Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

hakimashou posted:

Why don't they just ban the overbreeding of them if that's the real issue?

And why is it OK for millions of animals a year to live miserable lives and die gruesome deaths just for meat for urbanites, but a handful of foxes cant be killed to maintain a cherished part of rural traditional culture?

It's not ok, it's just not something you can't legislate against, because you'll be crushed. People have loving stupid ideas about meat.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I'd rather an actual blood sport stay banned, thank you very much. Or would you like to see badger/bull baiting and cock fighting make a return too.

How about dog fights?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kokoro Wish posted:

I'd rather an actual blood sport stay banned, thank you very much. Or would you like to see badger/bull baiting and cock fighting make a return too.

How about dog fights?

Just fox hunts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think Fox Hunt should be brought back, except instead of foxes it's posh people.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hakimashou posted:

Just fox hunts.

Y'know what.

gently caress off nazi.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

endlessmonotony posted:

Y'know what.

gently caress off nazi.

The nazis were against fox hunting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1407954/Thanks-to-Hitler-hunting-with-hounds-is-still-verboten.html

quote:

Thanks to Hitler, hunting with hounds is still verboten

The Fuhrer, a vegetarian, was the pioneer of hunting bans. His draconian laws were announced in Germany on July 3, 1934, on the grounds that hunting with hounds was 'unsporting'. His odd legacy lives on, report David Harrison and Tony Paterson

12:01AM BST 22 Sep 2002
If Labour MPs ban hunting with hounds, they will follow the pioneering efforts of a leader of a very different political persuasion: Adolf Hitler.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I wish you'd disagree with Hitler on human rights issues and not animal rights.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

endlessmonotony posted:

I wish you'd disagree with Hitler on human rights issues and not animal rights.

I do though. Just because something is a meme in the thread doesn't mean it's true.

This is the thread that thinks corbyn is good, remember.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

hakimashou posted:

Just fox hunts.

get tae gently caress

please just get tae

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hakimashou posted:

I do though. Just because something is a meme in the thread doesn't mean it's true.

This is the thread that thinks corbyn is good, remember.

should the united states have used nuclear weapons on the soviet union at any point in history

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Just look at all the good that comes from hunting the fox.

The people who make the clothes get work, the people who raise the dogs and tend to them, all the doggies get to have a nice life too, traipsing around in a pack chasing foxes. There's work to be done tending to the horses, making saddles and things. Local pubs and restaurants catering to all the folks who come out for it.

And everyone in the village or whatever gets free entertainment, the spectacle of all the people in their finery on their pretty horses, the pack of dogs, it's good for spectators.

And it's a wonderful connection to the past and britain's world-renowned rural culture. It's a community thing.

quote:

In rural areas hunting assumes great significance beyond the activity of hunting because of its social contribution to the lives of rural communities. Hunting gives participants a strong sense of “belonging” to their local hunt in following a shared activity. This cohesion of hunting communities became ever more apparent during the foot and mouth crisis. An example being trained hunt staff helping with the contiguous cull – their professionalism was much appreciated by farmers.

A survey carried out by Product Studies Research in January 2000 reported that:
273 hunts hold a total of 18,000 hunting days each season.
Total annual attendance at these meets is 1,280,000 persons of which 42% are mounted and 58% are un-mounted.
Hunts organise much else besides hunting. 285 hunts organise over 21 different types of equestrian and social events. Each year this totals 3,950 functions with an overall attendance of 1,326,000 people.

The statistic on the un-mounted followers is of particular interest and political relevance. For many retired people, following the local hunt during the winter months is their chief leisure activity.

http://www.mfha.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=58

At the very least these decisions should be devolved to rural areas, since its only the people there that they affect.

Whether fox hunts go on or not can make no difference to the life of any urbanite.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

R. Guyovich posted:

should the united states have used nuclear weapons on the soviet union at any point in history

Only if it would have saved more lives than it cost.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hakimashou posted:

are there any points in time in which that would be a realistic expectation

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

R. Guyovich posted:

are there any points in time in which that would be a realistic expectation

I really don't know.

