Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Other than cramming 2 years of training into 9 months, life is going pretty good. Army sent me to a great area where junior officers have pretty good job opportunities when they get out. If this op tempo keeps up the Army only owns me until next summer, if I really wanted to I could already be acaping

Stay strong when you have "The Talk" with your BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
You should stay in because contrary to what the Army had told you you've cultivated 0 real world skills outside of working for an oil company or selling insurance or getting some sad rear end contractor job working with the Army

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I guess maybe you could go officer to call center team leader but it would probably be tough sledding with an officers skillset tbh

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Are you having a stroke?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

If I lived anywhere but Washington you'd probably be right

You're super well intentioned so I'm going to give you some advice:

1) Go to grad school and get a degree to replace whatever led to you going to OCS in the first place
2) In the event you wind up in a job interview, don't try to pretend that anyone cares about your military experience. If you end up in a place where they do, you're probably going to be underpaid. Any notorious government contractor (Raytheon, Lockheed, GDIT, Northrup) is bad and you shouldn't work for them
3) More generally, don't be that guy who still pretends he's in the military 5 years after he gets out
4) Also, just because someone is a veteran doesn't mean they want to hear all about your time at Yakima. If I had a dollar for every time some former airforce guy told me about how sweet it was to kill terrorists as a plumber in the mid 90s, I'd be able to retire at 27.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Are you having a stroke?

No? Ive seen officers from LTs to LTCs struggle to find legit work post Army. The conception that it will lead to anything useful isnt grounded in reality because generally no one gives a flying gently caress about your military service. Businesses only care about skill sets and a 19A isn't going to do much of anything that overlaps with the real world.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

No? Ive seen officers from LTs to LTCs struggle to find legit work post Army. The conception that it will lead to anything useful isnt grounded in reality because generally no one gives a flying gently caress about your military service. Businesses only care about skill sets and a 19A isn't going to do much of anything that overlaps with the real world.

I think a lot of it has to do with how you frame it. If you go in talking about how you're a warrior leader, nobody is going to loving care. If you go in discussing how you're a manager of X number of personnel and responsible for Y number of assets totaling $Z millions of dollars and managing cross-functional projects involving however many personnel and different agencies, then people will begin to listen.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

milk milk lemonade posted:

42H is a golden MOS for civilian work.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
My question would be is that actually what you did as a JO though? I've seen folks have a lot of success with big corporations that purposefully cultivate recruiting pipelines to the military and programs to train people up (GE, Chase) but generally they are company grades and above. And if you're in a FA with plenty of overlap in the real world seems to make a huge difference. But why would I hire someone as a people manager in a field they have 0 experience in? I'm struggling to think of an industry where 'leadership' is more important than understanding how the business works and what your people need to do on a day to day basis.

I think your advice about grad school is spot on because honestly that's what I've seen a lot of people forced into doing.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Grad school is definitely something I'm considering, I'll have 100% GI Bill in a little less than a year from now.

I'm definitely not the type to go on about being a "warrior leader" and other dumb army jargon. I do however think that a junior officer when given the right duty positions has a pretty wide field of experience that many people never get. It's one of the reasons why I want to become my BN's maintenance officer despite the fact that it's a job with long hours.

I've had it pretty good here so far, I was doing a CPT's job from the moment I showed up because of a shortage of personnel and kept the job until I became a PL because I was pretty loving good at it.

The one thing I have going against me is I'm not a brown nosing rear end kisser like the "best" LT's. Ironically my platoon's soldiers and NCO's had them as PL's and hated them.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Grad school is also a good way to transition from army to civilian mindset.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zeris posted:

Grad school is also a good way to transition from army to civilian mindset.

Grad school rocks. I work on the side as a divemaster helping teach classes and doing guided tours around local shipwrecks, hopefully got a summer job as a teacher for the local aquarium, and this fall I'll be done with all my GIS classes and ready to bail out of here.

Nobody here cares that I'm a former LT, but that's likely because I live not too far from Fort Bragg and Camp Lejeune :v:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My only concern with grad school is what kind of GPA I'll need. I majored in International Relations but don't want to go any further with that, not sure yet what I'd like to pursue yet. Definitely want to start planning for my post Army future anyways even if it is still potentially a few years out.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
For most degrees it won't matter. veteran card trumps most anything and also explains the change from whatever your last degree was in

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
lol dude I got a 2.8 with a history degree (granted at a good undergrad) and I'm starting a top 10 MBa program in a month. It's all about how you frame it and if you don't come off as a mongoloid in interviews. And this is coming from a 19A.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Grad school is best school

As long as you can show you're not an inbred douche who can't think critically you shouldn't have a problem getting into grad school.

It's a second chance for butt peeping and acting like a college student, although you are much smarter and experienced than some 18 year old gently caress boy living on his own for the first time.

If you can though go to a literal brick and mortar grad school... Don't go online

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's good to hear because my GPA was like a 2.8 something.

