spaced out and some extra space at the sides. So I went to radar mode, found a clear patch of terrain, ghosted the 8 things, blueprinted the ghost and exited radar mode and lined up the blueprint to where I wanted it.

I have enough room

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zetsubou-san posted:

New use for radar mode: I wanted to see if I could put 8 of a really big thing where I currently have 4 spaced out and some extra space at the sides. So I went to radar mode, found a clear patch of terrain, ghosted the 8 things, blueprinted the ghost and exited radar mode and lined up the blueprint to where I wanted it.

I have enough room

I don't understand this, explain it better? Also why would you want 8 radars in the same spot? Is it just to scan larger areas quickly or?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

You vs the guy she told you not to worry about etc etc
My old coal fired 20 furnaces per express belt steel production on the left, 48 electric furnaces fed by red belts on the right side.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Loopoo posted:

Yes, and yeah it is. As long as the red belt is fully saturated, I've never had a single furnace not running, and I've got that nifty mod that overlays green / yellow / red dots on objects to show if they're bottlenecked or inefficiently working, and my furnace arrays are always a solid green unless the metal output belt is backed up and they turn yellow.

What mod is this?

FISHMANPET posted:

Steel furnaces have a crafting speed of 2x, and an iron/copper plate takes 3.5s, so they take 1.75s to craft something. A red belt feeds 26.66 items a second, so 26.66 * 1.75 = 46.66.

vOv fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 12, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e: dp

Qubee
May 31, 2013

vOv posted:

What mod is this?

Steel furnaces have a crafting speed of 2x, and an iron/copper plate takes 3.5s, so they take 1.75s to craft something. A red belt feeds 26.66 items a second, so 26.66 * 1.75 = 46.66.

This mod. It's loving amazing for running through your factory and getting at-a-glance info on what poo poo needs to be fixed and what poo poo is working perfectly well. If it shows green, everything is running smoothly, if it shows yellow, you're overproducing and the object has nowhere to place the products. If it's red, it's not getting enough resources.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sweet, just what I needed, more ways for the game to tell me my factory sucks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Sweet, just what I needed, more ways for the game to tell me my factory sucks.

Nah don't worry about it, my dude. It's real unobtrusive and you can flick it on and off so it's not constantly triggering you about how garbage your factory is. That being said though, prepare yourself for the intensely satisfying feeling of running through your factory and just seeing green dots for as far as the eye can see.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Nah don't worry about it, my dude. It's real unobtrusive and you can flick it on and off so it's not constantly triggering you about how garbage your factory is. That being said though, prepare yourself for the intensely satisfying feeling of running through your factory and just seeing green dots for as far as the eye can see.

Sounds like you aren't trying to increase production hard enough :colbert:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kinetica posted:

Sounds like you aren't trying to increase production hard enough :colbert:

If we were living in the olden days, this would be grounds for a duel. I'd straight up slap you in the face with my glove and demand satisfaction. How dare you insinuate my factory isn't at a respectable production quantity. I'll have you know my factory is magnificent.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Green lights means either your production or your throughput is too low.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

No it doesn't. Green light means the assembler / furnace is running at 100% efficiency, as in it's constantly working and not pausing and waiting for ingredients. A yellow light means it's backed up and has nowhere to place the item it just made. A red light means it's not getting enough resources to create whatever item it's meant to be creating. Red light is bad. Yellow is so-so. Green is perfect.

I just use the trickle-down method. If my wire assemblers are constantly at a green, I'll go and check the next step in production (green circuits for example). If they're green or yellow, then I'll give myself a pat on the back and know I'm doing ok. If my wire assemblers are green but my green circuit assemblers are red, it means I need to produce more wires, so I'll add a few more wire assemblers. It's great for quickly diagnosing trouble spots at a glance, without having to run and look at every belt in your factory, scratching your head and wondering which assemblers need to be revised.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 12, 2017

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Ok, I am struggling through yellow science right now. I am tempted to tear down my science area and Mall, and smelter area and figure out a better way to get more resources to my bus and generate more blue circuits. That seems much more preferable to restarting and just getting this far again in 30 hours. Do people do that?

To top it off I need to automate a basic nuclear setup because I am still very tired of trucking coal. I have a stash of the power uranium and enough to start a kovarex process. This is a really basic feature, but are there any good videos on combinators and how there logic works?

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 12, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If everything's green, it means there's no headroom. It's perfect for now, but you'll need to expand it as you add more downstream sinks for whatever's being produced.

It's a bit weird because if a production area has a mix of green and yellow, it's the amount of *yellow* that tells you how much more you can consume before needing to upgrade.

e:^ never restart, just go build somewhere else. You'll be thankful whenever you have to run back to the old factory to grab a bunch of inserters or assemblers or whatever.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dirk Pitt posted:

Ok, I am struggling through yellow science right now. I am tempted to tear down my science area and Mall, and smelter area and figure out a better way to get more resources to my bus and generate more blue circuits. That seems much more preferable to restarting and just getting this far again in 30 hours. Do people do that?

To top it off I need to automate a basic nuclear setup because I am still very tired of trucking coal. I have a stash of the power uranium and enough to start a kovarex process. This is a really basic feature, but are there any good videos on combinators and how there logic works?

What exactly do you mean by 'mall'?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Dirk Pitt posted:

Always be rebuilding your factory.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

vOv posted:

Probs a section of his factory that has all the items automated that he can stop and shop at to grab what he needs.

Don't restart, you'll just endlessly be stuck in a loop of hitting a wall and restarting and never getting anywhere. Go make a new factory far away from your old one connected by rail, and piece-by-piece build it up, using your old factory as a crutch to help you build the new one bigger and better. Just don't go super big at first cause you'll be spending ten hours building the drat thing before it even starts working, which can burn you out super fast. Plan it well, build it small with plenty of space to expand, and get it up and running and self-sufficient. Then you'll be making leaps and bounds and have a new megafactory in no time.

Once you've got an army of construction bots, adding new sections to your factory becomes child's play and isn't so painful to do.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

vOv posted:

What loopoo said. I have a section of my factory that builds everything I need up through purple science.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Loopoo posted:

Probs a section of his factory that has all the items automated that he can stop and shop at to grab what he needs.

Don't restart, you'll just endlessly be stuck in a loop of hitting a wall and restarting and never getting anywhere. Go make a new factory far away from your old one connected by rail, and piece-by-piece build it up, using your old factory as a crutch to help you build the new one bigger and better. Just don't go super big at first cause you'll be spending ten hours building the drat thing before it even starts working, which can burn you out super fast. Plan it well, build it small with plenty of space to expand, and get it up and running and self-sufficient. Then you'll be making leaps and bounds and have a new megafactory in no time.

Once you've got an army of construction bots, adding new sections to your factory becomes child's play and isn't so painful to do.

That's a good idea. Lets my current factory hobble along and I can just fill a train with belts and poo poo and start fresh. I really don't have the energy to tear down my early game smelters and figure out how to fit what I need in a space I have. Clean implementation will be best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dirk Pitt posted:

What loopoo said. I have a section of my factory that builds everything I need up through purple science.

Oh, I'm dumb and I just slap an assembler down in a part of my factory that's already got whatever combination of resources.