Those years-ago posts probably wouldn't stand up to sober daylight hours standards of posting, and I ate a few probies over them, but what's all that weighed against the fun the folks in here have gotten to have dropping sick burns on me with them over and over? I figure for the brave and dedicated post-history-scourers, stumbling across it must be like breaking open King Tut's tomb; their eyes widen in the golden glow.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 12, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

hakimashou posted:

gently caress off

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
How many people even died in the Eastern bloc specifically due to Soviet policy after 1945? The famines were already over by that time. Definitely nowhere near the millions that would have died in a nuclear exchange and Soviet invasion of western Europe.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm not pro-fox hunting, but the ban has had a hugely negative effect on the fox population in the country . Idiots on horseback were doing that thing where the weakest died and the population was being kept under control. farmers were not allowed to go out and kill them all because biffy and the lord of wankershire must have their fun. The c/hunt was banned and farmers simply go out and shoot every fox they can find, because foxes are nasty little shits who will shred any lamb they can get hold of, often leaving them alive, or kill a whole hen house full of chickens and just take one.

Derbyshire could have told them that would happen, one of the Dukes of Devonshire who have traditionally been decent old boys who don't treat people like poo poo, didn't like fox hunting and banned it on his land (most of Derbyshire) because he thought it was barbaric, not just for the foxes but because horses are liable to lame themselves on dry stone walls. We have very very few foxes.

It's what happens when you are hell bent on winning voters over as quickly as possible without listening to the civil service, and giving them time to come up with a solution.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

hakimashou posted:

The people who make the clothes get work, the people who raise the dogs and tend to them, all the doggies get to have a nice life too, traipsing around in a pack chasing foxes. There's work to be done tending to the horses, making saddles and things. Local pubs and restaurants catering to all the folks who come out for it.

And everyone in the village or whatever gets free entertainment, the spectacle of all the people in their finery on their pretty horses, the pack of dogs, it's good for spectators.

And it's a wonderful connection to the past and britain's world-renowned rural culture. It's a community thing.

At the very least these decisions should be devolved to rural areas, since its only the people there that they affect.

Whether fox hunts go on or not can make no difference to the life of any urbanite.

Imagine the benefit of starting our own gestapo, people could get work from making the uniforms, and they could hold parades and public executions as community events :allears:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Imagine the benefit of starting our own gestapo, people could get work from making the uniforms, and they could hold parades and public executions as community events :allears:

I think comparing hunting foxes to the gestapo is kind of unseemly.

Foxes are cool and all but they aren't people you know.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

hakimashou posted:

Trail hunting suffices for all these things and is still legal. It's only an issue for those who absolutely must see an animal get torn to shreds at the end of the event.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

jabby posted:

EDIT: Headlines from the Tory press tomorrow seem to focus on how many 'anonymous Labour sources' hate the manifesto and won't be campaigning on it. If this election actually ends up being remotely close the sheer incandescent rage of the membership towards the PLP is going to be quite something.

Thought Experiment:

Labour somehow get a majority in this election.
Enough MPs defect to the Tories to give them a majority.

What happens next?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Chucat posted:

Thought Experiment:

What happens next?

"I choose violence"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hunts still gather so you can still see the traditional stuff for the tourists, it's just a glorified group ride now. Something like 250,000 people go out to watch the Boxing Day gatherings. The actual hunting of the foxes was always secondary to the pomp and pub going.

I dislike it when right wingers use stuff like fox hunting as an example of the real disconnect between rural life and city life, and London's complete lack of tolerance or understanding of it. One of our local schools got put on a list because some twat from Ofsted thought that the 7 children in it weren't being exposed to enough non-white people or cultures in real life. They didn't think the kids were racist or being exposed to racism, it was simply beyond their comprehension that the children of farmers in the middle of the countryside might not have any non-white friends and would have to learn about other cultures from books or videos.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Chucat posted:

Thought Experiment:

What happens next?

Confidence motion, government resigns, general election.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

hakimashou posted:

I think comparing hunting foxes to the gestapo is kind of unseemly.

Foxes are cool and all but they aren't people you know.

It was more the point of how pathetic that reasoning sounds when justifying something evil.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chucat posted:

Thought Experiment:

What happens next?