I'll be like 32ish by the time I can go to grad school, unless I get out next summer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MurderBot posted:

Grad school is best school

As long as you can show you're not an inbred douche who can't think critically you shouldn't have a problem getting into grad school.

It's a second chance for butt peeping and acting like a college student, although you are much smarter and experienced than some 18 year old gently caress boy living on his own for the first time.

If you can though go to a literal brick and mortar grad school... Don't go online

I've been pretty happy with my online courses so far, but then again I'm employed full time. I do have the option of taking them on campus, but my work schedule is too unpredictable to dedicate 3 hours to a sitdown lecture each week. If I continue on to do a PHD then I'll have to spend time there, though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if i take classes online i will fail, because i can always just do it later.

i can't stand dumbass 20 year olds, but it's better than failing.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

That's good to hear because my GPA was like a 2.8 something.

I'll be like 32ish by the time I can go to grad school, unless I get out next summer.

Get out as soon as possible. Every day you risk some mongoloid running you over in a humvee, your back or knees that you thought were fine giving out, basically the million ways that the military can grind you up because of all the stupid people.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When my wife went back to grad school as a mix of online courses as well as brick and mortar for scientific labs and field work courses while working full time 5 days/week working, 2 days/week doing a full day of school and commute, she still really liked it. She has a very strong work ethic though and had a job where she could, within reason, set her hours at the office and perpetually had admin leave due to travel and overtime.

That said, she was still in her 20s and was still like "holy poo poo 22-year olds are very different from me" in the sense that they often were really smart but couldn't coordinate basic poo poo like when to have a meeting or how to travel somewhere or didn't realize wetland field work might get them dirty or require certain clothes or equipment.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

if i take classes online i will fail, because i can always just do it later.

i can't stand dumbass 20 year olds, but it's better than failing.

These aren't self paced; you have rigid due dates for assignments and participation.

For undegrad, I encourage people to definitely not go online. There's too much varied poo poo going on with electives and everything. For grad school, you're presumably doing something you're interested in, so you'll actually dedicate the time to it. If not, then you shouldn't be in grad school.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

There's a big difference in experience and personality of a grad student in comparison to a sophomore in undergrad. There's nothing wrong with going to school online but if you have the opportunity to go to school and get extra funds for living expenses you get a vastly different experience than doing your work from home.

If you end up being a GTA though you'll hate your life since you have to deal with undergrads but your tuition is paid for soooo FYGM

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i know its a meme but i laughed pretty hard when i saw it (i am also a little stoned)

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

MurderBot posted:

There's a big difference in experience and personality of a grad student in comparison to a sophomore in undergrad. There's nothing wrong with going to school online but if you have the opportunity to go to school and get extra funds for living expenses you get a vastly different experience than doing your work from home.

If you end up being a GTA though you'll hate your life since you have to deal with undergrads but your tuition is paid for soooo FYGM

It also depends on your goals. If you're shooting for a tier 1 consulting or i banking job none of them will take you seriously without a brick and mortar masters. Plus, yoga butts. Also pantsuit butts. Don't underestimate pantsuit butts.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

TBeats posted:

i know its a meme but i laughed pretty hard when i saw it (i am also a little stoned)

Just put this in the OP for the next thread and whoever did this one too, thanks.

gently caress you if you're still in. Double gently caress you if you re-enlist.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Grad school rocks. I work on the side as a divemaster helping teach classes and doing guided tours around local shipwrecks, hopefully got a summer job as a teacher for the local aquarium, and this fall I'll be done with all my GIS classes and ready to bail out of here.

I don't know what type of grad school this is but it is highly unrepresentative of a typical doctorate program.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOEmHczkCw

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wow. Also, could totally happen.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Next week I'm going to write 1-3 parking tickets for the GSA vans the recruiters drive and keep parking in a no parking zone. It's the same MEPS I swore in at. Small victories...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Woof Blitzer posted:

Next week I'm going to write 1-3 parking tickets for the GSA vans the recruiters drive and keep parking in a no parking zone. It's the same MEPS I swore in at. Small victories...

No balls

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Woof Blitzer posted:

Be sure to put "Thank you for your service" at the end of each.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I had a great morning and a really loving stupid as poo poo and loving goddammit afternoon.

Thanks Army, for the morning at least. No thanks for the rest of the day. Welp, back to doing Army things.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

I had a great morning and a really loving stupid as poo poo and loving goddammit afternoon.

Thanks Army, for the morning at least. No thanks for the rest of the day. Welp, back to doing Army things.

https://twitter.com/GermanyinUSA/status/863130108944670720

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

A Bad Poster posted:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

I will donate $10 to any charity if you do this.

E: pics required

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

TBeats posted:

I will donate $10 to any charity if you do this.

E: pics required

Ok see you next week :cheers:

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Woof Blitzer posted:

Ok see you next week :cheers:

:cheers: doing the lord's work m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

A Bad Poster posted:

"It would be hooah of you to park in a designated parking space."