Probably:

Party Boat posted:

Confidence motion, government resigns, general election.

but the Queen/Privy Council do have the option of asking the Tories to form a Government rather than calling an election. It's incredibly unlikely and would probably result in the end of the prerogative but it is, theoretically, within the monarch's powers to do so.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Chucat posted:

Thought Experiment:

What happens next?

Pigs fly.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Shut the gently caress up you nazi oval office

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Polly Toynbee has it right, the manifesto is full of good and popular stuff but it doesn't matter if you haven't earned the credibility as a leader for people to believe you will be able to deliver it.

e: ps. this is definitely the narrative the left needs to start churning in the background if it wants to survive. Accept Corbyn was a terrible leader, focus on how popular the manifesto was. The left deserves to try again with someone a bit more prepared for the job.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 12, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
How many extra Labour votes would we get by allowing 16-17 year olds to vote?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

How many more generations would Labour have had to held onto power for before the hunt ban became accepted as the norm?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Fifteen million.

E: to answer both the above questions.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

AP posted:

How many extra Labour votes would we get by allowing 16-17 year olds to vote?

I did some back of a fag packet numbers in the thread yesterday, if we generously assume the same turnout as 18-24 year olds in 2015 it's just under 650k voters, so an average of 1,000 per seat. So even if they all voted Labour it'd only make a difference in a handful of already-tight races.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

You ever live in a rural area you Nazi gently caress? The Hunt shows up trespasses on private land (aided by their dipshit fans who go around opening gates to fields full of livestock). They block roads and refuse to move. A whole bunch of posh folks block up the roads parking on verges so they can watch some other toffs run about in a field.

The worst part is they're just not allowed to hunt foxes with dogs. If they want to come along and be a bunch of arseholes they can do a drag hunt where a man runs a specific route scented up so the dogs will follow, they can keep off farms etc ... Where the fields are occupied and they can give their followers a rough guide of where they'll be at what time. The only difference is a small animal isn't either ripped to pieces or dies of exhaustion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wow, engaging with the Nazi was really productive guys, some top debate here :jerkbag:

I loved the polls showing the public agrees with Jezzas policies but also think his policies are unrealistic. British people are bad and dumb you guys.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

forkboy84 posted:

Wow, engaging with the Nazi was really productive guys, some top debate here :jerkbag:

I loved the polls showing the public agrees with Jezzas policies but also think his policies are unrealistic. British people are bad and dumb you guys.

I don't get ideas above my station m'lud.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Alchenar posted:

Polly Toynbee has it right, the manifesto is full of good and popular stuff but it doesn't matter if you haven't earned the credibility as a leader for people to believe you will be able to deliver it.

e: ps. this is definitely the narrative the left needs to start churning in the background if it wants to survive. Accept Corbyn was a terrible leader, focus on how popular the manifesto was. The left deserves to try again with someone a bit more prepared for the job.

Some loving nerve Toynbee has. Spends 2 years making GBS threads on the leadership along with her poo poo newspaper and then comes out with 'yea the policies are good but people don't like corbyn For Some Reason'

Also the idea that some other left leader with the same transformative policies would be treated better because they'd reply to buzzfeed emails quicker is so naive.

Nearly as naive as the 'soft left' in the Labour party who are kidding themselves that this manifesto would have been delivered by Owen Smith or Yvette Cooper

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 12, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

Some loving nerve Toynbee has. Spends 2 years making GBS threads on the leadership along with her poo poo newspaper and then comes out with 'yea the policies are good but people don't like corbyn For Some Reason'

Also the idea that some other left leader with the same transformative policies would be treated better because they'd reply to buzzfeed emails quicker is so naive.

Nearly as naive as the 'soft left' in the Labour party who are kidding themselves that this manifesto would have been delivered by Owen Smith or Yvette Cooper

Look if you ever want to see success then you are going to have to drop the 'hero of the revolution' cult attitude and make a hard nosed assessment of what worked and what didn't. Corbyn's problems perhaps run a bit deeper than having a poor relationship with Buzzfeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

if/when he loses just sit back and watch this get spun as, "well obviously the problem with jeremy corbyn was he said some remotely left-of-centre things sometimes"

• Locked thread